Found Deceased NE- Amber Tjaden, 48, Weeping Water, 27 Jan 2021

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Cass County Sheriff's Office - NE
2 hrs ago
The Cass County Sheriff's Office continues to investigate the disappearance of Amber Tjaden with the assistance of the Nebraska State Patrol and the Omaha Police Department. Matthew Tjaden and his extended family have been cooperating with law enforcement in facilitating searches and gathering of information. An aerial search was conducted as well as ground searches in the Cass County Area. Investigators are following up on tips that come in from the general public and friends of the family. Bulletins have been sent out nationwide and the sheriff's department continues to request the public to provide any information that may assist in finding Amber Tjaden.

I hadn't noticed this before about where her cell phone pinged. This news article was from a few days ago but appears to have been updated yesterday. Maybe that's when the note was added about where her phone last pinged. (Or else I just wasn't paying close enough attention the first time I read it.)

https://fremonttribune.com

"Tjaden was told by a deputy sergeant that the sergeant would be pinging Amber’s cell phone in an attempt to locate the car she was driving. The sergeant said he would be doing that from Tjaden’s home. Tjaden seemed upset that the sergeant wouldn’t leave the property. Amber’s cell was last pinged at 5 p.m. near 50th Street and Hobscheidt Road on Wednesday."

I hadn't noticed this before about where her cell phone pinged. This news article was from a few days ago but appears to have been updated yesterday. Maybe that's when the note was added about where her phone last pinged. (Or else I just wasn't paying close enough attention the first time I read it.)

https://fremonttribune.com

"Tjaden was told by a deputy sergeant that the sergeant would be pinging Amber’s cell phone in an attempt to locate the car she was driving. The sergeant said he would be doing that from Tjaden’s home. Tjaden seemed upset that the sergeant wouldn’t leave the property. Amber’s cell was last pinged at 5 p.m. near 50th Street and Hobscheidt Road on Wednesday."
Good catch! Except I can't find a 50th Street that intersects with Hobscheidt Rd. o_O It should be right about here but as you can see, there are no roads between 42nd and 54th. 40°53'09.1"N 95°59'21.0"W - Google Maps

There is a Hwy 50 that intersects with Hobscheidt. If this is correct, I hope they are searching just south of that point in this area: 40°52'56.9"N 96°10'41.4"W - Google Maps

Good catch! Except I can't find a 50th Street that intersects with Hobscheidt Rd. o_O It should be right about here but as you can see, there are no roads between 42nd and 54th. 40°53'09.1"N 95°59'21.0"W - Google Maps

There is a Hwy 50 that intersects with Hobscheidt. If this is correct, I hope they are searching just south of that point in this area: 40°52'56.9"N 96°10'41.4"W - Google Maps

I think you are correct that it is Hwy 50. Their home is located several miles NE of the town of Weeping Water. It would have taken approximately 8-9 minutes to travel from their home on McKelvie Road to the location where her cell phone last pinged at 5PM. Her husband stated they had an argument around 4PM.

I'm fearful that Amber and her vehicle might be in the Missouri River. There was a lot of snow on the ground at the time, so I'm trying to think this through but that seems to me to be a likely place as the river is deep and it has rapid currents and if you look at the map, it would only take about 1/2 hour to get there. Lots of things end up in the Missouri River and are never found.

All JMO

Last edited:
I think you are correct that it is Hwy 50. Their home is located several miles NE of the town of Weeping Water. It would have taken approximately 8-9 minutes to travel from their home on McKelvie Road to the location where her cell phone last pinged at 5PM. Her husband stated they had an argument around 4PM.

I'm fearful that Amber and her vehicle might be in the Missouri River. There was a lot of snow on the ground at the time, so I'm trying to think this through but that seems to me to be a likely place as the river is deep and it has rapid currents and if you look at the map, it would only take about 1/2 hour to get there. Lots of things end up in the Missouri River and are never found.

All JMO
Okay, I looked at three different routes from the home to where her phone pinged, if in fact Hwy 50 & Hobscheidt is the correct location. Hwy 1 shows the fastest - 10 minutes.

From there to the river on Hwy 34 is another 6 minutes, so 16 minutes total. Does this look right to you?

10418 McKelvie Rd | Hwy 50 & Hobscheidt | Hwy 34/Missouri River

Okay, I looked at three different routes from the home to where her phone pinged, if in fact Hwy 50 & Hobscheidt is the correct location. Hwy 1 shows the fastest - 10 minutes.

From there to the river on Hwy 34 is another 6 minutes, so 16 minutes total. Does this look right to you?

10418 McKelvie Rd | Hwy 50 & Hobscheidt | Hwy 34/Missouri River

Yes, and I do think you are correct that it was Hwy 50 & Hobscheidt. If the vehicle was traveling south on Hwy 50, go east on Hwy 34 and go through the town of Union, Nebraska. The Missouri River is just east of Union. That said, I can't really tell by the map if there would be the ability to drive into the river from where Hwy 34 ends past Union. To get to the river via Union, it would take about a half hour from where the phone last pinged.

On the other hand, if the vehicle was traveling north on Hwy 50 and went east and then north (several roads where this could be done), there is Plattsmouth, Nebraska. There are two bridges in Plattsmouth that cross the Missouri River and there is also a road called River Road and just south of Plattsmouth, it appears on the map that River Road runs very, very close to the river.

That said, there was over a foot of snow two days before Amber disappeared. This could make driving a vehicle into the river problematic because if the roads were plowed, there would be snow banks. From where the phone last pinged, it would take approximately 30 minutes driving time to get to Plattsmouth.

JMO, there are a lot of places to hide a body in that county. There is a lot of farmland but there are areas of timber and there are rock quarries. To hide the car would be much more problematic, and that is what makes me think it might be in the Missouri River. Another possibility in hiding the car might be an abandoned barn or in a rented garage.

All JMO.

ETA: My thoughts are the vehicle was headed south on HWY 50. If it was going to Plattsmouth, there was a more direct route from their home.

Last edited:
FEB 5, 2021
Search continues for missing Weeping Water woman

20326867_G.jpg

The Cass County Sheriff's Office says that authorities continue to look for 48-year-old Amber Tjaden...

The Nebraska State Patrol and the Omaha Police Department are helping in the investigation.

Authorities say they have conducted aerial and ground searches in the Cass County area.

[...]

More details. These surprised me a bit. This now lists her having last contact at 9PM while the earlier report mentioned her cell phone last pinging at 5PM. So maybe last contact was not made via her cell? Also a comment that she had "gone somewhere before after an arguement" & a reference to if she had "done it on her own" which seem to muddy the waters a bit.

From People:

"...Police said Amber, who manages the Gateway to College program at Metropolitan Community College, left home around 3 p.m. and spoke to her daughter, who lives in Omaha, around 9 p.m..

"The daughter had contact by phone after the fact," Cass County Sheriff's Office Captain David Lamprecht tells PEOPLE."

"..."[Amber] has gone somewhere in the past after an argument, so it is hard to say where she is," Lamprecht says. "I would have thought she would have surfaced by this time. it is anybody's guess. She is missing and nobody knows where."

"..."It is hard to say where she thought of going if she had done it on her own," he says. "That is why we are hoping to locate the car, so at least we will have an area to go looking [in]. We would love to find her. The sooner the better." "

Jan 27
•Amber had an argument with her husband
3pm (according to Police Seek Leads After Adult Daughter of Former Omaha Mayor Vanished from Her Home Last Month) Amber left her home driving her SUV
4pm (according to her husband’s account on Help requested for finding Weeping Water woman, husband arrested on other charges) Amber left her home driving her SUV
5pm- last phone ping located at 50th Street (Hwy 50) and Hobscheidt Road.
9pm-spoke to her daughter
Later, her daughter attempted to call her again but the calls went to voicemail.

Jan 28
10:20am
- Amber’s daughter reported her missing

Amber’s phone is thought to be off due to there not being any other pings.
Her bank accounts have not shown any activity.
Her On-Star service is not activated.

Help requested for finding Weeping Water woman, husband arrested on other charges
Police Seek Leads After Adult Daughter of Former Omaha Mayor Vanished from Her Home Last Month
https://rivercountry.newschannelnebraska.com/story/43266191/weeping-water-woman-missing

Questions that come up:
1. What time did Amber supposedly drive away from her home, 3pm or 4pm?
2. Were her two sons witness to this argument?
3. Wouldn’t when she talked to her daughter at 9pm be the last cellphone ping, not the one at 5pm?

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

upload_2021-2-5_18-40-8.png
5’4”
130lbs

Circumstances of Disappearance
The missing person, Amber Tjaden, was last seen on 01/27/2021 in Weeping Water, Nebraska. She is believed to be driving her black Jaguar, F-Pace model SUV displaying Nebraska license plate 20T638. Amber is described as a 48 year old, Caucasian female, 5'04" tall, 130 lbs., with blond/strawberry blond hair and brown eyes.

Transportation
2019 Jaguar

Style SUV
Color Black
State. Nebraska
License Plate20T638
Expiration Year--
Comments: Model is not listed in drop down list. It is a F-pace Crossover SUV.

Jan 27
3pm (according to Police Seek Leads After Adult Daughter of Former Omaha Mayor Vanished from Her Home Last Month) Amber left her home driving her SUV
4pm (according to her husband’s account on Help requested for finding Weeping Water woman, husband arrested on other charges) Amber left her home driving her SUV
Later, her daughter attempted to call her again but the calls went to voicemail.

Jan 28

Help requested for finding Weeping Water woman, husband arrested on other charges
Police Seek Leads After Adult Daughter of Former Omaha Mayor Vanished from Her Home Last Month
Deputy: 'eyes and ears of public' may help find Amber Tjaden

Questions that come up:
3. Wouldn’t when she talked to her daughter at 9pm be the last cellphone ping, not the one at 5pm?

These are very good questions. The "People" article has provided a lot more information than any other articles I've read so far. I'm very interested in whether her two sons witnessed the argument and her departure from the home and where was her vehicle when her daughter talked to her at 9 PM.

I'm praying she is ok, but from everything I've read, it doesn't sound good. She's had no contact with her children or parents and her bank account hasn't been accessed and it has been over a week since she disappeared.

Jan 27

Jan 28

Deputy: 'eyes and ears of public' may help find Amber Tjaden

Questions that come up:
IMO, I feel like there's a good chance People got the date/time info incorrect when referencing the time her daughter last talked to her. I just seem to think I've read somewhere else that her daughter last talked to her the night before she went missing. Also, I feel like her daughter reported her missing the same day she was last seen. The People article sounds like her daughter talked to her the same day she was last seen and reported her missing the following day. ...I can't provide a link (yet) to support this but I think the People article may be incorrect and should confirm & clarify those details.

If she really left the house at 3-4pm and was still alive (talking to her daughter) at 9pm, that somehow gives me a little hope that she's still alive. Need to know where she pinged at 9pm and would be good to know where her family members were for the subsequent 12 hour period.

IMO, I feel like there's a good chance People got the date/time info incorrect when referencing the time her daughter last talked to her. I just seem to think I've read somewhere else that her daughter last talked to her the night before she went missing. Also, I feel like her daughter reported her missing the same day she was last seen. The People article sounds like her daughter talked to her the same day she was last seen and reported her missing the following day. ...I can't provide a link (yet) to support this but I think the People article may be incorrect and should confirm & clarify those details.
There is some directly conflicting info here. The story from People cites a direct quote from Captain David Lamprecht of the Sheriff's Dept. that states Amber’s daughter last had contact with Amber "after the fact". "After the fact" would seem to refer to after the time Amber "left" on the afternoon of the 27th. This seems to indicate that the article from People is citing the 9PM phone call as having happened on the 27th as well.

However, Amber’s daughter (SS) commented on a post of the People article that was made to the Missing Amber FB group and stated that People had that timeline info wrong. So, assuming the daughter knows when she last talked to her mom, (I mean, she should be the correct source of info on that, right?) that would indicate the People article is incorrect. And if People truly got that bad info directly from the Sheriff's department, then the Sheriff's dept must be confused as well. I really hope that Captain Lamprecht is just a spokesman for the SO that was reading from some wrong notes. Hopefully other officers involved in the investigation have the correct details to work from.

I also can't support why I think the "People" article is incorrect, but this is very strange because the article actually quotes the Cass Co. Sheriff's Office Captain. In one quote he supposedly stated that her daughter spoke to her around 9PM on the night she went missing. He stated they spoke "after the fact". I'm not sure what he means "after the fact" - is that after she went missing or after the fight with her husband? He's quoted as also stating "Amber has gone somewhere in the past after an argument, so it is hard to say where she is," Lamprecht says. "I would have thought she would have surfaced by this time it is anybody's guess. She is missing and nobody knows where.".

Very strange, IMO.

If she really left the house at 3-4pm and was still alive (talking to her daughter) at 9pm, that somehow gives me a little hope that she's still alive. Need to know where she pinged at 9pm and would be good to know where her family members were for the subsequent 12 hour period.

That's how I felt when I read the "People" article, but I think there's something amiss with either the article, or someone in the sheriff's office is confused about when Amber's daughter last spoke to her. JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aib51
Back