GUILTY UK - Libby Squire, 21, last seen outside Welly club, found deceased, Hull, 31 Jan 2019 #25

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am assuming there is more to the letter than reported since they said it was 3 pages. I wonder if he mentioned the crimes he plead guilty of or did he just ignore that. MOO
Also, did his wife send the letter? It is odd this is reported today the same day as the verdict. Is the Sun reputable?

The Sun isn't reputable, no. Take anything it publishes with a pinch of salt. There's a good reason that an entire city boycotted it.

I am assuming there is more to the letter than reported since they said it was 3 pages. I wonder if he mentioned the crimes he plead guilty of or did he just ignore that. MOO
Also, did his wife send the letter? It is odd this is reported today the same day as the verdict. Is the Sun reputable?

Similar to Fox News....

The sun is even lower down the pecking order than the mail!

I imagine a few of the papers are sitting on stories ready to print in the next few days.
Did his wife give the letter to the paper?

What is likely to happen if he does appeal? I think he did it, but I don’t know he did it. It’s very much based on his constant lying and criminal history to be fair and I just wonder how that will work in the event of an appeal?
First he would have to get leave to appeal, which isn't automatic.
Appealing Against a Crown Court Conviction | Defence-Barrister.co.uk — Defence-Barrister.co.uk
Do I always have the right to appeal against my Crown Court conviction?
No. To appeal against your Crown Court conviction you have to get permission (leave) and this will only be granted if you have grounds which are considered to be properly arguable. The sentencing judge at the Crown Court can issue a certificate that the case is fit for appeal but this is rare - usually permission is requested in a written application to a single judge as set out in the 'How do I appeal against conviction ...' section below.

It is not possible to appeal against a conviction in the Crown Court simply because you are unhappy with the verdict (even if you know that the verdict is wrong) and wish to have another trial; what must be established is that something has gone seriously wrong with the trial process itself such that the guilty verdict is unsafe. Your specific arguments of what has gone wrong will be contained in the Grounds of Appeal.

Yes they defend their investigations. I am sorry but if allegations about such sexual deviancy were taken seriously, fingerprints were taken and the efits were acted upon, this beautiful, talented, full of life girl might still have been with us here on this earth.

Sorry for the rant - it is not the best time to do this. Please report my post if it is not appropriate. My feelings are so mixed at the moment
Hope not cos I want to rant too. Not the right but I'm also angry.

I walked from Libby's bench to his road when visiting my daughter. I walked past about 90,% of the streets where he'd offended because she lived directly opposite on Newlands.

It took about 4 to 5 minutes. The distance to the park from there in the opposite direction was less. It was a tiny, tiny area!

At the end of his road was a Polish shop. Just round the corner was a massive Catholic church. All would be used by the Polish community in that area.

They had info he was Polish. They had a cartoon image of him that was actually quite good. If they'd just got him in once on anything for questioning - the database would have matched his prints and his DNA and linked him to a load of other crimes.

But those types of things aren't taken seriously.

A lot of those crimes were against students. Not once were students warned. Small groups close to victims would know about one crime but it didn't go out to the wider student body. Nobody linked anything

So I join your rant cos Libby had a whole life ahead of her

Do you think he stands a chance? He could say there is no proof whatsoever that he killed her, not even a cause of death, is that enough? Or does he need to present something else like another suspect or something from the Post Mortem that wasn’t mentioned etc etc?
I think it would have to be an alleged trial irregularity, or some piece of new evidence.

Man, 26, guilty of rape and murder of Hull student Libby Squire

Just found this line which i don't believe i'd read elsewhere:

"The Home Office pathologist Dr Matthew Lyall told jurors that the cause of Squire’s death could not be determined, nor whether she was dead or alive before entering the water, due to the amount of time her body had been in the river. But two lacerations inside her top lip showed blunt trauma consistent with “squeezing or compression of the neck or covering of the mouth”.

I think i'm in agreement with a few on here that Dr Lyall's report does (as with scientists/medics) impart some personal intuition when statements and papers are written.

The Sun isn't reputable, no. Take anything it publishes with a pinch of salt. There's a good reason that an entire city boycotted it.
Yes indeed. And the same judge who was on the Hillsborough inquiry who got justice for the 96 people who sadly lost their lives in that horrendous football stadium disaster got justice for Libby today. Fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member