TX TX - Misty, 15, & Crystal Ortega, 13, Mixton, 8 Aug 1995

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Crystal Lynn Ortega – The Charley Project
Misty Dawn Ortega – The Charley Project

Details of Disappearance
Misty and her younger sister, Crystal Ortega, left their family's residence in Troup, Texas on August 8, 1995. Neither of the sisters has been heard from again. Authorities initially believed they left of their own accord, but have since reconsidered this theory.

Some agencies report that Crystal and Misty disappeared from Mixon, Texas.

Misty Dawn Ortega
  • misty_dawn_ortega_1.jpg
  • misty_dawn_ortega_2.jpg
Crystal Lynn Ortega
  • crystal_lynn_ortega_1.jpg
  • crystal_lynn_ortega_2.jpg
Crystal, circa 1995; Age-progression to age 34 (circa 2015)

I found this article and it appears to be their mother. If they were missing, would she reference their current ages?
A survivor's story: Debbie Salazar
This article is dated 2006 and if post #15, dated 7/2010 here in this thread is truly a family member like it sounds, wouldn’t they have continued the conversation? Provided photos?

From the link:
First tell us a little bit about yourself...

Hi, my name is Debbie Salazar, and I’m an 18-month cancer survivor. I’m 42 years young.

I have a wonderful husband; Javier and three wonderful children, Misty Dawn Ortega, 27; Crystal Lynn Ortega, 25; and Phillip Anthony Bishop, 16. I am from this area and went to school in Troup. I have lived in New Summerfield for the past 11 years. I attend the Church of Christ in New Summerfield and am very involved with it.

I was reading the thread and I tried all of the links but they did not get me anywhere. I have looked at so many unidentified victim photo's and have not seen a match yet. The police have also shown our family different photo's but we have been able to rule them all out because of various things. As of today, June 27, 2010, there has been no closure in this case. They disappeared in 1995 and are still missing but will never be forgotten by those of us who love them. I have seen the age progression pictures and would love the chance to see first hand how accurate they are. I do not know that we will ever get that chance, but I have to keep hoping. Thank you all for posting about my girls.

@ado , any new information?

(Let's see if we have any response from the author of Post #15.)

Does anyone know if they put Crystal and Misty's DNA in some kind of national database? So, if they did find an unidentified body(God forbid), they could run that DNA and find out if it was them? I'm sure they could've collected a sample from their mom.

Ok, I signed up with namus.gov and found a possible match for Crystal. Emailed them and got a reply.

"Reference NamUs MP6468 Crystal Lynn Ortega as a possible match to Bell County NamUs UP3487.

Thank you for your submission, we appreciate your time and support.

NamUs staff will review the submitted information. Additionally, we will notify the investigating agencies for their consideration if the agencies have not been previously notified.

Please note, identification and exclusions are only made and/or confirmed by investigating agencies. The results of comparisons may or may not be made available to the public for investigatory reasons."

Updated age progressions for Crystal, 40, (left) and Misty, 42 (right)

1682058596068.png 1682058606426.png

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back