Unraveled: new LISK podcast with Chris Loeb interviews

What I find a bit interesting and I've mentioned this before even though it may mean nothing, is that JB has been found to haphazardly leave his gun (belt) laying around.
The first time it was mentioned that with Lowrita in his car (LR) he left his gun belt.

The second time is when Loeb broke into his car, his belt was also found in duffel bag along w the other *advertiser censored* stuff? I believe.

https://www.pix11.com/2013/10/21/em...-promoted-after-relationship-with-prostitute/

As for Loeb's credibility, that is a discussion worth having. After listening to episode 2 , it occurred to me that many individuals (with varying credibility) have made statements that all point to something much darker than some weekend fun going on with Burke.

To Re-Hash
  • Leanne's allegations about forced oral sex IN Oak Beach
  • Loeb's allegations about a snuff film in Burkes vehicle
  • Trotta's allegations that the second time he ever spoke to Burke, Burke asked him if he knew where to get a Snuff Film and went on in graphic detail about the appeal of fornicating with a dying woman
  • Sini allegations that key initiatives were canned and records were disposed of
  • Varrone being essentially forced into retirement and not even consulted after being the lead investigator on the case

It's not to mention that some of Shannan's personal belongings that were recovered somehow disappeared. Quite odd for articles of clothing of a potential homicide victim to be taken as evidence and then disappear. This is why the devil's advocate stance regarding DNA and how "if it was Burke, DNA would've confirmed it by now" holds no weight. Thats with all due respect to everyone who contributed to this discussion and has interest in the case.

Yes, in a department with integrity, DNA could go along way. It's evident we are are looking at an investigation that was sabotaged , intentionally, by the #1 and #2 Law Enforcement officers in Suffolk County at the time. Is there any case you can make for them doing honest work? One is a convicted felon and the other one is soon to be. They kept the FBI out of the investigation. What department with a real desire to solve this case keeps the FBI out?

The response Burke gave to his gym bag being stolen is at a level that suggests there is way more going on than him just being embarrassed at sex toys and *advertiser censored* DVD’s. He risked his career, the careers of other officers and Spota’s career in the response, beating and coverup. It must have been worth it for whatever was covered up.

He could have beat him up so he didn't get caught lifting evidence bags of drugs from the evidence room. He might just not like having his stuff stolen in general. Again, too many ques

So that tells me, we have yet to hear and know what was really in that bag and what was really on all of the DVD’s. Has there ever been a full inventory of what was in Burke’s bag and where did all those items, especially the DVD’s end up??

I don’t know if Burke is LISK, what if he knows who is? What if Shannan and the GB4 are not the result of a Serial Killer...what if they are the result of Snuff Films being produced in Suffolk Co??

I don’t know if this podcast will solve anything or answer any of the burning questions, but it’s worth the listen. And it’s not a an amateur podcast. Billy Jensen is an experienced investigative reporter and author. He was a journalist for a Long Island newspaper in the late 90’s and is now a tv producer for true crime. Alexis Linkletter is a true crime documentary producer. Both of them have ties to Long Island. Both of them have been involved in previous podcasts.
As for Loeb's credibility, that is a discussion worth having. After listening to episode 2 , it occurred to me that many individuals (with varying credibility) have made statements that all point to something much darker than some weekend fun going on with Burke.

To Re-Hash
  • Leanne's allegations about forced oral sex IN Oak Beach
  • Loeb's allegations about a snuff film in Burkes vehicle
  • Trotta's allegations that the second time he ever spoke to Burke, Burke asked him if he knew where to get a Snuff Film and went on in graphic detail about the appeal of fornicating with a dying woman
  • Sini allegations that key initiatives were canned and records were disposed of
  • Varrone being essentially forced into retirement and not even consulted after being the lead investigator on the case

It's not to mention that some of Shannan's personal belongings that were recovered somehow disappeared. Quite odd for articles of clothing of a potential homicide victim to be taken as evidence and then disappear. This is why the devil's advocate stance regarding DNA and how "if it was Burke, DNA would've confirmed it by now" holds no weight. Thats with all due respect to everyone who contributed to this discussion and has interest in the case.

Yes, in a department with integrity, DNA could go along way. It's evident we are are looking at an investigation that was sabotaged , intentionally, by the #1 and #2 Law Enforcement officers in Suffolk County at the time. Is there any case you can make for them doing honest work? One is a convicted felon and the other one is soon to be. They kept the FBI out of the investigation. What department with a real desire to solve this case keeps the FBI out?

It's not up to the District Attorney's office to prove he did honest police work. It's up to them to prove that, in this circumstance, James Burke killed each one of the victims. I'm hearing the first credible sounding person to enter this case saying James Burke said something crass and that he pushed the FBI out of the investigation. We don't know if that was simply one more poor decision in a long slew of bad decisions. We don't know that it wasn't an ego trip and that he thought that his Detectives were capable of solving this alone. We don't know if his motive was to prevent anyone with the authority to fire him, from finding out his nefarious deems that are not related to the LISK case, or from talking to his disgrunted staff. His motives are likely selfish but again, we're not anywhere close to putting him in cuffs for the LISK case. All that matters is what you can prove he did in court. If you convict the wrong person, a serial killer walks free. A serial killer. This is all flimsy evidence but atleast we're hearing more credible sources.

Last edited:
Reactions: LR1
What's interesting to note is that on Dec 17, 2010 Police held a conference stating that they "Completed" a "Comprehensive Search" on the north and south area of Ocean Pkwy. This was public info.

Then on March 29, 2011 they resumed their search and found human remains on March 30.
It took them only one day.

Then on April 4, they found the 3 more sets of human remains.

If they claimed to have done a comprehensive search back in Dec 2010, why didn't they find the other remains back then?
Is is possible that the SK(s) took the opportunity during a break in the search, to then dump those other remaining bodies during Dec 17-April 4?
It doesn't make sense that they had such an enormous search team but didn't find those other bodies during that time. I believe I read somewhere that Spota wanted to convey that there was more than one SK, to keep the FBI at bay. Something about if there was only one SK the FBI would not get involved?? I could be wrong going off the top of my head and I know it sounds odd.

Were the bodies purposely thrown into the mix to confuse the investigation even more, making it seem like there were more than one killer?
Sorry, not trying to cause more of a rabbit hole, just wondering why they didn't find the bodies prior. I believe the bodies were not put there until later...which would mean there is/was another dumping ground or a place where the bodies are being held. Were these his trophy pieces?

UPDATED: Timeline: Gilgo Beach Bodies Investigation

It's not up to the District Attorney's office to prove he did honest police work. It's up to them to prove that, in this circumstance, James Burke killed each one of the victims. I'm hearing the first credible sounding person to enter this case saying James Burke said something crass and that he pushed the FBI out of the investigation. We don't know if that was simply one more poor decision in a long slew of bad decisions. We don't know that it wasn't an ego trip and that he thought that his Detectives were capable of solving this alone. We don't know if his motive was to prevent anyone with the authority to fire him, from finding out his nefarious deems that are not related to the LISK case, or from talking to his disgrunted staff. His motives are likely selfish but again, we're not anywhere close to putting him in cuffs for the LISK case. All that matters is what you can prove he did in court. If you convict the wrong person, a serial killer walks free. A serial killer. This is all flimsy evidence but atleast we're hearing more credible sources.

It's clear we are discussing this from two different standpoints. In no way did I advocate for the arrest of Burke in the LISK case without sufficient evidence. I am simply providing reasons as to why his behavior warrants scrutiny and he should be consider a legitimate POI. Simply stating it needs further investigation and FBI intervention. We get that all of what I mentioned is not sufficient for conviction.

We are looking at an investigation of an investigation. So even if Burke was acting selfishly to keep his escapades under wraps, to throw an investigation for personal reasons is still, without a doubt, criminal. I am not sure why you are saying that Trotta is the first credible person to speak out against Burke. Sini & Hart both had their fair share to say as well. Guy Malone, as far as we know, also deserves the benefit of the doubt.

I don't think his motives were based on Job Security since his superior (and only superior) was Spota. Burke was appointed Chief after all the claims in the Internal Affairs report in 1995 were substantiated. His conduct decades prior was grounds for immediate termination and he wound up in charge of the entire department, that isn't a guy worried about job security.

I do believe that there is going to be more that comes to light that substantiates that this investigation was thrown, on purpose. This is also why they fought tooth & nail to prevent the 911 tapes from being handed over to Ray. Burkes yes man Vincent Stephan penned a letter to Newsday that was absolute BS from top to bottom......

What's interesting to note is that on Dec 17, 2010 Police held a conference stating that they "Completed" a "Comprehensive Search" on the north and south area of Ocean Pkwy. This was public info.

Then on March 29, 2011 they resumed their search and found human remains on March 30.
It took them only one day.

Then on April 4, they found the 3 more sets of human remains.

If they claimed to have done a comprehensive search back in Dec 2010, why didn't they find the other remains back then?
Is is possible that the SK(s) took the opportunity during a break in the search, to then dump those other remaining bodies during Dec 17-April 4?
It doesn't make sense that they had such an enormous search team but didn't find those other bodies during that time. I believe I read somewhere that Spota wanted to convey that there was more than one SK, to keep the FBI at bay. Something about if there was only one SK the FBI would not get involved?? I could be wrong going off the top of my head and I know it sounds odd.

Were the bodies purposely thrown into the mix to confuse the investigation even more, making it seem like there were more than one killer?
Sorry, not trying to cause more of a rabbit hole, just wondering why they didn't find the bodies prior. I believe the bodies were not put there until later...which would mean there is/was another dumping ground or a place where the bodies are being held. Were these his trophy pieces?

UPDATED: Timeline: Gilgo Beach Bodies Investigation

If you were the Serial Killer and your grave yard was just discovered by police and had mass media coverage, would you then go on a mission in the winter, to look for your other undiscovered victims from 20 years prior and relocate them to a place where police have been digging? Or would you be worried someone might be monitoring the disposal site? If you're not worried about that, what do you suppose it implies about that killer?

Reactions: LR1
It's clear we are discussing this from two different standpoints. In no way did I advocate for the arrest of Burke in the LISK case without sufficient evidence. I am simply providing reasons as to why his behavior warrants scrutiny and he should be consider a legitimate POI. Simply stating it needs further investigation and FBI intervention. We get that all of what I mentioned is not sufficient for conviction.

We are looking at an investigation of an investigation. So even if Burke was acting selfishly to keep his escapades under wraps, to throw an investigation for personal reasons is still, without a doubt, criminal. I am not sure why you are saying that Trotta is the first credible person to speak out against Burke. Sini & Hart both had their fair share to say as well. Guy Malone, as far as we know, also deserves the benefit of the doubt.

I don't think his motives were based on Job Security since his superior (and only superior) was Spota. Burke was appointed Chief after all the claims in the Internal Affairs report in 1995 were substantiated. His conduct decades prior was grounds for immediate termination and he wound up in charge of the entire department, that isn't a guy worried about job security.

I do believe that there is going to be more that comes to light that substantiates that this investigation was thrown, on purpose. This is also why they fought tooth & nail to prevent the 911 tapes from being handed over to Ray. Burkes yes man Vincent Stephan penned a letter to Newsday that was absolute BS from top to bottom......

Everyone is a person of interest until someone, hopefully the correct person, is convicted. It seems like the only person being scrutinized is Burke and his merry bunch of henchmen. (but that's just what this podcast is saying and they don't have access to evidence themselves so I take it at it's face value.... For the sake of entertainment and the expense of the family members broken hearts, they think Burke is LISK. Or they atleast want listeners to think it's Burke. They very quickly deny that being the message of the podcast.

I'm sure more suspects can be developed from phone records and emails and interviewing other women who look similar, who advertised on craigslist around that time. They made contact with LISK somewhere. He didn't kill everyone he came into contact with.

Also, Burke's job could have been at risk if any federal agent caught wind of a scandal or questionable conduct and took him to task. Also, IA, if a fellow officer were to report him, which someone eventually did. (So maybe the police aren't that corrupt after all, they're just slow to act). If Burke was stealing drugs from the evidence room and beating up the people who stole his stolen goods, then he has selfish reason enough to push the FBI out without being a serial killer.

At the end of episode 2, I still see no strength in the case presented against Burke. We'll see what next week rings I guess. Does anyone know how many episodes this is supposed to be?

If you were the Serial Killer and your grave yard was just discovered by police and had mass media coverage, would you then go on a mission in the winter, to look for your other undiscovered victims from 20 years prior and relocate them to a place where police have been digging? Or would you be worried someone might be monitoring the disposal site? If you're not worried about that, what do you suppose it implies about that killer?
Good points but we're talking about a SK and their brains are wired differently. We know he is methodical and controlling.
I just find it odd that they missed the remains during their first extensive search and then magically appeared within "one day " when they resumed their search in April. None of us know who is responsible but knowing Burke had others who lied under oath to protect him, should give us pause. Esp since he removed detectives working on the case that did not bow down to him, and kept the ones that did. It's all suspicious. Burke may have nothing to do with the victims, but there is much smoke surrounding him and some in the SCPD that we do not have answers to.

Everyone is a person of interest until someone, hopefully the correct person, is convicted. It seems like the only person being scrutinized is Burke and his merry bunch of henchmen. (but that's just what this podcast is saying and they don't have access to evidence themselves so I take it at it's face value.... For the sake of entertainment and the expense of the family members broken hearts, they think Burke is LISK. Or they atleast want listeners to think it's Burke. They very quickly deny that being the message of the podcast.

I'm sure more suspects can be developed from phone records and emails and interviewing other women who look similar, who advertised on craigslist around that time. They made contact with LISK somewhere. He didn't kill everyone he came into contact with.

Also, Burke's job could have been at risk if any federal agent caught wind of a scandal or questionable conduct and took him to task. Also, IA, if a fellow officer were to report him, which someone eventually did. (So maybe the police aren't that corrupt after all, they're just slow to act). If Burke was stealing drugs from the evidence room and beating up the people who stole his stolen goods, then he has selfish reason enough to push the FBI out without being a serial killer.

At the end of episode 2, I still see no strength in the case presented against Burke. We'll see what next week rings I guess. Does anyone know how many episodes this is supposed to be?

This article states that there will be 5 more episodes:
Questions For Cohost Of Unraveled: Long Island Serial Killer

Good points. And while it does seem there is an "agenda", this shouldn't be a surprise. Prior to the release of this podcast, it was stated that this one in particular was going to focus on the SCPD.

Also, you're spot on with the interviews and the killer(s) likely came into contact with many sex workers over the course of his/their, for lack of better terms , career. We'll see if any new information comes to light in the remaining episodes and while I do see the issue you have with this podcast being Burke-centric, it is looking at the case from a different and refreshing perspective since for 10 years we've mostly heard about Hackett, Brewer & Pak.

I'm curious if this podcast will mention Lindsay Henry or Rafael Astacio.

Good points. And while it does seem there is an "agenda", this shouldn't be a surprise. Prior to the release of this podcast, it was stated that this one in particular was going to focus on the SCPD.

Also, you're spot on with the interviews and the killer(s) likely came into contact with many sex workers over the course of his/their, for lack of better terms , career. We'll see if any new information comes to light in the remaining episodes and while I do see the issue you have with this podcast being Burke-centric, it is looking at the case from a different and refreshing perspective since for 10 years we've mostly heard about Hackett, Brewer & Pak.

I'm curious if this podcast will mention Lindsay Henry or Rafael Astacio.

Well, we can agree on that. This is a different perspective and everyone needed that. This case frustrates me.

The answers to cracking this case likely lay with other living women who were working in the sex trade around that time. Police need the info on anyone a SW saw twice or more. Especially if they were for out calls in general.

It actually astonishes me that New York doesn't have a commission or non-profit agency that monitors a site that records "bad dates". Usually it's set up like a third party reporting system that police monitor and use to set up stings and atleast get the guys names in a database. The women call a hotline number and report everything to the hotline operator, where they were, the time of day, the number or email address of the customer, the license plate of the car, a full detailed description of the suspect, the sex acts requested and performed and what went sideways. This information is so valuable. The women remain anonymous and don't interact with police directly with makes them feel more comfortable reporting the crime but the info about the suspects are sent off to police and they set up a sting to at the very least, get the name and MO on the record. This makes catching them easier later.

This info is also sent to other SW women and they can save the numbers and emails in the phones to say "don't answer. Bad date" and it keeps them safer.

If they had such a thing, this case would likely be less of a mystery.

Good points but we're talking about a SK and their brains are wired differently. We know he is methodical and controlling.
I just find it odd that they missed the remains during their first extensive search and then magically appeared within "one day " when they resumed their search in April.
Ahhh yes, the timing of the magical appearance or should I say ‘reappearance’ of the bodies was something that always gave me pause all these years. Seems Houdini got nothing on LISK.

That is under the assumption that perpetrator DNA was recovered from the bodies. As of now, that is anyones best guess as to whether DNA was collected, stored and properly preserved. As far as I am aware, neither the FBI or SCPD has spoken of any DNA profiles......

I do agree with you that there is a lot of smoke to look through, much of it caused by humans, either by the intentional spread of misinformation or honest human errors.

I’ve listened to the first two episodes of this podcast, and I disagree w. your interpretation that the primary goal is to make Burke out to be LISK.
The primary goal, as far as I’ve heard, is to investigate the reasons why the SCPD Chief of Police would decide to shut down/thwart/pull essential resources away from what is arguably the biggest, most sensational case in the history of SCPD. It does beg the question: “Why?”

Why would the newly appointed SCPD Chief not want to be briefed on the particulars of the LISK case by the detectives who knew the case best, had been working on it for over a year, and who could unquestionably offer tremendous insight into the investigation?

I’m not sure that the podcast is insinuating that Burke is a suspect, as much as it is about trying to make sense of why the then newly appointed SCPD Chief would remove nearly all of the detectives who had been working on the LISK investigation up to that point (replacing them instead w. the detectives that worked w. him for assistant district attorney’s office), why he would not want them to share everything they knew with him, why he removed the FBI from participating in the investigation, why he suspended what was then an ongoing search for more bodies until the spring (it was too cold?), and on and on...
In order to answer any of those questions, they have to investigate HIM in order to try to make any sense of these decisions that he made, which on the surface appear to have absolutely no logical explanation.

I’ve listened to the first two episodes of this podcast, and I disagree w. your interpretation that the primary goal is to make Burke out to be LISK.
The primary goal, as far as I’ve heard, is to investigate the reasons why the SCPD Chief of Police would decide to shut down/thwart/pull essential resources away from what is arguably the biggest, most sensational case in the history of SCPD. It does beg the question: “Why?”

Why would the newly appointed SCPD Chief not want to be briefed on the particulars of the LISK case by the detectives who knew the case best, had been working on it for over a year, and who could unquestionably offer tremendous insight into the investigation?

I’m not sure that the podcast is insinuating that Burke is a suspect, as much as it is about trying to make sense of why the then newly appointed SCPD Chief would remove nearly all of the detectives who had been working on the LISK investigation up to that point (replacing them instead w. the detectives that worked w. him for assistant district attorney’s office), why he would not want them to share everything they knew with him, why he removed the FBI from participating in the investigation, why he suspended what was then an ongoing search for more bodies until the spring (it was too cold?), and on and on...
In order to answer any of those questions, they have to investigate HIM in order to try to make any sense of these decisions that he made, which on the surface appear to have absolutely no logical explanation.
I agree with you 100%. I don't think they are focusing on Burke either, he just happens to "show up" everywhere in this case, how can he not be the main topic?

I agree with you 100%. I don't think they are focusing on Burke either, he just happens to "show up" everywhere in this case, how can he not be the main topic?
Right...And in investigating him (Burke), this podcast is really just putting together facts about him that were already known and have been documented, in an attempt to answer all of those questions.

So I am confused.
Unraveled starts out with a cliff hanger that should have been a Episode 1, but they started out with a BOOM of
what Chris discovered in Burke's underwear - the snuff films of guys in hoods beating raping
choking and about to kill the victim(s). Why tell all in 1st episode - ok -

and then Burke asks Trotta where to get a snuff film because Trotta looks like he would know because he
has the record - or numbers for most arrests in one year?
So apparently
Burke equates a police with high numbers for most arrests in one year = Trotta enjoying snuff films to Burke?

And Burke is supposed to be really smart?
hello?

No matter who you are - bad things are going to happen to you in the world of Burke - and Spota.

Just ask the 4
victims framed for killing Pius;
Just ask Marty Tankleff;

Just ask Michael Divers;
Just ask Judge Namm;
Just ask Careccia;
Just ask George Guldi;
Just ask Leeann;

Just ask Chris Loeb;

Just ask Shannan Gilbert or Mari Gilbert or Sarra Gilbert who unfortunately has the slimiest loser lawyer in USA.

Everyman has his dog. Ray is Spota's dog.get on your knees and bark for your supper John Ray.

Last edited:
I agree w. you that Spota/Burke equals criminality; the courts have substantiated as well...
But Ray is Spota’s dog? I have no idea what that means. Can you explain? I’ve heard several interviews w. John Ray re: this investigation. I’ve never got the impression that he is, as you say, a slimeball, and he’s never spoken of Spota or Burke w. anything but disdain...
What am I missing?

I agree w. you that Spota/Burke equals criminality; the courts have substantiated as well...
But Ray is Spota’s dog? I have no idea what that means. Can you explain? I’ve heard several interviews w. John Ray re: this investigation. I’ve never got the impression that he is, as you say, a slimeball, and he’s never spoken of Spota or Burke w. anything but disdain...
What am I missing?

the con.

he is spota's dog - you'll see.
woof woof he does spota's bidding
and hackett's

and scpd and scda

https://www.tiktok.com/@christopher...6772932888069&is_from_webapp=v2&is_copy_url=0

Attachments

• prison ray.jpg
    prison ray.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 33
  • shanan cross .jpg
    shanan cross .jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online