NV NV - Steven Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - #22

11 years later, and people are still out there wondering what happened to you, Steven. Where did you go, Steven?

Once I've read the police reports again and watched that podcast (since it appears the person who did it actually helped out in the search and it might have extra information), I'm gonna give my theories as to what might have happened.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but did the police not do the simple task of obtaining a scent sniffing dog to put in Steven's car when it was discovered? It would have let them straight to his last location (where he walked), on Evening Lights street - perhaps in front of someone's house. The drug sniffing dog was a good idea but yielded nothing.

The police in Florida used one for Jennifer Kesse's case when her car was discovered two days after her disappearance, and it led them straight back to her apartment complex. That case is still unsolved but at least it shows someone at the apartment was involved.

The neighbour's son at 2260 seems highly suspicious to me. It's clear on the footage that Steven crossed the road, implying his destination was on that side of the street, which is where 2260 is. The fact there was a large moving truck in the driveway that day prevented Steven from parking there, assuming that was his destination. I just get a feeling there has to be a connection. The son was nervous and didn't want to tell police where he lived, as he "didn't have any friends in the area" but somehow knew there was a drug scene in the city. If I were part of the investigation, I would track the son's phone records, or even the whole family's, as there could be link between him and Steven's landlord (unless they already did but doesn't seem like it).

I feel the police really dropped the ball due to laziness in this situation. I don't want to sound rude but with the number of spelling errors and some of the vague descriptions in their reports, they don't seem intelligent enough to follow through and investigate more

Last edited:
The neighbour's son at 2260 seems highly suspicious to me. It's clear on the footage that Steven crossed the road, implying his destination was on that side of the street, which is where 2260 is. The fact there was a large moving truck in the driveway that day prevented Steven from parking there, assuming that was his destination. I just get a feeling there has to be a connection. The son was nervous and didn't want to tell police where he lived, as he "didn't have any friends in the area" but somehow knew there was a drug scene in the city. If I were part of the investigation, I would track the son's phone records, or even the whole family's, as there could be link between him and Steven's landlord (unless they already did but doesn't seem like it).

I agree with this 100% and think this is where the PI is needed.

There is a reason why he was in this specific area.

Some interesting discussion is going on in the Facebook group for Steven, and I figured I would cross-post some of those materials. A lot of this is from the police report issued by the St. George police department. Some people smarter than me have figured out some interesting things that makes it seem we were not told everything correctly by the police department until the reports were released.

First of all - the coordinates of the 8:52 AM and 10:53 AM calls on Dec 13. The coordinates are listed on page 8 of the St. George report. The first set of coordinates (35.257778, -115.075) returns to a place in Hart, California. The second set of coordinates (35.9672222, -115.181944) returns to the I-15 coming into Vegas. This shows that rather than coming in from the north to Las Vegas as we always thought he was, Steven had actually been in California and was coming from the south.

The other interesting thing is on page 5 of the St. George report - "The records indicated that the last out-going call from the phone occurred on 12/14/2009 at 8:04 hours. The call was to the phone number of (blacked out). It is not known who the call went to. The call only lasted 10 seconds. There are several incoming calls after that call, but no further out-going." Because this has elsewhere been reported as being at 7:04 AM, this leads me to believe the call occurred at 8:04 am MST (St. George time) / 7:04 AM PST (Las Vegas time). Traditionally, this has been reported as Steven checking his voicemail, but the police report shows that this isn't true. Furthermore, usual reports have said this was the last activity on his phone, but the report here says that further incoming calls came in after this.

Another thing I caught while perusing the St. George police report is something I didn't take notice of while first reading it through--on Page 3 it says "Deanne explained the landlord contacted a neighbor who informed him they saw Steven leaving his residence on the night of 12/12/09. The neighbor told the landlord that Steven told them he was traveling to Las Vegas."

This shows that Steven told someone he was going to Las Vegas (at least if we are to believe BB), and likely didn't return to his place after he left at around 10:30 pm on Dec 13.

All of this information changes the case. I never thought to check the coordinates, but now that they have been checked it's all rather strange. What was Steven doing in California? If he said he was going to Las Vegas, why is he down in California the next morning?

I'm going to keep combing through the police reports to see if anything else we know about this case is contradicted by what is in the police report.

Edit: BB's wife, known here as stillLooking and on the website (Steve Koecher missing since 12/13/09! The family is offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to the resolution of the case.) I found this on as Nikayla, said this: "Someone used his phone to call a ATT voicemail retrieval to get messages, probably not his messages because usually it shows that you called your own phone number if your getting your own messages but it shows the call was entered as a generic voicemail retrieval number . That was on Monday 12/14/09. Now his phone is dead."

Last edited:
Yes, I also noticed this in the report....that the phone didn't in fact go to voicemail during the last outgoing call as mentioned multiple times. All these years that was my impression and this is a huge new revelation! Which phone number did the last call actually go to? Why was the information spread that it went to voicemail?

To all who are concerned about, and interested in SK’s case. I am but one private investigator on a team who are looking into this case. As you may know, it is a laborious process. In addition, we are investigating the case pro bono. Please do not contact the family out of respect for them and SK. We believe we are making progress, and contacting the family simply complicates matters and disturbs them greatly. In closing, Our efforts have discovered certain details pertinent to the case. I am unable to share those at this time, as you might understand. We have not given up.

To all who are concerned about, and interested in SK’s case. I am but one private investigator on a team who are looking into this case. As you may know, it is a laborious process. In addition, we are investigating the case pro bono. Please do not contact the family out of respect for them and SK. We believe we are making progress, and contacting the family simply complicates matters and disturbs them greatly. In closing, Our efforts have discovered certain details pertinent to the case. I am unable to share those at this time, as you might understand. We have not given up.

Hi there -

I recall that you posted something regarding Steven and Hart, CA and then deleted your post, can you share why?

Moonbeam,
I can explain. To protect the investigation from revealing too many details. However, I am gathering via posts here, that some details are already known, ie; cell phone calls. There may or may not be something to those calls. Sorry I am vague, but its necessary. We are on it.

Rbbm

Maybe the case is solved by finding a connection between MD and BB The landlord. Who knows what direction the case will have to be taken for poor Steven’s case to be solved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where can I find the missing person report from St. George PD?

Link to police reports can be found in earlier post (see below)
Hello everyone,

I am new to the thread but fairly familiar with Steven’s case. I noticed that Ed Dentzel, the host of Unfound Podcast, was sharing some case files on his website this week, so I wanted to make sure that everyone was aware. The “information dump” (is what I am calling it :)) consists of:

1. St. George, UT PD incident report re: Steven’s disappearance;

2. “security incident report” (“I think this corrects something that at least I have misunderstood for the last ten years. I thought the stolen vehicle on the landlord's property was found until AFTER Steven disappeared. This paperwork shows the vehicle was identified BEFORE Steven disappeared. In fact, 4 months before he disappeared in Las Vegas.” per Ed on his Unfound Podcast Discussion FB page);

3. Henderson, NV PD incident report, St. George, UT PD police report, call records, assets:
105 | Steven Koecher: A Personal Tale

I can hardly believe it has been almost eleven years :(.

Reading the posts of @stillLooking are highly suspicious. I suggest everyone go back and look at how much deflection is taking place.

BB’s wife is the poster and she references Steven’s roommate in every post. She goes from “he smoked pot” to “we heard a rumor he was one of the biggest drug dealers in Orem”.

The information she knows seems very suspicious considering she points the finger at the roommate yet her husband has been arrested several times for severe crimes. It’s not funny but almost absurd reading these posts. They are from Jan 14 to Apr 11.

Reading the posts of @stillLooking are highly suspicious. I suggest everyone go back and look at how much deflection is taking place.

BB’s wife is the poster and she references Steven’s roommate in every post. She goes from “he smoked pot” to “we heard a rumor he was one of the biggest drug dealers in Orem”.

The information she knows seems very suspicious considering she points the finger at the roommate yet her husband has been arrested several times for severe crimes. It’s not funny but almost absurd reading these posts. They are from Jan 14 to Apr 11.
I hope that these get screenshoted by anyone doing research on this case (could they get deleted by the OP?)

I hope that these get screenshoted by anyone doing research on this case (could they get deleted by the OP?)

No, but posts can be removed by moderators.

Note: per Websleuth's Terms of Service, sleuthing is limited to MSM, LE reports, and anyone named as a Person of Interest by LE.

So -- posting about another poster is generally not OK.

jmho ymmv lrr

No, but posts can be removed by moderators.

Note: per Websleuth's Terms of Service, sleuthing is limited to MSM, LE reports, and anyone named as a Person of Interest by LE.

So -- posting about another poster is generally not OK.

jmho ymmv lrr

I’ll take that risk.

I’ll take that risk.

Oh, I definitely agree with you about the train of thought, just waiting for LE or at least a news outlet to take that & run. Looks like an investigative reporter could go rather far with that....

Where is Steven???

jmho ymmv lrr

I am a bit frustrated with all of the extensive drug addict theories being presented. This kid did not get involved in drugs and was not strung out. Maybe he was feeling nostalgic about his old girlfriend and thought he'd surprise her when he was in her area. Feeling a bit embarrassed about the reason for his trip, he tells the parents some story that ultimately doesn't check out. Bottom line is drug addicts, down on their luck making "supposedly" irrational 1300 miles trips with no return gas money is not the kind of person who says no to help with rent from his dad. Really? When was the last time any drug addict refused cash for any reason. Please. More likely, he ran into a crime in progress or became a victim of crime while he was in the neighborhood passing out flyers or simply got ambushed when he travelled to the culdesac where he clearly had had been prepared for a meeting of some sort. He was not a drug addict. 1. Check for other crimes committed in and around the areas he might have run up on while passing out the flyers. Maybe he was silenced by someone he saw. 2. Using digital records or micro film look at all the area job postings in the area for the weeks leading up to the disappearance. Especially any posting that might have stopped running after the date of disappearance. He answered help wanted ads. One of those ads might provide a deeper clue. Sacramento may play very heavy into the company, organization of person whom he might have met while possibly responding to a job offer. Otherwise, telling the xgf's parents he was on his way to Sacramento made little. Very little sense. Sac was on his mind for a reason.

Last edited:
I don’t think Steven was taking any drugs at all. I also don’t think he was passing out flyers. I think his landlord was into something shady/illegal and asked Steven to either pick up or deliver something to help cover the rent he owed. Steven may not have even known what it was. He most likely wound up in the wrong place at the wrong time or ran into some bad people.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthseeker158
Back