Australia Australia - William Tyrrell, 3, Kendall, Nsw, 12 Sept 2014 - #56

Status
Not open for further replies.
Facebook addressed the growing list of casualties, saying it would reverse any pages that were “inadvertently impacted”.

“The actions we’re taking are focused on restricting publishers and people in Australia from sharing or viewing Australian and international news content.

“A the law does not provide clear guidance on the definition of news content we have taken a broad definition in order to respect the law as drafted.”

As to the bolded portion above, what the heck does that mean?>>>> restricting publishers and people in Australia from sharing or viewing Australian and international news content.

So Facebook does not want 'people in Australia to share or view news content?' Is this a new rule? I have seen zillions of pages of news content on FB over the years. Since when is that restricted?

It is all about a new media law going into effect and advertising dollars. FB does not want to share any advertising dollars with the media that it uses on FB to draw viewers.

Google has (just) agreed to share advertising dollars with the media.

FB and Google have the lions share of the online advertising dollars and it is hurting the media in a big way.

It has been talked about for a few months now, talks going on between the govt, FB and Google (and presumably media leadership).

I have yet to meet an Aussie who cares if FB drops media content here. We shouldn't be going to FB for our news anyway ... too subject to manipulation and opinion.

FB is having what we call a 'dummy spit' or grandstanding.
Their dummy spit started yesterday.

Last edited:
It is all about a new media law going into effect and advertising dollars. FB does not want to share any advertising dollars with the media that it uses on FB to draw viewers.

Google has (just) agreed to share advertising dollars with the media.

FB and Google have the lions share of the online advertising dollars and it is hurting the media in a big way.

It has been talked about for a few months now, talks going on between the govt, FB and Google (and presumably media leadership).

I have yet to meet an Aussie who cares if FB drops media content here. We shouldn't be going to FB for our news anyway ... too subject to manipulation and opinion.

FB is having what we call a 'dummy spit' or grandstanding.
Their dummy spit started yesterday.
Nice explanation---Thank You.
I read a bit about it after I had posted. It's nice to see folks standing up to FB. They are a bunch of greedy bullies, in my opinion.

Jailed sex offender Frank Abbott became a particular focus, with witnesses claiming Abbott knew "something" and had been "obsessed" with the search for William.

The now-elderly man lived a caravan on a property on Herons Creek Road, about four kilometres from Kendall, at the time of the boy's disappearance.

He denies any involvement and has suggested the finger was pointed at him because of his criminal history and the reward money.

How many think this^^^ is the answer? Personally, I am leaning towards him as the prime suspect. But ?

Jailed sex offender Frank Abbott became a particular focus, with witnesses claiming Abbott knew "something" and had been "obsessed" with the search for William.

The now-elderly man lived a caravan on a property on Herons Creek Road, about four kilometres from Kendall, at the time of the boy's disappearance.

He denies any involvement and has suggested the finger was pointed at him because of his criminal history and the reward money.

How many think this^^^ is the answer? Personally, I am leaning towards him as the prime suspect. But ?

I really don’t know. There is just nothing that sticks out to me that puts FA significantly above anyone else on the list. I really don’t think there is enough evidence against him for a murder charge to stick. I just wish the investigation was more thorough and gave us more answers than this. IMO

Launched today by the Australian Federal Police and the Australian Centre to Counter Child Exploitation:
Stop child abuse - Trace An Object

"We need your help in the fight against online child sexual exploitation.
The [objects in the
Trace An Object gallery] have been taken from the background of child sexual abuse images [in cases which police have not yet been able to solve].
Can you help us recognise these objects?
We specifically want to trace their origin (location/country)."

(Note that a trigger warning says that the images may be distressing for some people, which nearly stopped me from viewing the site at all. But IMO the images are not distressing in themselves. They each show only a small detail, such as a fabric pattern, a bathroom tile, a design on a hat. It's the context of each image which might be the distressing part, IMO - thinking about what is not being shown, for example - and the knowledge that the children have not yet been located and rescued.)

From the AFP media release (03 March 2021):
"If you recognise an object and any details about its origin – be it from a shop, location or time period – please report it via the [Trace An Object] website. You can do so securely and anonymously."
"No clue is too small. Your small tip could be the information we need to rescue a child from significant harm."

Launched today by the Australian Federal Police and the Australian Centre to Counter Child Exploitation:
Stop child abuse - Trace An Object

"We need your help in the fight against online child sexual exploitation.
The [objects in the
Trace An Object gallery] have been taken from the background of child sexual abuse images [in cases which police have not yet been able to solve].
Can you help us recognise these objects?
We specifically want to trace their origin (location/country)."

(Note that a trigger warning says that the images may be distressing for some people, which nearly stopped me from viewing the site at all. But IMO the images are not distressing in themselves. They each show only a small detail, such as a fabric pattern, a bathroom tile, a design on a hat. It's the context of each image which might be the distressing part, IMO - thinking about what is not being shown, for example - and the knowledge that the children have not yet been located and rescued.)

From the AFP media release (03 March 2021):
"If you recognise an object and any details about its origin – be it from a shop, location or time period – please report it via the [Trace An Object] website. You can do so securely and anonymously."
"No clue is too small. Your small tip could be the information we need to rescue a child from significant harm."
Hopefully the media will plaster these images on TV etc .... remember how posting the Patchwork Fabric Blanket in the Khandalyce Pearce case helped solve it ....
I haven't seen it on the news here.... as yet ....

It was mostly a rundown of what we know of William' case - otherwise it just says that FGM moved to Laurieton after she sold the house in Benaroon Dr and she was 88 when she passed. RIP
That must have been hard for her living in Laurieton if she had to see some of the POI’s regularly and wonder if they were the person who took William.
For some reason I had assumed she had stayed living with FM in Sydney. I wish she had.

Gary Jubelin reacts to more heartbreak for the [William Tyrrell] family, 2GB, 08 March 2021

Transcript by me of most of the audio file from 02:35*:
----------
Ben FORDHAM, 2GB: While I've got you on the line, Gary Jubelin - you were the lead investigator on the William Tyrrell case. Very sad news today that his foster grandmother has passed away aged 88, so she's died never knowing what happened to William Tyrrell.

Gary JUBELIN: Yeah, I was aware of that, and that puts it into perspective, doesn't it. And I know it would have given her a great deal of comfort before her passing if she had some answers - what happened to William - but it's such a sad case, that one, that's really touched the hearts of the nation.

Ben FORDHAM: And a reminder there's still a one million dollar reward out there for information about his disappearance.

Gary JUBELIN: Yeah, and the police will never give up on a disappearance like that, and there's always a chance it might be that small piece of information that comes in that gets it across the line, so, you know, they'll continue pushing to get answers for William's family.
----------
*The first part of the audio is about tonight's episode of "Under Investigation with Liz Hayes" (TV) which will investigate the still-unsolved disappearance of Janine Vaughan in Bathurst NSW in 2001.

I have only just become a member but have followed Williams case from beginning as I'm from Australia. I don't have much to add except how much sadness I feel for this sweet boy and all of his family. It bring tears to my eyes when I think of him I can't imagine what this does to his family everyday. I pray for answers for them soon.
MOO

I have only just become a member but have followed Williams case from beginning as I'm from Australia. I don't have much to add except how much sadness I feel for this sweet boy and all of his family. It bring tears to my eyes when I think of him I can't imagine what this does to his family everyday. I pray for answers for them soon.
MOO
Welcome to posting and totally agree with your thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth