FL FL - Landon Lee Deriggi, 13, Miami Shores, 27 July 1973

This July will mark the 35 year anniversary of Landon's disappearance.

Updated Link:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/28dmfl.html

I think it is strange, (according to the link above,) for LE to conclude that if Landon's belongings were found in some hedges that "he was meeting somebody." What items were found? Sadly, I think this poor child was abducted.

Satch

Bumping up for Lanny.
Last week it was 39 years since he went missing.

Forty years have passed since Landon's disappearance.

Bumping

NamUs

It doesn't seem like investigators worked very well on this case back in '73. The initial investigation into his disappearance comes across as vague and kind of passive. It's not a surprise that nothing has ever been established. I'm glad his mother spoke about him; she hasn't forgotten and is dealing with it in her own way. Hopefully she will find out what happened to her son.

this case always interested me. Landon was indeed a very special kid. I really wondered what happeded to him. either some older boys killed him and we're helped to cover it up. possibly an accident or a pedophile lured him away. Landon was hyperactive and lacked common sense plus he was legally blind but refused to wear glasses. this sadly turned out to be a bad compination. I wish we could find more from the original 1973 report.

Don't know if this has been posted yet. Landon's statistics are in red.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2496umfl.html

Unidentified Male

Date of Discovery: September 5, 1975
Location of Discovery: St Petersburg, Pinellas County, Florida (missing from Miami Shores, Miami-Dade County, Florida. 4 hours apart)
Estimated Date of Death: 1970 to 1974 (Missing Since: July 27, 1973)
State of Remains: Not recognizable - Partial skeletal parts only
Cause of Death: Unknown
Physical Description

** Listed information is approximate
Estimated Age: 7-20 years old (Age: 13 years old)
Race: Unknown
Height: Unknown
Weight: Unknown
Hair Color: Unknown
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown
Dentals: Not available.
Fingerprints: Not available.
DNA: Available.

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Unknown
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Case History
A fisherman discovered the victim's partial skull at the mouth of Little Bayou, south of Coquina Key. The skull was encrusted in barnacles.

I just read the article above and I am a little confused.. there are a couple of this that stand out and seem a bit off to me.

He vanished during his family's vacation. They had all spent a couple days camping in the Florida Everglades, roasting hot dogs, hiking paths and fishing.
They returned home late on July 26, about 10 p.m., planning to drive to Disney World the next day.

This makes me wonder if this is what really happened and the parents made it seem like he ran away so they would not get in trouble.

Thirty-years later, the details are fuzzy. Scott, then 29 years old, recalled she was sleeping when Lanny nudged her and asked to go to Barry to play. Yes, she replied. Lanny left the house. She never saw him again.
The mom was 29 which means she was 16 when she had him.. maybe she no longer wanted or could handle him. The article mentions of Lanny blowing up, not doing chores and his behavior beginning to worsen.

Scott admits not calling authorities right away. Lanny usually returned quickly. A day or two passed before she dialed Miami Shores police.
Could they let a couple of days pass to figure out what to say. Yes, I know it was the 1970s.. but the vanishing at the everglades vacation.. just keeps popping up in my head.:eek:

Officers found some of his belongings in the hedges of a near-by house. They speculated he was meeting somebody.
What did they find that made it seem like he was going to meet someone?? Because my mind is someplace else. It makes me wonder if things were planted to make it look like he was going to meet someone.

She is still married to Michael Scott, who took his wife's maiden name.
I am assuming this was the father of Lanny? Since Lanny had a different last name than the mother and the kids born after. Why would he take her name if he was the dad.. why try and disassociate yourself from your missing son?

Everything here is totally My Opinion of things that just stood out to me while I read the article..

Landon Lee Deriggi Missing since 27 July 1973
landon_lee_deriggi_1.jpg
landon_lee_deriggi_2.jpg

Landon, circa 1973; Age-progression to age 51 (circa 2011)

• Missing Since 07/27/1973
  • Missing From Miami Shores, Florida
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Male
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 10/31/1959 (61)
  • Age 13 years old
  • Height and Weight 4'7, 68 pounds
  • Medical Conditions Landon was premature and suffers from related medical problems. He has a deviated septum and his nose appears slanted as a result. He has a learning disability and is severely hyperactive. His vision is also badly impaired; he is legally blind, but refused to wear eyeglasses.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Blond hair, blue eyes. Landon's nickname is Lanny.
Details of Disappearance

Landon was last seen on July 27, 1973 at his family's home in the 400 block of northwest 112th Terrace in Miami Shores, Florida. He and his family returned home from a camping trip to the Everglades Swamp the day before. They planned to visit Disney World that day.

That morning, Landon woke his mother and asked if he could go outside to play. She consented. He left the house and never returned.

Though he is very intelligent, Landon had behavioral problems in 1973. He was bullied in school, had temper tantrums and several times he ran away for short periods. His mother didn't report him missing for a day or two as a result.

Police found some of Landon's belongings in a nearby hedge and speculated he was meeting someone. He has never been heard from again. When his family moved to Georgia in 1977, they left a note behind at their old house giving Landon instructions on how to contact them.

Investigators believe Landon is probably dead, but the circumstances of his disappearance are unclear. His case remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency
  • Miami Shores Police Department 305-759-2468
Source Information

Thirty-years later, the details are fuzzy. Scott, then 29 years old, recalled she was sleeping when Lanny nudged her and asked to go to Barry to play. Yes, she replied. Lanny left the house. She never saw him again.
The mom was 29 which means she was 16 when she had him.. maybe she no longer wanted or could handle him. The article mentions of Lanny blowing up, not doing chores and his behavior beginning to worsen.

Scott admits not calling authorities right away. Lanny usually returned quickly. A day or two passed before she dialed Miami Shores police.
Could they let a couple of days pass to figure out what to say. Yes, I know it was the 1970s.. but the vanishing at the everglades vacation.. just keeps popping up in my head.:eek:

Officers found some of his belongings in the hedges of a near-by house. They speculated he was meeting somebody.
What did they find that made it seem like he was going to meet someone?? Because my mind is someplace else. It makes me wonder if things were planted to make it look like he was going to meet someone.

I am assuming this was the father of Lanny? Since Lanny had a different last name than the mother and the kids born after. Why would he take her name if he was the dad.. why try and disassociate yourself from your missing son?

Everything here is totally My Opinion of things that just stood out to me while I read the article..
I just read the article above and I am a little confused.. there are a couple of this that stand out and seem a bit off to me.

He vanished during his family's vacation. They had all spent a couple days camping in the Florida Everglades, roasting hot dogs, hiking paths and fishing.
They returned home late on July 26, about 10 p.m., planning to drive to Disney World the next day.

This makes me wonder if this is what really happened and the parents made it seem like he ran away so they would not get in trouble.

Editing my response- before I edited I asked where the article was you are referring to. I found it on page one of this thread from 2009.

Was mom, Linda married to Michael Scott when she gave birth to Landon? I’m guessing Michael Scott is not Landon’s father and that Landon’s biological father’s last name is Deriggi.

Last edited:
Editing my response- before I edited I asked where the article was you are referring to. I found it on page one of this thread from 2009.

Was mom, Linda married to Michael Scott when she gave birth to Landon? I’m guessing Michael Scott is not Landon’s father and that Landon’s biological father’s last name is Deriggi.

Yes,I quoted from this very thread correct.

I don’t know if Linda was married to Michael when Landon went missing. I Assumed she was ( but that is just me). The article said she was Still married to Michael. I just thought it was odd that he changed his last name to hers. I have not found who was Landons father.

It's very weird the way (and he moment) he disappeared... I mean, who on earth would run away just before going to Disney World? I read his belongings were located in some hedges... by who? And what belongings were those? It would give us a clue to know the type of things they found, were the normal things you carry when you go out? or may they imply Landon was running away?
Also, shadowangel mentioned John McRae... I also thought he was a good suspect, so I tried to find out his whereabouts from February 2nd, 1972, when he was paroled, until 1976, when he moved to Brevard county. It appears he spent all those years in Detroit, Michigan: "McRae was paroled from prison on February 2, 1972, after spending 21 years behind bars. He then returned to Detroit, where, with the support of his parents, he soon found housing and work. In 1973, he married Barbara Ann Heckman, who gave birth to his son Martin in 1974. The following year, McRae was finally allowed to leave Michigan, moving to Brevard County, Florida to work as a guard at a juvenile detention facility."

I worked at SSA - my career job. I worked at our 1-800 # in Ft Lauderdale, FL. 1 day I got a phone call from the lead man in Miami Shores police dept. He told me "We KNOW that Landon Deriggi's father murdered him but we haven't been able to prove it." He gave me his birth father's FULL NAME, BIRTHDATE, place of birth, his parents name, places he worked at. I used to know a very bad criminal & knew how to think like they do. The head detective told me Landon's father had taken off, disappeared & the police were at a dead end - unable to find out where Landon's father was because no earnings showed up on his record. I did a search thinking "what would someone do if they were in Landon's father's situation?" So I did a search for another Social Security Number using Landon's father's - HIS MOTHERS MAIDEN LAST NAME & his birthdate & got a result! There were earnings under the other SSN & I could pull up the detailed earnings record that shows employers name, etc. However because I couldn't see face to face the lead investigator & see a warrant to get information, my hands were tied. Believe me, I wanted to give the cop that info!
I am still not able to give anyone the EXACT INFO I FOUND OUT DUE TO The Privacy Act. I DK why on here or anywhere they're saying the father was still with the mother but he wasn't according to the lead investigator. I could lose my pension if I tell even now because you are not allowed to tell certain information regarding some government things. If anyone reads this you can pass on this info regarding Landon's father. Tell Miami Shores, FL to look for Landon's father under his Mother's maiden last name!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MomTuTu
Back