GUILTY MI - Sherri Richter tried to set car on fire with 11 y/o son inside, Monroe Co., 2017

Spellbound

falsus in uno, falsus in omnibus
Reaction score
[The boy was not physically injured]

http://www.monroenews.com/news/20170627/woman-arrested-after-trying-to-burn-son-in-car
A woman was arrested by Monroe County Sheriff’s deputies after she bound her 11-year-old son and locked him inside a car, and attempted to set the vehicle on fire at Roselawn Memorial Park in LaSalle Tuesday.

Deputies arrived minutes later and found the Focus emitting smoke from the passenger compartment, but the mother and son could not be found. Deputies located the pair in a different part of the cemetery talking to staff....

A preliminary investigation revealed the mother bound her son at the wrists and locked him inside the car. The mother started a fire in the trunk with the boy still inside. The mother later attempted to start another fire using gasoline inside the passenger compartment where the boy sat. The second fire did not ignite while the boy struggled to free himself from the vehicle. The mother then freed the boy from the car and they walked away until locating an employee of the cemetery. The employee freed the boy from the bindings.

http://www.monroenews.com/news/20170629/court-mother-says-son-was-overweight
The motive for Sherri Richter’s alleged actions was revealed in court documents, which also showed she was legally drunk at the time.

The woman accused of setting a car on fire with her young son tied up inside allegedly committed the act because the boy was overweight.

http://www.toledoblade.com/Police-F...tive-of-woman-they-say-tried-to-kill-son.html
Monroe County officials would not comment Friday on the suspected motive of a Frenchtown Township woman they said tried to kill her young son.

Sherri Richter, 48, is accused of trying to set her 11-year-old boy on fire inside her car at Roselawn Memorial Park. She was arraigned Thursday on charges of assault with intent to murder and arson.
A 1st District Court judge in Monroe set bond at $100,000. She remained held in the county jail.

Sad, sad story....considering they were at a cemetary, sounds like more to this story. I hope he has other family local.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

Sad, sad story....considering they were at a cemetary, sounds like more to this story. I hope he has other family local.

I am pretty sure there is a lot we have not heard. Unfortunately, Monroe a County is not known to update these crimes very well. I hope we hear more. The poor young man is going to have unbelievable memories to carry the rest of his life. I can only pray he has other family that can help and guide him through the days and years ahead.

Good grief What the actual F? Seriously are we that messed up as a human race that we just have zero regard for life?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good grief What the actual F? Seriously are we that messed up as a human race that we just have zero regard for life?

Yes I'm quoting myself because looking at half the cases here, I answer my own question.

Ugh, from your second link:

Coincidentally, one of Richter’s grandchildren is a son of Daniel Clay, who is on trial for sexual assault and was convicted of murdering Chelsea Bruck, said court officials.
During his sexual assault and home invasion trial Clay, 28, testified that he has three children. The mother of one of those children is Richter’s daughter.

The boy's mom was legally drunk when she tried to burn him up which makes it hard for me to be sympathetic even if she does have a mental health issue. According to court documents she attempted to burn her son to death because he was overweight. That she eventually released him from the car makes me believe she knew she was doing something wrong - as opposed to being in some sort of psychotic episode. So sick or not she intended to kill him at one point.

But I'm not a mental health professional so it's JMO. In any case her son is the victim here; if mom is sick then I hope she gets help.

Most of all though I hope this child will get all the love and support he deserves.

:tears:

The boy's mom was legally drunk when she tried to burn him up which makes it hard for me to be sympathetic even if she does have a mental health issue. According to court documents she attempted to burn her son to death because he was overweight. That she eventually released him from the car makes me believe she knew she was doing something wrong - as opposed to being in some sort of psychotic episode. So sick or not she intended to kill him at one point.

But I'm not a mental health professional so it's JMO. In any case her son is the victim here; if mom is sick then I hope she gets help.

Most of all though I hope this child will get all the love and support he deserves.

Gross! What a ! So glad he's ok.

Yes, MsMarple, it is the young boy I am concerned about. He will never get over this incident. I just hope he can get supportive care from all who love and care about him,

Unfortunately, it sounds like this family is not the cream of the crop!

Up above it reads that this mother has a daughter who has a child with the murderer of Chelsea Bruck.

Also, if this mother was drunk, what was she doing driving with her son in the car?!

What a sad story...

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

June 29:

The woman accused of setting a car on fire with her young son tied up inside allegedly committed the act because the boy was overweight.

The motive for Sherri Richter’s alleged actions was revealed in court documents, which also showed she was legally drunk at the time.

Richter, 48, was arraigned this morning on charges of assault with intent to murder and arson after police said she set fire to a car at a cemetery with her 11-year-old son temporarily trapped inside. The boy eventually was released unharmed.

http://www.monroenews.com/news/20170629/court-mother-says-son-was-overweight

http://www.monroenews.com/news/2017...used-of-trying-to-burn-son-tied-up-in-vehicle

Her attorney, Sajid A. Khan of Monroe, requested a forensic evaluation, which was granted by First District Judge Terrence P. Bronson. A review of the results is expected to be discussed in Judge Bronson’s court on Sept. 11.
Richter will under a forensic evaluation for competency and criminal responsibility. She will be evaluated to determine if she understands the nature of the court proceedings and her role in the legal system. Richter also will be tested to determine if she understands the legal differences between right and wrong.
If she was found incompetent, she could undergo treatment until it is determined she is competent. She also will be examined to determine her sanity at the time of the incident. If she was found to be insane at the time of the incident, it is possible she wouldn’t be prosecuted.

She had been found competent to stand trial. One report found her sane at tije of incident; one report found her insane at that time.

http://www.monroenews.com/news/20180508/richter-pleads-no-contest-to-child-abuse

[FONT=&quot]Sherri M. Richter, the Frenchtown Township mother accused of setting a car on fire with her son tied up inside, pleaded no contest to second- degree child abuse and can serve up to 29 months in prison.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In exchange for the plea, Richter’s origin l charges, which included assault with intent to murder and arson, were dropped.

She is scheduled to be sentenced June 21.[/FONT]

Michigan woman accused of trying to set son on fire sentenced
The Frenchtown Township woman accused of trying to set her 11 year-old son on fire was sentenced to 29 to 120 months in prison.

Sherri Richter, 49, was accused of binding her boy’s wrists and locking him inside her car in June 2017, then lighting a fire inside the car’s trunk and trying to light a second fire near the boy.

Mother bound 11 year-old son's wrists, put him in car and set it on fire | Metro News
She made a groveling apology in court after, saying: ‘I’m sorry to my son … and family, that I love very much.’

But that cut little ice with sentencing Judge Michael Weipert, who said: ‘We have a mother who did the unthinkable, committed a horrendous act of violence against her own son in an attempt to take his life.

‘I cannot imagine the terror that that poor boy felt to know that his own mother was doing this to him.’

Michigan woman who tied up son, set car on fire to spend at least 2.5 years in prison
Weipert said he couldn't believe the defense would consider reunification between Richter and her son. The victim's father even spoke briefly in court asking for his family to be put back together because his son misses his mother. The judge did not agree.

"He should never be left alone with her," said Weipert. "Dad's obligation now is to protect his son."

Family fights against prison time for Monroe County woman who tied up son, set car on fire

thank you so much for the update. I would have missed this sentencing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back