NY NY - Cynthia Constantine, 15, Oakdale, 11 July 1969

Updated Charley case with Age Progressed image

Cynthia Dawn Constantine
  • cynthia_dawn_constantine_1.jpg
  • cynthia_dawn_constantine_2.jpg
  • constantine_cynthia_ap.jpg
Cynthia, circa 1969; Age-progression to age 62 (circa 2016)

• Missing Since07/11/1969
  • Missing FromOakdale, New York
  • ClassificationEndangered Missing
  • Date of Birth04/14/1954 (65)
  • Age15 years old
  • Height and Weight5'3, 117 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry DescriptionA white blouse, black Bermuda shorts, orange sneakers and possibly a yellow metal chain with a cross pendant.
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsCaucasian female. Blonde hair, blue eyes. Cynthia has a mole on her throat and a discolored front tooth. She wears eyeglasses. She has previously fractured her lower right arm.
Details of Disappearance
Cynthia was last seen in Oakdale, New York on July 11, 1969. She went to take the dog for a walk along the railroad tracks of the Montauk branch train of the Long Island Railroad. The dog returned home without her just a few minutes later, with its collar and leash still on.

Earlier on the day of her disappearance, Cynthia and her brother had gone into the woods and seen a muskrat den, and she said she wanted to go back and find the muskrat. Three young boys said they'd seen Cynthia going into the woods with her dog, and when her brother lead authorities to the muskrat hole, they found tracks consistent with Cynthia and the dog. The tracks were wiped out by rain before they could be closely examined or preserved, however.

Cynthia has never been heard from again. She didn't take any belongings with her, and at the time of her disappearance her rabbit was about to give birth and she was looking forward to seeing the babies. Her family never believed she ran away; they thought she was abducted.

The police considered Cynthia's father a possibly suspect in her disappearance. He had a bicycle shop on Montauk Highway in Oakdale, and laid a new cement floor in the basement around the time of Cynthia's disappearance.

Several local people were suggested as potential suspects, but no one has been charged or named publicly. It's worth noting that she disappeared near the train station, and could have encountered numerous people there who weren't local to the area.

Cynthia's parents are both dead, but her brother is still alive. Her case remains unsolved.
Investigating Agency
Source Information
Updated 8 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated August 26, 2019; age-progression added.

I also grew up in this area, although this case happened before my time. I'm confused on something, Cynthia's friend mentioned that the body found at heckscher park wasn't Cynthia but may have been Dean Martin's niece.

However, the case is still listed as an unidentified person, and there's no mention of Cynthia being ruled out, only Sylvia Lwowski. Sallust submitted Cynthia as a possible match but it doesn't look like she got a response. It doesn't seem likely to be Cynthia, as the UID had a healed clavicle fracture and there's no mention of Cynthia having had one but I think it's worth a shot to compare.

O/T Who is/was Dean Martin's niece? What happened to her? TIA!

Nevermind. I was able to locate it. This was in The Suffolk County News from 12/08/2005 on page 39.
I have two problems with this article. The first is that there is no indication the new basement floor was poured over a preexisting basement floor or if it was the first poured floor for this building. The second is the claim the detectives always believed the father had some involvement in the case. Why? What lead them to believe that?

I have two problems with this article. The first is that there is no indication the new basement floor was poured over a preexisting basement floor or if it was the first poured floor for this building. The second is the claim the detectives always believed the father had some involvement in the case. Why? What lead them to believe that?
It’s so odd. I don’t think he’s the one that did it, there’s much evidence pointing towards an abduction

I found this, there's a lot of information about Cynthia and her family.
ARCHIVES
I don't get why the detective suspected her father was involved, maybe it was just the lack of evidences... It's obvious that the first place where you have to look is the closer circle of the victim, but anyway you need proofs to say "it was him".
I read in a blog someone speculating about Alphabet Killer... She has the double initial, but the victims in that case were younger and their bodies were located (in places with the same initial).
I don't know the area, but... In my city, the area near the railtracks was frequented years ago by drug dealers, addicted people... May she have been the witness of something illegal? Was it a dangerous place? just asking.

So I was discussing this case yesterday afternoon with a co-worker after I heard him mention that he lives in Oakdale. He actually went to school at the Middle School on Oakdale-Bohemia Road and spent a lot of time hanging out in the woods that Cynthia was last seen walking in to. He told me that he remembers hearing the story about Cynthia when he was younger but he also remembers hearing about an incident involving 3 other girls. I will try to get more information.
Haven’t been on here for awhile but I remember there is a story of attempted rape of two girls - two boys were under influence of drugs the older sister walked in, kicked the boys out and cleaned the girls up- never reported to police. This attempted rape happened two months after Cynthia disappeared and happened in Bohemia.

No surprise the pigs are completely clueless and blame the girl's father! so incompetent and downright evil
Haven’t been on here in a while...but the police thought that the person who took Cynthia had issues with Cynthia’s Dad. Cynthia’s Dad not only owned the bike shop but was also a teacher in Boces..I believe he taught mechanics. This infor was fromCynthias Mom told to my Mom. Cynthia was my childhood friend.

I found this, there's a lot of information about Cynthia and her family.
ARCHIVES
I don't get why the detective suspected her father was involved, maybe it was just the lack of evidences... It's obvious that the first place where you have to look is the closer circle of the victim, but anyway you need proofs to say "it was him".
I read in a blog someone speculating about Alphabet Killer... She has the double initial, but the victims in that case were younger and their bodies were located (in places with the same initial).
I don't know the area, but... In my city, the area near the railtracks was frequented years ago by drug dealers, addicted people... May she have been the witness of something illegal? Was it a dangerous place? just asking.
A lot of us teens would walk the tracks in Oakdale in pairs or groups, usually heading towards Great River..it was never known to be dangerous but we were all warned not to go into the woods by yourself. When I was 7 or 8, I was with my brother heading home from the local pond in the woods, and all of a sudden a man stepped out in front of us. He was hiding behind a tree - he asked me to pull down my pants and pee. I shook my head and my brother who was only a year older tightened his grip on my hand and told him no. He left. I often think about that incident. Knowing where we were in the woods makes me think that man was a local. I can describe him to this day and it makes me wonder if this was his first attempt.I lived around the corner from Cynthia. I was blonde, blue eyed just like Cynthia. I was one of Cynthia’s childhood friends..

Last edited:
A lot of us teens would walk the tracks in Oakdale in pairs or groups, usually heading towards Great River..it was never known to be dangerous but we were all warned not to go into the woods by yourself. When I was 7 or 8, I was with my brother heading home from the local pond in the woods, and all of a sudden a man stepped out in front of us. He was hiding behind a tree - he asked me to pull down my pants and pee. I shook my head and my brother who was only a year older tightened his grip on my hand and told him no. He left. I often think about that incident. Knowing where we were in the woods makes me think that man was a local. I can describe him to this day and it makes me wonder if this was his first attempt.I lived around the corner from Cynthia. I was blonde, blue eyed just like Cynthia. I was one of Cynthia’s childhood friends..
Have you ever reported this incident to LE?

wow i read this and got chills. I wonder if he was the man that got Cynthia?

Never reported, my Mom doesn’t even know. When Cynthia disappeared, a detective came and questioned me as we were both at a party maybe a week before she went missing. My Mom stayed in the room with me.
Even after so many years I would still report this it could be significant.

Even after so many years I would still report this it could be significant.

I agree with SAMS, especially since as you said you had blonde hair and blue eyes like she and it happened prior to her disappearance. I don’t think it’s too late at all. I wonder who this guy was? Do you remember if you ever if you or your brother ever saw the guy ever again? Glad you and your brother were ok!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back