TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ironically, I am the one who posted that screenshot from the story. But that is not the inventory sheet of the vehicle, I guess maybe it is a summary as you said. But, the summary says as we have stated before that it was not inventoried according to that screenshot because all the doors were locked, which we know by the time Kent got to the tow yard was false, and if one wanted to assume, one could assume that something is wrong, false, misstated, or changed.

So. Knowing what we know now, I would like to know, according to my previous post and the ordinances of who can authorize a tow and how it can be done. WHO authorized the tow, WHEN was it done, WHO entered the vehicle, Where is the inventory sheet, WHY is the car in NEUTRAL ---yes it is in neutral--someone entered that vehicle to tow it---. WHY does the screenshot say doors were locked when Kent was able to get into the car? Were they locked BUT the tow truck driver had to "open" the driver's side in order to get the car in to neutral to tow it because he didn't have a flatbed? hmmmmmm that is exactly what I am thinking. So, then, was the whole "inventory of the vehicle skipped"?

Changes the storyline a bit doesn't it? Enough presence of mind to lock the door when you exit? Or ???

IMHO, the statement from Caldwell County is carefully crafted. It doesn't say whether ANY OTHER doors were locked, just notes the PASSENGER door was locked. Well, the car does have 3 other doors. What about those? The report goes on to say WHO did not enter the vehicle but doesn't say they didn't enter because the doors were locked. Then they say Kent entered through an unlocked driver's side door at the impound lot. So, what is that statement doing? Is it putting blame on the impound lot? Saying, well, they didn't secure the car and we don't know how it got unlocked? It wasn't unlocked when we were on site with the wreck? Or is the statement vague purposely?

I can't jive the screenshot saying the car wasn't inventoried because the car was locked, Caldwell County effectively NOT saying the car was locked or unlocked, and then the car being unlocked at the tow yard. Takes me down a path of wanting to see the vehicle inventory sheet as a whole and again, I will just restate, whoever is an investigative reporter in this group, go get that FOIA, and get that report and find out why all these inconsistencies from the very beginning.

I guess I disagree that such detail is typical and/or available for what has already been explained by CCSO to be a common occurrence in the county (i.e., finding a wrecked, abandoned vehicle along the road, and collected by towing firm).

CCSO already admitted that LE did not process the scene as if a crime occurred or foul play suspected.

Perhaps you will find additional details if you listen to communication between the responding officer and DPS dispatch.

MOO

12/22/20

Caldwell County Sheriff’s Sgt. William Miller told CrimeOnline that investigators were not immediately concerned about Landry’s safety just after the discovery of his vehicle, because of how frequently police receive reports of abandoned cars in the remote area of central Texas.

“That happens all the time,” Miller said. Much more often than not, the owner will reclaim the vehicle after a day or two, having left it to seek help for car trouble, or in some cases, because they got into a DUI crash and did not want to call police to the scene. Miller reiterated earlier police statements that there is no indication alcohol or drugs contributed to Landry’s wreck.

Late last week, Miller said, Texas DPS turned over the missing persons investigation to the Caldwell County Sheriff’s office, while DPS focuses on the crash investigation.

“There were certain things that weren’t done” in the first hours after the discovery of Landry’s abandoned car, Miller said. “We weren’t conducting a true missing persons investigation.”

Missing Texas State student Jason Landry’s abandoned car did not cause immediate concern; police work to overcome early investigative delays

I guess I disagree that such detail is typical and/or available for what has already been explained by CCSO to be a common occurrence in the county (i.e., finding a wrecked, abandoned vehicle along the road, and collected by towing firm).

CCSO already admitted that LE did not process the scene as if a crime occurred or foul play suspected.

Perhaps you will find additional details if you listen to communication between the responding officer and DPS dispatch.

MOO
Did they process it as if an accident had occurred and the driver might be in the trunk, even?
Take road markings or measurements?
The usual checks carried out by every police force in the world at accident sites?
What actions exactly did they take?

Ironically, I am the one who posted that screenshot from the story. But that is not the inventory sheet of the vehicle, I guess maybe it is a summary as you said. But, the summary says as we have stated before that it was not inventoried according to that screenshot because all the doors were locked, which we know by the time Kent got to the tow yard was false, and if one wanted to assume, one could assume that something is wrong, false, misstated, or changed.

So. Knowing what we know now, I would like to know, according to my previous post and the ordinances of who can authorize a tow and how it can be done. WHO authorized the tow, WHEN was it done, WHO entered the vehicle, Where is the inventory sheet, WHY is the car in NEUTRAL ---yes it is in neutral--someone entered that vehicle to tow it---. WHY does the screenshot say doors were locked when Kent was able to get into the car? Were they locked BUT the tow truck driver had to "open" the driver's side in order to get the car in to neutral to tow it because he didn't have a flatbed? hmmmmmm that is exactly what I am thinking. So, then, was the whole "inventory of the vehicle skipped"?

Changes the storyline a bit doesn't it? Enough presence of mind to lock the door when you exit? Or ???

IMHO, the statement from Caldwell County is carefully crafted. It doesn't say whether ANY OTHER doors were locked, just notes the PASSENGER door was locked. Well, the car does have 3 other doors. What about those? The report goes on to say WHO did not enter the vehicle but doesn't say they didn't enter because the doors were locked. Then they say Kent entered through an unlocked driver's side door at the impound lot. So, what is that statement doing? Is it putting blame on the impound lot? Saying, well, they didn't secure the car and we don't know how it got unlocked? It wasn't unlocked when we were on site with the wreck? Or is the statement vague purposely?

I can't jive the screenshot saying the car wasn't inventoried because the car was locked, Caldwell County effectively NOT saying the car was locked or unlocked, and then the car being unlocked at the tow yard. Takes me down a path of wanting to see the vehicle inventory sheet as a whole and again, I will just restate, whoever is an investigative reporter in this group, go get that FOIA, and get that report and find out why all these inconsistencies from the very beginning.
And do you wonder why they had to tow the car so quickly that evening even though it was not in the road and was not a hazard to anyone that would have been driving down the road at any time?

MOO

12/22/20

Caldwell County Sheriff’s Sgt. William Miller told CrimeOnline that investigators were not immediately concerned about Landry’s safety just after the discovery of his vehicle, because of how frequently police receive reports of abandoned cars in the remote area of central Texas.

“That happens all the time,” Miller said. Much more often than not, the owner will reclaim the vehicle after a day or two, having left it to seek help for car trouble, or in some cases, because they got into a DUI crash and did not want to call police to the scene. Miller reiterated earlier police statements that there is no indication alcohol or drugs contributed to Landry’s wreck.

Late last week, Miller said, Texas DPS turned over the missing persons investigation to the Caldwell County Sheriff’s office, while DPS focuses on the crash investigation.

“There were certain things that weren’t done” in the first hours after the discovery of Landry’s abandoned car, Miller said. “We weren’t conducting a true missing persons investigation.”

Missing Texas State student Jason Landry’s abandoned car did not cause immediate concern; police work to overcome early investigative delays
I get that and I can have a healthy discussion about this I think.

To their statement, I would then argue. Why then do they find it necessary to have County ordinances to spell out what to do in situations exactly like this? Situations that simply apply to an abandoned vehicle? Why do they have rules that tow trucks must follow and officers must follow? If indeed, it happens so often they really don't want to follow them? They just made the decision to update these "ordinances" recently. I am just going to copy from my prior post where I included these. It is post #1032

Sorry to go back to the towing topic. I just came across the City of Luling’s ordinances doc on hired vehicles including wreckers. I’ll link. Copying bits I find interesting. BBM

Municode Library

Sec. 114-116. - Towing of vehicles at police scene.

(a)

It is unlawful for a wrecker driver to attach to or tow any vehicle from a police scene unless a police officer at the scene authorizes the driver to attach to or tow the vehicle. .......

c)

A wrecker driver who tows a vehicle from a police scene must remove and properly dispose of any debris, parts, fluids and glass from the scene......

Sec. 114-117. - Wrecker inventory sheet for police-authorized tow; destination for tows.

(a)

It is unlawful for a driver to perform a police-authorized tow without obtaining a completed wrecker inventory sheet issued by the police officer who authorizes the tow.

And do you wonder why they had to tow the car so quickly that evening even though it was not in the road and was not a hazard to anyone that would have been driving down the road at any time?

I can only speak for myself but I haven't stopped wondering about that. Sure seems odd to me. Especially since they say the person usually comes back the next day to get the car. So why tow it? It wasn't blocking the road. That just feels.... odd to me.

I can only speak for myself but I haven't stopped wondering about that. Sure seems odd to me. Especially since they say the person usually comes back the next day to get the car. So why tow it? It wasn't blocking the road. That just feels.... odd to me.
Texas Transportation Code § 683.002 | FindLaw
(a) For the purposes of this chapter, a motor vehicle is abandoned if the motor vehicle:

(1) is inoperable, is more than five years old, and has been left unattended on public property for more than 48 hours;

(2) has remained illegally on public property for more than 48 hours;

(3) has remained on private property without the consent of the owner or person in charge of the property for more than 48 hours;

(4) has been left unattended on the right-of-way of a designated county, state, or federal highway for more than 48 hours;

(5) has been left unattended for more than 24 hours on the right-of-way of a turnpike project constructed and maintained by the Texas Turnpike Authority division of the Texas Department of Transportation or a controlled access highway;  or

(6) is considered an abandoned motor vehicle under Section 644.153(r) .

(b) In this section, “controlled access highway” has the meaning assigned by Section 541.302 .

I am not sure what you are telling me, but that is not what i was asking nor is it who can authorize a tow . I am pretty clear on who can do it and how it is supposed to be done. I want to see WHO did it, WHEN, HOW, and with what paperwork.
Basically you are asking for their bog standard protocols and procedures at arrival at a crashed abandoned vehicle SITE.
Need the manual.
The EXACT recommended procedures and policies and the order in which they should be carried out at a wreck.
Did the trooper adhere to these protocols when he came on Jason's vehicle and what records did he take at the site?
And where are these records located?
Is that it?

Basically you are asking for their bog standard protocols and procedures at arrival at a crashed abandoned vehicle SITE.
Need the manual.
The EXACT recommended procedures and policies and the order in which they should be carried out at a wreck.
Did the trooper adhere to these protocols when he came on Jason's vehicle and what records did he take at the site?
And where are these records located?
Is that it?
No I’m not asking for that. The policies are already there. They are already voted on. I asked for the inventory sheet as spelled out as required to be given the tow truck driver by the police officer on scene when requesting a police requested tow. It is mentioned in my link above. The ordinance is spelled out above.

Texas Transportation Code § 683.002 | FindLaw
(a) For the purposes of this chapter, a motor vehicle is abandoned if the motor vehicle:

(1) is inoperable, is more than five years old, and has been left unattended on public property for more than 48 hours;

(2) has remained illegally on public property for more than 48 hours;

(3) has remained on private property without the consent of the owner or person in charge of the property for more than 48 hours;

(4) has been left unattended on the right-of-way of a designated county, state, or federal highway for more than 48 hours;

(5) has been left unattended for more than 24 hours on the right-of-way of a turnpike project constructed and maintained by the Texas Turnpike Authority division of the Texas Department of Transportation or a controlled access highway;  or

(6) is considered an abandoned motor vehicle under Section 644.153(r) .

(b) In this section, “controlled access highway” has the meaning assigned by Section 541.302 .

But it was way less than 48 hrs.

Would a typical wreck or abandoned vehicle involve leaving the lights on? Keys in the ignition? Backpack in the road with a laptop in it? And clothes in the road? That didn't raise any concerns to the officer? This was a common occurrence when finding a wrecked, abandoned vehicle along the road? I think not. MOO

No I’m not asking for that. The policies are already there. They are already voted on. I asked for the inventory sheet as spelled out as required to be given the tow truck driver by the police officer on scene when requesting a police requested tow. It is mentioned in my link above. The ordinance is spelled out above.
Given that the Luling, Tx City Police Dept had nothing to do with this investigation and only Tx DPS and CCSO were involved, I doubt the City Ordinance applicable. I believe you want to reference the County/State Code. MOO

Last edited:
and I am trying to figure out whether the standard operating procedures were observed on the night or not. I need to find the recommended protocols and I'm quite stuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong