Coronavirus Vaccine: Would you/did you get it?

If you were offered the Pfizer vaccine in the next 30 days would you take it?

• Yes

Votes: 42 62.7%
  • No

Votes: 20 29.9%
  • Maybe

Votes: 5 7.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Second shot of Moderna for me tomorrow morning. Also DH had his first shot of Pfizer today. He needs only to wait 3 weeks while I was required to wait 4 (29 days actually). His next dose will be given on Saint Patrick’s Day. Lucky lucky.

https://twitter.com/JesseOSheaMD (Infectious Disease/Emory University Hospital)

151655071_3628199240548798_572069755984253209_n.jpg

I answered "No" to getting the vaccine within 30 days when this poll was started. I wanted the opportunity to speak with my primary care physician about the vaccine and experiences of her other geriatric patients who got the shot. She had the Pfizer vaccine herself and had no issues with it (she's 50). Several of her older patients had the vaccine before I saw her on February 9 and also had no problems. Dr. K encouraged me to get the shot when it's offered to me. Dh and I are registered with Beaumont Health and Oakland County Health Department in Michigan. We are 72 and 71 and hope to be contacted early next month for our vaccinations.

I got the Moderna first shot today at Henry Ford Hosp in Dearborn. I truly was a nervous Nellie- my husband came with me but they would not let him be with me when I got the shot- so far no problem -- but I expect tomorrow I will have some side effects. I had spoken with my PCP who advised me to get the vaccine, which ever one I could get first, so that is what I did. I will get the 2nd shot in four weeks.

If you have allergies or have had previous reactions to the flu shot vaccine, please take precautions and seek professional advice if this vaccine is for you.

By all accounts, it truly seems the vaccine timing was a coincidence. The victim was alone when he died and found by his son during his normal, routine to check on his elderly dad. The decedent died a day later but never contacted anyone to report feeling ill after his vaccine. I believe it was natural death due to age/other health issues. (My 91-year-old mother has also been vaccinated without difficulty).

From the MSM link:

No autopsy was done, Pietrangelo said, in part because it wouldn't have provided an answer to the questions nagging at Simpson's loved ones: Did the vaccine cause their father's death? Or contribute to it in any way?

"There is no way presently to know if this vaccine had anything to do with the death," Pietrangelo said

[..]

Simpson was taking several drugs that suggested underlying health conditions could have caused his death, Pietrangelo said.

"He had several medical conditions, and that was verified through his medications," she said. "He was taking blood pressure medications. He was taking blood thinner medications. He was taking cholesterol medications. He was taking stomach medications, and a number of non-prescribed things.

"It has the appearance of a natural death. The son did tell our investigators that he had the COVID vaccine the day before, and that there were no complications as a result.

I have never had any vaccine until today when I got first shot of Moderna-- as far as the 90 year old man who passed away a day after getting the vaccine, there is no way to prove one way or another if it was related to the vaccine. However, I am a believer in timelines--- the fact he died one day after getting the vaccine indicates to me there was a possible relationship between the two-- since it can never be proven one way or the other it is an exercise in futility to ruminate too much about it. It is sad he passed away from whatever the cause.

Sometimes, the best plans go slightly awry.

Today was the date of my first COVID injection. Everyone probably knows the medication is injected into the deltoid muscle in the upper arm while the arm muscle is relaxed ( easy proper positioning of the arm is all that's required, and is easy to achieve).

I relaxed my arm on the table for my vaccine, the paramedic injected it correctly. and HALF of the medication promptly ran down my arm. He was like " Wow, I've never seen that happen before and I give injections all the time" and I was like " Wow, I've never seen anything like that happen when I gave injections properly for over 30 years".

I was near tears, I was so upset, and he was just amazed at what he'd seen. I asked him to give me another dose in my other arm, which is the CDC protocol if over half leaks out. No one can tell in a clinical setting if less than or more than or maybe exactly half my vaccine leaked out.

Neither he nor I or the 2 witnesses could testify in court as to the amount of loss, even.

The county's director said he could not authorize another injection, so I maybe got half of what I jumped through 15 steps ( no kidding) for and have wanted since I was so direly ill from COVID.

I called my personal physician to discuss the adverse incident, but really don't expect anything but apathy from him, either.
Take your mask off and see how their apathy disappears though. This is the very definition of poor health care decision making and not following the CDC guidelines by erring on the side of caution.

I am relating this because it happened to me and it can happen to others. For the CDC to address it, it must be a " not rare" event.

Here's the link: Interim Clinical Considerations for Use of mRNA COVID-19 Vaccines | CDC

Scroll to Appendix A and read about the biological leaking out of the muscle.

I wish I'd stayed home. I'm SO upset. No one else responsible for my vaccine is, but I am upset and angry.
So sorry that happened to you! It’s appalling that there’s no policy in place for situations like yours, given the seemingly infinite number of hoops one has to jump through to get the vaccine. So frustrating!

Well, it seems to me that the US ( and other countries are represented here as well) are getting huge, diffusely distributed shipments of Moderna vaccine.
I know some people are anti- vaccine, but this is the most encouraging topic ALL OF A SUDDEN!!!

IF you want your vaccine series, please register with your health department or other department which is handling the vaccines in your area. In NJ, the state is handling the appointments.
In Texas, it's the counties, even though MANY counties in Texas do not have a Department of Public Health for that county. ( We have so many counties, it makes sense to me).

Make the call, possibly save your own life. We know vaccines do save lives, but this one requires we still take COVID precautions. Make sure that when you enter the vaccination areas ( there are likely to be several to many stations to go through) that you assess the distancing. Is it 6 feet or more? If not, LEAVE.
You can contract COVID-19 while waiting for your own vaccine if the distancing is not clearly marked.

I was among a handful of people in a HS Gymnasium, so massive building, few people. Police officers in uniform were present in the 15 station vaccination area which was in a separate room with glass partitions.

WHY do you think I didn't make a HUGE fuss about the mistake made with my vaccine? The big young policeman standing just on the other side of the glass was an effective reason to just roll with it.

I know one thing, if I was still working in nursing and that paramedic needed any medical attention from an RN and I was around, I'd make his day so unpleasant, he'd be in tears, too. I will never forget how this was swept under the rug and I was just told " Sorry".

I'm still so upset I couldn't eat dinner at all. It's REALLY not good to hold these things in, y'all. Don't go postal, but make yourself heard and seen, because I didn't do all I could- BIG policeman!!

My husband was standing almost over me and had a clear view of my arm, which was near him. He has been busy with work things since we returned home.

I asked him just now if he thinks I got close to half the vaccine dose, and he said " Oh, yes, there was just a little leakage. You got most of what was in the syringe".

He's probably trying to calm me down and also get me to hush about it, LOL, but I REALLY hope he's right!!!
I can see where his perspective might be different than mine.

I've decided that IF I have a biologic response to what I received ( arm soreness, slightly elevated temp, possibly headache or muscle pain) then that's a clear sign I am having a positive response, so I did get enough of the vaccine solution injected into my arm. I am really hoping!!

I am sorry that happened to you-- I would probably freak out--- since i got my first shot this afternoon I am getting body aches, arm soreness etc. Taking some Tylenol.
If you don't get aches and so forth it doesn't mean the vaccine isn't working. My husband had both shots (Pfizer) and he had no aches at all, not even arm soreness.

Well, it seems to me that the US ( and other countries are represented here as well) are getting huge, diffusely distributed shipments of Moderna vaccine.
I know some people are anti- vaccine, but this is the most encouraging topic ALL OF A SUDDEN!!!

IF you want your vaccine series, please register with your health department or other department which is handling the vaccines in your area. In NJ, the state is handling the appointments.
In Texas, it's the counties, even though MANY counties in Texas do not have a Department of Public Health for that county. ( We have so many counties, it makes sense to me).

Make the call, possibly save your own life. We know vaccines do save lives, but this one requires we still take COVID precautions. Make sure that when you enter the vaccination areas ( there are likely to be several to many stations to go through) that you assess the distancing. Is it 6 feet or more? If not, LEAVE.
You can contract COVID-19 while waiting for your own vaccine if the distancing is not clearly marked.

I was among a handful of people in a HS Gymnasium, so massive building, few people. Police officers in uniform were present in the 15 station vaccination area which was in a separate room with glass partitions.

WHY do you think I didn't make a HUGE fuss about the mistake made with my vaccine? The big young policeman standing just on the other side of the glass was an effective reason to just roll with it.

I know one thing, if I was still working in nursing and that paramedic needed any medical attention from an RN and I was around, I'd make his day so unpleasant, he'd be in tears, too. I will never forget how this was swept under the rug and I was just told " Sorry".

I'm still so upset I couldn't eat dinner at all. It's REALLY not good to hold these things in, y'all. Don't go postal, but make yourself heard and seen, because I didn't do all I could- BIG policeman!!
What a mess...a dilemma for you to be sure. I understand why you are so upset.

Do you have any follow-up since getting the vaccine? Do you have a date for the second shot? I'm in NJ, and yes the state handles appointments, but also individual counties and departments of health do as well. That's how I scheduled mine.

There was a daily check-in for me the first 7 days after my first shot and then weekly. My most recent was today as I'm at 4 weeks now and getting second shot tomorrow. The questions involve symptoms, exposure, etc and there is a way to contact CDC with questions...or they may contact me if I answer questions in a certain way.

When getting my first dose, I scanned a bar code into my phone so follow-up could be done. Do you have that? Is there a way you can explain your situation, that you're not sure you had enough of the first dose? The way things are being monitored, I'd think someone would want to have your info.

What a mess...a dilemma for you to be sure. I understand why you are so upset.

Do you have any follow-up since getting the vaccine? Do you have a date for the second shot? I'm in NJ, and yes the state handles appointments, but also individual counties and departments of health do as well. That's how I scheduled mine.

There was a daily check-in for me the first 7 days after my first shot and then weekly. My most recent was today as I'm at 4 weeks now and getting second shot tomorrow. The questions involve symptoms, exposure, etc and there is a way to contact CDC with questions...or they may contact me if I answer questions in a certain way.

When getting my first dose, I scanned a bar code into my phone so follow-up could be done. Do you have that? Is there a way you can explain your situation, that you're not sure you had enough of the first dose? The way things are being monitored, I'd think someone would want to have your info.

I do have some literature from the CDC, a color page handout of some sort and there may be a code for my iPhone.

It sounds like NJ really has a great vaccination program up and running with great rechecks. I bet you'd have gotten a " redo" if half of your vaccine leaked out on your arm! :)

I'm going to look more into things tomorrow. I just haven't been up to doing so today. Since I retired, I feel like I relegated myself to " Misc. lady in the corner" status, which really stinks. LOTS of self- recrimination that I didn't speak up for myself like I usually do, but who knew this would be run like a freaking police state operation? Uniformed cops standing around anywhere with the paramedics.

They should have had RNs giving the injections!!! I will stand by that opinion no matter who questions or challenges me on it. We know how to give Epinephrine as well, and we have the license and salary a Paramedic can't come close to. If I could just have been more effective, asked to see the supervisor, asked to speak to the regional or state director... I did nothing except disagree and almost cry, which I hate.

I am sorry that happened to you-- I would probably freak out--- since i got my first shot this afternoon I am getting body aches, arm soreness etc. Taking some Tylenol.
If you don't get aches and so forth it doesn't mean the vaccine isn't working. My husband had both shots (Pfizer) and he had no aches at all, not even arm soreness.
I don't want to " undo" anything you might have been told personally, but the latest research into vaccine efficacy states that the body's natural immune response should not be reduced or modified by any of the anti-inflammatory medications. Tylenol, since it reduces mild to moderate fever, fits into the " modifying natural body response" category.

I am saying this only as a consumer who has read the available articles. I do not know if it's OK to take Tylenol like we did for many years, or if it does reduce the body's immune response.
There may be conflicting reports/ opinions on this.. not trying to get any conflict started, and do not want anyone to hurt at all, either. Fever and body aches hurt, and I'm sorry.
I'm also sorry that I'm having 000 anything. Nothing. Nada. I used to get so sick after vaccines, you know, the ones where I got the correct dosage when the proper technique was used? I'd give $500 for a mild fever and body aches, no questions asked tonight.

@SeekingJana, I think you did all you could in the situation you found yourself in

It's concerning that the county person contacted would not authorize another vaccination, yet provided you no rationale to support that decision

I think it was wise of you to contact your primary care provider, regardless of how they respond, still it was the right move

I think I would also contact the director of your state's department of health, to make your experience known

Re: CDC
I'm not saying you will get a satisfactory response by contacting them, but I think it's important that they know your experience

"If you are a healthcare provider with an urgent inquiry, or a member of the general public with an urgent information need, please call 800-CDC-INFO (800-232-4636) for timely assistance."

Contact CDC-INFO
Contact CDC-INFO

These are just my thoughts

I don't want to " undo" anything you might have been told personally, but the latest research into vaccine efficacy states that the body's natural immune response should not be reduced or modified by any of the anti-inflammatory medications. Tylenol, since it reduces mild to moderate fever, fits into the " modifying natural body response" category.

I am saying this only as a consumer who has read the available articles. I do not know if it's OK to take Tylenol like we did for many years, or if it does reduce the body's immune response.
There may be conflicting reports/ opinions on this.. not trying to get any conflict started, and do not want anyone to hurt at all, either. Fever and body aches hurt, and I'm sorry.
I'm also sorry that I'm having 000 anything. Nothing. Nada. I used to get so sick after vaccines, you know, the ones where I got the correct dosage when the proper technique was used? I'd give $500 for a mild fever and body aches, no questions asked tonight.
One point that may help calm you a bit - I had the flu shot in October and had all the classic symptoms after. However, after my first Moderna shot in January, I had nothing but a sore arm for half a day. So...don't put too much worry into that. (Not sure which type you were given; Pfizer has been noted to have less side effects than Moderna.)

I also agree that CDC and local Dept of Health should be informed. Check for that bar code in your paper work too. I can't imagine your state is not also following up on vaccine recipients. It's how vaccine effectiveness to the public continues to be monitored. You should at least be a statistic to watch.

Take care.

I did a little research on line where it stated it was acceptable to take Tylenol- I only took one pill anyway--- I appreciate your concerns about this------ As I said my husband did not have any body aches after either shot and I know others who didn't have that either, so if you don't have that, I don't think it means the vaccine isn't working, but I understand after what happened to you, your concern about that----Do you have a physician you can talk to about this situation?

I forgot to add to my story yesterday when i got the first shot, there were quite a few people there to get the shot: There was not enough social distancing though everyone did wear a mask. The first was a large waiting room with about 20 people waiting. that was not too bad but when waiting after getting the vaccine in a room for 20 minutes, I think there were too many people a tad too close to each other. I was kind of surprised since this was a hospital setting. I have not been in a room with that many people since the pandemic started.

I did a little research on line where it stated it was acceptable to take Tylenol- I only took one pill anyway--- I appreciate your concerns about this------ As I said my husband did not have any body aches after either shot and I know others who didn't have that either, so if you don't have that, I don't think it means the vaccine isn't working, but I understand after what happened to you, your concern about that----Do you have a physician you can talk to about this situation?

I called my doctor's office and their response was " We don't give COVID vaccines. We are not responsible for what happened elsewhere. We have no openings for you this week." I " almost hate" my doctor and his staff for things just like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Curious.tea