TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
RBBM. Wait, what? I thought the clothing was not with the backpack. in that body cam footage still they've released, you can see the clothing is far off the distance (has it been stated where the backpack was found in relation to the clothes or accident site?).
You saw the correct scene and placement as depicted in still photo taken from the BWC of the DPS trooper first responder. Carry on....

Right. And... just shorts and a t-shirt?

Not sure if your question about shorts and a t-shirt were 'that's all he had with him?' or if you were surprised at how little he was wearing on such a cold night. If the latter I want to relay something I've seen a lot of here. Middle school and high school students, standing, at the bus stops, wearing nothing but shorts and a t-shirt (or less on top if a girl) in weather in the 30s and low 40s!!! I'd shake my head thinking they were all crazy. lol And there was a guy at work that wore short and sandals every single day of the year. NEVER once saw him in pants. I used to tease him about it. He made me cold just looking at him! So if the latter, his outfit wouldn't surprise me for someone his age. Ahhhh... to be young again. lol :p

I agree.
I remember that particular part of the interview. It stood out because Websleuths was mentioned right before they discussed this....WS members were questioning whether Jason was expected to be coming home that night or not based on one of Jason’s mom’s interviews. His father stated Jason was coming home for the holidays but the specific day was not exactly known.

ETA: IMO I believe Jason was making his way home that night...again JMO
BBM
I think so also.

Most college students have a couple of bags of clothing etc. that they take home to wash and dry at parents home.

would this be as common if he was living in an apartment though? (Assuming the apartment had washer dryer in it or even on property). I feel like this would be most common for living in a dorm situation but maybe not an apartment situation for some reason.

Is Waze still owned by Google?
I found an example of a search warrant for Waze from FBI but I don't know if I can post it or not because its marked sealed and there exists the possibility it was unsealed in error and not meant to see the light of day and it's only 2018.
I found another link though
https://www.washingtonpost.com/gdpr-consent/?next_url=https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2019/11/21/bank-robber-accuses-police-illegally-using-google-location-data-catch-him/

I was searching for a more friendly timeline for compliance than the one presented to Jason's dad.
Yes, Google acquired Waze for something like $900 million in 2013.

would this be as common if he was living in an apartment though? (Assuming the apartment had washer dryer in it or even on property). I feel like this would be most common for living in a dorm situation but maybe not an apartment situation for some reason.

All room configurations (from 2 bed/2.5 bath to the 5 bed/5.5 bath) at the Retreats have a washer and dryer. JL would likely only need to bring laundry home if he was moving (either at the end of the spring semester or if he had another place to live).

He had a bag of personal toiletries with him, as well his laptop and video game gear. I do think he intended to drive home, even though people are mentioning a lot of things that seem out of place. Also noted is that he wouldn't bring the fish with him if he wasn't going home.

The only thing is , we don't know if he was traveling low speed and/or if he was rear ended.
Yes, the brunt of the accident affected the rear end of his vehicle, but we don't know he was actually rear ended by another car and we don't know how fast or slow he was traveling.
So, In my mind, a head injury could still have happened, depending on how the accident happened, which we don't know.

I agree
Impact to the head is not a requirement to sustain a brain injury in a motor vehicle accident

Traumatic Brain Injury | Johns Hopkins Medicine
Traumatic Brain Injury

This is all just a point of view. Not really even speculation, though I have wondered.
Many of my college friends make it a point to spend time with their friends ON THE WAY HOME for breaks. They’ll spend a few days staying with a friend in between campus and home, then continue on to their parents. That’s one possibility for why he could have his gaming gear, toiletries, and fish like he was going home, yet hadn’t told his parents. Maybe he was going to stay nearby until sis got home and then hop over.

The clothes he was wearing were left on the road and there is no report of any other clothing in the car but he was going home for the holidays. He would have been going to services, seeing friends, his sister was coming home but he had no clothes with him?

It causes me to think back to when Elizabeth Smart was abducted. They forced her to remove all of her own clothing and put on a robe-type garment.

Some states use orange, others yellow, and some bright green stickers. Shape and the location they are placed on the car also vary by jurisdiction.
But if a vehicle is removed immediately there wouldn't be a need to place such a sticker on them.

I agree
Impact to the head is not a requirement to sustain a brain injury in a motor vehicle accident

Traumatic Brain Injury | Johns Hopkins Medicine
Traumatic Brain Injury
But guys you are assuming... you need to read the study I linked and info about force and Dv values. The likelihood of him receiving a head injury from that in the form of a concussion is small. I read at least (ok skimmed) 5 papers on it. Even some specific to his age of car or time period.

Don't let the title of the study fool you. It gives stats on all rear-end collisions which is what is suspected here.
But it wasn't an actual rear end collision (which is when a car is hit from behind) where the headrest on the seat offers some protection.
This was really a side impact that happened at the rear of the car which could have resulted in a violent snap of the head/neck sideways as there is no protection in that direction.

But it wasn't an actual rear end collision (which is when a car is hit from behind) where the headrest on the seat offers some protection.
This was really a side impact that happened at the rear of the car which could have resulted in a violent snap of the head/neck sideways as there is no protection in that direction.
Well I’m not a crash expert by any means. But I guess what you and others are saying is you disagree with LE’s assesment in that the operator of the vehicle was able to walk away with “little to no injury” to quote them exactly.

What I read about rear impact was never about headrest giving support. It was more about seatbelt and what your body does because of height, stature, gender, size of vehicle, weight of vehicle and speed. It was interesting.

Well I’m not a crash expert by any means. But I guess what you and others are saying is you disagree with LE’s assesment in that the operator of the vehicle was able to walk away with “little to no injury” to quote them exactly.

What I read about rear impact was never about headrest giving support. It was more about seatbelt and what your body does because of height, stature, gender, size of vehicle, weight of vehicle and speed. It was interesting.
I'm not a medical expert, so I cannot argue with what LE said or meant when they said "Investigation of that accident scene leads authorities to believe that the operator was able to walk away from the collision with little or no injury".
I speculate that they made that comment based on their experience due to the lack of blood in the car and the lack of an apparent "head into glass' impact.

Just another anecdotal point from a rare poster, frequent reader- I was hit on my driver's side by a large truck on a highway, both of us going ~70 MPH (he, a little faster than I). My car (2008 Jetta) spun several times, car was totaled, driver's side doors smashed in and inoperable, no air bags deployed. I did have my seat belt on. I was totally unscathed, not even soreness. Sort of a miracle, but my experience lends me to believe non-injury is totally possible...Especially if he spun and lost momentum before impact.

I'm not a medical expert, so I cannot argue with what LE said or meant when they said "Investigation of that accident scene leads authorities to believe that the operator was able to walk away from the collision with little or no injury".
I speculate that they made that comment based on their experience due to the lack of blood in the car and the lack of an apparent "head into glass' impact.

This may be the case; I can’t disagree...but I hope LE doesn’t merely use the presence (or lack of) blood amount or body-glass impact to assess the severity of one’s injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong