TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris County, Jan 2019 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would LE be able to get all of her co-workers phone records or just those who agreed? Not sure how much evidence, if any, would be required for this. Same with family, friends, etc although of course those close to her who refused would begin to form a suspect pool, imo.

Do the other reenactment groups also appear at hospitals and funerals? Somehow I do not think so. So being part of this group has its ‘hero’ side and I don’t mean that disparagingly. But that can be a tremendous loss to a fragile ego if those heroic moments are taken away.
I think this is a very good insight.

Your insight matches the Your Tube videos by group members where they repeatedly cite the hospital visits and other charitable appearances such as at an autistic child's birthday party as being extremely rewarding, both to the children and to themselves.

In addition, the group has marched in the Rose Bowl parade and even non hospital appearances at movie openings, comicon events etc. generate alot of appreciation from other fans. "Bad Guys doing Good" is a motto of the group.

So..... based on the totality of contributions to the thread, cosplay in general in seems to have the first aspect and the 501 Legion in particular with following ones:

- A disproportionate number of "fragile egos" (neat term). A certain number of which come to derive their self esteem, social status, friends and even chosen family from the cosplay group.

- The 501 Legion can involves a significant amount of money and time investment.

- The 501 also provides a sense of self fulfillment via charitable and other appearances that is apart from just having membership in a group. This sense of self fulfillment may, or may not be readily duplicated from participation in other Star Wars groups.

So....

Though none of the above forces a cosplay motive, the totality seems to increase the chances of such a motive as a negative experience could involve a fragile ego and also have impacts in the area of self esteem, friends, money, time and self fulfillment.

The only other area that might have all the elements cosplay has, though expressed in different ways, could be "Family".

Last edited:
On page 2 of the first thread on this case...a poster, kcookok... who worked with EB said this:

“FYI The husband installs flooring... so I’m not sure about the consistency of his work schedule. She took off work to have the garage sale.”

I wonder if SB worked for a company with regular hours or was a private contractor whose work schedule varied. There hasn’t been much reported about SB’s employment.

If SB’s hours varies, that’s a big deal. Because that is even more inside information.

SB’s Star Wars helmet being in the sale intrigues me. Did he mention this garage sale item on the private blog that the group has?

But the sale of the helmet also interests me from the POV of their financial situation. Houses on that street, according to Zillow, seem to be in the $200,000 range. They take numerous trips from Texas to Florida..visiting Disney...which is not cheap. And they have an expensive hobby. Yet while his wife has a garage sale to raise money, it seems SB is selling part of his costume which would have to be replaced.

Did they borrow money and not repay it...and here they are going on a vacation? Did SB do a job and refuse to pay someone who worked with him? But surely then the fury would be more directed at SB...

My understanding is that it wa
So it was someone that knew what time he would be leaving that morning and that she wouldn’t be at work but setting up for the yard sale. Someone they both knew or that one of them knew. It wasn’t a stranger.
was someone who was parked in the neighborhood, waiting for him to leave.

Statistically, how many murders of random white women setting up a garage sale in a suburban environment gang initiations?

I don't mean that sarcastically. I do mean, how likely is that, versus being killed by (even by proxy) someone she knows? How often are 'gang initiation' killings done within gangland itself (the norm)?
Good Point. That made me laugh! I'll toss that idea!

I have a thought. I have seen mention of a stolen or borrowed vehicle, but I knew someone who went out early one morning and stole a license plate. So that could be a possibility. Why steal a truck when it's easier to steal a plate ....? Could be a neighbor's. So, putting that theory into play, we now have a disguised person AND a disguised truck. Still, I can't fathom why the brazen loud shooting. So, I'm still at a loss.

Would LE be able to get all of her co-workers phone records or just those who agreed? Not sure how much evidence, if any, would be required for this. Same with family, friends, etc although of course those close to her who refused would begin to form a suspect pool, imo.

Ive dismissed phone records since the killer apparently thought this through well enough to use a disguise and likely not their own vehicle. I’ll assume they used a burner, I watch enough crime shows that I would use a burner. :D

I have a thought. I have seen mention of a stolen or borrowed vehicle, but I knew someone who went out early one morning and stole a license plate. So that could be a possibility. Why steal a truck when it's easier to steal a plate ....? Could be a neighbor's. So, putting that theory into play, we now have a disguised person AND a disguised truck. Still, I can't fathom why the brazen loud shooting. So, I'm still at a loss.
I think the relevance of the vehicle is not so much the license plate, as it would be, hopefully, someone who knows an individual who drove that kind of vehicle at that time, and might offer a tip about them.

But the sale of the helmet also interests me from the POV of their financial situation. Houses on that street, according to Zillow, seem to be in the $200,000 range. They take numerous trips from Texas to Florida..visiting Disney...which is not cheap. And they have an expensive hobby. Yet while his wife has a garage sale to raise money, it seems SB is selling part of his costume which would have to be replaced.

Did they borrow money and not repay it...and here they are going on a vacation? Did SB do a job and refuse to pay someone who worked with him? But surely then the fury would be more directed at SB...

I think these are valid questions that are also supported by well articulated points.

As a side note, the husband works in the building trades. Construction has been booming in Texas. My general understanding, however, is that there are a lot of people chasing construction work in Texas- with more arriving daily. As a result, wages may not have kept place with the boom.

Exceptions to the possibility of falling wages exist. Hard work is always rewarded, successful owners of contracting business can take advantage of economies of scale and some individual contractors specialize in high end craft work where skill, artistry and design eyes can be leveraged.

Even still, the possibility of debt seems real given the vacations, home etc.

Last edited:
I think these are valid questions that are also supported by well articulated points.

As a side note, the husband works in the building trades. Construction has been booming in Texas. My general understanding, however, is that there are a lot of people chasing construction work in Texas- with more arriving daily. As a result, wages may not have kept place with the boom.

Exceptions to the possibility of falling wages exist. Hard work is always rewarded, successful owners of contracting business can take advantage of economies of scale and some individual contractors specialize in high end craft work where skill, artistry and design eyes can be leveraged.

Even still, the possibility of debt seems real given the vacations, home etc.
Good point. It's amazing to me that a couple in their 20's can own that kind of enormous, fully detached home. Plus take a trip for a wedding anniversary, rather than just dinner in a nice restautant. But perhaps it's no big deal in Texas.

Good point. It's amazing to me that a couple in their 20's can own that kind of enormous, fully detached home. Plus take a trip for a wedding anniversary, rather than just dinner in a nice restautant. But perhaps it's no big deal in Texas.

Historically, Texas has had a boom or bust type mentality where income from a "boom" could be expected to be spent fast and furiously and there was no shame in going "bust".

But eventually bills can come due and my guess is that many lending companies no longer facilitate fast and furious spending after having been burned by bad credit debt or mortgage melt downs.

Homes in Texas are cheaper than in many other states- and Texans like like them big- even if the interior build quality is not the best. This can account for some plus size homes being owned by certain individuals. Even still, given their occupations I think there is a real possibility of debt.

Likewise, money can be made in the building trades though hard work, developing and marketing true craft skill, as well as owning a successful contracting business. In all most all cases, these routes take far more time than being twenty something.

Which.... again raises the debt possibility.

Last edited:
Ive dismissed phone records since the killer apparently thought this through well enough to use a disguise and likely not their own vehicle. I’ll assume they used a burner, I watch enough crime shows that I would use a burner. :D

Was thinking more about setting up a hit etc...or just to see where people were that morning.

Ignore what is probably the most ridiculous thought I’ve ever posted..... but strangers on a train?

This was clearly someone with intimate knowledge of Liz’s movements that morning but no one connected to her seems involved.

That’s all.

what does being in their 20s have anything to do with it? Maybe they liked to entertain, or hoped to one day expand their family.
If that's a 'starter home' in Texas, I'm eager to see what people can afford to buy once they get established, and move up the ladder to work as managers and owners.

Money is frequently a motive for murder: conflict over it, wanting more of it, not wanting to share it.

Last edited:
If that's a 'starter home' in Texas, I'm eager to see what people can afford to buy once they get established, and move up the ladder to work as managers and owners.

Money is frequently a motive for murder: conflict over it, wanting more of it, not wanting to share it.

We don’t really know if they bought it as a starter home or a forever home. Other than Liz holding the garage sale to raise money to put towards an anniversary vacation, has it been indicated that money was an issue for them? My memory isn’t the best lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77