Coronavirus Vaccine: Would you/did you get it?

If you were offered the Pfizer vaccine in the next 30 days would you take it?

• Yes

Votes: 42 62.7%
  • No

Votes: 20 29.9%
  • Maybe

Votes: 5 7.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
My husband and I got our first shot of Moderna on Tuesday. Yesterday we both had sore arms but I felt more sluggish and tired than him.
This morning I feel less side effects. We go for our 2nd shot at the end of next month.

It took just a little over 1/2 hour for the entire shot process, including the 15 minute observation after the shot.

We were lucky enough to find a local school administering the shot in our County and did not need to go to the mega site in Atlantic City. In NJ, it’s a rat race trying to book appointments, that process gave me old school Ticketmaster vibes, trying for hard to get concert tickets!

Husband is a medical worker who got the Moderna vaccine. After the second shot he had body aches and fatigue for about a day. Same thing happens to babies who are vaccinated, so he was actually happy to have had an immune response confirming its effectiveness. I am teaching an overcrowded in person classroom, but teachers are not eligible in Florida yet. As soon as it’s available, I would get the Moderna also. MOO

I did a little research on line where it stated it was acceptable to take Tylenol- I only took one pill anyway--- I appreciate your concerns about this------ As I said my husband did not have any body aches after either shot and I know others who didn't have that either, so if you don't have that, I don't think it means the vaccine isn't working, but I understand after what happened to you, your concern about that----Do you have a physician you can talk to about this situation?

I called my doctor's office and their response was " We don't give COVID vaccines. We are not responsible for what happened elsewhere. We have no openings for you this week." I " almost hate" my doctor and his staff for things just like this.
What a mess...a dilemma for you to be sure. I understand why you are so upset.

Do you have any follow-up since getting the vaccine? Do you have a date for the second shot? I'm in NJ, and yes the state handles appointments, but also individual counties and departments of health do as well. That's how I scheduled mine.

There was a daily check-in for me the first 7 days after my first shot and then weekly. My most recent was today as I'm at 4 weeks now and getting second shot tomorrow. The questions involve symptoms, exposure, etc and there is a way to contact CDC with questions...or they may contact me if I answer questions in a certain way.

When getting my first dose, I scanned a bar code into my phone so follow-up could be done. Do you have that? Is there a way you can explain your situation, that you're not sure you had enough of the first dose? The way things are being monitored, I'd think someone would want to have your info.

I scanned in the v-check thing from the CDC. Filled out the form.

My second appointment is 3/ 24, at the same place.

I tried to self- report an adverse event to the HHS, and it asked specific questions about the administering person, doctor responsible, even a phone number for the location, and I cannot answer those questions.

I do not have anyone's name. I do not have any phone number or way to contact anyone there. I would not even be let in without an appointment again, and how do you get one without a phone number to call to discuss the total SNAFU?

My husband and I got our first shot of Moderna on Tuesday. Yesterday we both had sore arms but I felt more sluggish and tired than him.
This morning I feel less side effects. We go for our 2nd shot at the end of next month.

It took just a little over 1/2 hour for the entire shot process, including the 15 minute observation after the shot.

We were lucky enough to find a local school administering the shot in our County and did not need to go to the mega site in Atlantic City. In NJ, it’s a rat race trying to book appointments, that process gave me old school Ticketmaster vibes, trying for hard to get concert tickets!

I have a much older adult friend online who has lived in NJ for all her life, and she was " gung ho" about getting the vaccine when we last chatted. She is an elderly fragile adult, from what she's said over the years, and has a chronic resp. disease, and possibly other diseases.

When I emailed her to tell her I was going to get my vaccine the next day at our local HS ISD building ( turns out it was the gymnasium, likely an old one- I wasn't there to critique), she said " Well, I signed up through the state of New Jersey, but I'm in NO hurry because I'm not going here or there or just anywhere for the vaccine." ( Like they make house calls?)
Then, this lady who was almost frantic for a vaccine to be developed for many months said " I am also registered with 2 local pharmacies I like". I did tell her that's a huge long shot right now, and that I believed my 6 highway miles to travel were totally reasonable. ( not about to tell her about the adverse event with my vaccination).

My question is: What happens to people when the vaccine becomes a likely reality ( I told her she could be called as early as this week as there was a massive shipment of both brands on the market currently, and not an abstract being produced and shipped sometime in the future?

Is my friend perhaps suddenly afraid that she'll have one of those really severe reactions reported at first, or that she'll have to leave her house ( with her able- bodied husband) and drag her portable oxygen regenerator along with her, or meet with strangers there to help her, or what?
OR, maybe she's jealous that someone much younger, without her COPD, and with medical/ nursing knowledge is getting a vaccine before her?

I almost feel like telling her that if she wants to stay home where she's comfortable and be safe there, then she can. No one has to take the vaccine, and I'd never push her or anyone. Also, in my heart of hearts, I believe we're just now getting the first of many COVID vaccines to come!!

As a psychologist with NO experience with this sort of fear and trepidation after a friend seemed so absolutely frantic to get the vaccine when it was in the development stage, I'm trying to figure out the psychodynamics.
Maybe she just wanted to argue with me since I suggested she would get a vaccine soon? ( The " I'm in no hurry" statement from her).

Last edited:
I called my doctor's office and their response was " We don't give COVID vaccines. We are not responsible for what happened elsewhere. We have no openings for you this week." I " almost hate" my doctor and his staff for things just like this.

I tried to self- report an adverse event to the HHS, and it asked specific questions about the administering person, doctor responsible, even a phone number for the location, and I cannot answer those questions.

I do not have anyone's name. I do not have any phone number or way to contact anyone there. I would not even be let in without an appointment again, and how do you get one without a phone number to call to discuss the total SNAFU?

Good grief: your doctor's staff sound like a bunch of idiots (sorry)-- With respect to resporting to HHS- is this verbal report or a form? Can you put in the info you do have( like who sponsored the vaccinations)- such as blah blah Hospital and indicate you do not know the person responsible for giving the vaccine ( I mean who would know that? noone)---or the phone number--- perhaps you can write on the form (or give a verbal report) of the information you do have. Don't know if that is possible, just wondering if it is.

I have a much older adult friend online and she was " gung ho" about getting the vaccine when we last chatted. She is an elderly fragile adult and has a chronic resp. disease, and possibly other diseases.

When I emailed her to tell her I was going to get my vaccine the next day at our local HS ISD building ( turns out it was the gymnasium, likely an old one- I wasn't there to critique), she said " Well, I signed up through the state, but I'm in NO hurry because I'm not going here or there for the vaccine." ( Like they make house calls?)
Then, this lady who was almost frantic for a vaccine to be developed for many months said " I am also registered in line with 2 local pharmacies I like". I did tell her that's a huge long shot right now, and that I believed my 6 highway miles to travel were totally reasonable. ( not about to tell her about the adverse event with my vaccination).

My question is: What happens to people when the vaccine becomes a likely reality ( I told her she could be called as early as this week as there was a massive shipment of both brands on the market currently, and not an abstract being produced and shipped sometime in the future?

Is my friend perhaps suddenly afraid that she'll have one of those really severe reactions reported at first, or that she'll have to leave her house and drag her oxygen regenerator along with her, or meet with strangers there to help her, or what?
OR, maybe she's jealous that someone much younger, without her COPD, and with medical/ nursing knowledge is getting a vaccine before her?

I almost feel like telling her that if she wants to stay home where she's comfortable and be safe there, then she can. No one has to take the vaccine, and I'd never push her or anyone.
As a psychologist with NO experience with this sort of fear and trepidation after being so absolutely frantic to get the vaccine, I'm trying to figure out the psychodynamics.
Maybe she just wanted to argue with me since I suggested she would get a vaccine soon? ( The " I'm in no hurry" statement from her).

Not knowing the woman it is hard to know her reluctance: I would say she is probably afraid of the vaccine: I know I was- I was terrified and even though I registered with several places, I was secretly happy I wasn't being called: then last week the hospital called and said I should make an appt for 2/24-- I forced myself to do it because I realize the vaccine is the only way out of this horror. Maybe some people don't realize that: I have a friend who said she is waiting- I am like, what are you waiting for? she talks about how the vaccine was rushed (it was)-- I told her-- do you understand the vaccine is the only way out of this horror? this virus is not going away anytime soon. If you don't get it you will have to stay in the house and wear a mask --as older people we are very vulnerable to dying or getting so sick you would wish you were dead. I don't think my speech changed her mind LOL

Good grief: your doctor's staff sound like a bunch of idiots (sorry)-- With respect to resporting to HHS- is this verbal report or a form? Can you put in the info you do have( like who sponsored the vaccinations)- such as blah blah Hospital and indicate you do not know the person responsible for giving the vaccine ( I mean who would know that? noone)---or the phone number--- perhaps you can write on the form (or give a verbal report) of the information you do have. Don't know if that is possible, just wondering if it is.

As far as I know, the Texas Dept. of Public Health ( a division of HHS) is in charge. I didn't receive any identifying info except the lot number of my vaccine vial, and the school address for the second vaccine on a little card.

I didn't see anything that gave out any info except about the vaccine itself, and the vsafe program the CDC has for smartphone check- ins.

I need to get a new doctor in a larger town. Hubby and I need to talk about this today. ( I know he'll leave it up to me. It's so not cool to " doctor shop".)

Not knowing the woman it is hard to know her reluctance: I would say she is probably afraid of the vaccine: I know I was- I was terrified and even though I registered with several places, I was secretly happy I wasn't being called: then last week the hospital called and said I should make an appt for 2/24-- I forced myself to do it because I realize the vaccine is the only way out of this horror. Maybe some people don't realize that: I have a friend who said she is waiting- I am like, what are you waiting for? she talks about how the vaccine was rushed (it was)-- I told her-- do you understand the vaccine is the only way out of this horror? this virus is not going away anytime soon. If you don't get it you will have to stay in the house and wear a mask --as older people we are very vulnerable to dying or getting so sick you would wish you were dead. I don't think my speech changed her mind LOL

I don't want to give the impression that I'm young and healthy. I'm just into my 60's, and COVID left me with respiratory system damage very like Asthma. I believe it's permanent.
The steroids I've had to take to keep the coughing and wheezing down so I can sleep at some point in a 24 hour cycle have put on about 60 pounds.
I can't tolerate the usual bronchodilators or inhalers. My heart rate goes up so high I can't even count it. My finger Pulse Oximeter gives me a reading of over 200. ( Fetal heart rates are about 120-160 as a comparison and most of us know how fast they are).

So, I think everyone gets older if we're lucky, and we find comfort in knowing we don't have to compete for attention, or love, or be dressed to the nines like movie stars ( which I did in my 20's and 30's because most people who weren't Goths did the same thing. :))
I had to have all the trappings of youth, and it was so stressful, but we learn to de-stress as we settle into a comfortable life, I believe. I don't want for a thing, and thank God for his blessings and love every day.

I am finding the joy and beauty in being home instead of in the workplace, and with my husband at this time. He was so sweet to me yesterday as we were hustled around the perimeter of a HS gym that there are no words. He wasn't for a long time, but now, he's the love of my life in a very comfortable and companionable way. He's an introvert who extends himself to do so many things for me this past 12 months.

I was thinking I'd finally get my hair colored and trimmed after this long a time indoors, but since I'm not at all sure my vaccine was sufficient, I do not plan to get out until after my second vaccine.
IF I didn't fully believe we would be getting booster vaccines in the future for variants of COVID, I'd be more upset, but it's just an exercise in futility with as little identifying info as I was given from the place of administration.

I don't want to give the impression that I'm young and healthy. I'm just into my 60's, and COVID left me with respiratory system damage very like Asthma. I believe it's permanent.
The steroids I've had to take to keep the coughing and wheezing down so I can sleep at some point in a 24 hour cycle have put on about 60 pounds.
I can't tolerate the usual bronchodilators or inhalers. My heart rate goes up so high I can't even count it. My finger Pulse Oximeter gives me a reading of over 200. ( Fetal heart rates are about 120-160 as a comparison and most of us know how fast they are).

So, I think everyone gets older if we're lucky, and we find comfort in knowing we don't have to compete for attention, or love, or be dressed to the nines like movie stars ( which I did in my 20's and 30's because most people who weren't Goths did the same thing. :))
I had to have all the trappings of youth, and it was so stressful, but we learn to de-stress as we settle into a comfortable life, I believe. I don't want for a thing, and thank God for his blessings and love every day.

I am finding the joy and beauty in being home instead of in the workplace, and with my husband at this time. He was so sweet to me yesterday as we were hustled around the perimeter of a HS gym that there are no words. He wasn't for a long time, but now, he's the love of my life in a very comfortable and companionable way. He's an introvert who extends himself to do so many things for me this past 12 months.

I was thinking I'd finally get my hair colored and trimmed after this long a time indoors, but since I'm not at all sure my vaccine was sufficient, I do not plan to get out until after my second vaccine.
IF I didn't fully believe we would be getting booster vaccines in the future for variants of COVID, I'd be more upset, but it's just an exercise in futility with as little identifying info as I was given from the place of administration.

I didn't get the impression you were young and healthy- I have asthma too- I was diagnosed in my 40's after years of coughing that went undiagnosed for several years.
I am concerned when you say your heart rate goes to 200-- I have atrial fibrillation and was hospitalized in 2017- my heart rate went to 188 and was put on meds to bring it down. Every now and then my heart rates increases to 113 and when that happens I feel terrible until it comes down- but 200? that is really high. What I do (read this somewhere and it seems to work) is that cold water or jumping in a cold shower can bring down your heart rate. What I do is pour really cold water on my hands, arms and chest and splash cold water on my face and it seems to really work to bring my heart rate down. Take care of yourself and stay safe.

I didn't get the impression you were young and healthy- I have asthma too- I was diagnosed in my 40's after years of coughing that went undiagnosed for several years.
I am concerned when you say your heart rate goes to 200-- I have atrial fibrillation and was hospitalized in 2017- my heart rate went to 188 and was put on meds to bring it down.
Snipped for brevity.

Thanks for caring. I'd wonder if someone had a hidden heart problem too. I could have, any of us could have a hidden heart issue, but I don't have A. Fib. ( I've had heart caths. and echocardiograms.) I have an almost complete intolerance to the many bronchodilators like inhalers, oral meds, nebulizer treatments which would really help my wheezing and lung capacity.

I found out about this intolerance when I was in my 30's ( so almost half my life ago) when I had a very atypical severe pneumonia and was a patient in the Level One Trauma Center hospital I mentioned earlier. I was so very ill that I was too out of it to cooperate well with an O2 mask, so they were doing frequent breathing treatments. I'd do just fine until they added Albuterol or another med, then my cardiac monitor would go into tachycardia that would likely cause great harm if allowed to continue ( my heart was racing).
The intolerance has never improved. It's not that unusual. IF I had something like I did last year where I coughed all the time and wheezed most of the time all year long, I'd request a pulmonologist consultation now instead of being so grateful that steroids clear it up with an injection periodically. I wouldn't keep waiting for it to get better. It's now chronic lung damage from COVID. ( The pneumonia I likely contracted in the hospital 30 years ago did clear up just fine with a cocktail of IV antibiotics in about a week, and there was no lung damage until last year's COVID complications).

BTW, what you are doing with the cold water is to perform a modified Valsalva maneuver, and some of it sounds like a modified deep diving reflex. Both slow heart rates when they work correctly.
The most effective ( but most uncomfortable) is to hold your breath and stick your face into a basin of cold water. We used to do that with people having episodes of A. Fib with a fast ventricular response before there were great meds. to control it.

Snipped for brevity.

Thanks for caring. I'd wonder if someone had a hidden heart problem too. I could have, any of us could have a hidden heart issue, but I don't have A. Fib. ( I've had heart caths. and echocardiograms.) I have an almost complete intolerance to the many bronchodilators like inhalers, oral meds, nebulizer treatments which would really help my wheezing and lung capacity.

I found out about this intolerance when I was in my 30's ( so almost half my life ago) when I had a very atypical severe pneumonia and was a patient in the Level One Trauma Center hospital I mentioned earlier. I was so very ill that I was too out of it to cooperate well with an O2 mask, so they were doing frequent breathing treatments. I'd do just fine until they added Albuterol or another med, then my cardiac monitor would go into tachycardia that would likely cause great harm if allowed to continue ( my heart was racing).
The intolerance has never improved. It's not that unusual. IF I had something like I did last year where I coughed all the time and wheezed most of the time all year long, I'd request a pulmonologist consultation now instead of being so grateful that steroids clear it up with an injection periodically. I wouldn't keep waiting for it to get better. It's now chronic lung damage from COVID. ( The pneumonia I likely contracted in the hospital 30 years ago did clear up just fine with a cocktail of IV antibiotics in about a week, and there was no lung damage until last year's COVID complications).

BTW, what you are doing with the cold water is to perform a modified Valsalva maneuver, and some of it sounds like a modified deep diving reflex. Both slow heart rates when they work correctly.
The most effective ( but most uncomfortable) is to hold your breath and stick your face into a basin of cold water. We used to do that with people having episodes of A. Fib with a fast ventricular response before there were great meds. to control it.

Yeah, I read about sticking in your face in a basin of cold water- think I will pass on that one LOL- I wasn't aware you had experienced Covid-- Were you hospitalized? I think I read that people who have had Covid may only need one shot of the Pfizer vaccine. Don't know if that is true or a rumor though. You certainly have been through a lot---- It is too bad you cannot take those meds like Albuterol to help you with your asthma- I try not to use them too often because I know they cause increased heart rate. Before I was diagnosed with asthma I coughed so much I couldn't even go out in public- it took a few years before I was properly diagnosed and then I needed to be on oral steroids off and on for at least a couple years. Now I take the inhaled steroid and it is enough to control the problem.

Awesome for you. Happy for you both.

I just got my second Moderna this morning. Feel great so far. Will keep posted.

I too had an easy in& out experience in a small county college setting. Same as my first dose.

DH had longer wait at a mega site (Rowan College) where there were many more waiting. Luckily it was a nice warm day yesterday as he waited outside during parts of it.

Awesome for you. Happy for you both.

I just got my second Moderna this morning. Feel great so far. Will keep posted.

I too had an easy in& out experience in a small county college setting. Same as my first dose.

DH had longer wait at a mega site (Rowan College) where there were many more waiting. Luckily it was a nice warm day yesterday as he waited outside during parts of it.

We were not thrilled about having appointments on separate days in Atlantic City not only because it is a massive mega site but we would have to travel there and back four times as we did not get an appointment together on the same day, or even in the same month.

Luckily Ocean County health department uploaded massive local appointments for this week and we were able to book together and I cancelled the others.

My 20 something daughter in health care received the 2nd shot of Modena and had chills and fever for 24 hours, but my 91 year old FIL had no severe side effects after the second dosage.

We were not thrilled about having appointments on separate days in Atlantic City not only because it is a massive mega site but we would have to travel there and back four times as we did not get an appointment together on the same day, or even in the same month.

Luckily Ocean County health department uploaded massive local appointments for this week and we were able to book together and I cancelled the others.

My 20 something daughter in health care received the 2nd shot of Modena and had chills and fever for 24 hours, but my 91 year old FIL had no severe side effects after the second dosage.
I hear ya. I had an original appointment in Camden County, not that far, but far enough. I was thrilled myself to get one in Salem County, where there aren't many people. :) I had to work for it - like scoring a new IPhone when they were that big a deal, or tickets (as you mentioned) to a popular concert.

I don't know what to expect, to be honest. SIL's parents had opposite reactions. His mom had no symptoms, while his dad, who's a doctor, had severe symptoms for a couple days. T-minus 5 hours since I had my shot and so far so good. Even just returned from a long walk in the park on this lovely sunshine-y day.

DH did just call to tell me he is feeling tired and aching, like when he first started to have symptoms from getting the actual virus. His reactions are to first dose of Pfizer. So different, as is the virus itself. He and I can be poster kids for Moderna vs Pfizer.

Take care.

You have a second appointment at least, right? Say something then. Ask if you can count that as your first shot and schedule another one. Probably a long shot, but at least you can get their info at that time. Take names and numbers.

Also, if you are able to donate blood, American Red Cross tests all donations for antibodies. Initially it was to see if a person had had the virus previously. But I imagine it would show up as well if the vaccine produced them. Just a thought and a way to be proactive, which I believe helps one's mind relax a bit. .

You have a second appointment at least, right? Say something then. Ask if you can count that as your first shot and schedule another one. Probably a long shot, but at least you can get their info at that time. Take names and numbers.

Also, if you are able to donate blood, American Red Cross tests all donations for antibodies. Initially it was to see if a person had had the virus previously. But I imagine it would show up as well if the vaccine produced them. Just a thought and a way to be proactive, which I believe helps one's mind relax a bit. .

Yes, I have an appointment for 2nd vaccine on 3/24.
Same place.

I actually don't have large enough veins to be a successful blood donor. I used to donate regularly, but can't now.

I don't think I probably should worry. My arm is very sore today, and it's a diffuse soreness in the upper arm area, not just where the needle was. I believe this is indicative of a positive biological response, and I'm feeling more optimistic. No fever or aches, just a really sore arm. :)

Back to being happy and feeling optimistic. :) We are all going to do the best we can to be healthy and stay healthy, and happiness is a huge part of our overall well-being.

My upper arm is so sore, if someone shouted " Hold up" I'd have to use my other arm to lift the vaccinated one LOLOL.

I couldn't be happier, as I believe this is a sign that I got just enough of the vaccine. I don't have the low fever and aches I expected to have, but am glad.
Sometimes, I worry about things that turn out just fine.

I think it's cool that we both got to go to a local area school facility for our vaccines. Mine had every single place to walk, and 6 ft. intervals marked with blue tape. They were exceptionally organized and everything was very open with it being a gymnasium. They were thoughtful to provide us with folding chairs placed at 6 ft. intervals on the gym floor for the 15 minute rest period as most of the people whom I saw aren't spring chickens, including me.
My husband made his first appointment after seeing what to expect. I think people should be able to see what goes on from step to step so maybe they won't be so nervous. I wasn't nervous, I was so glad to be there, finally.
I was proud of DH, as he goes out for groceries and takeout while I hibernate.

My upper arm is so sore, if someone shouted " Hold up" I'd have to use my other arm to lift the vaccinated one LOLOL.

I couldn't be happier, as I believe this is a sign that I got just enough of the vaccine. I don't have the low fever and aches I expected to have, but am glad.

I think it's cool that we both got to go to a local area school facility for our vaccines. Mine had every single place to walk, and 6 ft. intervals marked with blue tape. They were exceptionally organized and everything was very open with it being a gymnasium. They were thoughtful to provide us with folding chairs placed at 6 ft. intervals on the gym floor for the 15 minute rest period as most of the people whom I saw aren't spring chickens, including me.
My husband made his first appointment after seeing what to expect. I think people should be able to see what goes on from step to step so maybe they won't be so nervous. I wasn't nervous, I was so glad to be there, finally.
Good for you. Wishing you much happiness. "Be careful how you are talking to yourself because you are listening. " :)

Ironically I am also happy to be having symptoms. Signs that it's working. I have a low-grade fever (99.6) at the moment, which is higher for me than it seems as I'm normally between 96-97. Also chills...I can't seem to get warm. I feel achy too, but I did take a 15-mile bike ride yesterday as the temps hit 60 here and the snow is melting. I have an e-bike, so not that impressive, even though I pedal a lot of the time. It was the first time on the bike since maybe late November?

Glad you're feeling better. Your insight is spot on.

Sounds like you are feeling much better since your shot. That is good. I was disappointed where I had the vaccine (medical center) that they didn't space people far enough apart while we were waiting 15 min after the injection. Kind of a small room and too many patients. I haven't been in a room with that many people since before the pandemic began.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa