Radio personality, Rush Limbaugh, 70, has died, Feb 2021

People are willing to forgive Charlie Sheen for actually putting gay men and straight women in danger of getting HIV/AIDS. Think about that...

I have always heard that the one that hurt another needed to ask for forgiveness from the person(s) he/she hurt. Have not heard of en masse forgiveness. Well, I have heard of it but cannot mention it here because OT. MOO

I was a twenty four year old man when Rush came to Sacramento and started his show on KFBK. His show helped me to understand politics and how conservatism was the answer to many problems that America faced.

My parents didn't give me any kind of guidance or encouragement on politics so I never voted. They did give me a clear understanding of the importance of being self reliant and to respect all other people no matter who they are. When I listened to Rush I heard the same thing. Because of Rush I registered to vote and have not missed voting on any election since.

He was a great man. He changed my life forever and I am eternally grateful for everything he has done for me and America.

Every one is entitled to their own opinion based on their own experiences. That said, and based on my own, Rush Limbaugh was definitely an influential man. One who used his podium to spread intolerance and division and judgment and hate. He may have been great at what he did but he was hardly a great man, just a man with way too much attention and way too little remorse.

BTW, at one point my ex was a ditto head so I listened to quite a bit of Rush back then. I understand schtick and persona in the entertainment field. I understand being outrageous to get airplay, sponsors and ratings. What I couldn't, and still can't, understand were the people who bought into his ravings and championed the bile he threw out on a daily basis. I have no way of knowing but I believe that Rush didn't believe everything he said, he just believed the reaction he got and boy did he get one. He created his audience and then catered to it. I'm not glad he's dead but I'm not sorry either.

People are willing to forgive Charlie Sheen for actually putting gay men and straight women in danger of getting HIV/AIDS. Think about that...

What Charlie Sheen did was despicable and unforgivable IMO. But he did not have a popular radio show that he used to poison American minds for decades. That too is despicable and unforgivable IMO.

What Charlie Sheen did was despicable and unforgivable IMO. But he did not have a popular radio show that he used to poison American minds for decades. That too is despicable and unforgivable IMO.

Obviously, Elton John who became friends with Rush Limbaugh and played at his wedding must be into open dialogue and forgiveness. I love Elton John, too!!!

What I couldn't, and still can't, understand were the people who bought into his ravings and championed the bile he threw out on a daily basis.

I’ve too have tried to understand how anyone could listen to the anger, intolerance, hatred and mockery Limbaugh spewed and somehow filter that out and only hear conservative values expressed. Same with Trump’s church-going followers. Or do they hear the anger, intolerance, hatred and mockery and agree with it? How can one person accept it and another person reject it? I’m sure that many or most followers of Limbaugh and Trump are decent, caring people in their everyday lives. Limbaugh and Trump no doubt had/have some good qualities. Clearly Elton John was able to see those qualities in Limbaugh and ignore the radio persona somehow. My beef with both men is that they used their platforms to appeal to the baser instincts of their huge audiences, rather than appeal to “the better angels of our nature,” to quote Lincoln’s inaugural address.
JMO

Honest Abe Reminds Us Of The Power Of Words

Over 15 million listeners to his program were enlightened, and returned for more. The listeners may or may not have agreed with all he said, but he encouraged people to seek out the truth

Rush Limbaugh has the most listened to radio program in the United States and it’s been that way for a long time. Whether or not you like him, that says a lot. IMO

It does say a lot @BayouBelle_LA. I guess we will have to agree to disagree about whether that’s a good thing or not. I’m afraid I find it horrifying.
JMO.

Over 15 million listeners to his program were enlightened, and returned for more. The listeners may or may not have agreed with all he said, but he encouraged people to seek out the truth

I accept y0ur right, @shotgun09, to believe Limbaugh “encouraged people to seek out truth,” but, seriously, there was no truth about birtherism, no truth that Covid is the “common cold” being “weaponized by Democrats” against Trump, no truth to The Big Lie that the election was stolen by massive fraud, and no truth about January 6, first denying the violence and then saying we shouldn’t be horrified by it, comparing it favorably to the original Tea Party. And those lies only date back through the past year and to Obama’s presidency. The truth is that Limbaugh encouraged people to believe and parrot the many lies he promoted over the course of decades IMO.

Um ... yeah, that's how many of us know he said horrible things. No fake news or spin doctors needed, just ears, an open mind, and the ability to think for oneself instead of just "ditto"-ing.

Gov. DeSantis to order flags lowered after Rush Limbaugh’s death

From the article, and some of the Governors tweet embedded:

"Rush busted through a media landscape in which a handful of media outlets served up pre-cooked liberal narratives. By providing a fresh, conservative perspective, Rush attracted millions of listeners and paved the way for the proliferation of conservative media. Rush was no flash in the pan-he was the dominant force in radio for decades.

" Rush is the GOAT-of radio, of conservative media and of inspiring a loyal army of American patriots"

I wonder if all of the people who are claiming Rush said horrible things actually listened to his show.
Let's see Barack the magic negro,called a law student a *advertiser censored*.accused Michael J fox of faking his illness,called 12 year old chelsea Clinton a dog,said the NBA should be outlawed and called gangs,said feminists were all unattractive,made fun of gay men who died of Aids.

Let's see Barack the magic negro,called a law student a *advertiser censored*.accused Michael J fox of faking his illness,called 12 year old chelsea Clinton a dog,said the NBA should be outlawed and called gangs,said feminists were all unattractive,made fun of gay men who died of Aids.
So you listened to Rush often.

I think I may have an answer to my question above. So Rush had a large liberal audience along with conservatives. I'm sure he was thankful for all of them making his show a great success that lasted for decades.

From USA today:

In a phone interview with Fox News' Harris Faulkner and Bill Hemmer, former President Donald Trump said Wednesday he last talked to Limbaugh “three or four days ago. His fight was very, very courageous and he was very, very sick.”

Trump said he first met Limbaugh after he began his 2016 presidential campaign and the two got along personally. "He was with me right from the beginning," Trump said of the talk show host.

“Rush is irreplaceable, unique. He had an audience that was massive. … He would get up in the show and just talk. He wouldn’t take phone calls, where people would call in every two minutes. That’s sort of easy to do. He would just talk for two hours or three hours, just talk," Trump said. "That’s not an easy thing to do. I once asked him, I said, ‘Do you study for the show?’ He said, ‘Actually, I study very hard,’ which a little bit surprised me. He was a fantastic man, a fantastic talent. People, whether they loved him or not, they respected him. They really did.”

Fox confined its questions to Limbaugh's death. But at several points, Trump repeated his protests of his election loss to President Joe Biden, claiming Limbaugh agreed with his protests. "Rush felt we won, and he was quite angry about it," Trump claimed.

The former president also issued a statement following his Fox interview where he and Melania Trump offered their "deepest condolences."

"His honor, courage, strength, and loyalty will never be replaced. Rush was a patriot, a defender of Liberty, and someone who believed in all of the greatness our Country stands for," Trump said. "He will be missed greatly."

Former Vice President Mike Pence also called into Fox News to speak about Limbaugh's legacy, noting "the country will never forget Rush Limbaugh."
"When I served in the House of Representatives, he was our greatest champion when we were fighting a rearguard action for conservative values in Republican and Democrat administrations. … When I was governor of Indiana and when I served as vice president, he was the anchor of conservatism," Pence said. "He gave voice to a movement and to the ideals that have always made America great and have been making America great again."

Trump's son, Donald Trump Jr., called Limbaugh "a true American legend" on Twitter.

Bill O'Reilly reflected on Limbaugh's iconic career.
"The legacy of Rush Limbaugh is clear: the most successful radio broadcaster in history. Mr. Limbaugh provided a conservative balance against the dangerous left wing corporate media machine," he tweeted.

Rush Limbaugh dies at 70: Donald Trump, Bill O'Reilly, more react

So you listened to Rush often.

I think I may have an answer to my question above. So Rush had a large liberal audience along with conservatives. I'm sure he was thankful for all of them making his show a great success that lasted for decades.
No I listened to those comments on the national news.I don't waste my time listening to a man filled with cruelty and hate.I prefer to listen to people who care about others and want to make the world a better place.But that's just me.

No I listened to those comments on the national news.I don't waste my time listening to a man filled with cruelty and hate.I prefer to listen to people who care about others and want to make the world a better place.But that's just me.
If you actually listened to Rush you would have found out that he was a very caring man and was not filled with hate.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoRo