Found Deceased Australia - Russell Hill, 74, & Carol Clay, 72, Wonnangatta Valley, 20 March 2020 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
It does sound like Russell pulling out of moving in was a very recent thing as Carol had only lived in the house a few months.

Maybe Russell had promised her they would spend their remaining years living together.

If it was me, I wouldn't have felt very happy about Russell not going through with moving in.

Last edited:
It does sound like Russell pulling out of moving in was a very recent thing as Carol had only lived in the house a few months.

Maybe Russell had promised her they would spend their remaining years living together.

If it was me, I wouldn't have felt very happy about Russell not going through with moving in.

This is why at first I thought it may have been a suicide pact or god forbid he did something to her on their overnight stopover before reaching Wonnongatta.

I was curious to see if she actually did arrived with RH at the camp. The only thing we have to prove anything, is her clothes were in the truck.

Why would a couple keep such a secret?
Old fashioned religious reasons?
Fear? Fear of whom? Family, friends?

If they loved each other why didn't they come out of the closet?
Or they just felt happy to meet up every once in a while to be together.
Just my opinion, but there are some romantic beliefs that younger people have, that people who've been through a longbterm marriage/divorce no longer hold.

She purchased the house for him or was he expected to put some money towards the home.
He backed out because he couldn't afford it or he was fearful of someone.

I'm holding my breath waiting to know if the murderer was known to one of them.

She purchased the house for him or was he expected to put some money towards the home.
He backed out because he couldn't afford it or he was fearful of someone.

I'm holding my breath waiting to know if the murderer was known to one of them.

I think that Russell's friend knows more than he has revealed to the media. He seems convinced that a "3rd party" has murdered Russell and Carol. He is the one who has provided the clues. And I imagine he has provided the finer details to the police.

Russell is said to be a 'wealthy man' and Carol is said to be comfortably financially situated.

Forensic testing has revealed the pair never used the toilet set up at their campsite in the Wonnangatta Valley, which is why investigators believe whatever happened to them was carried out within an 18-hour-window, shortly after Mr Hill finished a final radio call about 6:30pm on March 20 last year.
Campsite clue that could solve mystery of disappearing couple

156458_t60-luxe-white.jpg

Police believe the occupants or occupant of a ute similar to this could be the last to see Russell Hill and Carol Clay alive.

Campsite clue that could solve mystery of disappearing couple

I think that Russell's friend knows more than he has revealed to the media. He seems convinced that a "3rd party" has murdered Russell and Carol. He is the one who has provided the clues. And I imagine he has provided the finer details to the police.

Russell is said to be a 'wealthy man' and Carol is said to be comfortably financially situated.

I remember delving into the camping photos with his mates and they all had similar utes.

She had divorced her husband for RH and bought a new house out of the settlement for her and RH to move into together. He pulled out.

Her neighbour had said he'd seen RH at her new property often. He was there to wave them off and was the last person to see them.
Did she divorce her husband for RH? Or was it for other reasons entirely? The husband might have become an ill-tempered gambler. You may be right but I don't remember reading Carol's reasons. I'm also not sure about linking a divorce settlement with the house purchase--not sure that the divorce was so recent; perhaps she'd owned her own house previously.

I was thinking the same thing re how recent was the divorce.
It was said that Russell and Carol had got back together 20 years ago yet the house purchase bought with the settement money was only last year.
And if she only left her husband in the last several years, does that mean both Russell and Carol were living a life kept secret from their wife and husband.

Yes and what makes Russell's friend so sure it was nothing to do with the drone.

I did notice he said his friends want to go and search but he didn't seem so keen on the idea.
I would hope he has told the police if he has any suspicions of a particular person.

I imagine we're all going to feel like we let our imaginations run wild, if they are found and it turns out to be natural causes. Ie a fall down into a spot they couldn't get out of.

Maybe the adrenalin from buying the house and in my opinion, the time he backed out may have been a previous house.
I'm thinking they may have felt a new lease of life and the drone did get away and they went looking for it.
In the meantime a group of vandals destroyed their campsite.

For now though, our imaginations and very few clues are all we have to go on.

I've seen the unit on the news in Pakenham set close too other unit's. RH strikes me as the type who'd like his space hence in the HC a lot, plus he space on a property to tinker around cars n stuff , he could have been reluctant.. plus other reasons

I don't know Russell but from seeing photos of him and knowing he liked the outdoors and the space, I can't imagine him being happy living in a unit, even a larger sized one, just for the reasons you've said.
Maybe he realised this and could very well be a reason he might back out.

I've seen the unit on the news in Pakenham set close too other unit's. RH strikes me as the type who'd like his space hence in the HC a lot, plus he space on a property to tinker around cars n stuff , he could have been reluctant.. plus other reasons

Just a thought... When Carol got her own new home, and perhaps had set it up for Russell and her personal use and comfort, why would they still have to camp in remote wilderness in order to be discreet? To her mind, maybe this would be last time she had wanted to get away to conduct their relationship.

Moo
Edit: Sorry did not see Marchalot's post about the unit

My thoughts are that at least to Russell, the camping had been part of his life for many years.

He did it because he really enjoyed it, not just because it was a way to be with Carol.
I have a feeling she would have enjoyed just the being with Russell wherever they were.
I doubt very much he would ever give up the camping, unless he became too unwell to do it.

I have a feeling that if Russell had moved in he would still want to continue camping and if Carol didn't want to go, she would have lost the chance to be with him. I don't think it would be fair to ask him to give up his beloved camping and live in a box.
I couldn't see the relationship surviving if Carol had stopped going with him even if they did live together.
She would sort of be like the wife left behind, probably listening to the ham radio every night at 6pm.

A sure way for love to die.

Just a thought... When Carol got her own new home, and perhaps had set it up for Russell and her personal use and comfort, why would they still have to camp in remote wilderness in order to be discreet? To her mind, maybe this would be last time she had wanted to get away to conduct their relationship.

Moo

Who knows when Carol decided to buy the unit. She could have decided to buy it after Russell backed out. If they had any mutual plans prior to that it may have involved living together elsewhere.

Because Russell backed out 'at the last minute' doesn't necessarily mean he backed out right before they went on their camping trip, or when Carol decided to buy her unit.

Carol might have sold her house (if she had one) with the intention of buying a bigger country property with Russell, and then he backed out for whatever reason, so she bought her unit.

Last edited:
If Carol and Russell were living together, and just say that she hated the camping and stayed home and listened out for the 6pm radio session.

Let's say it was me and Russell started being away week after week. Even though I knew he loved the camping, maybe deep down I had thought that he loved me more, and would spend more time at home.
If he didn't and just kept going away, I think my love for him would change and I might start to wonder if he is alone on those trips.
I might start thinking of one of my girlfriends who seems to get on well with Russell and start to wonder why every time Russell goes away, my girlfriend goes away as well, up the coast to see family or so she says.

Not advancing any ideas into what happened but I suddenly wondered what might have happened if they did live together.

Last edited:
Yes.. just thinking along the lines of, change being a source of stress for most people, and even a source of conflict, even if it is internalised. Even for long time love birds.

Not that I know how that would explain "disappearing together".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23