IN IN - Diamond Bynum, 21, & King Walker, 2, Gary, 25 July 2015

Bynum and Walker disappeared in 2015 while visiting a relative's home in Gary.

Bynum, who is developmentally disabled, was 21 at the time. Her nephew was just two.

Bynum's 27th birthday was Thursday.

"Somebody out there knows something, why they have not come forward is beyond me," said family friend Kathy Clement.

The family had celebrated after the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children shared an age progression image of how King may look like now. So far, that's generated few leads.
Renewed plea in case of missing Gary woman and nephew, nearly 6 years later

Family Holds Out Hope That Missing Child, Woman Will Someday be Found

May 11 2021
Tuesday marks King Walker’s 8th birthday, and although it’s been six years since the child disappeared with his aunt Diamond Bynum, his family still believes that they are both still alive.

Walker and his aunt were last seen in Gary, Indiana in July 2016.

Walker has never given up hope that someday she would see her daughter and grandson again.

“I still go out and pass out flyers,” she said.

The family still misses the jokes and laughter that would always surround them when they were all gathered together, and they still hold out hope that someday they may experience that again.

Anyone with information on the disappearance is encouraged to call Gary police, or to call 1-800-THE-LOST.

So incredulous these two have not been located. I'm wondering if, at some point, they became separated and are apart or were tragically killed or are being harbored-either or both of them. So vulnerable are they both. And unfortunately with so much time having passed the case has lost press coverage. We at WS and other missing persons advocates must continue to share posters and keep even older cases in the news. On some sites people post prayers but I always reply "please also share as well!" Diamond and King, I hope you will be found safe! Six years missing today...

6-year anniversary of disappearance of Gary woman Diamond Bynum and nephew King Walker

July 25, 2021
Today marks six years since their disappearance
and the family is still asking for the public's help to find them.

The pair went missing on July 25, 2015, while visiting a relative's home in Gary, Indiana.

As the family clings to the belief that they are still alive somewhere, their frustration with the investigation grows as the case goes cold.

The family said they've decided to look to Chicago to once again plead for help to find their missing relatives.

Relatives have floated the idea of hiring a private investigator but haven't been able to get the needed police records because it's still an active case.

No one from the Gary Police Department could be reached for comment.

Every time I think of cold cases, I think of this one.How can not one, but two kids be missing? (I know Diamond was an adult but had the capabilities of a kid.) Both were so vulnerable. This is one of the very few cases that I actually entertain the thought of possible trafficking...Because otherwise, wouldn't at least one of their bodies have been found?

I think of them often, too, and find it difficult to believe no one reported seeing a challenged adult with a small child wandering around. At one point, one or both of them had to be in distress. They should have stuck out. And if Diamond was adept at finding fast food restaurants, I can imagine she'd knock on the first door she came upon when she grew hungry, thirsty and tired.
Things aren't adding up here, for sure.

I thought they went missing from the home of the father and step-mother. A post above says they were at a relatives house when they went missing.

6-year anniversary of disappearance of Gary woman Diamond Bynum and nephew King Walker

July 25, 2021
Today marks six years since their disappearance
and the family is still asking for the public's help to find them.

The pair went missing on July 25, 2015, while visiting a relative's home in Gary, Indiana.

As the family clings to the belief that they are still alive somewhere, their frustration with the investigation grows as the case goes cold.

The family said they've decided to look to Chicago to once again plead for help to find their missing relatives.

Relatives have floated the idea of hiring a private investigator but haven't been able to get the needed police records because it's still an active case.

No one from the Gary Police Department could be reached for comment.

I have always wondered about the relationship between Diamond and her step-mother. Living with someone with the syndrome she has can be very difficult. JMO

I thought they went missing from the home of the father and step-mother. A post above says they were at a relatives house when they went missing.

I have always wondered about the relationship between Diamond and her step-mother. Living with someone with the syndrome she has can be very difficult. JMO

I thought the pair went missing from the father and stepmother's home, too.

Weeks before Laws went missing — on July 25, 2015 — Diamond Bynum and her young nephew, King Walker, disappeared under similarly mysterious circumstances after leaving a family home in Gary, Indiana. Bynum, now 28, suffers from a genetic disorder and is mentally disabled, while King is turning nine on Wednesday.

King’s mother, Ariana Walker, complained that Gary police disregarded requests to issue an Amber Alert, noting that the family also had to “fight with them” to coordinate with Chicago police after a reported sighting in the city. La Shann Walker, Bynum’s mother and King’s grandma, added that tips have led nowhere and said it’s been difficult to get answers from officials.
“We would just like for them to do something to get justice for us,” said Walker. “And it’s just a horrible ordeal to go through. It’s going on seven years and we’ haven’t got any answers.”
Police officials from Chicago, Park Forest and Gary didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment.
Anyone with tips should call Chicago police at (312) 747-8380, Park Forest police at (708) 748–1309 or Gary police at (219) 881-1214.

More of the article at the link.

I feel badly for Diamond and King, and their families, but what else can law enforcement do at this point? If I were there, I would gather up a group of volunteers and go knocking on doors with pictures of them, but other than that, there's little anyone can do. And it truly stinks, all the way around.
It just blows my mind no one saw this pair walking the neighborhood or boarding a bus. I think it would have been obvious to any onlooker something was amiss with them, had they been seen. Sadly, perhaps a nefarious person noticed them before a good Samaritan and harmed them. They'd have been easy targets.

"Neither one of them could talk at the time. So they wouldn't be able to tell anyone they were missing," Walker said.

LaShann Walker is still holding on to hope that her daughter and grandson are still alive.

"Because we haven't found any bodies. That means there's a possibility that they're still out here somewhere, prayerfully alive."

Walker wishes more could be done to crack the cold case.

"I just want to bring awareness. I think it's unfair that we're not getting enough coverage. We're not getting enough help."

That leaves this grandmother and mother suffering understandable pain.

"It hurts my heart the fact that it's going on seven years and we haven't gotten any answers."

LaShann Walker said she'll be one of many speakers during the missing awareness event this Friday, from noon until 1:00 at Daley Plaza. You can expect to hear poets and singers

CHICAGO (WLS) -- LaShann Walker has kept the faith that one day her daughter, Diamond Bynum, and grandson, King Walker will come home safely almost seven years after their disappearance.

"I'm asking if anyone knows anything, please say something. Somebody knows something," she said. "It's hard to continue living life every day not knowing whether they are being hurt or something."

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back