UK UK- Susan Ovens, 27, Sidney Hickling, 27 & Dolphus Smith, 57, fatally shot, Rushden, 24 Nov 1981

dotr

Reaction score
Police search 39 years on to find who shot three people in caravan
''Northamptonshire Police continue to appeal for information for a series of murders that happened more than three decades ago today.

Susan Ovens, aged 27, Sidney Hickling, aged 27 and Dolphus Smith, ages 57, were all murdered on November 24 in 1981. They were shot at close range in their caravans in Ditchford Road, Rushden.''

Looking for some photos and more news coverage, apparently there was a documentary about the case somewhere, will look around.
Central News East: 24.11.1988: Unsolved Gypsy Murders
''Summary
Simon Harris report about the continuing search for the murderer of three travellers whose bodies were found at Ditchford Lane near Wellingborough in November 1981.
Year:
Duration:
0:02:14
Film type:
Colour / Sound
Genre:
Television News
Company:
Central Television
Master format:
Betacam SP''
''Interview with Chief Superintendent Peter Sharpe about the on-going investigation into the murder of Susan Ovens, Dolphus Smith and Sid Hickling. Shot of Peter Sharpe walking into police station. B/w stills of Sid Hickling, Susan Ovens and Dolphus Smith. Library shots of a police reconstruction carried out in 1984. Library shot of police incident room. Library pictures of other unsolved Northamptonshire murders - Percy Francis at Rushden in August and Stacey Darlington and her family in a house fire in Northampton in 1987.''

Just noticed that Peter Sharpe was the detective in charge of this case... and not the caravan dealer. Thats a bizarre coincidence

Thanks for posting, this case has been on my mind for years (personal reasons)

Central News East: 24.11.1988: Unsolved Gypsy Murders

I found this article, it mentions photos but there are none posted.

Peter Sharpe is the owner of a local caravan business. I'm guessing the caravan came from Peters shop. (White Arches)
This has also been actively in my mind for years too as I can remember seeing Susan only a few days before,(also for personal reasons)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buggy8993
Back