NY NY - Marilyn Jean Mara, 35, Ridgewood, June 1, 1990

NamUs
Nickname/AliasTerry Anderson, Terry Gibbs, Jenette Jimenez, Marilyn Jimenez, Marilyn Tottenham, Kacy Mara, Janet O'Brien, Diane Williams, Marilyn Tusa, Marilyn MaraRoman

This surname seems too odd to be a coincidence

Name: Marilyn J Mara
Race: White
Birth Year: abt 1955
Residence Place: Bridgeport, FairField, Connecticut, USA
Marriage Date: 3 May 1986
Marriage Place: Bridgeport, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA
Spouse: Michael P Tottenham

Why so many aliases?

Also, I wonder if she's been compared to the unidentified victims of Rifkin and Shulman?
I actually called the suffolk county homicide division today to find out. The investigator took my name and phone number and said he needed to get familiar with those cases and he would give me a call back as some point

NamUs
Nickname/AliasTerry Anderson, Terry Gibbs, Jenette Jimenez, Marilyn Jimenez, Marilyn Tottenham, Kacy Mara, Janet O'Brien, Diane Williams, Marilyn Tusa, Marilyn MaraRoman

This surname seems too odd to be a coincidence
What do you mean that this surname seems too odd to be a coincidence? That was my mothers name and those are all of the aliases she used when she was getting arrested in NY and Conn for soliciting and prostitution

Race: White
Birth Year: abt 1955
Residence Place: Bridgeport, FairField, Connecticut, USA
Marriage Date: 3 May 1986
Marriage Place: Bridgeport, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA
Spouse: Michael P Tottenham

I *think that one is Marilyn Joanne Mara. It’s hard to be sure. Not 100% sure of the Jimenez one as it’s a common name but does tie in.
Hi. No, that's not her. I have all her records and stuff of Ancestry. I put my dna on there also and have a family tree there and also any of her previous addresses, her marriage records and all of that kind of stuff that I had found there. She was always around when I was growing up so I have all of her info until she went missing in 1990

Found a marriage in 1984, ties with a aliases surname. If her did they divorce?

Marriage License Date: 1984
Marriage License Place: Manhattan, New York City, New York, USA
Spouse: Hugo Jimenez
License Number: 8128
Yes, this one is her. She married him but never got divorced and then got married again to a man named Mike P Tottenham in 1986

I will also share in my Missing group.
Thank you very much. Im new to this site and have no idea what I'm doing. Literally no idea. I only came across this website when I was googling my mothers name after putting her info on namus and saw that her info was now on here.. I'm going to have to try to figure out how to navigate on here because i would also like to try to help other people find their missing family members if possible. I have learned so much about records and research from being on this journey for so long already. I emailed this site as you suggested to become an insider to my mothers case. Thank you for that advice. You have no idea how much i appreciate it

<modsnip: Quoted post removed due to personal contact information>

Thank you! This address is about half a mile from where Sandra Costillo lived in Ridgewood when she was found murdered on Long Island in 1993. It is believed John Bittrolff killed her and he may be the Long Island Serial Killer. Sandra lived at 1704 Gates Ave and she may have been picked up or abducted by her killer in Queens

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a reason this thread was moved from the missing section into cold cases? from what i understand, the ''cold cases'' section is for victims whose remains have been recovered.
Strange. Did you report it? Maybe it was moved by mistake?
I actually called the suffolk county homicide division today to find out. The investigator took my name and phone number and said he needed to get familiar with those cases and he would give me a call back as some point
I'm both glad and saddened you are looking into these possibilities. If I remember correctly, Suffolk Co. PD, alongside with Nassau Co. PD, was the investigating LE when the Long Island Serial Killer (LISK) case was rolling up about a decade ago, as mentioned by Murder Inc. in the post above mine. Several of LISK's victims are still unidentified.

Several of the unidentified victims of Rifkin and Shulman have their own discussion threads in the Unidentified forum here on Websleuths (WS). Do you want me to make a post gathering those threads here?

I took the liberty of collecting the WS threads on the serial killers that's already been mentioned so far in the thread. I must warn you: There are some really graphic content (descriptions) in these threads. These guys were just sick, in the right meaning of the word.

Joel Rifkin's WS thread:
NY - NY/NJ - JOEL RIFKIN Pre 1994

Robert Shulman's WS thread:
NY - NY - ROBERT SHULMAN, Suffolk County, 1990's

Long Island Serial Killer's WS subforum:
Long Island Serial Killer

A collection of New York serial killer cases threads on WS:
Serial Killers

Thank you very much. Im new to this site and have no idea what I'm doing. Literally no idea. I only came across this website when I was googling my mothers name after putting her info on namus and saw that her info was now on here.. I'm going to have to try to figure out how to navigate on here because i would also like to try to help other people find their missing family members if possible. I have learned so much about records and research from being on this journey for so long already. I emailed this site as you suggested to become an insider to my mothers case. Thank you for that advice. You have no idea how much i appreciate it

Hi and welcome. I don't have much to add, just that I hang around in the unidentified remains forum a lot and if there's anything I can do to help, just ask. There are a number of unidentified women who died in New York in that era, so hopefully we can find your mother soon.

Welcome to websleuths Tanya.. my heart goes out to you. I pray you find the closure you have been looking for and finding your mom. Lots of hugs. Thank you for wanting to help others and sharing your experiences.

As Marilyn's daughter, Tanya Papagiannakis has been Verified as a family member.

If you haven't already done so, please welcome Tanya to the discussion. As with all VI's, Tanya does not have to provide links to what she states as facts. Please be respectful toward our VI at all times, and do not argue with them or challenge them in any way. (We know folks are always respectful, but we have to say it anyway ;)).

Thank you to Tanya and to everyone else who is here to discuss Marilyn's disappearance. Hopefully this discussions can help toward resolution in this long standing case.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419
Back