CO CO - Two Teens Gunned Down in Subway Restaurant, 2000

Eyeconnic

Reaction score
Not even a year later of the awful Columbine shooting, two teens were shot in a Subway restaurant. Nick Kunselman and Stephanie Hart-Grizzell were high school sweet hearts, and later gunned down approximately around 10 pm on February 13th, the bodies were discovered around midnight when a co-worker drove by the restaurant noticing that oddly the lights were still on. A blonde, clean shaven, 5’8” was seen leaving the restaurant.

There are some odd things about this case that I don’t understand. For instance the cops couldn’t enter the restaurant without a warrant? Wouldn’t two bodies be probable cause? This was the year 2000 so I understand this is just on the rise of technology but this subway had security cameras that were turned off. This Subway was also known to sell drugs out the back door. I can’t find much information revolving around this case and I would like some help to figure out what happened.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.9n...taurant-still-unsolved&contentId=73-438110665

Not even a year later of the awful Columbine shooting, two teens were shot in a Subway restaurant. Nick Kunselman and Stephanie Hart-Grizzell were high school sweet hearts, and later gunned down approximately around 10 pm on February 13th, the bodies were discovered around midnight when a co-worker drove by the restaurant noticing that oddly the lights were still on. A blonde, clean shaven, 5’8” was seen leaving the restaurant.

There are some odd things about this case that I don’t understand. For instance the cops couldn’t enter the restaurant without a warrant? Wouldn’t two bodies be probable cause? This was the year 2000 so I understand this is just on the rise of technology but this subway had security cameras that were turned off. This Subway was also known to sell drugs out the back door. I can’t find much information revolving around this case and I would like some help to figure out what happened.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.9news.com/amp/article?section=news&subsection=crime&headline=17-years-later-murder-of-two-teens-in-subway-restaurant-still-unsolved&contentId=73-438110665

Just came across this thread thank you for posting. I am the same age as Stephanie and Nick and from Littleton too. Their murders so close after Columbine shootings were devastating to the community and even more hurtful were the rumors that they were involved in drugs and killed over drugs. They were absolutely just normal teens who should be in their mid 30's now with careers and families.

Nick Kunselman and Stephanie Hart-Grizzell

LINK:
20 years later, murders of 2 young Columbine students at Subway shop remain unsolved

I have a feeling the friend that supposedly passed by n seen the shop open still and discovered them dead has something to do with it. Whats the chances of passing by late night a place u work at. Something is odd about it. N also no money was takened. So yea

I've only read a couple of news reports on this case but I sure have a lot of questions, and I'm kind of surprised there aren't more posts here.

Also, the friend who discovered the victims (if I understand correctly) has been missing for several years.

Colorado Cold Case Files - Case Detail: Brandi Malonson

Is there a WS thread for her?
Hello, Newbie here,

Death Perspective: Looking at her case file, Brandi is wearing a jumpsuit so her photo was taken in a confinement in colorado "Colorado Cold Case Files - Case Detail: Brandi Malonson". So she has files in the state records that might be helpful. In the thread "CO - CO - Brandi Malonson, 23, Littleton, 26 Dec 2006" it states she was once on probation for drug use. What I am thinking a drug deal went wrong. Was there anyone else that was associated with her and her drug use. Such as her dealer(s) that MIGHT tie in with her. If her dealer(s) have a wrap sheet, that could be a possible lead. I found she was introduced to crystal meth shortly into Community college (Park CC) in colorado. One of her female friends gave her meth shortly she became addicted to it. That female friend COULD lead to more intel. Running through multiple obituaries for the "Why not" factor, there are no entries for a "Brandi Jo Malonson".

Alive Perspectives: Further reading into her case, she was also convicted of identity theft. There is a good possibility of her no longer being "Brandi Malonson". Digging deeper into her background, I found some hits on a background check for a "Brandi Jo Malonson". Hits such as a current address that dates back to 2017 in Littleton, CO. Two phone numbers are currently being checked if they are active.
(If need be, I can post this information.)

I have a gut feeling she MIGHT still be alive and the information of her death might be a rumor. Someone could have claimed she died to give her an alibi to stay in hiding in fear of situations she may be running from.

Last edited:
Feb 14 2021 rbbm.
Reward increased to $100,000 in murder of 2 teens at Subway | 9news.com
248acc7c-79bd-4db4-a40d-a60c27fb8ce4_1920x1080.jpg

''JEFFERSON COUNTY, Colo. — Metro Denver Crime Stoppers increased the reward to $100,000 on Sunday for information leading to an arrest in a homicide that happened 21 years ago on Valentine's Day.

On Feb. 14, 2000, high school sweethearts Nicholas Kunselman, 15, and Stephane Hart-Grizzell, 16, were found dead not long after midnight in the Subway restaurant at 6768 W. Coal Mine Ave., a few blocks from Columbine High School.''

''Since then, the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office (JCSO) has worked the case continuously and JSCO detectives think that someone has a key piece of information that could lead to an arrest, Crime Stoppers said.

“With this significantly increased reward, people who haven’t come forward with their information will be much more likely to do so now," said JCSO Sheriff Jeff Shrader in a press release. "We are continuing our diligent work to bring justice to Nicholas and Stephanie."

No matter how small, anyone who has information on this crime can contact Metro Denver Crime Stoppers at (720) 913-7867 or metrodenvercrimestoppers.com. Tipsters can remain anonymous.

To be eligible for the reward, tipsters must call the tip line or submit a tip online. The tip line is answered 24 hours a day, seven days a week. ''
Reward Jumps To $100,000 In Murders Of Nick Kunselman, Stephanie Hart-Grizzell
Subway-Teens-Homicide-1-Metro-Denver-Crime-Stoppers-on-FB.png

Stephanie Hart-Grizzell and Nicholas Kunselman (credit: Metro Denver Crime Stoppers)

''Kunselman, 15, worked there, and Hart-Grizzel, 16, waited for him to get off of work.

A fellow employee later noticed the lights were still on just before 1 a.m. The teenagers’ bodies were found behind the counter inside the restaurant.

Investigators say both were shot by at least one unknown intruder.''

upload_2021-2-16_7-5-31.jpeg
With this significantly increased reward, people who haven’t come forward with their information will be much more likely to do so,” said Sheriff Jeff Shrader. “We are continuing our diligent work to bring justice to Nicholas and Stephanie.”

64 people indicted in huge Colorado drug trafficking bust

On the night of the murder, an employee of the Subway at 6768 W. Coal Mine Ave. drove by and noticed the lights were still on. They stopped to check on the store since it was so long after closing.

The employee found the bodies of Kunselman and Hart-Grizzell behind the counter.

“Horrific crimes like this one have an enormous impact on our community and touch the lives of everyone,” said Michael Mills, board president of Metro Denver Crime Stoppers.

Police investigating 2 bank robberies in Broomfield

“We will continue to work with the community and our law enforcement partners until this case is solved.”

Metro Denver Crime Stoppers is the agency offering the increased reward, usually proving awards of up to $2,000 for tips about crimes.

The reward is also thanks to contributions from anonymous members of the community and a $10,000 donation from Franchise World Headquarters, LLC and its Subway Stores.

Anyone with information, no matter how minuscule, is asked to contact Metro Denver Crime Stoppers at 720-913-7867 or online. Tipsters can remain anonymous.
Colorado cold case: $100,000 for information about murder of 2 teens

\

There are some odd things about this case that I don’t understand. For instance the cops couldn’t enter the restaurant without a warrant? Wouldn’t two bodies be probable cause?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.9news.com/amp/article?section=news&subsection=crime&headline=17-years-later-murder-of-two-teens-in-subway-restaurant-still-unsolved&contentId=73-438110665

RSBM

The link is broken but I'm very curious about the information regarding the warrant being necessary to enter the Subway. I was able to find a link to News9's 17 yr coverage of the case but if they mentioned the warrant, I missed it. (entirely possible).

I'm hoping someone might be able to verify this information. TIA!

RSBM

The link is broken but I'm very curious about the information regarding the warrant being necessary to enter the Subway. I was able to find a link to News9's 17 yr coverage of the case but if they mentioned the warrant, I missed it. (entirely possible).

I'm hoping someone might be able to verify this information. TIA!
I tried to correct link and this is what I came up with. I’m not sure if this is what you’re referring to. Sorry if this is duplicate. I don’t see warrant mentioned.
17 years later, murder of two teens in Subway restaurant still unsolved | 9news.com

The shooting happened at 12:47 a.m. on Feb. 14, 2000. Kunselman, 15, was working at the Subway a few blocks from Columbine High School and Hart-Grizzell, 16, was waiting for him to get off work.

An employee of the restaurant noticed the lights were on after driving by and found the bodies of Kunselman and Hart-Grizzell behind the counter.

In 2021, the Metro Denver Crime Stoppers increased the reward in this case up to $100,000 for information leading to the arrest of the person or people involved.

“Horrific crimes like this one have an enormous impact on our community and touch the lives of everyone. We are hopeful that the increase will result in tips that will lead investigators to the person or persons responsible for this crime and hopefully start the closure process for the family and friends of Nicholas and Stephanie, as well as the community. On behalf of our all-volunteer Board of Directors and privately and anonymously funded donors, we will continue to work with the community and our law enforcement partners until this case is solved,” Michael Mills, Board President of Metro Denver Crime Stoppers said in 2021

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukeyboy43
Back