Tiger Woods Injured in Roll-Over Car Accident in California, Feb 2021

Eu-MS8lUUAE7f3O

Quick explainer on the Tiger Woods injuries: “Comminuted open fractures affecting both the upper and lower portions of the tibia and fibula bones” - fracture resulting in multiple bone fragments, both lower leg bones involved at ankle/knee ends, bones have also pierced the skin

I am probably confused but I was thinking the major injuries were to the lower two leg bones of his right leg and maybe there was also only an ankle injury on the left leg? Then it sounded like the ankle injury was instead on his right leg also. Is that the same thing you are saying? Maybe he only had one leg that was injured?

This article only mentions the right leg.

What is a comminuted open fracture? Doctors explain Tiger Woods' leg injuries

“Comminuted open fractures affecting both the upper and lower portions of the tibia and fibula bones were stabilised by inserting a rod into the tibia. Additional injuries to the bones of the boot and ankle were stabilised with a combination of screws and pins.

“Trauma to the muscle and soft-tissue of the leg required surgical release of the covering of the muscles to relieve pressure due to swelling.”
Hospital reveals full extent of shocking Tiger Woods injuries after car crash
These injuries sound similar to some of the devastating leg injuries that Indycar drivers have suffered after high speed crashes.

"...appeared to be unaware of “how gravely injured he was,” citing a “mixture of adrenaline and shock.” "
Tiger Woods didn't realize severity of his injuries after rollover crash, deputy says

remembering when I was in a car accident myself (in a taxi), when after the collision I got out of the car, started to step into the road, stunned and oblivious to the continuing traffic. Someone pushed me over to the side. I also had a minor injury, deep gash in my knee, bleeding quite a bit, and didn't realize or feel a thing till later.

It sounds to me like he had "compartment sydrome" that necessitated a "fasciotomy" google image if you dare.
It's horrific!
My husband had to have it done on his left arm after accidentally shooting himself in the forearm.with a .45 hollowpoint in 1996.
A skin graft, from his upper thigh, was required back then to close it. (I believe they have new treatment now)
He had 6 surgeries in 9 days!
Bone grafting was also necessary.
IMO, the media is sparing the public from the details.
Moo
ETA: it was a fasciotomy
What is comminuted open fracture? Tiger Woods' leg injuries explained

"...appeared to be unaware of “how gravely injured he was,” citing a “mixture of adrenaline and shock.” "
Tiger Woods didn't realize severity of his injuries after rollover crash, deputy says

remembering when I was in a car accident myself (in a taxi), when after the collision I got out of the car, started to step into the road, stunned and oblivious to the continuing traffic. Someone pushed me over to the side. I also had a minor injury, deep gash in my knee, bleeding quite a bit, and didn't realize or feel a thing till later.

I too was in a high-speed crash - on the 101 freeway coming from Sun Valley - Lincoln's birthday 1966. A drunk had left his car in the fast lane - and I had NO where to go - I remember a Porsche on my right & the wall on my left. I couldn't get my door open - and when I looked down - my bone was sticking out of my wrist. Compound fracture - 26 bones crushed. I was holding the steering wheel at 7 o'clock with my left wrist - and smashed into the steering with my mouth - so much for those teeth! :)
I too went wandering into traffic from shock! And my new white fur (fake) coat was covered in blood... :(

anyway.... back to Tiger....

^ @Niner, I can't possibly "like" your post. What a horrific experience ! I'm sorry that happened, and hope your wrist was able to be put together again.

One thing I'm wondering, even at 7 am, that road has traffic. Yet there were no witnesses driving in either direction on Hawthorne. It must have happened extremely fast. Good thing there was that close by neighbor who heard it and immediately called 911.

eta...actually there were the two vehicles who stopped, and who were also hit, but have only minor injuries.

I too was in a high-speed crash - on the 101 freeway coming from Sun Valley - Lincoln's birthday 1966. A drunk had left his car in the fast lane - and I had NO where to go - I remember a Porsche on my right & the wall on my left. I couldn't get my door open - and when I looked down - my bone was sticking out of my wrist. Compound fracture - 26 bones crushed. I was holding the steering wheel at 7 o'clock with my left wrist - and smashed into the steering with my mouth - so much for those teeth! :)
I too went wandering into traffic from shock! And my new white fur (fake) coat was covered in blood... :(

anyway.... back to Tiger....

Chit @Niner! Whoa. That is *eeeeeks*. 26 bones crushed, how did such recovery go? Everyone is different for sure. I had a head on collision where both cars totalled. When police came to my car door.. I was already on the phone with AAA car service to come help me. Ummmm, I was in auto mode.. call AAA when you need car service. Policeman said, "no m'amm, this is not a AAA call. You have been in a severe accident and we will take care of such, hang up". I was in shock and just did it automatically without thinking.. but hey!! I was alive due to airbags and the science of how cars in collision drop the front end down vs. into the passenger compartment.

I drove down Hawthorne this morning, on the way to get my first vaccination dose. I couldn't believe the distance TW was out of control before landing on the embankment.
Also, there's a traffic light at Blackhorse (the intersection from where he evidently lost control), and I wonder whether he didn't expect that and tried to brake if it was on red.

I drove down Hawthorne this morning, on the way to get my first vaccination dose. I couldn't believe the distance TW was out of control before landing on the embankment.
Also, there's a traffic light at Blackhorse (the intersection from where he evidently lost control), and I wonder whether he didn't expect that and tried to brake if it was on red.

What confused me in the photos is that he rolled multiple times, yet the hood of the car is mostly unscathed, pristine. One lucky cat with 9 lives for sure.
Tiger-Woods-car-crash.jpg

Tiger Woods Injured In Los Angeles Car Crash – Deadline

I was in a bad car accident in 1986; I broke both my legs similar to Tiger and I still have no memory of it I’m willing to bet he’s in a ton of pain JMO

And if you are like me, a nasty greenstick fracture, even 30 years later, still aches when it is cold, wet. My leg just doesn't work the same way it did, before the break. After walking a long time, I start to limp, and can really feel it.

I wish Tiger the best. He needs to have a good support system to help him stay the course.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hoist Gracie
Back