OH - Dr. William Husel accused of murdering 25 patients w/ Fentanyl Overdoses, Franklin Co, 2019 *not guilty*

Our ICU and ED nurses push/drip fentanyl frequently. I’ve ordered a lot of it but never personally administered it.

Thanks for the insight. Can you tell us, do most hospitals have some sort of standard written policy about how to medicate terminally ill patients who are being taken off life support? Are there established guidelines about how to administer drugs like fentanyl to ease suffering without causing overdose and death? It seems like a fine line.

Do most hospitals have a peer review - type process for determining when patients should be removed from life support? I assume so, since patients and families are required have advance directives about end of life care, etc.

Ohio Hospital Association | Ohio Hospital Association

If those policies were in place, shouldn't we assume there was a professional consensus of some kind about removing these patients from life support? When that takes place, is there some kind of discussion for each patient about next steps, guidelines for pain and other medications and amounts?

I think this thread was incorrectly moved to the Recently Sentenced forum. I have found nothing to indicate Dr. Husel was convicted and/or sentenced.

The latest news I can find is an article from January stating his trial has been set for May 10, 2021. He faces 19 counts of murder.

Mount Carmel deaths: Dr. William Husel could face fewer murder counts

I do remember that back in the mid 1980's, Ohio State University Hospital in Columbus had the same problem with an intern by the name of Michael Swango.

Several patients had died at University Hospital under mysterious circumstances where Michael Swango worked as a floor intern.

But due to lack of physical evidence, prosecutors in Columbus weren't able to charge Michael Swango with murder.

I also remember that this was a major story all over the Columbus news media back then.

Source:

Michael Swango - Wikipedia
Yes, I remember that, I live in Columbus.

I know this isn't exactly on topic but I feel it applies as it shows how bad the Mt Carmel hospitals are. Multiple lawsuits already filed. Like I said locals that worked on this building tried like crazy to warn everyone how poorly built this new building was. No one would listen. I wouldn't take my dog to any Mt Carmel hospital. Hubby went there one time years ago and was miss diagnosed. After that I said never again and started taking him to OSU

Mount Carmel Grove City Legionnaires’ outbreak result of improperly disinfected hot water system
The legionaries cases were at the new hospital in Grove City Ohio, (My husband was a patient there at the time of the break out) not the one where Husel worked. The old hospital was very old.

I was watching the 11:00 PM local news tonight and WSYX-TV is reporting that the trial for Dr. William Husel which was to be held next month has been delayed again and likely won't be held until sometime during the middle of 2022.

The judge who is presiding in the Husel trial said that on his current docket, he had twenty other homicide cases where jailed defendants were waiting to have their trial.

The judge explained that due to the huge increase in the number of homicide cases, jailed defendants currently awaiting trial on homicide charges were a higher priority than unjailed defendants awaiting trial on homicide charges.

The anchor on WSYX news mentioned that there were 174 homicides in Columbus during the year 2020, and that there were currently 52 homicides in Columbus so far this year.

Source:

Trial date for Dr. William Husel likely to not be set until 2022 due to spike in violence

I was watching the 11:00 PM local news tonight and WSYX-TV is reporting that the trial for Dr. William Husel which was to be held next month has been delayed again and likely won't be held until sometime during the middle of 2022.

The judge who is presiding in the Husel trial said that on his current docket, he had twenty other homicide cases where jailed defendants were waiting to have their trial.

The judge explained that due to the huge increase in the number of homicide cases, jailed defendants currently awaiting trial on homicide charges were a higher priority than unjailed defendants awaiting trial on homicide charges.

The anchor on WSYX news mentioned that there were 174 homicides in Columbus during the year 2020, and that there were currently 52 homicides in Columbus so far this year.

Source:

Trial date for Dr. William Husel likely to not be set until 2022 due to spike in violence
There is a homicide nearly everyday in Columbus, Ohio. I bet the courts are backed up and not getting any better with covid postponing hearings.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back