OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 Apr 2006 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
No way? Really? I don't agree. They are exactly the decisions I make about my life at 2am after drinking......it can knock inhibitions out of the way and bring suppressed thoughts to the fore.

You can see your life in ways you can't when you're sober and have different thoughts to when you're sober. For better, or worse.

Making crazy decisions when drunk....check. Regretting those crazy decisions when sober....check.

No way? Really? I don't agree. They are exactly the decisions I make about my life at 2am after drinking......it can knock inhibitions out of the way and bring suppressed thoughts to the fore.

You can see your life in ways you can't when you're sober and have different thoughts to when you're sober. For better, or worse.
In the last five years, I've had one can of beer and one glass of champagne, so I may not be a good point of reference, but I don't recall any suppressed thoughts coming to the fore during any of the handful of times in my life when I was truly "plastered" (if people still use that term). My thoughts pretty much revolved around finding a spot to lie down and go to sleep.

I don't know whether Brian was drunk, but if he was, I'd go with the "passed out in a dumpster" scenario before the "ran away to a tropical island" scenario.

Regarding being plastered (yes, I still use that term!) the thoughts I was really thinking about were more life analysis. Alcohol can amplify suppressed feelings. If he was unhappy in life, he may not have run away to a tropical island as such that night, but he could've gone for some time out, or some time alone to plan his next move. And that's when maybe he had an accident or met with danger.

When I've been out drinking and having fun, I don't want the night to end, and get a feeling of sadness. Maybe for some people it is despair at having to return to life/work/hum-drum living.

I don't know whether Brian was drunk, but if he was, I'd go with the "passed out in a dumpster" scenario before the "ran away to a tropical island" scenario.

I mean he was most certainly drunk. One of the few things Florence has said is that they were pounding shots of hard liquor all night at the various stops. If a 165 pound dude does 6-7 + shots of whiskey/vodka he’s going to be bombed.

Not to mention, he was leaning on the escalator and in talking to Brightan and Amber on camera he appeared quite wobbly.

Unfortunately, his being drunk opens up many more sinister possibilities, such as going to an after party to score drugs or being a target for a mugger/attacker on the way home.

I mean he was most certainly drunk. One of the few things Florence has said is that they were pounding shots of hard liquor all night at the various stops. If a 165 pound dude does 6-7 + shots of whiskey/vodka he’s going to be bombed.

Not to mention, he was leaning on the escalator and in talking to Brightan and Amber on camera he appeared quite wobbly.

Unfortunately, his being drunk opens up many more sinister possibilities, such as going to an after party to score drugs or being a target for a mugger/attacker on the way home.
His blood alcohol level must have been above the legal threshold for intoxication, but how much the alcohol was affecting him would have depended on his tolerance level, which may have been quite high.

I don't know his drinking habits, but I'm familiar with the drinking habits of many college students, including post-grad, and of many musicians. In both groups, 6-7 shots throughout an evening for someone who drinks on the regular, imoo, they'd be feeling no pain, but they wouldn't be totally defenseless or completely unaware of their surroundings. I guess a lot depends on how often he drank, if he had any food at all that day/evening, and over what time period he consumed those shots. If they were lined up and shot round after round in close succession, I'd be more inclined to believe the accident theory. Of course, I'd also be questioning the judgment of the person who served him that way.

In all other scenarios I can think of, it just seems like there would be evidence. For example, if he wandered in the street and was hit by a vehicle as he was walking home. They could get rid of the body, but what about the mess left behind or witnesses? Of course, if he voluntarily disappeared, seems like that would leave evidence too, in one form or another.

This case seems pretty simple at first, until you consider that there's really no evidence to support any one scenario. I hope answers are found for his brother.

Brian Shaffer disappearance: Photo shows how OSU student may look now

Authorities hope age-progression photo leads to answers in disappearance of Brian Shaffer
Bethany Bruner
The Columbus Dispatch
ddaa53af-18fd-44ca-a6b3-347366d168e1-age_progression_shaffer.jpg

Nearly 15 years after an Ohio State University medical student disappeared from a campus-area bar, investigators are releasing a new photo they hope will lead to answers.

Brian Shaffer was 27 when he was last seen around 2 a.m. on April 1, 2006 inside the since-closed Ugly Tuna Saloona in the North High Street area. Shaffer was seen on cameras inside the bar shortly before 2 a.m. talking to two women, but then walked away. He is not seen on camera footage leaving the bar and he hasn't been seen since.

Shaffer was last seen wearing jeans, a blue or green striped shirt and tennis shoes. He is 6 feet 2 inches tall, around 170 pounds, with brown hair and hazel eyes.

The Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation released an age-progressed photo of Shaffer on Monday, hoping the image might generate new information in the case. Shaffer would be 42 now.

“We would like to thank BCI and their forensic artists who worked tirelessly on the age-progression image of Brian Shaffer,” Interim Columbus police Chief Michael Woods said. “We would like to find every person from our missing persons cases, and believe this is another step in hopes that we can find Mr. Shaffer.”

Since his disappearance, Shaffer's case has been the subject of podcast episodes, featured on television shows and has its own Wikipedia page.

In 2020, a photograph of a homeless man in Mexico was sent to the FBI for facial recognition software to be used to determine if it was Shaffer. The FBI determined it was not him.

Anyone with information about the case is asked to call the Columbus Division of Police at 614-645-2358.

If you have the potential to be implicated in a crime or hold information about potential crimes, the smart move would be to lawyer up and cease cooperation with law enforcement. Clint - whether he is guilty of anything or not - did precisely that to cover his behind. It's the same concept as pleading the 5th IMO

Was a grand jury ever convened? TIA

March 2 2021
Ohio AG releases age progression photo of Brian Shaffer | NBC4 WCMH-TV
“Take a close look at this image: a single tip can reignite a cold case and bring a family closer to reunification with a loved one,” Attorney General Dave Yost said. “Hope doesn’t have an expiration date – every missing person counts.”
Ohio AG releases age progression photo of Brian Shaffer
•Mar 29, 2021

Feb 11, 2020

Reading some of the more recent threads here and thinking it was 15 years ago tonight at OSU he was last seen. I attended OSU many years before that and have a strong interest in Brian's case for that reason. I couldn't find it anywhere whether his brother, Derek (?) has ever given input or had an interview? I'd be very interested in what he and Brian's girlfriend Alexis have thought happened, knowing Brian more than most.

Reading some of the more recent threads here and thinking it was 15 years ago tonight at OSU he was last seen. I attended OSU many years before that and have a strong interest in Brian's case for that reason. I couldn't find it anywhere whether his brother, Derek (?) has ever given input or had an interview? I'd be very interested in what he and Brian's girlfriend Alexis have thought happened, knowing Brian more than most.
His brother has stated that he believes Brian would not choose to walk away and has actually had Brian legally declared deceased. Alexis has stated in the past that she had a similar belief; however, more recently she has alluded to the fact her opinion has changed and he may have done just that.

This reminds me of missing Dane Williams from Huntington Beach. He had been drinking, got separated from his group (after closing bar hours) Evidently a perp slipped something in his drink. He was a confident, big strong , heterosexual guy. You’d never think anyone could take or do anything to Dane against his will. His body was found 3 days later.Wrapped in a rug, dumped in an alley. The perp was caught (only because he tried it again)and convicted. Could this be what befell Brian? The non-capture of Brian leaving, walking out is haunting. Perhaps a perp drugged him and disguised the -leaving- part.

MOO

Brian Shaffer Went Missing 15 Years Ago But Authorities Haven’t Given Up Hope
''The last time Brian was seen on cameras, he was at the top of the escalator talking with two girls outside of the Ugly Tuna. He appears to say ‘bye’ and turns towards the bar, he then disappears from the camera’s view and has not been seen since.''
Brian_Shaffer_with_his_father_Randy.jpg

Brian Shaffer and his father, Randy. Photo via Wikipedia
''Brian’s girlfriend and his father both tried to call Brian later that weekend, but he didn’t answer. On Monday morning, he missed the flight to Miami for the planned trip with Waggoner. It was then that he was reported missing to the police.

Shaffer was 27 years old when he went missing and would now be 42. BCI’s forensic criminal artist has constructed an age-progressed image of what Brian may look like now. Investigators hope that the new image may prompt the public to submit tips to law enforcement.

“We would like to thank BCI and their forensic artists who worked tirelessly on the age-progression image of Brian Shaffer,” Interim Columbus Police Chief Michael Woods said. “We would like to find every person from our missing persons cases and believe this is another step in hopes that we can find Mr. Shaffer.”

Anyone with information about the case is asked to call the Columbus Division of Police at 614-645-2358.

Shaffer was last seen wearing jeans, a blue or green striped shirt and tennis shoes. A white male, Brian is 6’2” tall, weighed 170 pounds and has brown hair and hazel eyes.''

This reminds me of missing Dane Williams from Huntington Beach. He had been drinking, got separated from his group (after closing bar hours) Evidently a perp slipped something in his drink. He was a confident, big strong , heterosexual guy. You’d never think anyone could take or do anything to Dane against his will. His body was found 3 days later.Wrapped in a rug, dumped in an alley. The perp was caught (only because he tried it again)and convicted. Could this be what befell Brian? The non-capture of Brian leaving, walking out is haunting. Perhaps a perp drugged him and disguised the -leaving- part.

MOO
Thx for sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members