TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris County, Jan 2019 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
they bought the house for $190K in 2016. So mid 20s. Not right out of high school. $190k is nothing for a house these days. If they were first time hone buyers they probably didn’t have to make a huge down payment. Idk how old you are, but I think you’re underestimating the potential of many millennials. By 28, I was making more money than my mom. I see no reason why a mid 20s couple couldn’t afford a mortgage on a $190k house.

wow I didn't realize it was so cheap
yeah I definitely see why they bought that house at that price

there were multiple posts questioning how Liz and SB afford their home and (apparently lavish?) lifestyle. Some speculated maybe SB didn’t pay someone that did flooring work for him, that Liz and/or SB borrowed money from people, “crushing debt can be a motive for murder or bring a dangerous element of people into your life” etc

I do think crushing debt is something to take into consideration. Mortgage, car loans, vacations, cosplay, it’s easy to get in over your head.

i don’t however think they borrowed money from unsavory people.

FYI . I’m sure I read in the beginning of the case that S did flooring job with his father .

Yes, the person who started the thread and said she worked with EB.

If SB is self employed, he may have left the house at different times each day...depending on the work schedule. That’s pretty interesting as to what information the killer had. I wonder if it’s just SB and his Dad...or do they employ others?

As to the personal finances, debt, etc, LE will have looked into that. IMO...I would think they would also look into the books of the this business SB had with his Dad, even if they had to get a subpoena. Unpleasant but part of any investigation that looks like a murder for hire.

While checking finances, spending habits, and debt may seem, to some, insulting to the victim, if it leads to justice for her tragic death, IMO that’s more important and shows more compassion for the loss of her life.

I am thinking the killer sat and waited for the husband to go by before continuing on to the house. I am also thinking that with technology what it is today, they should be able to find video surveillance from businesses along the route that the truck took.

I don't think the price of their home has much to do with anything. Housing prices are going up but back then $200k for a home in a development was pretty average. My family member bought her first brand new home down closer to Galveston around that time and she paid $165k. TX was cheaper then. Now many out of state people are moving to TX so prices are going up. If Elizabeth and her husband had a big mortgage, lots of debt, and a very expensive home, I'd look closer at that as a motive ($$$$$.) Their home seems in line with a young couple, both employed, just starting their married lives and planning ahead for a family. Makes me sad just to think about it. IMHO.

$190,000 Mortgage Loans for 30 years. Monthly Payments Calculator

How long had they been married before they bought the house? Enough time to save at least 10% down payment?

Heck, that would have been $19,000.

Plus if they didn’t put down 20% - PMI is required. Insurance and taxes would have been escrowed. I don’t know what tax appraisal district they were in - but some counties aren’t cheap to live in.

What was the make/model/age of the vehicles they owned?

Plus utilities. And it’s hot (like 100 degrees and high humidity) for at least 4-5 months so the HVAC/cooling bill would have been high those months.

How long had Liz worked at Rosen? Did she work in a similar field prior?

I think someone wanted Liz permanently out of the picture whether for love, money or perceived threat.
JMO

I think someone wanted Liz permanently out of the picture whether for love, money or perceived threat.
JMO

RSBM I totally agree with the financial aspect potentially being the reason she was killed. But your last sentence is really what is important, there was a reason she was killed and if the motive can be found then the killer can be found.

If there is no evidence of an affair by Liz or Sergio, I wonder if someone they knew had fallen in love with one of them? It seems more likely that Liz was killed to get her out of the way so in the scenario I’m picturing someone falls in love with Sergio, and they kill Liz so he’s back on the market.

I'm sti
RSBM I totally agree with the financial aspect potentially being the reason she was killed. But your last sentence is really what is important, there was a reason she was killed and if the motive can be found then the killer can be found.

If there is no evidence of an affair by Liz or Sergio, I wonder if someone they knew had fallen in love with one of them? It seems more likely that Liz was killed to get her out of the way so in the scenario I’m picturing someone falls in love with Sergio, and they kill Liz so he’s back on the market.
I don't know. The person seems so angry, multiple shots, one in the mouth? Seems more than wanting her "out of the way." It seems like animosity.

I'm sti

I don't know. The person seems so angry, multiple shots, one in the mouth? Seems more than wanting her "out of the way." It seems like animosity.

That is what is all so confusing to me, she was shot multiple times, the killer drives back by presumably to verify she’s dead but she didn’t actually die until the next day. So the killer must have been super nervous that entire day worried that she would somehow survive.

I wonder how long EB was outside setting up before SB left? The murder happened so quickly after he left, and she had a lot of stuff out to sell. I don’t think they’d leave those things out all night.

Was SB helping her for a bit? Was the killer watching the two of them? It really would have been pretty easy to surprise and kill them both. But SB was definitely not the target IMO.

If the killer was hired, IMO by now, accounts of all suspects would have been intensely reviewed by LE. I wonder if the subpoena that LE had great hope for...was to a business that would not produce their financials. Just a guess...

Of course, in past cases, there have been ways to pass money off the books to the hired killer. That’s a lot harder to prove. So much we don’t know...just guessing as usual.

Why are people acting like they lived in an expensive house? I live in Houston and that house is dirt cheap because it’s in the burbs. What sorts of jobs would make it more likely that someone could afford a measly 190k house? I don’t think their living situation is weird at all.

Why are people acting like they lived in an expensive house? I live in Houston and that house is dirt cheap because it’s in the burbs. What sorts of jobs would make it more likely that someone could afford a measly 190k house? I don’t think their living situation is weird at all.

We’re trying to find a motive. $190k house is doable if their income level was $65k or above (financial experts recommend 3 X annual income for home purchase price). What we don’t know is if they also had large car payments, large amounts of credit card debt, etc. It’s simply a discussion and speculation trying to figure out why someone would murder this lovely lady.

I will say most people in their 20s seem to have it together a lot more than I did when I was in my 20s so kudos to all you successful people out there.

We’re trying to find a motive. $190k house is doable if their income level was $65k or above (financial experts recommend 3 X annual income for home purchase price). What we don’t know is if they also had large car payments, large amounts of credit card debt, etc. It’s simply a discussion and speculation trying to figure out why someone would murder this lovely lady.

I will say most people in their 20s seem to have it together a lot more than I did when I was in my 20s so kudos to all you successful people out there.

combined I’m sure they made more than 65k. I know people with jobs of a similar pay grade and they have a house worth 450k. Plus the current worth that people are seeing does not mean they got a mortgage for that price. And a lot of parents help kids with a down payment.

I wonder how long EB was outside setting up before SB left? The murder happened so quickly after he left, and she had a lot of stuff out to sell. I don’t think they’d leave those things out all night.

Was SB helping her for a bit? Was the killer watching the two of them? It really would have been pretty easy to surprise and kill them both. But SB was definitely not the target IMO.

If the killer was hired, IMO by now, accounts of all suspects would have been intensely reviewed by LE. I wonder if the subpoena that LE had great hope for...was to a business that would not produce their financials. Just a guess...

Of course, in past cases, there have been ways to pass money off the books to the hired killer. That’s a lot harder to prove. So much we don’t know...just guessing as usual.

It was still dark the morning of Jan. 25, 2019, when Elizabeth Barraza and her husband Sergio were arranging items for a garage sale at their Houston home. They were planning a trip to Orlando, to celebrate their fifth wedding anniversary, just a few days away. Liz’s father, Bob Nuelle, was unemployed at the time and thought adding some things of his own to the sale might be a way to get some needed cash. The night before, he decided his time would be better spent looking for a job, so he didn’t make the trip to his daughter’s place that morning to help.

Sergio left for work about a quarter to seven, leaving his wife to continue setting up in the driveway. Three minutes later, a Nissan pickup pulled up.

In Houston, Crime Victims Finally Get Some Attention

This theory would eliminate SB and any number of people. LE would have long ago looked at their phone records and seen if a call came in around the early morning at the time the truck turned around and went back.
Doesn't matter. Burner phones exist and law enforcement can't identify who owns some of these phones. Criminals like to throw burner phones out onto the street after they use them. Other cars drive over them and smash them leaving the police with little evidence.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member