Found Deceased GA - Kelly Nash, 25, Buford, 5 Jan 2015

<modsnip> The things to consider are the background of the G/F, the unsolved homicide on the same street/the same night, and the unsolved arson at the gas station from the same night. Maybe none are connected, but it sure deserves a very thorough investigation.

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip> The things to consider are the background of the G/F, the unsolved homicide on the same street/the same night, and the unsolved arson at the gas station from the same night. Maybe none are connected, but it sure deserves a very thorough investigation.

And also to consider that more than a year afterwards, folks were still being called by LE for statements.

I have seen some posts that the girlfriend was with someone new within 4 months of Kelly being found. This is pure speculation, but could Kelly sleeping on the couch be a result of relationship trouble instead of his sinus infection? All of those legs feel pressures, work, School, new home. Something like the gf finding someone else could potentially be push someone off the edge... Just some thoughts

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

What's stranger is that he left without his cell phone and all those indispensable things that most people always carry around.

I’ve been following this case too. My gut says suicide. But there is more to the story.

One thing I found odd was the g/f noticing this missing gun right away. Kelly Nash wasn’t known to “pack & carry” or hunt on a regular basis. This was just a gun he had around the house. They had just recently moved into this rental house. Things were still in a bit of disarray. Why would digging around and looking for this gun be something you would do right away? I found this really weird.

We have a gun in our house too. If my husband went missing, running to see if the gun was missing would NOT be one of the first things I would do. Again, weird. Why did she do this?

Something more happened that night between the two of them. Jessica & Kelly Nash. There is NO EVIDENCE anyone else was involved.

Kelly Nash was a 25 yo young man. Was Jessica ending their relationship? Did Kelly just discover an affair? Did he discover she’d spent all his money? Something happened that caused an immediate and devastating effect on his emotional stability that night. He reacted by grabbing the gun and leaving the house.

I suspect the police have the gun.

Last edited:
....adding..the behavior of the girlfriend is off. But not to the point of criminal.

I’m speculating here, but by bringing up this missing gun (which was odd, imo) it’s like she wanted law enforcement to know he took it, or the gun may be involved with Kelly’s disappearance. But she was embarassed or hesitant to tell the rest of the details. (Like she spent money, had an affair, etc)

She also told something about a door. One they didn’t use often? Or that didn’t work well? Maybe when Kelly left he was so upset, he slammed that door to the point of damaging it.

I remembered this case when the show Disappeared did a special about it called, Gone in Georgia, only a few months after his body was found. It is with a doubt one of the strangest suicides I have ever heard of. A guy named Kelly Nash is living with his girlfriend. He is sleeping on the couch playing video games when he decides to leave at 4 am without his cell phone or any warm clothes on. It is the beginning of January 2015. Investigators have possible gas station video footage showing him walking along the road to the lake. They later found his body in the lake nearby. He was shot in the head, and it was ruled a suicide. It is one of those cases that is hard to comprehend.

I guess some things really are not meant to be understood. The mysteries of the human mind and why people do what they do is one big mystery sometimes.

In the Preview for Gone in Georgia: A Disappeared Special, they show video surveillance footage from when Kelly Nash stopped at the gas station earlier that night. Then later on it is assumed that around 4:30 am on the morning of January 5, 2015 he is the individual seen walking past the gas station on the side of the road.

When I looked at the surveillance video I noticed something I had not seen before. Maybe it is just an optical illusion? It looks like Kelly Nash's mouth moves as he walks into the gas station and shrugs his head. It looks like he said something. I know it is a very minute detail, but I thought I would mention it.

After over 4 years police would have come up with something by now if his death was not a suicide and no reports have ever said otherwise. It is one of the strangest suicides I have ever heard of.

In the Preview for Gone in Georgia: A Disappeared Special, they show video surveillance footage from when Kelly Nash stopped at the gas station earlier that night. Then later on it is assumed that around 4:30 am on the morning of January 5, 2015 he is the individual seen walking past the gas station on the side of the road.

When I looked at the surveillance video I noticed something I had not seen before. Maybe it is just an optical illusion? It looks like Kelly Nash's mouth moves as he walks into the gas station and shrugs his head. It looks like he said something. I know it is a very minute detail, but I thought I would mention it.

Yes, the preview (from 2015, correct?) is here too:
You can see him moving his mouth as if talking from around 3:25. I believe he was on the phone with his girlfriend, as his mom states. I'm guessing he was using bluetooth or something to speak without holding the phone up to his ear initially? Interestingly, when his mom says "he looked happy," in the surveillance video they show, Kelly shakes his head and looks a bit annoyed. Of course this could all be over-analyzing. It's such a mystery and so sad he died.

There's a couple interesting comments below that ID preview video...

This is a suicide. Several things lead me to that conclusion. First, compare the family's response to finding his body with their response to him going missing. When Kelly went missing, his family mobilized. They hired a detective, sponsored a reward, organized multiple searches (in cold weather), made and handed out posters, were vigilant with police and media, built a social media presence. Once Kelly was found, the family went silent. I think this is very telling. If cops told the family that Kelly was the victim of an unsolved homicide, they would be online demanding "Justice for Kelly." They would offer another reward. They would reach out to crime solver shows to profile him again in hopes of finding a killer. They would be on social media asking anyone with information to call the police. Why haven't they done this? Because the cops told them he committed suicide.

Another thing, cops usually do not tell the public if someone commits suicide. This is out of respect to the family. The obvious exceptions are for a murder-suicide or if the suicide takes place in the public (or at least in front of officers). There are tons of examples of missing persons being found deceased and the public story being silence as to cause of death or "police do not believe the case involved foul play" (but no indication of what the cause was). They are equally silent here. There has been no public announcement about whether the case was a homicide -- even though they told the public he was shot and drowned. Had he been a homicide victim, this would have been part of the public discourse, and they would be investigating the story.

Many people commit suicide each year. In most instances, family members and friends are surprised. Depressed people have lots of experience hiding their true feelings. Often, the decision can occur rapidly. Just because family did not think he would commit suicide, does not mean he wouldn't.

<modsnip: Do not bring rumors to Websleuths>

If cops told the family that Kelly was the victim of an unsolved homicide, they would be online demanding "Justice for Kelly"...Why haven't they done this? Because the cops told them he committed suicide.

... There has been no public announcement about whether the case was a homicide -- even though they told the public he was shot and drowned. Had he been a homicide victim, this would have been part of the public discourse, and they would be investigating the story.

I have seen quite a few cases where the police declared a case to have been suicide when in reality it turned out to have been a homicide. Police are not always right, and unfortunately, sometimes they don't like to admit when they are wrong.

I have also seen several cases where the killer was pretty widely known in the community and even to law enforcement, but due to lack of evidence, no charges were filed until years or even decades later when a new incriminating tip surfaced.

Wasn't he found shot in the back of the head?

I definitely think there is more to the story beyond a straightforward suicide. I believe someone else knows more than she is letting on.

I'm just curious and forgive me as I could be way off due to confusing facts or misinformation; however, is there any possibility that Kelly was an unfortunate witness to the alleged murder of Samuel Waters? I'm not sure how close Kelly's body was discovered as opposed to the land evidence was recovered in the Waters case, but it was apparently within the same lake. I have no explanation for why Kelly ended up there in the first place but I have read that the person arrested for murder in Waters case allegedly first tried burning his body at a house near where Kelly was found and decided to dispose of the remains another way when burning wasn't going quick enough. Is it possible that Kelly saw something he wasn't meant to that night? Just a thought and again forgive me if any of information Is not correct.

This case has bothered me since I saw it covered on Disappeared. Things that don’t make sense to me:

• The girlfriend says she heard him turn off the video game and go to sleep on the couch but in another statement she says he left the video game idle. Which was it?

• I noticed not much was made of the call to his girlfriend’s phone that night. I read that he had an iPhone, which makes it pretty difficult to butt dial someone or make an accidental call. So why was he calling her in the middle of the night when she was in the next room?

• The girlfriend said he wasn’t feeling well that day and didn’t want to do anything yet he went to the store for her at 9 pm that night. Why didn’t she go herself if he wasn’t feeling well?

• Why would someone who wanted to commit suicide decide to do it in the middle of the night by walking in the cold for miles to a lake to do it?

I understand everyone reactions differently to things but something about the way the girlfriend spoke on Disappeared bothered me, I felt as though she was trying to act surprised but it wasn’t very convincing.

EllieBee - I noticed that, too. They mentioned his love of sports, his family, his friends, his job - but no real mention of his girlfriend.
At the very least, it was minimized.
She was the last person to see him, and we can only go by what she tells us.
They could have had a huge fight and he stormed out. Or maybe they had a fight, he played video games for a while to "zone out" and he was just too upset.
We just don't know.

I hate cases where suicide seems so unlikely....but a murder seems equally as unlikely. Grrrr!!!
Yeah on other episodes when there’s a significant other that’s very happy they talk about how they had everything to stay/live for. And they always mention the love more then anything else. Also the family never talked about anything they did with the GF after Kelly went missing or how a mess each other was or supportive. Usually they do all that. It makes no sense that the gf counted his coughs and if she sent him out for her to sleep then why is she still up all night knowing what he’s doing till it’s important? Disappeared never gives the whole story. For ongoing legal reasons in cases and keeping stuff safe for confessions etc.. makes no sense to walk in the cold that far and shoot yourself and why didn’t they find any blood or anything on the doc in searches?

It is hard to believe this case is 6 years old. I know it is not an active case because it was ruled a suicide, but the story in intriguing nonetheless. If you have not seen it, I suggest you watch the Disappeared episode "Gone in Georgia". The circumstances and timing around how he commits suicide are bizarre.

I have never heard or read about a suicide this strange. Maybe Elisa Lam, but that is the closest I can think of.

I think it is hard to believe because it seemed like he had a decent life: attractive girlfriend, about to finish his college education, caring family, and a possible job waiting for him when he graduated. But maybe he had some type of other problem people were not aware of.

It is inevitable that with the circumstances surrounding the case, people are going to think that maybe he was murdered. And most murders like this tend to be committed by the significant other, whether that be husband/spouse or wife/girlfriend. Even I thought maybe his girlfriend had something to do with his death.

But the reality is that people commit suicide and often we don't know why. And police would not just close down and do nothing if the case was murder. The family would not be completely quiet either if they felt he was murdered. So there is probably some information that we do not know.

The case is still sad, no matter how Kelly Nash died.

It's been a long time since I visited this sub, but since I just researched the Disappeared episode I had some thoughts...

* someone above asked why there wasn't blood on the dock: If he stood on the edge and fell backwards then there probably wouldn't have been any blood (or very little). It would've gone in the water.
* Jessica offering up the information about the gun and downstairs door: in the interviews I've seen it was Alan, his dad, that brought the gun up. Someone in your house is missing, you own a gun, and your door is standing open. Seems logical to look for the gun-especially if you think that someone may have been creeping around.
* Jessica scrubbing her SM pages and dating someone new 4 months later: this doesn't surprise me. People grieve differently. Personally, I like having the reminders around. Some people don't. IS there a "good" time to move on? I don't think there's a magic number. My neighbor was married for 45 years. When his wife died suddenly last year he was dating again within 2 months. For some people that's how they cope. Others just can't be alone.
* how the family and g/f acted in early interviews (detached, matter of fact, etc): Thank God nobody was videotaping me in the early days and weeks of my son's sudden death...When something like this happens biology can often take over. You're full of adrenalin. Some immediately break down and cry nonstop. Others don't cry at all and look perfectly composed. Neither response is wrong. In fact, many of us didn't feel the full impact of the loss until months later (I call this the "6th month meltdown"). Unfortunately, that's around the same time that most of the people around you begin to move on. I had zero control of my emotions. I wanted to cry. I couldn't. That came much later.
* Kelly walking so far to kill himself: people commit suicide in strange places. Cold, rainy, windy...none of those things would matter if you're planning on suicide.
* lack of bullet hole/hole in back of head: this is all based on online speculation. No officials or family have ever stated that they didn't see a bullet hole in the front of his head. However, as a hunter I can say that sometimes the entrance wound IS very small. It's the exit wound that would've had the most noticeable tissue damage. His body had been in the water for a month. That's gotta mess with tissue, too.

I do wonder if he'd felt so bad that he'd mixed cold medicines or taken too much. Our bodies are different. I'm 4'10", weigh 105lbs, and can take enough Benadryl to bring down a horse. My 6'3", 210lbs husband takes 1 and starts hallucinating. It's possible that he had a lot of (legal) something and wasn't in the right frame of mind. However, it's also possible that he was hiding something, like depression, that nobody else in his life could see (or didn't want to see).

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back