Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #92

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like "our" vaccine will be here in 2 months...

President of Latvia: I want my example to encourage others to get vaccinated

Feb. 11, 2021

Egils Levits [our president] also reflected on his meeting with Head of the Vaccination Programme Coordination Office, Mrs Eva Juhņēviča, about the rollout of vaccination programme. President said that he has been assured that most of Latvia’s population will be vaccinated in two months’ time from the delivery of necessary quantity of doses. ‘If we roll out vaccination programme strictly according to plan and precise schedule, most Latvians should get their chance to get vaccinated within two months after the delivery of required batch. We need precise data on number of coordinators, locations, population size and procedures for vaccination. And our government and leadership of the European Union is working on making these doses available and quickly distributed across the Union. Let me also reiterate, once vaccines are widely available, international relations will begin to pick up to make up for the essential time lost due to virus,’ said President Levits.

We are getting the Astra-Zeneca vaccine.

Dr. C video where he tests his own vitamin D level with a home test kit. (He's surprised that he is on low end) Also, he discussed that folks with kidney disease (talked about upthread) may have difficulties processing Vitamin D as that is the last step in your body processing it correctly.

Never knew that, and a shout out for those folks to perhaps get a D test or talk to doc about. At 23-27 minutes, he speaks about why overweight people need to "load up" vitamin D prior to an ongoing regimen.

Last edited:
MOD NOTE

It is understandable that there is happiness at receiving the vaccine AND frustration at not having it available if you are eager to get it. There is value in expressing both of those emotions, AND posts that do so have been moved to this thread:

Coronavirus Vaccine: Would you/did you get it?

This is to help the threads stay on topic and discussion flowing without interruption. Please try to direct your posts to the appropriate thread.
Websleuths appreciates all members’ efforts during these trying times.

Faithfully,
CocoChanel

Last edited:
Yes, I cannot imagine two N95! I've been wearing a cloth mask over a vented N95 since last March. ;):oops: I rarely wear as I don't go out much - trunk pick ups and dr. visits are it. At doc, double mask and a face shield. Last week I had to mail something very important and timely, so I went to my post office to put in their drop box at the curb. Alas! They were GONE! I had to scoot in really quick to put in the inside drop box.

I have some of these 95 pads to insert inside the pocket of my masks, and feel very safe. I am sure I got these on Amazon after someone else had posted, so will post again for review.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-5p71-Part...ild=1&keywords=n95+pads&qid=1613412859&sr=8-1

Eric Feigl-Ding @DrEricDing
·
12m
POWER FAILURE THREATENS 8000 VACCINE DOSES—Harris County (Houston, Texas) officials are hustling to distribute 8,400 doses of #COVID19 vaccine after storage center lost power Monday & backup generator also failed during power grid strain from #PolarVortex.

Harris County hustles to distribute 8,400 COVID-19 vaccines after freezer loses power

ETA: I'm watching live feed from KHOU. They reached out to warming centers, jail, and Universities such as Rice and University of Houston that had students on campus. They thought they had 4 hours to use them, but Moderna said they could go back in fridge and use them. I think they said over 5,000 went into arms, and No doses were thrown out.

Last edited:
Looks like "our" vaccine will be here in 2 months...

President of Latvia: I want my example to encourage others to get vaccinated

Feb. 11, 2021

Egils Levits [our president] also reflected on his meeting with Head of the Vaccination Programme Coordination Office, Mrs Eva Juhņēviča, about the rollout of vaccination programme. President said that he has been assured that most of Latvia’s population will be vaccinated in two months’ time from the delivery of necessary quantity of doses. ‘If we roll out vaccination programme strictly according to plan and precise schedule, most Latvians should get their chance to get vaccinated within two months after the delivery of required batch. We need precise data on number of coordinators, locations, population size and procedures for vaccination. And our government and leadership of the European Union is working on making these doses available and quickly distributed across the Union. Let me also reiterate, once vaccines are widely available, international relations will begin to pick up to make up for the essential time lost due to virus,’ said President Levits.

We are getting the Astra-Zeneca vaccine.

Latvia,
Covid-19 vaccine | Covid-19

5524682-B-2937-4-E5-D-A30-B-1-B292-B47546-F.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I cannot imagine two N95! I've been wearing a cloth mask over a vented N95 since last March. ;):oops: I rarely wear as I don't go out much - trunk pick ups and dr. visits are it. At doc, double mask and a face shield. Last week I had to mail something very important and timely, so I went to my post office to put in their drop box at the curb. Alas! They were GONE! I had to scoot in really quick to put in the inside drop box.
There's been a huge increase in postal theft. My son dropped his rent check and other bills in the drop box outside of the post office. It was stolen and cashed. The post office told him that the theives put inserts in the drop boxes and them come by and pull them out.

There's been a huge increase in postal theft. My son dropped his rent check and other bills in the drop box outside of the post office. It was stolen and cashed. The post office told him that the theives put inserts in the drop boxes and them come by and pull them out.

People can really be so disgusting

With Victoria being in a snap lockdown, masks have come back into play there.
In order to combat the whingey whiners, shop signs are coming out again.
(Collingwood is a Victorian football team, one that has recently gone through a bit of controversy where its club president was obliged to resign.)

xx1.JPG
(Hope this actual photo taken today is allowed)

Last edited:
With Victoria being in a snap lockdown, masks have come back into play there.
In order to combat the whingey whiners, shop signs are coming out again.
(Collingwood is a Victorian football team, one that has recently gone through a bit of controversy where its club president was obliged to resign.)

View attachment 284451
(Hope this actual photo taken today is allowed)
Or an Eddie mask.

Good news for Australia!
And for the countries that we will be supplying.

The Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) has granted provisional approval to AstraZeneca Pty Ltd for its COVID-19 vaccine, making it the second COVID-19 vaccine to receive regulatory approval in Australia.

Provisional approval of this vaccine is valid for two years and means it can now be legally supplied in Australia. The approval is subject to certain strict conditions, such as the requirement for AstraZeneca to continue providing information to the TGA on longer term efficacy and safety from ongoing clinical trials and post-market assessment.

Initial supply of this vaccine will be imported into Australia from overseas, however it is anticipated that ongoing supply will be manufactured in Australia.

Australians can be confident that the TGA's review process of this vaccine was rigorous and of the highest standard.

TGA provisionally approves AstraZeneca's COVID-19 vaccine

Last edited:
We are hearing on our news that the UK has started a similar hotel quarantine system as ours. For people entering the UK from 33 other countries.
Although we are hearing that there are quite a few weak points at the moment.

Apparently, UK quarantine travellers can mix with other travellers at several points - on their flight, in the terminal. They just have to follow signs to the 'red area' in the terminal and are walking with a wide array of passengers.
UK quarantined travellers are also allowed to leave the quarantine hotel to exercise outside.

It will probably take a little while to iron out these weak areas.

Confusion and queues as red list passengers at Heathrow face quarantine in hotel system

Last edited:
We are just hearing about an Aussie company that is developing a covid breathalyser (not a new concept) .. except this one can tell the difference between a live virus or a fragment (dead virus). The company is currently seeking govt backing so that it can perhaps offer to implement such a thing for large events, international flights and other uses.

However, the GreyScan test will be able to tell just how infectious someone is.
Ms Ollerton said measuring "infectivity" is crucial in understanding exactly who is at risk of passing the virus on.
"We are looking at the external proteins on the virus as well as the nucleaic material," she said.
"That combination means we can tell the difference between a fragment of the virus ... a live virus ... or a dead virus."

"If we really want to let people go about their business ... open up the borders for international travel we need to have something fast accurate and trustworthy."
GreyScan's breath test technology is still in development phase, but with funding support manufacturing could start soon.

Also ....

Another homegrown COVID screening mode is also showing promise.
University of Adelaide and Australian Border Force are training dogs to sniff out people who are COVID-positive.
Melbourne company developing COVID-19 'breath test'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members