TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris County, Jan 2019 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also believe this was a “hit.”

The killer knew how early to arrive...which tells me he knew about what time the husband would leave, so he had to be there waiting before that.

He knew to wait until her husbands car had left. Although he had a gun, it seems he didn’t want to confront two people.

He drove by the night before. He had to plan out the costume he wore. Luckily for him, there was no early morning trash pickup in the area to provide witnesses. Did he know that wouldn’t be an issue?

Was the anniversary trip somehow a provocation that enraged someone?

I still see people saying that this was probably just a robbery gone bad. I'm sorry, but that makes zero sense. There are literally HUNDREDS of other place an armed robber who can so easily escalate to murder, including a final kill shot to the head, could rob rather than a neighborhood garage sale at the crack of dawn. I mean seriously....how much would this person even reasonable expect to get at said such sale before any actual sales have even been made??? If this person wanted money, there are literally dozens of gas stations, etc in the area what would have reaped more than $20-30 in change this woman may have had on hand.

I 1000000% believe she was targeted and/or this was a hit. Hopefully this is solved ASAP because someone this brutal and brazen needs to be off the street.

Here it is:
Wow! First time I've heard this. From the previously released video I had wondered if this was a small caliber weapon as I didn't believe I saw much recoil when the gun was fired. And the shooter appeared to be shooting one handed. Maybe a .22, .25 or a .32. Now after hearing this it sounds like a larger caliber gun such as a .38 special, 9mm, .40 or .45. I was never was much on the side of the argument that this was a man disguised as woman. Now after hearing the shots and going back to look at the original video, I see that possibility.

I know from training I might make a first shot one handed, but I would likely revert to training to go to two handed grip. Maybe this isn't someone who has trained with a handgun. Purely speculation on my part though as one doesn't really know how they will act in a stress situation and the act of shooting someone is a stress situation.

Last edited:
I still see people saying that this was probably just a robbery gone bad. I'm sorry, but that makes zero sense. There are literally HUNDREDS of other place an armed robber who can so easily escalate to murder, including a final kill shot to the head, could rob rather than a neighborhood garage sale at the crack of dawn. I mean seriously....how much would this person even reasonable expect to get at said such sale before any actual sales have even been made??? If this person wanted money, there are literally dozens of gas stations, etc in the area what would have reaped more than $20-30 in change this woman may have had on hand.

I 1000000% believe she was targeted and/or this was a hit. Hopefully this is solved ASAP because someone this brutal and brazen needs to be off the street.

Absolutely; there's no evidence this is random or just some kind of coincidence. It was planned to the nth degree and most likely a hit - I agree the shooter themselves is not known to Elizabeth.

I also believe this was a “hit.”

The killer knew how early to arrive...which tells me he knew about what time the husband would leave, so he had to be there waiting before that.

He knew to wait until her husbands car had left. Although he had a gun, it seems he didn’t want to confront two people.

He drove by the night before. He had to plan out the costume he wore. Luckily for him, there was no early morning trash pickup in the area to provide witnesses. Did he know that wouldn’t be an issue?

Was the anniversary trip somehow a provocation that enraged someone?
I guess this depends on on how we classify as a "hit". I have a narrow definition in that a 'hit' involves someone who was hired to do this and has no personal grudge or involvement with Elizabeth. I still believe that is possible.

What I believe is more likely is that this was personal and revenge. That is, the person committing the murder is directly or indirectly involved for a strictly personal reason. It still could be someone Elizabeth doesn't immediately recognize if her connection to the killer is not that strong or direct.

Hit or not - depending on one's definition - it appears to be planned in advance.

Last edited:
Wow! First time I've heard this. From the previously released video I had wondered if this was a small caliber weapon as I didn't believe I saw much recoil when the gun was fired. And the shooter appeared to be shooting one handed. Maybe a .22, .25 or a .32. Now after hearing this it sounds like a larger caliber gun such as a .38 special, 9mm, .40 or .45. I was never was much on the side of the argument that this was a man disguised as woman. Now after hearing the shots and going back to look at the original video, I see that possibility.

I know from training I might make a first shot one handed, but I would likely revert to training to go to two handed grip. Maybe this isn't someone who has trained with a handgun. Purely speculation on my part though as one doesn't really know how they will act in a stress situation and the act of shooting someone is a stress situation.
I think the firearm use is really interesting: no two handed grip. not even after the first shot. comes back on target even after recoil. So no training, but accustomed to the recoil and finding a target. learned how to shoot a gun from the movies and is comfortable with it? I'd love to hear more analysis and thoughts from others on this topic.

I don't know but the costume and everything makes me wonder if it could be some type of gang initiation?

The long bathrobe, wig, combined with the boots remind me of a cheap on-the-quick version of one of the costumes on the Cosplay site. I wonder if Liz reacted with the cheery “good morning” because she thought so too. Because of cosplay, someone approaching her in that outfit would not seem strange or frightening to her.

IMO, it’s a wonderful organization that does very meaningful charity work...but a lot of the pretense seems to be about “killing’ various Star Trek “enemies” etc. Just as some deranged individuals have tried to replicate scenes from violent online video games, etc...it does make me wonder.

Attachments

• 0BEA1085-F2F1-438E-B940-2B4CFE82A02F.jpeg
    0BEA1085-F2F1-438E-B940-2B4CFE82A02F.jpeg
    177.4 KB · Views: 32
I know she was in a cosplay group, but I also wonder if the costume is a just a coincidence. If it was a man, they may have thought dressing up like a woman would have put her more at ease being approached alone like that early in the morning. I am also thinking that if someone did hear the shots and look out the window, they would describe to the police a woman and how this person was dressed, but as soon as they drove off in the car, could easily have ditched this disguise so anyone passing them and looking in their car window would not think they were the perp. All MOO of course

I’m not an expert on sound waves but wouldn’t the sound of the gunshot have been amplified on the recording given the location of the camera at what looks to be the end of a closed-in corridor?

On the other hand, wouldn’t we have heard the conversation more clearly if the gunshot was amplified? I’ll be quiet now. :)

If the shooter had anything to do with Elizabeth, one of her friends would have made the connection to the truck by now. This person wasn't connected to her in any way. They were not worried about being seen, they didn't race away, they drove by again after the crime!

If the shooter had anything to do with Elizabeth, one of her friends would have made the connection to the truck by now. This person wasn't connected to her in any way. They were not worried about being seen, they didn't race away, they drove by again after the crime!
That’s assuming the killer used their own vehicle. I’ve always assumed the vehicle was “borrowed” meaning I think it was stolen and returned before the owner noticed, the owner's circle of friends has no reason to suspect owner and probably has an alibi even if there was suspicion so the vehicle that was used in the crime was never actually tracked to the owner.

I don't believe it could be someone she knows. I think if there was both someone she knew personally who also knew her movements so intimately they'd have been found already. The motive is personal but the shooter is a stranger (to Elizabeth). JMO.

I don't believe it could be someone she knows. I think if there was both someone she knew personally who also knew her movements so intimately they'd have been found already. The motive is personal but the shooter is a stranger (to Elizabeth). JMO.
I'm leaning in this direction, too.

I’m not an expert on sound waves but wouldn’t the sound of the gunshot have been amplified on the recording given the location of the camera at what looks to be the end of a closed-in corridor?

On the other hand, wouldn’t we have heard the conversation more clearly if the gunshot was amplified? I’ll be quiet now. :)
Had this been a closed end corridor with the shooting at the end I might have a different opinion. But with someone who has fired thousands of .45, 9mm, 38 and .22 rounds indoors and outside this sounds like at least a medium caliber weapon to me. I can't see this being a .22 or .32 caliber round.

I think the firearm use is really interesting: no two handed grip. not even after the first shot. comes back on target even after recoil. So no training, but accustomed to the recoil and finding a target. learned how to shoot a gun from the movies and is comfortable with it? I'd love to hear more analysis and thoughts from others on this topic.
I wondering this as well from those with extensive firearms use and training.

I was taught to use two hands for accuracy but I can see using one for shooting at close range.

One hand would have been faster. And at point blank range it’s not difficult to be accurate. This doesn’t seem unusual to me. It would seem more unusual had he been further away. IMO

Researching Elizabeth’s romantic PAST relationships might pull up a shooter that found out Elizabeth had a past relationship with her husband. Probably a relationship at her work site.
The shooter showed Elizabeth something before shooting her. Maybe a Wedding Ring.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member