Found Deceased ID - Joshua Vallow, 7, & Tylee Ryan, 16, Rexburg, Sept 2019 *Arrests* #56

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been just checking in here and there and have a question or two. Does the state that they are being tried in have a law where a spouse is not forced to testify against the other spouse? Are they going to be tried as co-defendants or is there going to be two juries and each tried separately during the trial?
They are going to be tried as co-defendants.

One of the arguments the state put forward for joining the cases was the Supreme Court ruling that "joint trials 'play a vital role in the criminal justice system.' They promote efficiency and 'serve the interests of justice by avoiding the scandal and inequity of inconsistent verdicts'. "

https://coi.isc.idaho.gov/docs/case/CR22-20-838/Memorandum in support of Motion for Joinder.pdf

Not so sure about that. When you have a marriage certificate, registered in the state you were married, that is your new legal name.

Although, I don't know...I am married, but never changed anything to my married name.
But you have to change passport, drivers license, social security, bank accounts, etc. Government doesn't make it so easy to change your identity.

Neither is walking around with bloody clothes and powder burns on your hands. Or entering a building with gasoline, kindling and a blow torch. Short of catching someone in the act, I wonder if there’s any behavior they’d consider investigating. Heck, if someone caught in the act gave them a story, giggled and flipped their hair they might tell them to go home and have a nice day. I don’t know if CPD officers are lazy, stupid or corrupt but they must be at least one and possibly a combination of all three. IMO the press and citizens of Chandler should be screaming at the top of their lungs. But, oddly no one seems to mind.

Have the Woodcocks ever pursued this?
I mean...the non-handling of her brother’s obvious murder?
IDK. Thanks in advance.
Insane the way Alex got away with it.

JMO

MO, the attorneys are trying to make sure there is no confusion on who did what acts. Each of them are drawing a line of distinction as to what roles their mutual defendants played. Their cases have been joined, but surely each contributed in ways unlike the other one did.

Really hard for me not to type..
Both a waste of space. Let’s get it over.

MOO

I've been just checking in here and there and have a question or two. Does the state that they are being tried in have a law where a spouse is not forced to testify against the other spouse? Are they going to be tried as co-defendants or is there going to be two juries and each tried separately during the trial?

Even with the lack of spousal privileges in cases involving crimes against children in Idaho per @pizzaman12 , they weren't married yet when Tylee and J.J. were murdered and disposed of.

But you have to change passport, drivers license, social security, bank accounts, etc. Government doesn't make it so easy to change your identity.

I respectfully disagree. A valid marriage certificate will allow you to address pretty much everything stated without actually changing your name.

Last edited:
Not so sure about that. When you have a marriage certificate, registered in the state you were married, that is your new legal name.

Although, I don't know...I am married, but never changed anything to my married name.

Perhaps it's different from state to state. I had to take my marriage certificate, social security card and driver's license to the social security office in order to legally change my name. I was then issued a new social security card with my married name that I could take to get a new driver's license.

Yes, Nate Eaton is one of the founders for East Idaho News. I was just meaning that both of these guys are more in the know about the case and have developed working relationships with the right people so when things start moving on the case these two have the inside scoop more than some one else would. Both are excellent journalists and deserve a ton of respect for digging into this case and getting the information out there.

All jmo moo imo
Agree 1000%

It would seem they may not be pertinent. Or this case is high profile for him so he’s focused. Either way it does come across as excessive. o_O

All jmo moo imo

I would not be surprised to see MM write a book or sell the rights for a movie about his client. I know in the felon arias case, K Nurmi was suspended for writing a book. Some lawyers do try and think that is their big cash win. How do they survive with all the bills just working with one client primarily over a few years, unless the main lawyer has lawyers working on other cases, under him. They would be bringing in money to support him, family and business. I have a feeling this could turn into a ‘circus’ like in the arias case....that was ridiculous.
Below link is to back up what I said about Nurmi. JMOO

Lawyer agrees to suspension for writing book about Jodi Arias murder trial

I would not be surprised to see MM write a book or sell the rights for a movie about his client. I know in the felon arias case, K Nurmi was suspended for writing a book. Some lawyers do try and think that is their big cash win. How do they survive with all the bills just working with one client primarily over a few years, unless the main lawyer has lawyers working on other cases, under him. They would be bringing in money to support him, family and business. I have a feeling this could turn into a ‘circus’ like in the arias case....that was ridiculous.
Below link is to back up what I said about Nurmi. JMOO

Lawyer agrees to suspension for writing book about Jodi Arias murder trial
I would not be surprised either
and the word "circus" reminds me that I would not be surprised to see that in little Gannon's case with LS.

Lori pitching husband n° 6 ?

I'm calling it first: this is what all the "requesting a cell phone" is about, IMO.

MM is infatuated with Lori. He wants to be able to get her on the phone, etc. at a moment's notice - at her suggestion, I'm sure.

Nothing is normal about spending multiple full days per week with one's client. Nothing.

Agreed - at least in theory. Unfortunately, I think in practice it's a mindset that "stand your ground" policies can all too easily lead to, for civilians and LE alike. Here's an article from the Arizona Republic that outlines the difficulties prosecutors face in challenging a citizen's account of the threat they faced. When lethal force is allowed in the name of self-defense

I'm not trying to go off on a tangent here, but it's a legal conundrum that seems, to me, to be ripe for exploitation by wannabe killers – just claim the other guy was doing something that made you feel threatened, and you're well on your way to 'just cause'. It certainly worked for Lori and Alex. MOO.
BBM. Jodi Arias tried that defense in Arizona, that she was a battered woman that Travis attacked and she just had to fight back. That defense failed. The Chandler PD is still at fault for an incompetent investigation in this case.

“We have prayed for the truth to come to light, but we never thought it would look like this," she wrote. "Tylee and J.J. are completely irreplaceable in our family... There are no words that can capture this loss. Words are just inadequate... Our family will never be the same."

As of now, no murder charges have been filed against either Lori Vallow or Chad Daybell.

However, Vallow has pleaded not guilty to two felony charges of conspiracy to commit destruction, alteration or concealment of evidence. If convicted, each charge carries a maximum sentence of five years in prison.

"Mrs. Vallow is entitled to all the privileges and rights that accompany our cornerstone belief of innocents, until proven beyond a reasonable doubt otherwise," her lawyer Mark Means said in a March 2020 statement. "Mrs. Vallow is guaranteed access to a fair and impartial legal process."

"In the coming days we look forward to the opportunity to work through the Court system to bring a resolution to this matter."

Daybell has pleaded not guilty to two felony counts of destruction, alteration or concealment of evidence. If convicted, each charge carries a maximum sentence of five years in prison.

Chad Daybell and Lori Vallow's next court date is March 22, as their team moves to dismiss the charges, as well as to change venue. The couple's cases have been joined by the court.
A string of family deaths surround tragedy of Lori Vallow's children

Oh wow, out of all the infuriating and heartbreaking things involved in that video clip, one of the worst of them is seeing how high-school Lori was the spit and image of Tylee. How could she???

It's Lori's world, everyone else is just living in it.

BTW...I hope Wood is one of those genius types because his courtroom presence is awful. He's a real dud. The other attorney working with him during dumbos pre-trial was far more polished. The prosecution would be more effective if Wood just directs the efforts because his questioning is monotonous and monotone. Real boring stuff jurors will yawn over.

It's Lori's world, everyone else is just living in it.

BTW...I hope Wood is one of those genius types because his courtroom presence is awful. He's a real dud. The other attorney working with him during dumbos pre-trial was far more polished. The prosecution would be more effective if Wood just directs the efforts because his questioning is monotonous and monotone. Real boring stuff jurors will yawn over.

To be honest, if I was a juror on this trial I certainly wouldn't be impressed by an attorney trying to win a personality contest. A serious prosecutor is needed here, and s/he needs to present facts and evidence. The attorneys for the two accused seem like used car salesmen to me and one of them says "quite frankly" more in 30 minutes than I've said in the last year. I personally am turned off by all of the exaggerations, feigned indignation, and general b.s. shenanigans.

To be honest, if I was a juror on this trial I certainly wouldn't be impressed by an attorney trying to win a personality contest. A serious prosecutor is needed here, and s/he needs to present facts and evidence. The attorneys for the two accused seem like used car salesmen to me and one of them says "quite frankly" more in 30 minutes than I've said in the last year. I personally am turned off by all of the exaggerations, feigned indignation, and general b.s. shenanigans.

and IF the death of Tammy ever becomes a case against anyone, you likely wouldn’t be too impressed by that new prosecutor too. She’s handled only one homicide case so far, the murderer confessed to it all but a Judge ruled the investigators violated his Miranda Rights. A snippet from what the Court said....
“After being advised of his rights and questioned as to whether he would like to speak with the deputy, Mr. Ohlson stated, “No … Not without an attorney,” Pickett wrote. “While the words ‘No’ and ‘not without an attorney’ were separated by roughly thirteen seconds and an order from Deputy Sewell to go sit in his cruiser … the Court finds that a reasonable officer in similar circumstances would have recognized Mr. Ohlson’s delayed statement as a request for counsel.”

he was still convicted but....her lack of experience doesn’t bode well (IMO) with her limited experience. The same with Wood. I’ve yet to think, if he’s anything like he was at the preliminary trials, that he could bring emotion into this and really make it sound like they’re fighting for justice for these poor kids. Many have said he will be much better during the trial, I sure hope so....

No, they claimed that the dead victim Charles was the abuser. That's not a situation that an abuse victim would normally be giggling and twirling her hair. She wasn't begging for them not to arrest Charles. The police should have cued into her weird behavior and investigated the death instead of taking their word for it that Charles was the aggressor. Besides, she had just driven up, she wasn't even in the house with "an angry Charles".

Yes, I get that. I wasn’t really talking so much about the details of this case as just riffing on the terrible oddness of domestic violence.

But wow, isn’t it true you couldn’t make that scene up, even for a crazy David Lynch movie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail