Still Missing CA - Orson & Orrin West (3&4), California City, 21 Dec 2020 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is it that the biological family has gathered donations for the billboards ? Can anyone help me understand how any of this is normal ? These people have absolutely no legal authority whatsoever , yet THEY are doing this.

I don’t know how anyone can not see the deafening silence from the adoptive parents speaks volumes.

Moo

Why is it that the biological family has gathered donations for the billboards ? Can anyone help me understand how any of this is normal ? These people have absolutely no legal authority whatsoever , yet THEY are doing this.

I don’t know how anyone can not see the deafening silence from the adoptive parents speaks volumes.

Moo
I get it. If nobody else is going to step up for these kids, someone has to. The biological family is, at least, doing something. We can say and think whatever we want about them, but they are showing up to these boys and their adoptive parents aren't.

"The reward, initially offered at $30,000 by extended members of the West family, has increased to $120,000 -- contributed by multiple parties." Reward increases to $120K for missing CA toddlers; family says they're public targets

"The boys biological family told 23ABC News Saturday that they are working to get the boys' photos on two more billboards in the Bakersfield area." https://www.turnto23.com/news/local...rothers-now-displayed-on-billboard-in-oildale

We know what the adoptive family is doing, and what the bio family is doing, because they're talking to the media about what they're doing.

We don't know what the parents are doing, or not doing, because they're not talking to the media. It's tempting to assume they're doing nothing, (especially damning the way it appears the rest of the extended West family seems to want to make sure the public knows they're speaking for THEMSELVES and not for TW and JW) but we don't actually know what, if anything, the parents are doing.

I can only guess the truth will come out eventually.
Hopefully it's sooner than later.
It's already been far too long.

jmo

"The reward, initially offered at $30,000 by extended members of the West family, has increased to $120,000 -- contributed by multiple parties." Reward increases to $120K for missing CA toddlers; family says they're public targets

"The boys biological family told 23ABC News Saturday that they are working to get the boys' photos on two more billboards in the Bakersfield area." https://www.turnto23.com/news/local...rothers-now-displayed-on-billboard-in-oildale

We know what the adoptive family is doing, and what the bio family is doing, because they're talking to the media about what they're doing.

We don't know what the parents are doing, or not doing, because they're not talking to the media. It's tempting to assume they're doing nothing, (especially damning the way it appears the rest of the extended West family seems to want to make sure the public knows they're speaking for THEMSELVES and not for TW and JW) but we don't actually know what, if anything, the parents are doing.

jmo
We know AP have not provided newer pics of Orrin,and Orson in spite the fact they have their phones back. Which JW herself claimed the whole reason they didn't have any newer pics is because LE had their phones. There is a new billboard with the same older pics. TW,and JW could at least provide a newer pic or two off said phone for the billboard. No?

Moo
I was just going to post the same. That the AP haven’t done ANYTHING publicly to get awareness out there is just plain unbelievable. One can only conclude that they know the boys aren’t coming back.

jmo
Well the AP certainly haven’t made any public appeals for their children since telling the public that were missing. Unless they’re meeting frequently with LE, which I tend to doubt, I don’t really care what else they’re doing.

Article updated to include:

The Lamar Advertising Company owns the billboards and is providing the family with four weeks of free space on their billboards, according to the family.

Photos of missing California City toddler brothers now displayed on billboard in Oildale (turnto23.com)
Someone is soliciting funds for those "free" billboards in an online funding campaign. Or is that a separate deal? They claim each billboard costs$1500. So far they've raised 3k. They say 2 are now paid for, so does this mean in addition to the donated billboards? I'm confused.

Last edited:
Someone is soliciting funds for those "free" billboards in an online funding campaign. Or is that a separate deal? They claim each billboard costs$1500. So far they've raised 3k. They say 2 are now paid for, so does this mean in addition to the donated billboards? I'm confused.
I have no idea. I haven't looked at any fundraisers and the only billboards I'm aware of are the ones owned by Lamar. And, the article says "billboards" (plural) so I understand that to mean that all of them are free for four weeks. MOO

The Lamar Advertising Company owns the billboards and is providing the family with four weeks of free space on their billboards, according to the family.

We know AP have not provided newer pics of Orrin,and Orson in spite the fact they have their phones back. Which JW herself claimed the whole reason they didn't have any newer pics is because LE had their phones. There is a new billboard with the same older pics. TW,and JW could at least provide a newer pic or two off said phone for the billboard. No?

I find it rather interesting about the alleged more recent pics on their phones.
Didn't LE have their phones?
If there were more recent pics on their phones, wouldn't LE have copies of those?
If yes, why haven't LE issued the more recent pics?
That part doesn't really make much sense to me.

I suppose if there actually are more recent pics, TW or JW providing them to the bio family is likely never going to happen, since they do not appear to be on the same page, to put it kindly.

jmo

It says the Lamar Advertising Company is providing them with free space of their billboards for four weeks. Maybe they are raising the money for when the four weeks are over, or to cover the cost to have them up for a few months.

It does seem a little too soon to pay that far in advance. There is no way to know what evidence LE has found so far. They could be close to making an arrest.

I find it rather interesting about the alleged more recent pics on their phones.
Didn't LE have their phones?
If there were more recent pics on their phones, wouldn't LE have copies of those?
If yes, why haven't LE issued the more recent pics?
That part doesn't really make much sense to me.

I suppose if there actually are more recent pics, TW or JW providing them to the bio family is likely never going to happen, since they do not appear to be on the same page, to put it kindly.

jmo
Since they have six kids (albeit two missing), perhaps she was confused and actually had recent pics of some of the other children, and not O&O.

I’m more concerned that the AP never seem to refer to the missing children by name, or talk about their traits/likes/dislikes etc.
This type of info could help citizens identify them potentially.

amateur opinion and speculation

MOO: I would think it would be rather impossible to provide recent pics of Orrin & Orson if the last photo opportunity to take one was 2019-early 2020. Just a thought.

Nothing fizzy going on. Just as it states the owner of 2 of the billboards donated the “space” on their boards for free. The vinyl itself for the print to be put on cost $1500 each.

Nothing fizzy going on. Just as it states the owner of 2 of the billboards donated the “space” on their boards for free. The vinyl itself for the print to be put on cost $1500 each.
So the money is for a different company since the Lamar Advertising Company is offering digital billboards? IOW a separate billboard company entirely? Sorry, I'm just trying to get it straight.
https://www.turnto23.com/news/local...rothers-now-displayed-on-billboard-in-oildale

Agree. I was looking into the legalities of the photos issue today (as one does... Happy Valentine’s Day to me!).

Didn’t land on definitive answers but I did find both federal and state laws requiring that law enforcement make timely updates to databases and CA DOJ including of recent photos and medical records. (Details and links to laws below) While it is possible such updates are only on law enforcement databases, it seems unlikely that any more recent photos uncovered would not have been released by LE, DOJ, NCMEC.

I also found that in the Linda Stoltzfoos (Amish girl) case, they not only had a recent photo despite Amish avoidance of photos, but the FBI also released a composite image to show what she would look like in street clothes with her hair down just two weeks after she disappeared.

We have seen no efforts toward updating photos or age progression in this case in which the age of the victims makes them decidedly more vulnerable and more likely to have a changed appearance due to the speed of developmental change at the toddler/ preschool age. Which speaks volumes to me.

US law
34 U.S. Code § 41308 - State requirements for reporting missing children

(3)provide that each such report and all necessary and available information, which, with respect to each missing child report, shall include—
(A)
the name, date of birth, sex, race, height, weight, and eye and hair color of the child;
(B)
a recent photograph of the child, if available;
(C)
the date and location of the last known contact with the child; and
(D)
the category under which the child is reported missing;
is entered within 2 hours of receipt into the State law enforcement system and the National Crime Information Center computer networks and made available to the Missing Children Information Clearinghouse within the State or other agency designated within the State to receive such reports; and
(4)provide that after receiving reports as provided in paragraph (3), the law enforcement agency that entered the report into the National Crime Information Center shall—
(A)
no later than 30 days after the original entry of the record into the State law enforcement system and National Crime Information Center computer networks, verify and update such record with any additional information, including, where available, medical and dental records and a photograph taken during the previous 180 days;
(B)
institute or assist with appropriate search and investigative procedures;
(C)
notify the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children of each report received relating to a child reported missing from a foster care family home or childcare institution;

CA law
2019 California Code :: Penal Code - PEN :: PART 4 - PREVENTION OF CRIMES AND APPREHENSION OF CRIMINALS :: TITLE 12 - VIOLENT CRIME INFORMATION CENTER :: Section 14210.

Local reporting agencies shall attempt to obtain the most recent photograph available for persons still listed as missing and forward those photographs to the Department of Justice.

(e) The department shall include these photographs, as they become available, in the quarterly bulletins pursuant to subdivision (c) of Section 14204.

(f) State and local elected officials, agencies, departments, boards, and commissions may enclose in their mailings information regarding missing children or at-risk adults obtainable from the Department of Justice or any organization that is recognized as a nonprofit, tax-exempt organization under state or federal law and that has an ongoing missing children program. Elected officials, agency secretaries, and directors of departments, boards, and commissions are urged to develop policies to enclose missing children or at-risk adults information in mailings if it will not increase postage costs and is otherwise deemed appropriate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members