GA GA - Betty Emmett & Holly Emmett, 36, 1, Gainesville, Oct 27, 1977

Murkywaters

Reaction score
Original

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Betty Loggins Emmett and her four-month-old daughter Holly Ann Emmett (NamUs #MP68878) were last seen at their home in Gainesville, Hall County, Georgia on October 27, 1977. Betty’s husband/Holly’s father reported Betty took Holly and left their home at approximately 1:00 a.m. Betty told her husband that she was leaving the state but did not say where she was going. An unknown vehicle drove up and to pick Betty and Holly up. Betty went back inside the home to grab her clothes and then left. Betty and Holly have not been seen or heard from since.

Demographics
Missing Age: 36 Years
Current Age: 78 Years
First Name: Betty
Middle Name: Loggins
Last Name: Emmett
Nickname/Alias--
Sex: Female
Height: 5' 8" (68 Inches)
Weight: 120 lbs
Race / Ethnicity: White / Caucasian

Circumstances
Date of Last Contact: October 27, 1977
NamUs Case Created: May 2, 2020
Last Known Location Map
County: Hall County
Missing From Tribal Land: No
Primary Residence on Tribal Land: No
Circumstances of Disappearance: Betty Loggins Emmett and her four-month-old daughter Holly Ann Emmett (NamUs #MP68878) were last seen at their home in Gainesville, Hall County, Georgia on October 27, 1977. Betty’s husband/Holly’s father reported Betty took Holly and left their home at approximately 1:00 a.m. Betty told her husband that she was leaving the state but did not say where she was going. An unknown vehicle drove up and to pick Betty and Holly up. Betty went back inside the home to grab her clothes and then left. Betty and Holly have not been seen or heard from since.

Physical Description
Hair Color: Blond/Strawberry
Left Eye Color: Hazel
Right Eye Color: Hazel

Distinctive Physical Features
No Information Entered

Clothing and Accessories
No Information Entered

Transportation
No Information Entered

Investigating Agencies
Georgia Bureau of Investigation - Decatur
(404) 270-8151

I can't find any information about whom he remarried, but Homer Lee Emmett was convicted and received a life sentence for the murder of Alice Emmett, which was later upheld on appeal. He seems to have died in 2011. I'm not sure if he was ever released from prison.

To make matters more confusing, there seems to have been a different Betty Loggins from Gainesville that later moved to Ohio, who was about two years older than this Betty. Her life is better documented than this Betty.

Betty Loggins Emmett – The Charley Project

emmett_betty.jpg

• Missing Since 10/27/1977
  • Missing From Gainesville, Georgia
  • Classification Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Age 36 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'8, 120 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Blonde hair, hazel eyes.

Details of Disappearance

Betty disappeared with her four-month-old daughter, Holly Ann Emmett. Photographs and information for Holly are unavailable. They were last seen at their home in Gainesville, Georgia on October 27, 1977.

Betty's husband reported they left their home at 1:00 a.m. and were picked up in an unknown vehicle. Betty reportedly said she was leaving the state, but didn't say where they would be going. After her ride arrived, she went inside to get her clothes, then left with Holly. Neither of them have ever been heard from again. Few details are available in their cases.

Being the stubborn person I can be I kept trying and found a Homer Lee Emmett born in 1941 in Gainesville, Georgia.
Found a article about a murder he was accused of in 1973, interesting it mentions him remarried.
Maybe a connection?
17 Mar 1978, 66 - The Atlanta Constitution at Newspapers.com
March 1978

View attachment 246389

His Ancestry page is here. I think it's the same Homer Lee Emmett. For those without the membership:

"When Homer Lee Emmett was born on February 23, 1941, in Gainesville, Georgia, his father, James, was 41 and his mother, Irene, was 34. He had five brothers and one sister. He died on October 3, 2011, in his hometown at the age of 70, and was buried there."

The page says he had an unknown spouse.

I think a good task with Betty's case is to try and authenticate whether or not she was married to Homer Lee Emmett. I didn't find anything with some preliminary searches an Ancestry but it might still be there. Remember, "Betty Loggins Emmett" could be a lot of variations. Loggins looks like a maiden name to me as opposed to a given middle name. However, that might not be correct. "Elizabeth" also needs to be searched with the variations of the last names. I am wondering if she was born Elizabeth Loggins in 1941 +- a year.

I think a good task with Betty's case is to try and authenticate whether or not she was married to Homer Lee Emmett. I didn't find anything with some preliminary searches an Ancestry but it might still be there. Remember, "Betty Loggins Emmett" could be a lot of variations. Loggins looks like a maiden name to me as opposed to a given middle name. However, that might not be correct. "Elizabeth" also needs to be searched with the variations of the last names. I am wondering if she was born Elizabeth Loggins in 1941 +- a year.

Ok so plot twist.... So betty was my grandmothers bff and she has another daughter who is older then Holly that was raised by the grandmother.... So the older child was later to be discovered belonged to my grandfather and betty and my grandfather had a affair. My grandmother and the husband found out and my grandmother disowned her.... Shortly after she disappeared... The older daughter aka as my aunt doesnt know that much about her mom and that's why i am looking into the case for her. GBI was contacted and a detective came out took statements last year and DNA samples but nothing new has been discovered. It is thought that the husband made a false report to police so not sure when betty and holly actually went missing the family believes the husband did kill them but no proof could be found. My aunt said he was extremely abusive and that is one reason she was raised by family. Homer aka the husband was convicted of killing his first wife while being investigated in the disappearance of betty and holly. Homer died in prison of cancer..... Betty jean loggins was Betty's birth name.

Does anyone know if there have been any updates on this case? My grandmother is Betty’s older sister and I started looking just out of curiosity.

Does anyone know if there have been any updates on this case? My grandmother is Betty’s older sister and I started looking just out of curiosity.
Hello my grandfather was one of Betty’s brothers. I have been trying to look and look for any updates. But nothing so far. I’ve even tried to contact newspapers to see if there were any articles about her disappearance from 1977 but no luck.

There's a Betty Jean Loggins on Ancestry who was born in Clarkesville, GA, on February 25, 1942. Clarkesville is about 30 miles from Gainesville.

If you scroll down, Homer Lee Emmett tried to argue that bringing up the disappearance of his current wife (presumably Betty) was an inadmissible reference in his trial for the murder of his previous wife, Wynelle. Warning, there is a fairly graphic description of the discovery of Wynelle's body if you go to the link.
The trial court did not abuse its discretion in refusing to order a mistrial following a prosecutor's question to Emmett, "Where is your present wife." Emmett argues that there was community publicity concerning the disappearance of this wife and that the prosecutor's question was designed to prejudice the jury against him.
. . .

Under Code Ann. § 110-109 "it has been repeatedly held that the affidavit of a juror will not be received to show that the jurors in arriving at their verdict acted upon private knowledge or upon matters which were not in evidence." Alley v. State, 99 Ga. App. 322, 323 ( 108 S.E.2d 282) (1958). Accord, Estes v. Carter, 105 Ga. 495 ( 30 S.E. 882) (1897). Accordingly, there is no merit in Emmett's first enumeration of error which urges that the trial court erred in overruling his new trial motion to which was attached an affidavit of one of the jurors to the effect that during the deliberations, one of the jurors commented that "this was the guy whose last wife and child had disappeared and the law officers had not found the bodies," and another one then said "this knowledge with the evidence presented makes it appear that he is the type who would do it."

Some of the comments on this are also interesting.

Man, I know not much matches up but Betty sure looks a lot like Finley Creek JD.

1697480985464.jpeg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back