Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #94

Status
Not open for further replies.
Countries worldwide hit new records for virus cases, deaths

BBM:
The U.S. has now fully vaccinated nearly 20% of its adult population, and New Mexico became the first state to get shots in the arms of 25% of its residents — milestones that are still far off for many hard-hit countries.

12 Months of Trauma: More Than 3,600 US Health Workers Died in Covid’s First Year

“The yearlong series of investigative reports found that many of these deaths could have been prevented. Widespread shortages of masks and other personal protective gear, a lack of covid testing, weak contact tracing, inconsistent mask guidance by politicians, missteps by employers and lax enforcement of workplace safety rules by government regulators all contributed to the increased risk faced by health care workers. Studies show that health care workers were more than three times as likely to contract covid as the general public.

“We rightfully refer to these people without hyperbole — that they are true heroes and heroines,” said Dr. Anthony Fauci in an exclusive interview with The Guardian and KHN. The covid deaths of so many are “a reflection of what health care workers have done historically, by putting themselves in harm’s way, by living up to the oath they take when they become physicians and nurses,” he said.“

COVAX has reached over 100 economies in the past six weeks.
So far, COVAX has delivered over 38 million COVID-19 vaccine doses and aims to supply all participating economies that have requested vaccines, in the first half of 2021.

World Health Organization A Global Pandemic Requires A Global Response

Fantastic! :)

Last edited:
There is already an uproar over these recommendations. You really have to wonder about people- It is only for two weeks, yet so many people are up in arms. I guess they just don't understand what a pandemic is- or they don't care.

I no longer wonder about people. I've finally learned to accept them as the MORONS many Americans are.

I've said it before, when you've had people who NEVER took it seriously, there's Zero chance they're going to suddenly have a light bulb go off above their pea brained head.

I'd say that it's likely they don't understand, AND they don't care. But if I had to say which is the greater reason, I'd absolutely go with the "don't care" explanation. Think how many times you've heard, "If I catch the virus, it won't be that bad, so I'm not worried." They care about themselves, and themselves ONLY. And even then they don't really care. How many have said...."well, if I get the virus, and get sick and die, it was meant to be." God's Plan and all that good stuff.

Whitmer asks for 2-week pause of Michigan youth sports, indoor dining

Governor Whitmer (Michigan) has made recommendations- no mandate-
1. Don't do indoor dining- she is not shutting down restaurants
2. stop youth sports
3. stop in person learning

There is already an uproar over these recommendations. You really have to wonder about people- It is only for two weeks, yet so many people are up in arms. I guess they just don't understand what a pandemic is- or they don't care.

https://www.theoaklandpress.com/spo...spring-sports-without-a-pause/article_707db97

Here is the response from our wonderful Michigan community with respect to Governor Whitmer's recommendation (actually it was a plea) to halt youth sports for two weeks. NOPE WE WON'T --- Let's just pretend there is no pandemic: Let's be so ignorant as to believe our behavior has no impact on this virus. SMH

COVID-19 cases are up in more vaccinated parts of Chicago. One possible reason: People are dropping their guard.

BBM:
“Canada’s seven-day average of new, confirmed Covid-19 cases per million people now exceeds the U.S.

Data as of Friday and collected by the University of Oxford’s Our World in Data portal show the rolling seven-day average in Canada sits at 205.7, eclipsing the U.S., which is at 205.1.

This marks a stark turnaround from just a month ago, when, as of March 12, the adjusted gauge indicated the U.S. at 165.5 per million and Canada at 83.5. At the start of 2021, the U.S. was recording roughly 600 cases per million versus Canada’s 168.“

[...]

“The data partly reflects the strides the U.S. has made through its vaccination rollout. According to Oxford data, over 20% of Americans are fully vaccinated and a third have at least one shot. It’s a different story in Canada, with just 2% fully vaccinated and roughly 18% with at least one shot.

The reversal of fortune is also due to the rapid growth in Canada of confirmed Covid-19 cases during a third wave in which variants are playing a dominant role. Authorities in Canada’s biggest provinces have moved in the past week to impose stay-at-home orders, implement new curfews and close schools. “It is clear that we need stronger controls,” Dr. Theresa Tam, Canada’s chief public-health officer, said Friday.

Canada is home to one of the slowest Covid-19 vaccination rollouts in the developed world.“

Covid-19 Live Updates: Newly Reported U.S. Cases Rise - WSJ.com

Last edited:
LOL! I'll have to mention that to him! :D
(Either that, or there may be mushrooms in there :D)

(PS, was thinking of you, I’ve been listening to this very interesting podcast about the “Butcher of Latvia”, Nazi war criminal: “A spy story. A detective case...“ - more here, in spoiler so as to not take up too much room)
“A spy story. A detective case. The mission was simple: to arrange the death of one man. The goal was to send a message to all Nazi fugitives around the world: "we can find you and we can kill you." This is the true story of an undercover mission to hunt down a savage Nazi murderer who helped Hitler’s forces kill 30,000 men, women, and children. The survivors gave him a name after the Holocaust: The Butcher of Latvia. The spies would travel halfway around the world to carry out the sentence. The mission wasn’t for one life. It was for 6 million. Listen to “Good Assassins: Hunting the Butcher” for free. Join the hunt...”
This is a story about a spy and a murderer. In the history of espionage, this case of the undercover agent and the man known as The Butcher of Latvia is unique. It has many of the things that can fascinate us about spies: the tradecraft, letters in invisible ink, intrigue in places around the world - in this case, Paris, Tel Aviv, Berlin, Montevideo, Uruguay, and Rio de Janeiro. There are recon missions, disguises, fake passports, shooting contests, a kill team trained in a special martial arts called Krav Maga. There's a body in a trunk. And a drug called Librium that one agent takes so he doesn’t sweat and appear nervous. There’s a psychiatrist who tries to psychoanalyze Nazis. Hitler even makes an appearance...”)

Last edited:
https://twitter.com/joshbrogadirtv/status/1380901821594624001?s=21
Bringing shots directly into communities. This line at a church in East Boston for a Covid vaccine pop-up clinic (J & J single shot). Some people pre-registered but volunteers also canvassed the neighborhood to let residents know they could get shots today. #WCVB

From my limited research things are feast or famine here still. Getting better maybe ? just saw Walmart is starting here this week or next
There is a church in my neighborhood who seems to be functioning as a "pop up" site this weekend. I haven't heard of this until today.

jmo

Spouse got his first shot today !

it looks like our supply is dropping next week? -when everyone becomes eligible ...of course
No link atm

Equity Vaccine Clinics Target Underserved Populations in Mass.
Massachusetts has given out a supply of "equity vaccines" to 20 cities across the state in an effort to reach populations who have otherwise had barriers to getting protection from the coronavirus.

In Worcester, a line began forming before 6 a.m. on Saturday at the YMCA, which from 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. will administer single-dose Johnson & Johnson shots. At least 200 people had arrived in the line around the time the clinic opened.

Worcester city officials said this morning they have about 2,000 doses of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine available, a higher estimate than the 500 expected earlier.

Trinity Health Of New England in Home Stretch of 24-Hour Vax-A-Thon in Hartford
Trinity Health of New England's 24-hour Vax-A-Thon has made it past their half way point, aiming to distribute 4,000 doses during their continuous COVID-19 vaccine clinic.

Number of Mass. Communities in High-Risk COVID Red Zone Jumps Again as Map Returns
There are now 77 Massachusetts communities in red, an increase from 55 last week, but still far fewer than in the peak in January

Need Vaccine, Will Travel? NH to Open Appointments to Out-of-Staters on April 19
People from all states, including those in New England, will soon be eligible to sign up for COVID-19 vaccination appointments in New Hampshire.

Gov. Chris Sununu announced Thursday that the Granite State will expand vaccine eligibility to people 16 and older regardless of residency, including college students, beginning on Monday, April 19.

New Jersey server receives almost $2G after customer refuses to tip over COVID-19 rules — Fox News

“Like many restaurants during the pandemic, Glenbrook Brewery - which opened only five weeks ago - has instituted a 90-minute time limit for dine-in customers. However, one customer apparently didn't like that policy and decided not to leave a tip on his $86.37 meal on Friday night.

Heath Traver, Glenbrook's co-owner and head brewer, told Fox News the policy is in place as a way to keep the restaurant's wait time down while following state coronavirus guidelines. Currently, New Jersey requires that indoor dining be limited to 50% capacity, with parties of eight or less and tables all six feet apart.

"We can't fit 50% in just because of those limitations," Traver told Fox. "We're very limited in our seating capacity and that - with a pretty high demand to see us - is causing lines and we're just trying to deal with it the best we can in the most fair way we can."

“Traver added that the restaurant only asks guests to leave after 90 minutes when other people are waiting to be seated.

"If there's no line, then you can hang out as long as you want," he stressed.”

Wow. What a jerk.

Guess he wanted to sit and drink beer all night? Then buy a growler and take it home to enjoy.

Coronavirus variants are testing the limits of what we once thought was safe in Canada
Explosion of variant cases elevates risk of COVID-19 exposure in everyday situations, experts say

“"The things that you've gotten away with previously, and that you've put into your mindset that were safe … it wasn't that they were safe, it's that you got lucky," said Erin Bromage, a biology professor and immunologist at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth who studies infectious diseases.

"That luck — it's like rolling dice."

Bromage said activities such as visiting a loved one, sharing a meal or working out in a gym might seem safe because public health restrictions may allow them, but are even riskier now than they were before.

The variants of concern not only appear to be more transmissible and potentially more deadly, but Bromage says they may also transmit for longer periods of time in infected individuals and bind to our cells more easily — providing more opportunities for infected people to spread the virus.”

Coronavirus: What's happening in Canada and around the world on Saturday

Variant cases have almost quadrupled in Canada in the last 2 weeks, says Tam

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/coron...s2VqrmUTifBojdDPX4xzDaLm9iNYGNwXmsXalC33VtgpQ

"“Where #VariantsOfConcern are surging, jurisdictions have tightened restrictions," read a post by Tam on Twitter.

"This is difficult & discouraging for all of us, but more so for healthcare & essential workers who continue to provide vital supplies, care and supports to us."“

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member