CA CA - Sydney “Syd” West, 19, Univ of CA student, San Francisco, 30 Sep 2020 #2

Family of missing UC Berkeley student Sydney West offers search reward

26 Jan 2021
The parents of Sydney West, a 19-year-old UC Berkeley student who was reported missing last fall, announced Monday that they are offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to West’s return.

Here is the Tik Tok video of her parents offering the reward. They said she was surrounded by other people on the bridge, and someone has to have seen her that day. They also said they get tips "all the time."

https://www.tiktok.com/@kimberlysti...re&utm_medium=ios&utm_source=copy&source=h5_m

Wow. If she truly was "surrounded by other people" that suggests a lot of possible outcomes, with an unwitnessed jump being less likely. I had assumed the foot traffic on the bridge was pretty sparse that early.

Wow. If she truly was "surrounded by other people" that suggests a lot of possible outcomes, with an unwitnessed jump being less likely. I had assumed the foot traffic on the bridge was pretty sparse that early.
It was very foggy, unfortunately, so she could’ve jumped unseen. Her mother has consistently said she does not believe Sydney ran away. The police do not suspect foul play. That leaves suicide, unfortunately - but I wonder why the family is so convinced that she did not run away.

There is a documentary on You Tube about the Golden Gate Bridge suicides. It is a hard watch but very informative. There are cameras everywhere filming and watching to halt jumpers. The doc was made using the video system that is in place so they have most jumps recorded. They can get boats to victims quickly but some are never found.

Last edited:
I still think it's possible someone could've seen her around them in the fog. I've driven and walked on the bridge in thick fog and could still see the sidewalk from my car (at least on the side that's closer to me) or around 30-70ft (at best) ahead of me walking (might not be an exact estimate, though it depends on how heavy it was that day) or the road next to me from the sidewalk. It's strange though, sometimes you can't see the city from the sidewalk or the ocean in thick fog and the towers and parts of cables will be covered with fog, but you could still see more ahead you on the sidewalk.

Last edited:
The Golden Gate Bridge is 1.7 miles long. Even if there were many people on the bridge at that hour they may not have been near enough to see her jump especially in heavy fog. I believe she jumped. I think LE is of that mindset also. Their lack of communication is indicative of that in my opinion. I understand though why her parents have hope. I would too without definitive proof.

It was very foggy, unfortunately, so she could’ve jumped unseen. Her mother has consistently said she does not believe Sydney ran away. The police do not suspect foul play. That leaves suicide, unfortunately - but I wonder why the family is so convinced that she did not run away.
Maybe, in my opinion, they don't believe she ran away because she hasn't withdrew money from bank account.

The bikini/underwear pics have been deleted from Syd’s VSCO. Parents did it? Or Syd? Seems strange to start editing someone’s digital footprint while they’re missing. I understand the desire to avoid family embarrassment, but scrubbing things from the internet at this stage feels premature. Thoughts?

Seems strange to start editing someone’s digital footprint while they’re missing. I understand the desire to avoid family embarrassment, but scrubbing things from the internet at this stage feels premature. Thoughts?

I noticed some of her Medium blog posts were deleted too a couple months ago. I remember there were several blog posts and the links would take you them (like the gap year post) when they were first pointed out but now there's only one poem left if you go to her page. I think they have access to her Instagram account (her mom posted a reposted a story on it from the find sydney IG page a month or two ago) though I'm not sure about her other accounts. If she's hiding with a friend though I think it's possible she could be using their internet or computer to remove things.

Last edited:
I think if her parents are making efforts to have some more sensitive posts removed, it's fine. Yes, she's an adult, but she never intended her posts to have the audience they now have. I would think her parents just want to take care of her in whatever way they can now. Nothing to judge or have a negative opinion about. All IMO.

I think if her parents are making efforts to have some more sensitive posts removed, it's fine. Yes, she's an adult, but she never intended her posts to have the audience they now have. I would think her parents just want to take care of her in whatever way they can now. Nothing to judge or have a negative opinion about. All IMO.
I just hope they did whatever they could from a forensic standpoint before deleting. That’s the only reason I’m potentially opposed to deleting anything. I’m not an IT expert, but if there’s a way to track engagement (clicking on a pic, etc) by IP address, and there was a huge spike in a user’s activity near SF preceding her disappearance, that would be good to know and I hope the cops or her PI considered that.

Family offers $10,000 reward for information on whereabouts of UC Berkeley student missing since September

Here is a Dateline article that was posted yesterday.

Some notable excerpts/lesser known info that we haven't had confirmed before:

According to Sydney’s family and police, there has been no activity on her cell phone, social media or bank account. Her phone and Bose headphones are also missing.

“That morning that Sydney was on the bridge, there were a lot of people that were near her,” Sydney’s father, Jay West, said in the video. “I know this because I reviewed the video so we just absolutely believe that somebody must know something.”

Family offers $10,000 reward for information on whereabouts of UC Berkeley student missing since September

Here is a Dateline article that was posted yesterday.

Some notable excerpts/lesser known info that we haven't had confirmed before:

According to Sydney’s family and police, there has been no activity on her cell phone, social media or bank account. Her phone and Bose headphones are also missing.

“That morning that Sydney was on the bridge, there were a lot of people that were near her,” Sydney’s father, Jay West, said in the video. “I know this because I reviewed the video so we just absolutely believe that somebody must know something.”
That’s interesting. Would there be a lot of people on the bridge near her that early in the morning or could he be referring to car traffic? Maybe their requests for information just haven’t reached the right person yet.

Was the sighting with a backpack at that park area? And there was a second sighting without the backpack?
Were both by camera or do they not say?

Last edited:
There is a documentary on You Tube about the Golden Gate Bridge suicides. It is a hard watch but very informative. There are cameras everywhere filming and watching to halt jumpers. The doc was made using the video system that is in place so they have most jumps recorded. They can get boats to victims quickly but some are never found.

i think the ppl who filmed the documentary used their own cameras. but, they do have a camera system as well.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VT_Squire
Back