Identified! TX - Pecos, WhtFem, 17-20, UP13480, in motel swimming pool Jul'66 - Jolaine Hemmy

Funny thing is that if I type in the route from Kansas City to Las Vegas on Google, it suggests a very similar route close to the Mexican border to me, instead of going through Colorado. So it is entirely possible they planned to go to Las Vegas and not to Mexico.

At least the authorities know where to look for the male...in the Kansas City, KS area as of 1966. Previously they had no idea where they came from. Obviously the first place to check would be fellow employees of that drive-in diner, if those records still exist. Even if he didn't work there perhaps other employees might remember who Joliane was seen with. Of course, all of this investigation should have been done in 1966.

Call me confused, but how does Kansas City KS keep coming up in the thread? The decedent is from Salina KS, yes? And the UI male took the hotel registration card with him? Salina KS is 175 miles west of Kansas City KS.
MOO

I still think she was groomed by this man and went voluntarily with him. She was a shy girl from a farm and now living and working in simple jobs in Kansas. Maybe he pretended to be a photographer, movie or show producer and take her to Las Vegas and make her famous. Of course since her family would not like it, she would have to be quiet to them about it all.. Or maybe he confessed his "love" and said he would marry her and give her a beautiful life.

He may have done the same to other young women in the past (not necessarily killing them but leaving them after a while after using them). Jolaine was vulnerable. Shy, quiet, very young and probably a little bit unhappy in her diner job. And she knew she was good looking. Ideal candidate for a predator.

Everything went according to plan until she had the accident. Apparently he did not even know she was dead as he continued to send postcards in her name the following weeks. He did not want to take responsibility and also he lied about their relationship, lied about their name and was with a girl below the age of consent.

It seems logical to me that he might sent postcards/letters in her name, even if he knew she was dead. He may have known that she had no identification with her—so pointing the search in a different direction would seem important.

I mean that he might suspect or guess that she would not be immediately identified.

Last edited:
From my understanding, she grew up in Salina, but had moved to Kansas City some time before she disappeared. It has been brought up by various sources. But maybe that is a wrong information, she was 17... not exactly the age yet to leave your tightly knit big and loving family... but it said she worked with her sister? So maybe they moved together?

Call me confused, but how does Kansas City KS keep coming up in the thread? The decedent is from Salina KS, yes? And the UI male took the hotel registration card with him? Salina KS is 175 miles west of Kansas City KS.
MOO

From my understanding, she grew up in Salina, but had moved to Kansas City some time before she disappeared. It has been brought up by various sources. But maybe that is a wrong information, she was 17... not exactly the age yet to leave your tightly knit big and loving family... but it said she worked with her sister? So maybe they moved together?

This is correct. After high school, she moved in with an older sister and was working at a diner.

Thank you for the explanation. I missed it somewhere. So she actually was living in KCK and left from there.

Excellent and well-written story by Michael Hardy. So they were together by the pool, where they had stopped on their way back from Las Vegas (after not getting married), he had been drinking and shortly after that she was at the bottom of the pool with a facial injury, broken glass was nearby and the control freak, according to Jolaine's sister, was feigning taking a nap. IMO.

Excellent and well-written story by Michael Hardy. So they were together by the pool, where they had stopped on their way back from Las Vegas (after not getting married), he had been drinking and shortly after that she was at the bottom of the pool with a facial injury, broken glass was nearby and the control freak, according to Jolaine's sister, was feigning taking a nap. IMO.

I wish Michael could write about every story we are involved in.

WOW! A well written article for starters. But dang... so much new info. It brought tears to my eyes.

This girl is not known to us here, but most certainly she is known to God,” the minister told the assembled mourners. “If there is someone, somewhere, who cares for this girl, may they know she is now surrounded in love by those who care.

Great article! A lot of new information I've never heard about.

Maybe Jolaine sisters and/or friends will remember some info on the guy. Although, even if he is found and still alive I doubt he could be charged with anything.
I don't understand why couldn't he just send a letter to Jolaine's family about her fate, or her name to the police. Especially if this really was an accident.

The writing on her foot is weird though. It's a lot more common to write things on your hand.

I would say that he was anyway in an illegal relationship as Jolaine was below age of consent. He may have been drunk and hit her and she fell into the pool (but why would she be wearing a bathing suit?). Or if he had nothing to do with it, he would still be questioned as prime suspect. Maybe he was married. It probably all got too hot for him and he panicked and left, hoping nobody would track him down.

Great article! A lot of new information I've never heard about.

Maybe Jolaine sisters and/or friends will remember some info on the guy. Although, even if he is found and still alive I doubt he could be charged with anything.
I don't understand why couldn't he just send a letter to Jolaine's family about her fate, or her name to the police. Especially if this really was an accident.

The writing on her foot is weird though. It's a lot more common to write things on your hand.

I would say that he was anyway in an illegal relationship as Jolaine was below age of consent. He may have been drunk and hit her and she fell into the pool (but why would she be wearing a bathing suit?). Or if he had nothing to do with it, he would still be questioned as prime suspect. Maybe he was married. It probably all got too hot for him and he panicked and left, hoping nobody would track him down.
My thought was she was in the bathing suit to sunbathe by the pool. My grandmother never learned to swim and would occasionally hang out in the shallow end up to her waist but never went past her ribs.

For some unknown reason I believe Jolaine didn’t meet with foul play. Maybe that’s wishful thinking, but I do I feel that way. I think this was all an awful accident. I’d also like to think “Mr. Battoun” will someday come forward. Or at least…be remorseful.

WOW! A well written article for starters. But dang... so much new info. It brought tears to my eyes.

This girl is not known to us here, but most certainly she is known to God,” the minister told the assembled mourners. “If there is someone, somewhere, who cares for this girl, may they know she is now surrounded in love by those who care.

That was so beautiful and such touching words for a girl none of the mourners knew. If only the while world worked this way :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back