Found Deceased NJ - Brian Gooney, 55, Rahway, 09 March 2021

I was looking at his Twitter just now (Thanks, @mlhenn) and had an observation, but then I had another concerning one when I looked at his replies:

The first observation was that on March 7, just 2 days before going missing, he sounded in a positive and lighthearted frame of mind posting that he was gonna “tell my future grandkids” something. But when I looked at “replies” I thought: was he being harassed by some troll? Anyone else notice that?

Could it be a current or former student messing with him? Insulting one’s sexuality/romantic history strikes me as standard juvenile bullying. JMO.

Just brainstorming here. All is speculation.

Wearing a mask when he went out.
I wonder if he always did or only if he planned to meet or thought he'd run into someone?

Night-time but not wearing a jacket.
So maybe didn't think it would take long?

Some of you are saying Twitter account has a nasty comment on the last post. (I don't have Twitter so can't see it.). I assume you can delete comments people make to your posts? So possibly he didn't see it? Or possibly did see it but didn't know he could - or didn't want to - delete it? Is it the kind of comment that could be the last straw for someone?

I hope not. It's angering.

Just brainstorming here. All is speculation.

Wearing a mask when he went out.
I wonder if he always did or only if he planned to meet or thought he'd run into someone?

Night-time but not wearing a jacket.
So maybe didn't think it would take long?

Some of you are saying Twitter account has a nasty comment on the last post. (I don't have Twitter so can't see it.). I assume you can delete comments people make to your posts? So possibly he didn't see it? Or possibly did see it but didn't know he could - or didn't want to - delete it? Is it the kind of comment that could be the last straw for someone?

I hope not. It's angering.

I don’t have a Twitter account, either ( nor FB!) Try this link, then click where it says “show more replies”. But don’t bring it here to WS, of course.
https://mobile.twitter.com/njparagon/status/1368498444017442820

Just FYI -
I got as far back as January reading tweets from this person bashing BG and then they became predictable/redundant, so I did not proceed. Definitely does not sound like a student "messing with him". It goes into major detail about a relationship gone sideways.

I submitted it as a tip. I’m sure they’re aware of it but just in case. Linden PD was super responsive and said to pass it to Rahway (which I had already done). I also included the Twitter links. You just never know . Those tweets hurt my heart because no one deserves to be treated that way

I submitted it as a tip. I’m sure they’re aware of it but just in case. Linden PD was super responsive and said to pass it to Rahway (which I had already done). I also included the Twitter links. You just never know . Those tweets hurt my heart because no one deserves to be treated that way

Thank you for submitting it, @Lbino88!
I felt the same. So cruel.

Rahway PD sent a very nice response. I’m glad they are aware of it!! :

Thank you. We are aware of this, but truly appreciate you reaching out with the information. It never hurts to double check, especially for serious matters such as these. We truly appreciate the assistance of the public, and are grateful for all tips. Have a great night.

So possibly he didn't see it? Or possibly did see it but didn't know he could - or didn't want to - delete it? Is it the kind of comment that could be the last straw for someone?

I don’t have Twitter either but if you click see more replies from the link provided a few posts up, you can see a whole list of horrible tweets...not sure how Brian could have not seen them (sooo many of ‘em :mad:). I had to stop reading them; the more I read, the angrier I got. No sense in stuff like that IMO.

I’m no Twitter expert. I looked at Brian’s troll and while I’m still inclined to view this person as someone much younger than Brian (I do understand how others regard this troll as a peer/ex), I DID notice that this troll doesn’t “follow” Brian. Unless this troll “unfollowed” Brian recently, it strikes me as odd that the troll would not just comment on Brian’s posts, but comment on most of Brian’s comments. If Brian commented on a CNN tweet, the troll insulted Brian. That’s...dedication. JMO.

This looks like someone is obsessed with Brian. I wonder if he was lured outside somehow. My first thought was self-harm, but why wear a mask?

I don’t really see a connection between mask & self-harm. The former has become automatic for many (like a seatbelt) and the latter isn’t always logical or even planned. JMO.

Just some fb stuff as well. I get really sensitive to anonymous posting that lacks any empathy and I find it everywhere but here. Thank god for webslueths!

NJ.com was notorious for the absolutely awful comment sections on their articles, so I am not surprised if there are insensitive or weird comments floating around.

But that persons Twitter account..... Yikers. They seem extremely unstable IMO. And also immature.

Hoping for the best for Brian.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back