Radio personality, Rush Limbaugh, 70, has died, Feb 2021

Rush Limbaugh, Talk Radio’s Conservative Provocateur, Dies at 70 - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Rush Limbaugh, the relentlessly provocative voice of conservative America who dominated talk radio for more than three decades with shooting-gallery attacks on liberals, Democrats, feminists, environmentalists and other moving targets, died on Wednesday. He was 70.

His wife, Kathryn, said the cause was lung cancer. Mr. Limbaugh had announced on his show last February that he advanced lung cancer. A day later, President Donald J. Trump awarded him the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation’s highest civilian honor, during the State of the Union address...

I hold him responsible for much of the state of the nation today. His show made it ok to make fun of and put down people who held a different viewpoint. He came up with many of the offensive terms people call others today. Each man's death may diminish me, but his sure doesn't diminish me much.

Opinions are just that ... opinions, and everyone has one. You either liked the man or you didn't, so I don't think members can expect to read ONLY warm and fuzzy in this particular thread.

Websleuths isn't forcing anyone to say only nice things, but please just keep the real inflammatory comments down to a dull roar.

Thank you.

While I respect your sadness at his passing @sallye818, calling Rush Limbaugh a “master of sarcasm” is apt, but most who understand the meaning of sarcasm would not consider it a compliment. The definition of sarcasm below describes him perfectly...

Sarcasm is a form of verbal irony that mocks, ridicules, or expresses contempt. It’s really more a tone of voice than a rhetorical device. You’re saying the opposite of what you mean (verbal irony) and doing it in a particularly hostile tone.

Sarcasm comes from the Greek words “sark” meaning “flesh,” and “asmos” meaning “to tear or rip.” So it literally means “ripping flesh” – a pretty bloody image for a type of speech that we use all the time!
<snip>
Sarcasm doesn’t always have to be vicious or mean. It can also be humorous, playful, or (as in this example) self-deprecating.
^^
But that wasn’t how Limbaugh used sarcasm.
Sarcasm: Definition and Examples | LiteraryTerms.net

More at this link:
sarcasm

Unfortunately, Limbaugh’s many years on the radio expressing contempt, ridicule, and mockery with hostility have emboldened a large segment of the conservative population, including the former President, to speak the same way or at least tolerate it. Kindness and empathy have been trampled on and are mocked as weak. That was not how I remember political discourse before Limbaugh’s show began. There has been a gradual erosion of civility and compassion to our detriment.
JMO MOO

This Limbaugh tribute tweet explains so much about Kayleigh McEnany IMO.

1/3 Rush Limbaugh had unrelenting boldness to proclaim the truth. Watching his wit, passion, and willingness to hold the media accountable informed my entire career. Growing up in Plant City, Florida, my dad would always play the Rush Limbaugh program in his pick-up truck...

2/3 My fellow classmates from my all girls Catholic school knew if they road in my car, we would be listening to Rush Limbaugh. I am the definition of a “Rush Baby,” and it’s not just me. There are tens of thousands of us all across the conservative movement.

3/3 He has built a legacy that will endure for many generations to come and will continue to inform our country. Thank you, Rush, for all you have done for this nation. The United States of America is better because of you.

https://twitter.com/kayleighmcenany/status/1362089278361206784

<modsnip>

As has been reported there was a segment that ran on his show in the 1980s announcing the running list of gay men who died of AIDS. It ran for about 2 weeks, and then it was pulled. In hindsite, Limbaugh said it was one of the most regrettable things he did. He donated to AIDS charities, the total amount over the last 40 years, is unknown. Having had many close gay male friends in the art community of the 1980s, and knowing those who died of AIDS, I did not like the segment at all. But, seeing the errors of his ways during the era of "shock jocks", he expressed his remorse. What more can you ask of another human being? Forgiveness is freeing to those who give it.

Last edited by a moderator:
His "AIDS Update" Probably had to be remorseful so he did not lose fans. What made him want to do that segment of his show? He said a lot of horrible things.

People are willing to forgive Charlie Sheen for actually putting gay men and straight women in danger of getting HIV/AIDS. Think about that...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back