Found Deceased UK - Sarah Everard, 33, London - Clapham Common area, 3 March 2021 *Arrests* #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. Night shift and finished at 07.00hrs.
He finished the 1400hrs to 20.00hrs shift when he was arrested the following week.
There is nothing stating the hours he worked on the day he was arrested. The police entered his property at 8pm when he was home so he can't have worked until 8pm and took the 1.5 hour drive home and been at home at 8pm

Regarding the rookie cop guarding SE's murder scene who was reported for sending inappropriate WhatsApp messages, the Daily Mail has revealed that he allegedly "shared a meme showing images of a uniformed officer abducting a woman".

PC guarding Sarah Everard murder scene 'sent inappropriate WhatsApp messages to colleagues' | Daily Mail Online

On a day in which the government are unveiling plans to put undercover plainclothes officers in bars and nightclubs in response to SE's murder, I'm not sure women will draw much comfort from the new plans. Imagine the wrong cop being assigned that job.

New safety measures after Sarah Everard death

Interesting on the choice of barrister - is it usual for a QC be appointed if you had legal aid? Or would this be a choice of the accused?

‘He has acted in more than 50 murders in his career as a junior and as a leader, with issues ranging from diminished responsibility, insanity, provocation and self defence as well as a denial of any responsibility whatsoever.’

https://www.jimsturmanqc.com/top-qc...-qc/homicide-murder-manslughter-barrister-qc/

There is a limit on how long someone can be held on remand awaiting trial.

I’m not sure if the Custody Time Limits have changed due to Covid19 but I recall the figure being approximately half a year/180 odd days but October 25th exceeds that.

A provisional date for trial is normally given at this stage to show that the CTL is being borne in mind & ensure barrister availability for a chunk of time. It doesn’t preclude a suspect pleading guilty & a trial being avoided.

Prisoners who are remanded to custody at preliminary hearing are going to be given precedence over those on bail because of CTL rules in my opinion. MOO JMO

Interesting on the choice of barrister - is it usual for a QC be appointed if you had legal aid? Or would this be a choice of the accused?

‘He has acted in more than 50 murders in his career as a junior and as a leader, with issues ranging from diminished responsibility, insanity, provocation and self defence as well as a denial of any responsibility whatsoever.’

Homicide

Think they will make most of their money from legal aid. Tried linking an article but it wouldn't work where it said he made over £1 million in one year from legal aid fees alone.

There is nothing stating the hours he worked on the day he was arrested. The police entered his property at 8pm when he was home so he can't have worked until 8pm and took the 1.5 hour drive home and been at home at 8pm
Could be right, I'm just going on earlier MSM reports from last week, the police had waited until he got home and then arrested him about 10pm.

Homicide

Cases involving ‘diminished responsibility & insanity...’ - that says it all IMO

Edit to add: he is building a case that he is insane (due to headbanging, swaying to and fro and asking to have firearms removed). This was all after the event though so screams of a pretence.

Last edited:
Think they will make most of their money from legal aid. Tried linking an article but it wouldn't work where it said he made over £1 million in one year from legal aid fees alone.

Sorry this is probably a really stupid question but I don’t know about these subjects so I do apologise in advance if your all hitting your heads against your keyboards.

He has a really good job which would pay well and his wife seemingly also has a great paying job. (Imo)

So would he be entitled to free legal aide or will his lawyer have to be paid for him by?

Homicide

Unlikely for WC to have chosen him.
Barristers/QCs work on the taxi for hire principle. Next one up gets the job. I will try and re find the article someone posted on another case, it's a useful read.

Cab-rank rule
In English law (and other countries which adopt the rule), the cab-rank rule is the obligation of a barrister to accept any work in a field in which they profess themselves competent to practise, at a court at which they normally appear, and at their usual rates. The rule derives its name from the tradition by which a Hackney carriage driver at the head of a queue of taxicabs is obliged to take the first passenger requesting a ride.

The cab rank rule is set out at rC29 of the Bar Standards Board Handbook. It states that if the barrister receives instructions from a professional client and the instructions are appropriate taking into account their experience, seniority and/or field of practice, they must (subject to the exceptions in rC30) accept those instructions irrespective of:

1. The identity of the client;
  2. The nature of the case to which the instructions relate;
  3. Whether the client is paying privately or is publicly funded; and
  4. Any belief or opinion which you may have formed as to the character, reputation, cause, conduct, guilt or innocence of the client.[1]
Without the cab-rank rule, an unpopular person might not get legal representation; barristers who acted for them might be criticised for doing so.

Addressing the continued necessity for the rule in 2010, the Law Society of England and Wales, which represents solicitors, together with The Bar Council said:

The Society questions whether the cab-rank rule remains a necessary and proportionate rule for the Bar at a time when there is increasing competition for advocacy services.

— Law Society of England and Wales, The Bar Council[2]

Sorry this is probably a really stupid question but I don’t know about these subjects so I do apologise in advance if your all hitting your heads against your keyboards.

He has a really good job which would pay well and his wife seemingly also has a great paying job.

So would he be entitled to free legal aide or will his lawyer have to be paid for him by?

I think it is means tested in some way but the more serious the case the more likely they are to qualify regardless of income I believe (could be really wrong on that though). I think the vast majority of people would not be able to pay for their defence in a high profile murder case but they all seem to have a QC so I suspect they all get it?

Homicide

yes it is usual to get a QC on legal aid when you are facing a murder charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk