Identified! OH - Eaton, Wht 30-50, UP55702, fingers hooked in small tree, May '68 - Albert Allen Frost

@Susikatze Looks like someone has a very strong interest in making Penny into "Mary Jane"... Really, why? What do you mean with this? Forensic research will show if “Preble County Penny” is Mary Jane or not. Redgrave research in on to it now. At least they try closing the cases.

What I mean is that from my point of view it is pretty unlikely it is her. I really cannot imagine there are no closer missing women also closer in the timeframe for 20 years... but nothing is impossible. Just I really doubt it is her. I really dont see any connection (as stated before, LE said PMI is 12 months to 10-15 years maximum, while 1945-1968 is a gigantic difference , too large geographical distance and not much else pointing towards an ID).
If it helps bringing another case forward or at least ruling MJVG out for good (which helps her case, too), then it would be great. Just the focus on MJVG in the context of this UID seems a bit odd to me. But LE must have their reasons.

Preble County "Penny" Jane Doe, Eaton Ohio 1968 - Redgrave Research Forensic Services LLC
Redgrave Research Forensic Services has taken on the case of Preble County Jane Doe (NamUs #UP55702). Working with Detective Adam Turner of the Shelby Ohio Police Department, we are preparing to perform forensic genetic genealogy in an attempt to discover her identity. Detective Turner has nicknamed her “Preble County Penny”.

ETA: Ooops! Saw a little too late that taramarie has already posted this update on page 1. Sorry! I guess a bump in the form of a repost won't hurt ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
The original newspaper clippings are very informative. They say she likely died between 1958 and 1967. She had a dental plate and both of her cuspids intact. And that she was embalmed, which means she likely was washed out from a burial by the floods. That can happen sometimes and in that case of course there is no missing persons case.
I think that pretty much rules the Mary Jane theory out for good.

The original newspaper clippings are very informative. They say she likely died between 1958 and 1967. She had a dental plate and both of her cuspids intact. And that she was embalmed, which means she likely was washed out from a burial by the floods. That can happen sometimes and in that case of course there is no missing persons case.

Very informative indeed! Thank you.

Preble County "Penny" Jane Doe, Eaton Ohio 1968 - Redgrave Research Forensic Services LLC

ETA: Ooops! Saw a little too late that taramarie has already posted this update on page 1. Sorry! I guess a bump in the form of a repost won't hurt ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

From the Redgrave Research article, link quoted above:

About 1.5 hours later, BCI arrived on scene and entered the hole. The fragile and brittle body bag disintegrated upon touch. The bones were then carefully photographed and extracted. BCI took both femurs as well as multiple digits of the feet and hands. Curiously, there was no skull inside the vault. After a review of the original coroners report, there was a notation that the skull was “kept in the private collection” of the original coroners investigator Tim Miller. This was news to both myself and Mr. Lindloff.

Hopefully, the skull from the person exhumed can be located with the information in the linked article. The info from original newspaper articles (are there links for those?) that Susikatze posted should help immensely in identifying this Jane Doe.

Makes me wonder what else ended up in the coroner’s investigator’s “private collection.” Kind of unsettling that the taking of any remains for a private collection was allowed, even back in 1968.

I checked a few things.....flood in 1968, not a real historical one....not mentioned.....Eaton is between two creeks....Sevenmiles Creek running through it...Lot's of funeral houses on Main street, Eaton....I don't know....couldn't find a real explanation, flood wise, how this lady ended up "embalmed" up there. Just out of curiosity...is it possible to conclude from bones she was embalmed....

I honestly doubt the UID is Mary Jane.. her height is described as "short", but 5'4" is not particularily short in my book, just average. I am 5'5" and nobody would say I am "short".

And MJVG disappeared from 160 miles away and also the time difference is more than 20 years.... while the coroner said the PMI of Penny Doe was 12 months, maximum up to 15... yes, anything is possible but I really really doubt it is her.
I cannot believe there are no other missing women in that area in the 50's and 60's..

Looks like someone has a very strong interest in making Penny into "Mary Jane"... Really, why?

Nobody is looking to make Penny into Mary Jane Vanglider, it is simply a possible match being considered as such by the investigating agencies.

It seems logical to start with missing woman from Ohio, so Mary J. vanGilder could be a good one. I think there are no other "fitting" missing females from Ohio, listed at Doe Network. Maybe at Charley's but I didn't look there yet. DNA would help so much.
We have done all the above

I honestly doubt the UID is Mary Jane.. her height is described as "short", but 5'4" is not particularily short in my book, just average. I am 5'5" and nobody would say I am "short".

And MJVG disappeared from 160 miles away and also the time difference is more than 20 years.... while the coroner said the PMI of Penny Doe was 12 months, maximum up to 15... yes, anything is possible but I really really doubt it is her.
I cannot believe there are no other missing women in that area in the 50's and 60's..

Looks like someone has a very strong interest in making Penny into "Mary Jane"... Really, why?
This is Mary Jane's grandmother, no1 is trying to make Penny my grandmother. We are leaving no stone unturned. There is a possibility it could be her. The Detective helping us committed to helping all jane/ john does get there name back. There are several similar facts regarding penny and my grandmother. We will continue to search by all means.

The documents are in the Namus, but I am attaching them here for convenience. She had a very distinctive dental plate and mummified tissue remains that point towards embalming.

From the Redgrave Research article, link quoted above:

About 1.5 hours later, BCI arrived on scene and entered the hole. The fragile and brittle body bag disintegrated upon touch. The bones were then carefully photographed and extracted. BCI took both femurs as well as multiple digits of the feet and hands. Curiously, there was no skull inside the vault. After a review of the original coroners report, there was a notation that the skull was “kept in the private collection” of the original coroners investigator Tim Miller. This was news to both myself and Mr. Lindloff.

Hopefully, the skull from the person exhumed can be located with the information in the linked article. The info from original newspaper articles (are there links for those?) that Susikatze posted should help immensely in identifying this Jane Doe.

Makes me wonder what else ended up in the coroner’s investigator’s “private collection.” Kind of unsettling that the taking of any remains for a private collection was allowed, even back in 1968.

Attachments

• 6188.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
Ok...according to the paper clippings she was found in a body bag.....possibly embalmed (totally not sure about that)...there was flooding (the creeks having high water, flooding the surroundings)....brought her up from a shallow grave? It sounds all together weird (but interesting) to me....if she was given the final honors they would do before a burial, how did she ended up in what feels to be an off place.

Wow...wonderful this case is heating up. Just found this. Super great! JusticeDrive
The Shelby, Ohio, Police Department is investigating unidentified remains found in a ditch in Eaton, OH, in 1968.

On May 25, 1968, some children playing behind their home in Eaton, Ohio came across a skull in a water-filled ditch. A few hours later, they came across partial remains from the same individual. The coroner's examination of these remains determined she was a white woman, aged 30–50 who was estimated to be between 5ft. 2in. — 5ft. 6in. and between 130–140 lbs. No clothing or jewelry were found with her remains and she had no identifying marks.

It is believed that her remains had been washed out of where they had been, possibly a clandestine grave where she'd been for several years, by flooding in the area the week before. Despite best efforts of authorities, her identity was not able to be determined at the time, or since.
Eaton-OH-19680525--photo.jpg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back