CANADA - shooter in RCMP vehicle & uniform, 22 killed (plus perp), Portapique, NS, 18 April 2020 #3

I just read something which caught my eye in the redacted documents. The shooter stole Joey Webber's SUV, and then switched it over with Gina Goulet's car shortly after. In the abandoned SUV, they found a Correctional Services Jacket, probably stolen from Sean McLeod, and McLeod's wallet. Why would he steal the coat? Or the wallet? Was he planning on leaving such things behind at a crime scene to frame McLeod?
The shooter was dressed in police clothing, distinctive from a correctional officer. But those items would readily linked to McLeod and perhaps some sort of framing attempt?

It just struck me as odd. But then again, I saw where Tom Bagley's daughter wants to know why the shooter took the time to remove her father's boots from his dead body. What was going on in that warped mind?

I just read something which caught my eye in the redacted documents. The shooter stole Joey Webber's SUV, and then switched it over with Gina Goulet's car shortly after. In the abandoned SUV, they found a Correctional Services Jacket, probably stolen from Sean McLeod, and McLeod's wallet. Why would he steal the coat? Or the wallet? Was he planning on leaving such things behind at a crime scene to frame McLeod?
The shooter was dressed in police clothing, distinctive from a correctional officer. But those items would readily linked to McLeod and perhaps some sort of framing attempt?

It just struck me as odd. But then again, I saw where Tom Bagley's daughter wants to know why the shooter took the time to remove her father's boots from his dead body. What was going on in that warped mind?

Pure craziness, that’s for sure. That he collected pieces of police uniform including parade boots prior to his killing spree along with everything else we know about him, seems to me he was driven by severe obsessive compulsive tendencies which will never be understood.

Maybe he going to use Sean McLeod’s ID and Correctional Services jacket to impersonate him in an effort to flee?

GW had slippers and RCMP boots with him. I was thinking of your question of why, if accurate, the killer may have taken a victim’s boots...then this popped up on my Twitter feed—

Trigger warning as it contains violence, but there’s breaking news tonight about what the killer and LB were doing that night, and details of how he attacked her.

One thing he did was to rip her shoes off her feet. ETA: (In context, my impression is that this may have been to stop her from running away.)

Start of Twitter thread with breaking news (caution, graphic):
https://twitter.com/Tim_Bousquet/status/1359981362908983296?s=20

2nd ETA: From Global News: (Same trigger warning, violence).
‘According to Banfield’s account, an argument started during an evening party to celebrate their 19th anniversary at the “warehouse,” one of the buildings the gunman owned in Portapique, N.S. During a FaceTime call to discuss holding a “commitment ceremony” for their 20th anniversary, a friend had suggested “don’t do it,” the witness statement says.’
Court documents says mass shooter’s spouse was beaten, begged for life before escape

Last edited:
One interesting detail in the released information caught my eye.

"Gabriel Wortman poured gasoline all inside the cottage and told Lisa Banfield to grab the gun out of the cottage. They started to walk back to the warehouse so Gabriel could burn that."

Perhaps it was not loaded, but it is odd she would be permitted to handle firearms at such a frightening time. Also, she had one wrist handcuffed, but Leon Joudrey never mentions this on her when she went to his house early in the morning.

As I stated above, the more info which is released seems to only generate more questions!

The common law partner of the shooter, Lisa Banfield, seems to be more involved in the murders than anyone thought. Did she grab a gun before before they went towards the neighbours to shoot them?

The story timeline is confusing. They walked through the woods with guns to shoot the neighbours, but then she's back at their house locked in his car.

Meanwhile, she has portrayed herself as a victim and wants access to his wealth.

"He "told her to get dressed and said, 'It's done,'" the records said. He then doused the log cabin-style cottage with gasoline and told Banfield to grab a gun from inside.

Banfield was added as a defendant this week to the proposed class-action lawsuit launched by families of the victims. Her brother, James Banfield, and her brother-in-law, Brian Brewster, were also named as defendants.

A statement of claim in the civil case alleges that she "was aware of and facilitated Wortman's preparations, including but not limited to, his accumulation of firearms, ammunition, other weapons, gasoline, police paraphernalia, and the outfitting of a replica RCMP vehicle." The allegations have not been tested in court.

James Banfield and Brewster are also charged with unlawfully providing the shooter with .223-calibre Remington cartridges and .40-calibre Smith & Wesson cartridges in the month leading up to the massacre. All three are due back in court March 9.

In a separate lawsuit, Lisa Banfield is suing her former partner's estate, which is valued at $2.1 million and includes six properties, three corporations and $705,000 in cash seized from the wreckage of the cottage."
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova...ngs-lisa-banfield-police-statements-1.5911199

The common law partner of the shooter, Lisa Banfield, seems to be more involved in the murders than anyone thought. Did she grab a gun before before they went towards the neighbours to shoot them?

The story timeline is confusing. They walked through the woods with guns to shoot the neighbours, but then she's back at their house locked in his car.

It would be helpful if we could see the actual documents and not just articles about them. I think parts of them are still redacted, so that might explain why the story seems so fragmented. Does anyone have a link to the documents?

Part of the confusion may be because some things take place at the cottage and some things at the "warehouse"? The walk through the woods (after he told her to grab a gun) seems to be from the cottage (where he had just beaten her up and doused the place with gasoline) to the warehouse. The replica police car was at the warehouse. I wonder if it was still inside, like the photos we saw of it?

It is not clear to me if "shooting the neighbours" was an idea tied to the statement "It's done" (as in some kind of plan put into play where she might have known what he meant) or if it arose after she escaped and the gunman may have been furiously looking for her.

MOO

It would be helpful if we could see the actual documents and not just articles about them. I think parts of them are still redacted, so that might explain why the story seems so fragmented. Does anyone have a link to the documents?

Part of the confusion may be because some things take place at the cottage and some things at the "warehouse"? The walk through the woods (after he told her to grab a gun) seems to be from the cottage (where he had just beaten her up and doused the place with gasoline) to the warehouse. The replica police car was at the warehouse. I wonder if it was still inside, like the photos we saw of it?

It is not clear to me if "shooting the neighbours" was an idea tied to the statement "It's done" (as in some kind of plan put into play where she might have known what he meant) or if it arose after she escaped and the gunman may have been furiously looking for her.

MOO

I agree, it annoys me when reporters only offer written regurgitation of ITO’s without releasing the actual documents received from the Court. Between the partial portions of statements contained in ITOs in support of LE’s Search Warrants and then redactions prior to their release, often times context raises questions and various interpretation is possible.

Meanwhile, she has portrayed herself as a victim and wants access to his wealth.

"He "told her to get dressed and said, 'It's done,'" the records said. He then doused the log cabin-style cottage with gasoline and told Banfield to grab a gun from inside.

Banfield was added as a defendant this week to the proposed class-action lawsuit launched by families of the victims. Her brother, James Banfield, and her brother-in-law, Brian Brewster, were also named as defendants.

A statement of claim in the civil case alleges that she "was aware of and facilitated Wortman's preparations, including but not limited to, his accumulation of firearms, ammunition, other weapons, gasoline, police paraphernalia, and the outfitting of a replica RCMP vehicle." The allegations have not been tested in court.

James Banfield and Brewster are also charged with unlawfully providing the shooter with .223-calibre Remington cartridges and .40-calibre Smith & Wesson cartridges in the month leading up to the massacre. All three are due back in court March 9.

In a separate lawsuit, Lisa Banfield is suing her former partner's estate, which is valued at $2.1 million and includes six properties, three corporations and $705,000 in cash seized from the wreckage of the cottage."
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova...ngs-lisa-banfield-police-statements-1.5911199

It’s just my opinion, but I think two things can be true at the same time: she was abused by him, and she was also a willing and active participant in enabling his eventual crimes. The first doesn’t excuse her liability, IMO.

According to LB’s statement:

“From the trees she heard a couple of men at a house on one of the nearby back roads, she said. There were gunshots. Then there was silence.

Then the house went up in flames.

She hid there, in the woods, on a night where temperatures flirted with the freezing mark, until morning. She’d had a jacket, but had discarded it during her flight, hoping the police would find it.

In the morning, she crawled out to the road and knocked on Leon Joudrey’s door — the first house she could see. He called the police.”

‘It’s done’: Nova Scotia mass shooting documents reveal how anniversary drinks erupted into an abuser’s fury, then carnage

Maybe I’m missing it because I’m not following this case closely, but I don’t understand why she didn’t raise the alarm right after she heard and saw the above.

I cannot find the source for the newly released info, but I stumbled across it on a video channel "Little Grey Cells" who went thru it page by page over the course of 3 hours.

The documents show GW and LB were at the warehouse, then to the cottage and back to the warehouse. I have wondered where the mock cruiser was at the time. Also, when did he change into his uniform? He was wearing it at the Gulenchyn house, but did he have it on when LB last saw him?

People made 911 calls to report gunshots. They also called regarding fires, specifically the "cottage", the "warehouse" and the Gulenchyn home. Why are there no reports (that I can find) about the Zahl home? The Zahl home was between the Griffons who reported the GW cottage on fire, but missed a fire closer to their own home? Seems weird to me.

The reports are sloppily written, changing repeatedly from first to third person, and not what I would expect from so important a series of papers.

I cannot find the source for the newly released info, but I stumbled across it on a video channel "Little Grey Cells" who went thru it page by page over the course of 3 hours.

The documents show GW and LB were at the warehouse, then to the cottage and back to the warehouse. I have wondered where the mock cruiser was at the time. Also, when did he change into his uniform? He was wearing it at the Gulenchyn house, but did he have it on when LB last saw him?

People made 911 calls to report gunshots. They also called regarding fires, specifically the "cottage", the "warehouse" and the Gulenchyn home. Why are there no reports (that I can find) about the Zahl home? The Zahl home was between the Griffons who reported the GW cottage on fire, but missed a fire closer to their own home? Seems weird to me.

The reports are sloppily written, changing repeatedly from first to third person, and not what I would expect from so important a series of papers.

Had the shooter changed into the police uniform prior to this alleged shuffle was taking place, we don’t know. But when she came out of hiding the next morning, it was a detail she mentioned in addition to the vehicle and guns.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova...-girlfriend-stole-victim-vehicle-ns-1.5543194
“When the woman emerged from hiding at daybreak Sunday, she shared crucial details with police — including that Wortman had a police uniform, a mock-up police cruiser, a pistol and rifles, RCMP said during Friday's update....”

It’s just my opinion, but I think two things can be true at the same time: she was abused by him, and she was also a willing and active participant in enabling his eventual crimes. The first doesn’t excuse her liability, IMO.

According to LB’s statement:

“From the trees she heard a couple of men at a house on one of the nearby back roads, she said. There were gunshots. Then there was silence.

Then the house went up in flames.

She hid there, in the woods, on a night where temperatures flirted with the freezing mark, until morning. She’d had a jacket, but had discarded it during her flight, hoping the police would find it.

In the morning, she crawled out to the road and knocked on Leon Joudrey’s door — the first house she could see. He called the police.”

‘It’s done’: Nova Scotia mass shooting documents reveal how anniversary drinks erupted into an abuser’s fury, then carnage

Maybe I’m missing it because I’m not following this case closely, but I don’t understand why she didn’t raise the alarm right after she heard and saw the above.

Lisa Banfield's story does not add up for me. Tied up? handcuffed on one hand? locked in a car? hid in the trees? My impression is that she wants access to his estate so, although there is no police report history of any issues in the relationship, she alleged years of abuse and that she is a victim during the shootings. I don't understand how she could be a victim if he told her to grab a gun.

"Mme Banfield, age 52, was the sole heir to the killer, whose holdings stand at $ 2.1 million. Wortman, a trained denturist, owned money, three registered businesses, and six properties in Portapique and Halifax.

Lisa Banfield had told police that the night the killing began in Portapique, the killer attacked and tied her up. She would have managed to get rid of herself and hide in the woods, before returning to her house the next morning."
https://www.today24.news/en/2021/02...ner-added-to-family-class-action-lawsuit.html

"The version of events leading up to the killing spree offered by Wortman’s common-law partner has also been brought into question.

The earlier version offered by the RCMP and court documents suggests that she was tied up after an argument with Wortman and escaped into the nearby woods as Wortman doused his cottage with gasoline and set it on fire.

She reportedly emerged at daybreak the next morning at the home of neighbour Leon Joudrey.

Joudrey has since stated publicly that she was “worked up and hysterical a bit” but that it didn’t look to him like she had spent the night in the woods.

He says that she arrived at his door shoeless and dressed in “black spandex” but not showing any obvious physical signs you would expect for someone who had spent the night hiding in the dense brush in the area.

“She might have been somewhere but she wasn’t in the woods all night from what I saw,” Joudrey said in a recent interview.

It’s one of the numerous contradictions that have surfaced in the RCMP version of events."
Nova Scotia mass shooting stirs more RCMP contradictions

It is so difficult to know what happened because of the contradictions. In some redacted documents as GW told her to leave the cottage, he cautioned her to watch her step since the floor was slippery with gasoline. A strange thing to say to someone you are beating. Same with the gun, he asked her, a beating victim to get a gun? Something is missing, but whether that is due to redactions or incomplete testimony I don't know.
I can see there might be gaps in her story if she was fleeing for her life, she would not be documenting it as she went! And yet...

The testimony mentions male voices and then shots. Yet, there were several shooting incidents there spread out over a period of time. The shooting of Greg Blair, followed by the shooting of Jamie. Then the shooting of Lisa McCully. Then Corrie Ellison. This was followed by the shooting of the Gulenchyns. When LB said the house went up in flames, this must refer to the Gulenchyns. Then there were shots fired at the Portapique couple who saw GW at the Gulenchyns and escaped moments later. The vague wording makes it sound like it was one incident.

The released documents are very ambiguous. Considering the gravity of the crimes, I am surprised at such sloppy work. I make lists for my kids chores which are more precise in their wording!

It is so difficult to know what happened because of the contradictions. In some redacted documents as GW told her to leave the cottage, he cautioned her to watch her step since the floor was slippery with gasoline. A strange thing to say to someone you are beating. Same with the gun, he asked her, a beating victim to get a gun? Something is missing, but whether that is due to redactions or incomplete testimony I don't know.
I can see there might be gaps in her story if she was fleeing for her life, she would not be documenting it as she went! And yet...

The testimony mentions male voices and then shots. Yet, there were several shooting incidents there spread out over a period of time. The shooting of Greg Blair, followed by the shooting of Jamie. Then the shooting of Lisa McCully. Then Corrie Ellison. This was followed by the shooting of the Gulenchyns. When LB said the house went up in flames, this must refer to the Gulenchyns. Then there were shots fired at the Portapique couple who saw GW at the Gulenchyns and escaped moments later. The vague wording makes it sound like it was one incident.

The released documents are very ambiguous. Considering the gravity of the crimes, I am surprised at such sloppy work. I make lists for my kids chores which are more precise in their wording!

What has been released is the Information to Obtain (ITO) to support a search warrant, as that document has been filed through the Court becoming a public document available for release. Judges are required to approve search warrants prior to LE executing them so in this case, LE has documented certain information including snippets of statements provided under oath to prove why that search warrant was required.

What’s released via ITOs is not full and entire interviews, plus we know portions have been redacted (assumably what’s most important, pertaining to the investigation). So while the media releases of ITOs are somewhat enlightening, it doesn’t tell the whole story including what further investigation might’ve revealed, nor does it disclose the full contents of the police file.

Joudrey has since stated publicly that she was “worked up and hysterical a bit” but that it didn’t look to him like she had spent the night in the woods.

He says that she arrived at his door shoeless and dressed in “black spandex” but not showing any obvious physical signs you would expect for someone who had spent the night hiding in the dense brush in the area.

“She might have been somewhere but she wasn’t in the woods all night from what I saw,” Joudrey said in a recent interview.

It’s one of the numerous contradictions that have surfaced in the RCMP version of events."
Nova Scotia mass shooting stirs more RCMP contradictions
Wow, I had never read that bit from Joudrey. I notice he also doesn't seem to state anything about LB appearing bloodied and/or bruised after her beatings when she arrived at his door?

Wow, I had never read that bit from Joudrey. I notice he also doesn't seem to state anything about LB appearing bloodied and/or bruised after her beatings when she arrived at his door?

It certainly does make one wonder....

She was apparently asleep in bed when she was either tied up and harmed, or told to get a gun, then she either walked with him or had a handcuff on one wrist, then she was in his car, then she escaped to the bush, then she emerged wearing spandex, no shoes, no coat and did not appear to have spent the night in near freezing temperatures.

"She hid there, in the woods, on a night where temperatures flirted with the freezing mark, until morning. She’d had a jacket, but had discarded it during her flight, hoping the police would find it."

When I read the quote "It's done" my first thought was of Macbeth.
I have wondered about the jacket incident too. One statement says she hid in a vehicle briefly but was afraid the dome light would give away her position in the dark, so she fled, then dropped the jacket for the police to find. However, if she was afraid he was looking for her, it could also have left a trail for him to follow.
But of course, I have the luxury of questioning this from a distance.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back