Found Deceased CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #14

fictionisbetter

Reaction score

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread is open again.

Many posts have been removed in response to the OP suggestion regarding undie pics for money.

Such speculation is not victim friendly, is distasteful, and there is nothing in MSM to support such discussion (and subsequent bickering).

We don't like to yell and we don't like issuing bans, but we are getting fed up with members not paying attention to WS rules and policies. ...

From a previous admonition of a previous admonition:

ADMIN NOTE:

Websleuths is VICTIM FRIENDLY.

From my admonition in a previous thread:

You may question what an individual says or does in MSM but you may NOT make accusations or insinuations that they are responsible for a crime unless they have been officially named a POI or suspect by law enforcement.

Members who continue to make accusations will receive a thread reply ban.

Zero tolerance.

Please "Like" this post to indicate that you have read it and that you understand it. Thread will re-open later on today.

If there is something you do not understand about the above, please contact any Mod or Admin and we will clarify further.

ADMIN REMINDER:

One of Websleuths' basic principles is that we do not make direct accusations against anyone who is not officially named a POI/suspect.

Posts bickering and debating over stereotyping, bikinis and beer have been removed.

Stop the veiled and not so veiled victim blaming directed at RT. It is in total violation of Websleuths Victim Friendly policy clearly stated in The Rules.

Is it really such a novel concept to consider that perhaps RT was stating a simple reality that when he last saw BT she was wearing a bikini and holding a beer?

Stop the victim blaming or some severe TOs will be issued.

Major cleanup was required in this thread as a result of non-approved social media.

All posts that were based on non-approved FB groups are considered rumor and have been removed, including reference to posts purported to be made by family members.

No social media support groups for Barbara have ever been approved by Websleuths. WS approved Missing Person Support groups are ones where family members are known to be part of the Admin or Moderating Team within that group. Other than MSM and LE, do not discuss info from social media unless you know that account has been approved for discussion by Websleuths. There is a reason WS has this requirement in place.

On another note, when someone asks for a link and the supporting link is a post at Websleuths, please provide the actual clickable link instead of a post number or page number. Post numbers get changed as posts are being removed by Moderators and not every WSer has their display settings set to the same number of posts per page.

By inserting a clickable link, it will take members to the specific post, regardless of page number or whether the original post number has changed. Please don’t make umpteen members and Moderators rummage through umpteen pages trying to find what you are talking about.

Please remember that no cause of death or manner of death has been released in Barbara's case, so none of us is in a position to state information as fact in that regard.

If there is MSM that states COD or MOD, please link it; otherwise it is your opinion and needs to be clearly noted as such.

Thanks.

The only loose thread for me in Barbara’s case is why she dropped off her dog that morning (acting upset or unhappy about something per interviews from the doggy day care) Did Barbaras dog usually go with them on short trips?
Why did she drop off her dog the day she goes missing?

The only loose thread for me in Barbara’s case is why she dropped off her dog that morning (acting upset or unhappy about something per interviews from the doggy day care) Did Barbaras dog usually go with them on short trips?
Why did she drop off her dog the day she goes missing?

Apparently she/they used that kennel before. My takeaway, it was normal for them to drop the dog off for whatever reason. Maybe the employee was used to seeing her and knew she seemed upset or they got it wrong.

Maybe she didn’t feel well that day, was impatient with the staff, annoyed with her husband, annoyed with the dog, hadn’t had a cup of coffee yet, etc. Some people think she was upset because her terrible husband wouldn’t let her bring the dog because the RV was new or he planned to kill her.

I think it’s possible the dog was dropped off because it was going to be a couple day camping trip, the temps were going to be very high and she/they thought it was safer for the dog not to go. Think the dog was also a young dog and maybe unruly for a couple day trip like this. I think the high heat temps was a contributing factor in BT’s death. IMO

I wonder why she wasn't found in the initial searches, if she was so nearby?
My thinking was that she was found the side where the RV was parked, which from memory, was not as extensively searched as the side where Barbara was last seen. e.g. she had managed to make it to and cross the road.

My thinking was that she was found the side where the RV was parked, which from memory, was not as extensively searched as the side where Barbara was last seen. e.g. she had managed to make it to and cross the road.
Strange that she would keep walking after crossing the road back to motorhome.

Last edited:
Strange that she would keep walking after crossing the road back to motorhome.

Maybe she couldn’t find the place where he hid the key. Maybe he forgot to hide the key, and it was in his pocket.

So, she arrives back there, can’t get in, and perhaps with her thoughts already muddled by heat exhaustion, she just decides she’ll take another walk, and make him wait for her, for a change.

Or, walks away from the motor home to find a secluded place for a bathroom break, and then, under the influence of a medical condition probably related to the heat, just keeps walking in the wrong direction.

All this just random speculation.

RT told us that they were walking together when he stopped to photograph a rock formation and BT continued walking ahead of him.

While we don't know how long he took to photograph the rocks, we know that RT expected to see BT a few steps ahead of him-- and most certainly at the camper parked across Kelbaker Rd.

After RT couldn't find BT and LE/SAR didn't locate BT within the first 24 hours of searching and retracing the area per RT's memory, -- his theory that BT was picked up (and taken to Las Vegas) was very plausible.

Reportedly, human remains identified as BT's were located 16+ months later near Kelbaker/Hidden Hills Rd -- the area RT reported he last saw his wife and the area previously searched by SAR.

We do not know how much of BT's skeleton was recovered but BT did not vanish within a few minutes of distraction -- only for her bones to surface more than a year later.

I believe LE comparing the areas they searched (outlined below) compared to the area(s) where BT's remains were located-- and trying to make sense of it all. Upon conclusion of their investigation, we will learn the manner of death if not the cause of BT's death.

MOO

July 22nd - The investigation continues into the whereabouts of missing person Barbara Thomas
msg_expiration.png

DATE/TIME: July 12, 2019 2:30 pm

INCIDENT: Missing Person

VICTIM: Barbara Thomas, 69 years old, resident of Bullhead City, AZ described as 5'9, 130 lbs., Blonde hair, Green eyes
Last seen wearing a black bikini, a red baseball cap and tan hiking boots with black socks

SUMMARY:
UPDATE - Monday, July 22, 2019

The ongoing daily searches for Barbara Thomas in the Mohave National Preserve have been suspended. Additional searches will be conducted as any additional information is developed in the investigation.

Detectives from the Specialized Investigations Division have assumed the investigation as is standard department policy when a missing person has not been located.

The investigation is ongoing and anyone with information is asked to contact Detective Nicholas Clark, Specialized Investigations Division (909) 387-3589. Callers wishing to remain anonymous are urged to contact the We-Tip Hotline at 1-800-78-CRIME (27463) or www.wetip.com.

UPDATE #9
Sunday, July 21st, the search continued today for Barbara Thomas.
Search and Rescue members from throughout the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department were deployed into the field this morning just after sunrise. K9 units, members certified in cave searches, rope climbing and desert terrain ground searchers were utilized today.

The search has been suspended for the day due to extreme temperatures. No evidence of Barbara was located today.

UPDATE #8
Saturday, July 20th, the search continues this morning for Barbara Thomas.
Eighty (80) Search and Rescue members from throughout the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department were deployed into the field this morning just after sunrise. Off-road vehicles, K9 units, members certified in cave searches, rope climbing and desert terrain ground hikers are being utilized today. Aviation will be assisting throughout the search operation.

There has been no evidence of Barbara Thomas located on previous days. Temperatures are expected to reach over 100 degrees.

UPDATE #7
Friday, July 19th, the search continues this morning for Barbara Thomas. Search and Rescue members are utilizing off road vehicles, K9 units and hikers. The search resumed just after sunrise this morning. The search will include aerial support throughout the day.

There has been no evidence of Barbara Thomas located on previous days. Temperatures are expected to reach over 100 degrees.

UPDATE #6
Thursday, July 18th, the search continues for Barbara Thomas. Search and Rescue volunteers, a K9 unit, Sheriff's Aviation and personnel from the River Station are continuing to search the Mohave Desert in the are of Kelbaker/Hidden Hills near the 1-40. Search teams were deployed into the field at 5:00 am.

Temperatures are expected to reach over 100 degrees today.

UPDATE #5

Wednesday, July 17th, the search continues for Barbara Thomas. Search and Rescue volunteers, 3 K9 Units, Sheriff's Aviation and personnel from the River Station are continuing to search the Mohave Desert in the area of Kelbaker/Hidden Hills near the 1-40. Search efforts began this morning at sun up.

Temperatures are expected to reach over 100 degrees today.

UPDATE#4:
Tuesday, July 16th - the search continues for Barbara Thomas in the Mohave desert. Nearly 20 Search and Rescue volunteers, and deputies assigned to the River Station are continuing the search. Off road vehicles are being utilized to allow searchers to cover additional area.

There have been no sightings of her at this time. The temperatures are expected to exceed 100 degrees today.

UPDATE#3:
Monday, July 15th - the search continues for missing person Barbara Thomas in the Mohave desert. Barbara was last seen in the area of Kelbaker/Hidden Hills near the 1-40.

UPDATE #2:
The search is moving into the third day for Barbara Thomas in the Mohave desert. Barbara was last seen in the area of Kelbaker / Hidden Hills near the I-40. The search involves numerous Search & Rescue members, deputies, K9’s, Sheriff’s Aviation(helicopter) and Park Rangers.

There have been no sightings of her at this time. The temperatures today hovered around 104 degrees.

Updates will be issued as new information becomes available.
Anyone with information regarding Barbara's whereabouts is urged to contact the Colorado River Station at (760)326-9200 or Sheriff's Dispatch at (760)956-5001.
UPDATE:
The search continues for Barbara Thomas in the Mohave desert approximately 20 miles north of the I-40 freeway east of Kelbaker Rd.
Numerous Search & Rescue members, deputies, K9’s, Sheriff’s Aviation(helicopter) and Park Rangers.

There have been no sightings of her at this time. The temperatures are above 100 degrees today.

Updates will be issued as new information becomes available.
Anyone with information regarding Barbara's whereabouts is urged to contact the Colorado River Station at (760)326-9200 or Sheriff's Dispatch at (760)956-5001.

SUMMARY:
On July 12, 2019, at 2:30 p.m., Barbara and her husband Robert were hiking in the Mohave desert approximately 20 miles north of the I-40 freeway east of Kelbaker Rd. During the hike, Barbara and Robert got separated and she has not been seen since.
Barbara was last seen wearing a black bikini, a red baseball cap and tan hiking boots with black socks.

Barbara does not have any supplies or a cell phone.

An active search is underway with the assistance from Search & Rescue members, fire personnel, Park Rangers and Sheriff's Aviation.

https://local.nixle.com/alert/7427618/?desktop

JULY 15, 2019

Last edited:
I'd like to know what personal effects of hers they found. Did they find her drink container? Was she in fact wearing a black bikini?

I don't know why I want to know that, exactly. I thought all along that it was likely she wanted to be inside the RV and, being unable to find the key, walked on down Hidden Hills, as that side of the road is a good place for a potty break (no cholla, just scrub). I think she was already in the throes of heat exhaustion and probably also annoyed.

Heat exhaustion can cause paradoxical behavior (a sense of energy and euphoria that can make people keep on going when they ought to be turn back) and of course it also causes confusion, so that getting lost is much easier than when in a normal state of mind.

That side of the road has no trails, but lots of trail-like sand in between bushes caused by water erosion. The search was mostly focused within 1 mile in each direction from the "crossroads" where RT told police he last saw Barb. It does sound like she took the right trail toward the RV, but then went further into the Hidden Hills Road area (dirt road). The searchers posted pictures of themselves and 1 dog searching on that side - near the dirt road, not out in the desert (which would have been a really large area to try and search). They did the grid search on the opposite side of the road, about 4 square miles by my calculation - so a large search.

She was someplace else...probably collapsed due to heat stroke. IMO.

Maybe she couldn’t find the place where he hid the key. Maybe he forgot to hide the key, and it was in his pocket.

So, she arrives back there, can’t get in, and perhaps with her thoughts already muddled by heat exhaustion, she just decides she’ll take another walk, and make him wait for her, for a change.

Or, walks away from the motor home to find a secluded place for a bathroom break, and then, under the influence of a medical condition probably related to the heat, just keeps walking in the wrong direction.

All this just random speculation.
There are a million details we will never know-

When did she cross the rd. Where did she cross? What time? Did she get lost before returning to the camper? After? Did she even go to the camper? Did she find the key?

We don't even know where her bones were found, what condition they were in, or what else was found with them.

All speculation, I agree.

To me it LE has clearly taken the stance that this is a lost-person case and not a murdered-person case.

I'd like to know what personal effects of hers they found. Did they find her drink container? Was she in fact wearing a black bikini?

I don't know why I want to know that, exactly. I thought all along that it was likely she wanted to be inside the RV and, being unable to find the key, walked on down Hidden Hills, as that side of the road is a good place for a potty break (no cholla, just scrub). I think she was already in the throes of heat exhaustion and probably also annoyed.

Heat exhaustion can cause paradoxical behavior (a sense of energy and euphoria that can make people keep on going when they ought to be turn back) and of course it also causes confusion, so that getting lost is much easier than when in a normal state of mind.

That side of the road has no trails, but lots of trail-like sand in between bushes caused by water erosion. The search was mostly focused within 1 mile in each direction from the "crossroads" where RT told police he last saw Barb. It does sound like she took the right trail toward the RV, but then went further into the Hidden Hills Road area (dirt road). The searchers posted pictures of themselves and 1 dog searching on that side - near the dirt road, not out in the desert (which would have been a really large area to try and search). They did the grid search on the opposite side of the road, about 4 square miles by my calculation - so a large search.

She was someplace else...probably collapsed due to heat stroke. IMO.

BBM. I agree with your thoughts about what happened to Barbara. IIRC, RT said in his interview that she wanted to use the RV (or similar words). If she couldn't find the key to the RV and RT didn't show up right away, she may have walked east on Hidden Hills Road, perhaps looking for a private spot to relieve herself. I agree that the heat was likely a factor in her death. She could have wandered out of the area that was searched or was just not found during the search.

We will likely never know exactly what happened, but I'm glad her remains were found.
MOO

Please remember that no cause of death or manner of death has been released in Barbara's case, so none of us is in a position to state information as fact in that regard.

If there is MSM that states COD or MOD, please link it; otherwise it is your opinion and needs to be clearly noted as such.

Thanks.

To me it LE has clearly taken the stance that this is a lost-person case and not a murdered-person case.
^^rsbm

I don't believe LE has taken any stance here.
As noted above, at this time, there has been no manner or cause of death released.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melissawilkinson44
Back