Found Deceased UK - Richard Okorogheye, 19, Oxford Student, Ladbroke Grove, West London, 24 Mar 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whether the body that’s been found is Richard or someone else, Richard’s mother and father will be going through unimaginable hell with their uncertainty and fear. They are where my prayers are directed at the moment.

David Jackman reports...

The discovery of a man's body was made in a pond between the Wake Arms and Robin Hood roundabouts, off Epping New Road.
Numerous police vehicles, including Essex Police forensics units, were parked on the roadside with a large section of the forest secured with blue and white police tape.
Several police officers could be seen apparently standing guard alongside the tape which bordered the pond.
Everything Epping Forest also saw two police officers kneeling at the water's edge.
Several police vehicles were parked in a forest car park further along Epping New Road, closer to the Wake Arms roundabout, with members of the public prevented from driving into the car park by City of London Corporation Forest Constables.
The pond is about two miles from Smarts Lane in Loughton where Richard Okorogheye was captured on CCTV as he got out of a taxi in the early hours of Tuesday, March 23.
He was last seen walking towards Nursery Road and Epping Forest.
The search operation in Epping Forest, involving police and volunteer search and rescue teams, was in its sixth day having started in the Earls Path and Nursery Road area last Wednesday.
* Everything Epping Forest was alerted to today's significant police presence shortly after 3pm.

Google Maps

EEF NEWS LIVE

Last edited:
Oh dear, horrible news.

I would be very surprised if the police released a statement worded that way if they were not very sure it was Richard.

They cannot however confirm officially it is him until a formal identification as been made. If the body has been in water for any length of time (especially if there are rats or carnivorous fish) then it is likely it will be by dental records or DNA

Also, here is the BBC's current article
Richard Okorogheye: Police find body in search for missing student

Richard Okorogheye's mother has been told 'the description matches his' after a body was found in Epping Forest in the search for her missing 19-year-old son.

“Oh God, they said the description matches his, but we’ll go in tomorrow to find out," Richard's mother Evidence Joel told My London.

She spoke briefly in a highly emotional call during which she revealed that police had told told her the body they have found has a similar description to her missing son.

No formal identification of the body has yet been carried out.

'They said description matches his' says Richard Okorogheye's mum as body found

Richard Okorogheye's mother has been told 'the description matches his' after a body was found in Epping Forest in the search for her missing 19-year-old son.

“Oh God, they said the description matches his, but we’ll go in tomorrow to find out," Richard's mother Evidence Joel told My London.

She spoke briefly in a highly emotional call during which she revealed that police had told told her the body they have found has a similar description to her missing son.

No formal identification of the body has yet been carried out.

'They said description matches his' says Richard Okorogheye's mum as body found

Tomorrow?! That's outrageous.

Is the pond right next to the road? I think I’m looking at the correct one...?
I think it's this one. Checking Street View, this stretch of road would be terrifying at night. Darkness and bushes everywhere, and isolated.

Attachments

• ricj (wecompress.com)2.jpg
    ricj (wecompress.com)2.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
Yes and no. It depends what condition the body is in, and what might need to be done forensically before he can be cleaned up a bit and made to look as presentable as possible,

It's unusual to do family-verifications anyway these days. To make her wait overnight seems a little cruel, if they could do anything.

It's unusual to do family-verifications anyway these days. To make her wait overnight seems a little cruel, if they could do anything.

Agree, which is why I speculated that there would have to be quite important reasons for the delay. The only two I could come up with being need for forensic work, or the appearance of the body.

We do not know when he died, how long he has been in water, or what wildlife there is (though there's bound to be rats). Making him more presentable might be the most humane thing. JMO

Following the route from the taxi drop-off to the pond in Streetview, it seems possible that he was walking aimlessly....he exited the taxi in a bizarre place, he was walking into poorly lit country roads that don't seem to really go anywhere, and are clearly built with vehicles in mind.
Also, if my route is correct, he came to the roundabout pictured via the right hand sidewalk (the left sidewalk is just grass) and took the exit to the right. Again, down there, there isn't really anything there. Bushes, a long road and a pub a bit further down. I think it was just the 'easiest' path, (the other exits weren't even paved) that made him go down there.
Not a good place to be on foot in the early hours. I suspect his decision-making was clouded quite heavily and I don't think he fully knew what he was doing.

Attachments

• rich birds (wecompress.com)3.jpg
    rich birds (wecompress.com)3.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 156
  • rich fp (wecompress.com).jpg
    rich fp (wecompress.com).jpg
    142 KB · Views: 184
  • rich roundaboutzoom (wecompress.com).jpg
    rich roundaboutzoom (wecompress.com).jpg
    178 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Hi everyone,

First post here, my heart breaks for RO's family during this time. It's just absolutely terrifying.

Obviously the discovery of a body is really bad news and I supposed must indicate a self-inflicted motive.
I recall reading a comment on Facebook from somebody that mentioned seeing Richard most days over the last week near the roundabout.

Could it be possible that RO remained in the forest for a few days in contemplation? It breaks my heart that - had the search been called on sooner - he may have been found before he decided to act.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member