Found Deceased CO - Gannon Stauch, 11, Colorado Springs, El Paso County, 27 Jan 2020 *Arrest* #50

Status
Not open for further replies.
LS wanting to represent herself should come as no surprise given that she reportedly had only one in-person meeting with her defense attorney which was for her first appearance.

LS was arrested in South Carolina on March 2, and transferred to El Paso County jail a couple of days later-- just as COVID19 was making news as a global pandemic.

In motions filed by her defense team last May, seeking to delay her preliminary hearing, they cited that LS had been restricted to video visits with her attorneys since that first court appearance.

Another motion claimed the El Paso County jail stopped allowing video visitation for LS and other inmates with her security designation in early May. There was a gag order that prevented getting confirmation from the jail specifically about LS access to video visits but 11 NEWS was able to confirm that video visits cannot be scheduled for inmates in certain wards during standard duty hours (8 a.m.-5 p.m.), but can be scheduled after normal hours.

In other words, not only did the defense claim their ability to work on their case had been hindered by the pandemic, but LS further created meeting problems for herself and her legal team by her own behavior behind bars (i.e., illegal jailhouse communications, and escape plans, etc.).

It would require multiple contact meetings for LS to receive and/or review documents from her defense, and I don't think it was happening at the speed that LS expected or believed she was entitled to. In a letter dated August 12, LS also wrote to the Judge to complain about not being able to participate in her defense:

Stauch complained that she has not been able to meet in-person with her legal counsel in five months. In May, her lawyers asked a judge to allow video conferencing or for Stauch to be released on bond.

“I understand this pandemic is unforeseen but I don’t feel I should be held unconstitutionally, denied access to my attorneys, have constitutional rights violated, and be abused in the process,” Stauch wrote.

She says she cannot properly participate in her defense because she is limited to three one-hour phone calls with her attorneys each week.

“I do not feel like a U.S. citizen being treated this way in my beloved country. I’m not getting a fair process, I’m not getting represented properly..."

Attorneys for Letecia Stauch seeking to push back court, potentially allow for bond

Letecia Stauch writes letter to judge claiming she is being mistreated in jail | FOX31 Denver

Thanks @Seattle1 for reminding us of the client/attorney history in this case. It is complicated and unusual. Some of LS's statements do contain truth but often that truth it is so overlaid with her "irrational" thinking, the truth is hard to see.

One point though, in a document filed May 12 but posted May 18, a slightly different picture arises than I read your summary to suggest. (That document was filed before her attempted escape in Colorado so I'm not sure how much her behavior "behind bars" was to blame for the situation. She reportedly did try to escape in Kansas, of course. And many on WS also thought she was on "suicide watch" in CO. That may or may not have been true.)

In that May 12 document, her attorneys explain (as did you, @Seattle1) that due to COVID, only video visitation occurred in March and April after the initial F2F meeting they had in March. As @Seattle1 states, sharing of documents could not really happen by video. Plus, the state's sharing of discovery with the defense had barely begun by late April anyway. (Recall Allen's statement in court about how long that would take--so there wasn't much of anything to share at that point.)

Her attorneys argue that beginning in early May for people of LS's security designation (reason for designation redacted) in-person attorney visitation was required by the jail. Video visitation was no longer allowed for people of LS's designation.

Quite naturally with COVID beginning to really rage and all the panic that was ensuing, her attorneys were opposed to having to go to the jail to see her. They argued visitation spaces did not allow social distancing from other attorneys/inmates AND jailers treated antibacterial wipes as "contraband" so spaces could not be even minimally cleaned. Further, the ventilation system was antiquated and inmates were not issued masks at that time.

https://www.courts.state.co.us/userfiles/file/Court_Probation/04th_Judicial_District/El_Paso/Stauch/D-11 Motion for Video Access to Client_Redacted.pdf

I am sure we will look back and see many of the COVID-panic policies were ill-advised and short-sighted. That includes in jails and certainly in that jail. I expect too we'll see some court "do overs" because of bad policies.

It may be that this history and knowledge of the unfortunate jail policies played a role in the judge's decision to allow self-representation.
JMO

Last edited:
IMO it all comes down to control.

Leticia has not had any control of her life since she was arrested. She NEEDS to control everything and everyone.

She also wants to exact her revenge on Al and Landen. Her lawyers won’t be doing that so she HAD to represent herself in order to regain her power.

And then there’s Harley. I think she needs to control Harley’s testimony. Through fear, and long term manipulation, gaslighting etc., Harley will, IMHO, tow the line that Leticia needs her to tow.

Her Ace In The Hole might just be Harley’s testimony. My guess is that she will be coached to lie and it will be a whopper.

So much treachery and unscrupulous deeds to come.

MOO

I think you’re right about HH being manipulated if she is called to testify. LS wouldn’t even have to coach her beforehand. Every kid knows their parent’s stink eye from across a room that warns a misbehaving child to shape up.
IMO it all comes down to control.

Leticia has not had any control of her life since she was arrested. She NEEDS to control everything and everyone.

She also wants to exact her revenge on Al and Landen. Her lawyers won’t be doing that so she HAD to represent herself in order to regain her power.

And then there’s Harley. I think she needs to control Harley’s testimony. Through fear, and long term manipulation, gaslighting etc., Harley will, IMHO, tow the line that Leticia needs her to tow.

Her Ace In The Hole might just be Harley’s testimony. My guess is that she will be coached to lie and it will be a whopper.

So much treachery and unscrupulous deeds to come.

MOO

I am sure we will look back and see many of the COVID-panic policies were ill-advised and short-sighted. That includes in jails and certainly in that jail. I expect too we'll see some court "do overs" because of bad policies.
^^RSBBM

I'm not sure what you mean by ill-advised "panic policies" including the jails but it's hard to ignore the death of EPC Sheriff deputy last April and November's headlines where EPC Jail was home to the state's largest outbreak of COVID!

And I'm also not faulting LS' defense team for not wanting contact meetings with their client at the jail.

Nearly 700 El Paso County jail inmates have tested positive for COVID-19, the sheriff's office announced Tuesday, making Colorado Springs home to the state’s largest outbreak among inmates since the pandemic started.

The fast-spreading virus has infected 690 inmates out of 1,229 in custody, marking a nearly tenfold increase in five days and surpassing all other outbreaks in penal institutions reported by state public health officials, data show.

El Paso County jail sets state record for largest COVID-19 outbreak among inmates, with 690 sickened

El Paso County deputy's passing from COVID-19 considered 'line of duty' death; full police honors service expected

Leticia, like every accused in the US, deserves representation. I’m ecstatic to hear she’ll be permitted to represent herself. She deserves nothing more. Although she’ll probably be very disappointed that her trial will not be televised.

Leticia, like every accused in the US, deserves representation. I’m ecstatic to hear she’ll be permitted to represent herself. She deserves nothing more. Although she’ll probably be very disappointed that her trial will not be televised.

Clearly "Dr. Stauch" has never heard this golden oldie, which seems very apropos here:

"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool; than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."

^^RSBBM

I'm not sure what you mean by ill-advised "panic policies" including the jails but it's hard to ignore the death of EPC Sheriff deputy last April and November's headlines where EPC Jail was home to the state's largest outbreak of COVID!

And I'm also not faulting LS' defense team for not wanting contact meetings with their client at the jail.

Nearly 700 El Paso County jail inmates have tested positive for COVID-19, the sheriff's office announced Tuesday, making Colorado Springs home to the state’s largest outbreak among inmates since the pandemic started.

The fast-spreading virus has infected 690 inmates out of 1,229 in custody, marking a nearly tenfold increase in five days and surpassing all other outbreaks in penal institutions reported by state public health officials, data show.

El Paso County jail sets state record for largest COVID-19 outbreak among inmates, with 690 sickened

El Paso County deputy's passing from COVID-19 considered 'line of duty' death; full police honors service expected

What I meant by ill-advised panic policies wasn't limited only to jails. I won't expand on that because it would be considered off-topic by the mods most likely.

So far as the EP jail is concerned, some ill-advised policies I can think of include purchasing but not distributing masks and requiring attorneys to make in-person visits to some prisoners awaiting trial. Those sound ill-advised to me. It also sounded ill-advised not to allow visiting attorneys to bring in disinfectant wipes. (I understand general prohibitions but attorneys are allowed to bring in other things usually considered "contraband.")

I'm aware of how bad COVID got at that jail. And as my previous post stated it was quite understandable attorneys didn't wish to make in-person visits. My answer was intended to clarify that for a period of time LS (as well as others in her "category") were not permitted to have video visits with their attorneys, only in-person visits. That may have effects on court cases and on appeals.

JMO

Last edited:
Is this true, that there are certain things about the case that she was not privy to and the "fine ladies" had information for her that the jail was blocking? But now, as she represents herself, she will have full access?

Surely the defense has given her all info that they have? What parts could she possibly think are being hidden? Or is this a moot point trying to understand what is happening inside that head of hers?

By representing herself, does this change her status? Will she be treated special and be given resources that an attorney is given?

Will the judge be required during the trial to help her defend herself? Like answering questions and giving her pointers or advice?

This is insane! I feel so sorry for Gannon's family.

Judge grants Letecia Stauch the right to represent herself in courtcourt

Stauch alleged her decision wasn’t because she thought her representation was doing a bad job, she called them “fine ladies,” but that the jail was mistreating her and blocking her from being able to see parts of the case she believes she has a right to.

OK--
This last paragraph-- "the Jail is mistreating her and "BLOCKING her from being able to SEE parts of the Case she believes SHE has a RIGHT to.
Basically, She wants to see what they have.
She wants to see it ahead of trial as she thinks it will help her.
Her motive is to get the information they have against her. IMO
I call BS on 'HER 2 PIECES OF EVIDENCE"
She wants access to their documents because SHE BELIEVES SHE HAS A RIGHT TO and with having attorneys, she is not able to have that access.

I commented on this a minute ago because I was confused and had not seen your post. Now I think I understand.

Ok so what this means is, she wants access to the prosecutions case/documents against her.... and by defending herself, she believes she will now gain access?

I commented on this a minute ago because I was confused and had not seen your post. Now I think I understand.

Ok so what this means is, she wants access to the prosecutions case/documents against her.... and by defending herself, she believes she will now gain access?

She should have access to those documents through her attorneys. As attorneys here and elsewhere have said, there's no reason she can't see the state's evidence. Discovery isn't "secret" from the defendant. That's not how our legal system works.

There likely have been difficulties sharing information because of COVID. Thousands of pages of information can't be shared by video (or easily in person either.)

JMO

If they do....and LS is now the defense, I suppose she will have to turn over her 2 ace in the hole pieces of evidence...

She's like a Timex - takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

If only either of the pieces of iron-clad evidence are anything like the display of intelligence shown in her pursuit of a fake lie detector test result.

If only. All of us can but wish.

ETA: And you can also just imagine it, can't you?

Fine Lady Attorneys: But Leticia, nobody but nobody will believe this story/evidence/piece of information.

LS: Oh yes! Yes they will!! Just so long as *I* explain it to them! YOU could never hope to explain it properly!!

Last edited:
I've been flabbergastedly following along here with the latest news...I don't know why I'm surprised that she wants to represent herself, but I think I was thinking that some time in jail may have softened her delusions of superiority and arrogance...I guess not!

I'm still dying over her quoting Kenny Rogers' The Gambler at the judge.

As far as her "aces in the hole"...my money is on her daughter. I am sure she's been laying the groundwork for months and 100% believes that she can get her to say anything on the stand to support her insane lies. Seeing Eguardo, accusations against Al, fake alibis. Other "ace" is possible other relatives of her that she will get to vouch for her whereabouts, for example where she was in Florida, etc. She truly believes she can lie with impunity and others believe her. I don't think it's any forensic evidence or anything like that.

It's absolutely insane torture for Gannon's parents to go through cross-examination by her. It's absolutely infuriating that they will be subject to this. I remember the Long Island Subway Killer who represented himself at trial and how his victims had to be answer his crazy questions.

Chase Merritt at one point decided he wanted to represent himself...but a few months into it changed his mind.

I hope that the wheels on the self-representation bus fall off long before trial, because otherwise it's going to be an absolute horror show.

What I meant by ill-advised panic policies wasn't limited only to jails. I won't expand on that because it would be considered off-topic by the mods most likely.

So far as the EP jail is concerned, some ill-advised policies I can think of include purchasing but not distributing masks and requiring attorneys to make in-person visits to some prisoners awaiting trial. Those sound ill-advised to me. It also sounded ill-advised not to allow visiting attorneys to bring in disinfectant wipes. (I understand general prohibitions but attorneys are allowed to bring in other things usually considered "contraband.")

I'm aware of how bad COVID got at that jail. And as my previous post stated it was quite understandable attorneys didn't wish to make in-person visits. My answer was intended to clarify that for a period of time LS (as well as others in her "category") were not permitted to have video visits with their attorneys, only in-person visits. That may have effects on court cases and on appeals.

JMO

100% agree. It’s not about the risk of covid - legally, it’s ALL about the infringement of defendants’ rights. I have no solution, but all the restrictions are wreaking havoc on litigation and trials in the Constitutional sense. JMO.

LS alleges that “two pieces of evidence would completely prove her innocence.”

In recalling LE's interviews with LS as outlined in the affidavits, LS was full of absolute crazy talk!

I think her only alleged proof of innocence will be LS blaming Gannon's murder on one of her imaginary friends, and her key witness will suddenly be abducted by aliens, and unavailable to testify for her.

I also have no doubt that LS intends to smear Gannon's biological parents in any way that is allowed.

MOO

No doubt about smearing the parents. It makes me so angry to watch her sideshow. I know it's her right, but I want Gannon rights, justice, and dignity restored. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snoopyxxoo31