Found Deceased Australia - Russell Hill, 74, & Carol Clay, 72, Wonnangatta Valley, 20 March 2020 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently there are septic toilets at Wonnangatta Station. I wonder if the pair went up there first, a little historical tour, before pitching tent a few kilometres back at Dry River Creek.

"Today the area is part of the Alpine National Park, and is only accessible by Four-wheel drive, dirt bike, horse or on foot. The station remains a popular offroad destination and has numerous facilities for campers, including septic toilets and concrete fire pits." Wonnangatta Station 4x4 Trip Weekend

Last edited:
Yes, reading between the lines that's the feeling I get. That they have someone in mind.
That's also the impression I got from them saying they need to rule out the elderly couple seen after the disappearance as possibly Russell and Carol. Like they're now focussing on eliminating reasonable doubt with regard to a time-specific scenario.

I still think that the "elderly" people people seen, either weren't elderly. Ie to someone much younger, even a 50 year old would seem elderly.

And that a possible reason they didn't come forward is maybe that even if they had seen the police request, they wouldn't think for a second that it meant them. Because they don't think that they are elderly or even think they could be described as an older couple.

Last edited:
I still think that the "elderly" people people seen, either weren't elderly. Ie to someone much younger, even a 50 year old would seem elderly.

And that a possible reason they didn't come forward is maybe that even if they had seen the police request, they wouldn't think for a second that it meant them. Because they don't think that they are elderly or even think they could be described as an older couple.
Great point. Actually, were they even together, like driving together, or--what was it--just using the toilets at the same time? Perhaps spoke a few words to each other as polite strangers.

My recollection was that an older woman was seen either waiting at the long drop toilet or going into it.

Just seached and found this.
New sightings of missing Victorian campers

An older lady was spotted at a long drop toilet at Black Snake Creek on March 22.

An older couple was also seen driving out from Blake Snake Creek Hut on March 22, with the woman wearing lipstick and looking out of place.

An older couple was also seen near the Eaglevale River crossing and campsite on March 22.

Great point. Actually, were they even together, like driving together, or--what was it--just using the toilets at the same time? Perhaps spoke a few words to each other as polite strangers.

What if, and only what if, the white dual cab ute was their getaway car? What if it had been stashed or picked up on the way? What if this is the reason everyone in the area has been accounted for except the owner of the ute?

Carol Clay, Russell Hill theories emerge a year after couple went missing in the Wonnangatta Valley
Police believe they’re “close” to figuring out how a Victorian couple disappeared from their tent more than a year ago, with one friend suggesting a sinister link in the case.

“It might seem like only a very small possibility that those in the white ute will have information about Russell and Carol’s disappearance but we can’t afford to leave any stone unturned,” he told the program.

The vehicle was seen at a public toilet in the valley the day before the pair last made contact with friends.

Disturbing theory on how couple ‘vanished’

Carol Clay, Russell Hill theories emerge a year after couple went missing in the Wonnangatta Valley
Police believe they’re “close” to figuring out how a Victorian couple disappeared from their tent more than a year ago, with one friend suggesting a sinister link in the case.

“It might seem like only a very small possibility that those in the white ute will have information about Russell and Carol’s disappearance but we can’t afford to leave any stone unturned,” he told the program.

The vehicle was seen at a public toilet in the valley the day before the pair last made contact with friends.

Can they please tell us whether it was one of the POIs who saw it?

What if, and only what if, the white dual cab ute was their getaway car? What if it had been stashed or picked up on the way? What if this is the reason everyone in the area has been accounted for except the owner of the ute?

They both kept the affair a secret for decades for some unknown reason, so it is possible they just couldn’t break the news to their families and they couldn’t continue the facade any longer.
It was a strange thing to do taking off in secret together so it almost seems feasible.
What if one of them had a terminal illness and they both wanted peace and quiet together alone to see it through.

If that was the case ? Then there would be a third party involved who hasn't come forward saying it was bought from them , borrowed from them . Who would be prepared to go to that length for them

Police are also investigating if the couple were ambushed early considering the toilet at their campsite had been unused, suggesting the pair had only spent a short amount of time in the area before their deaths.

But in a horrifying twist, the couple’s campsite was found burnt to the ground with their tent destroyed and their sleeping bags missing.

“The fact that it's been reported that those sleeping bags were missing, makes me feel that those sleeping bags were carted out of there and... used as body bags,” Mr Ashlin said.

“There are a lot of places – the country is very rugged – where they can be got rid of, never to be found again.”

Carol was ready to start a new life living with him, but he backed out.

I remember it being discussed here quite awhile ago now.

"At the last minute" is what I think his good friend said. IIRC
I wonder what Russell's last minute reason for backing out was. And if that has anything to do with the police foul-play suspicions.

it seems russell was very devoted to carol, and odd/sad they had to live their lives together in secret for 20 or so years, it must have been a strain having to lie all the time and hard for carol on the camping trips possibly knowing the other men disapproved of her being there, very awkward, did she enjoy camping or was that the only place they could be together? why didnt russell keep his promise to her, he didnt have young children to stay for and people get divorced all the time? what would have been the repercussions of him leaving his wife i wonder?

Maybe he just couldn't do it to his wife and family. Ie pull the rug out from under their lives.

Also we don't know if Russell did make a promise to Carol. But I can see it going on like that, saying one day we'll be together, now is not the right time, someone in the family isn't well. Wait until whatever.
It won't be long, we will be together.

Carol must have really loved him to accept a life that had to be hidden from everyone.
Maybe Carols new house might be a clue that it might have been going to happen.

So near and yet so far.

Last edited:
"At the last minute" is what I think his good friend said. IIRC
I wonder what Russell's last minute reason for backing out was. And if that has anything to do with the police foul-play suspicions.

She had divorced her husband for RH and bought a new house out of the settlement for her and RH to move into together. He pulled out.

Her neighbour had said he'd seen RH at her new property often. He was there to wave them off and was the last person to see them.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...days-before-camping-trip-20200422-p54m7y.html

A woman who went missing with a family friend on a camping trip in Victoria's high country last month was happily talking to friends about her grandchildren and had settled on a brand new property in Melbourne's south-east a week before the pair's mysterious disappearance.

Ms Clay, a mother of three who separated from her partner several years ago, had for several months been living by herself in a new Pakenham home when she left with Mr Hill to go camping.

The property, built in the past year and close to Pakenham shops and train station, settled on March 12, seven days before the pair left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahlm8627