US Virgin Is - Sarm Joan Lillian Heslop, 41, British, aboard vessel Siren Song, St. John, 7 Mar 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Despite the OTT presentation of the articles, if any of this is remotely true I think it is interesting and relevant. We now know he has killed and dismembered animals - this is something that not everyone would feel comfortable doing. If he did try to feed his wife the fawn she cared for this demonstrates to me that there is something more than potential angry outbursts at play; it comes across to me as quite sick and disturbed. JMO

Agree. Add to that his rage towards an 8 year old, and this man is clearly dangerous, imo. The mind boggles. :mad:

Despite the Daily Fail being over the top and the headlines about RB ex wife, the content is at least keeping this highlighted in the news. Apart from Fox News and the Mail nothing has been mentioned for days. Sarms family must be devastated.

JMO and speculation but it seems to me that every day that RB refuses to allow LE and the Coast Guard on his boat loses income and lowers the value of his charter business. In fact it may already be kaput.

He and his attorney must have weighed the consequences between refusing a search because they distrust local LE and the fairly certain failure of RB's charter business.

That's a loss of over a quarter million dollars if the boat is chartered weekly for 4 people for only 6 months out of the year. The boat's upkeep alone is costly and the boat may have loan payments. Average costs plus insurance can run into the thousands.

So my question is: Why risk a sustainable business? I wish a reporter would ask why RB doesn't trust them - I'd like to see both USVIPD Spokesperson Tony Derima and RB's attorney answer that one.

JMO and speculation but it seems to me that every day that RB refuses to allow LE and the Coast Guard on his boat loses income and lowers the value of his charter business. In fact it may already be kaput.

He and his attorney must have weighed the consequences between refusing a search because they distrust local LE and the fairly certain failure of RB's charter business.

That's a loss of over a quarter million dollars if the boat is chartered weekly for 4 people for only 6 months out of the year. The boat's upkeep alone is costly and the boat may have loan payments. Average costs plus insurance can run into the thousands.

So my question is: Why risk a sustainable business? I wish a reporter would ask why RB doesn't trust them - I'd like to see both USVIPD Spokesperson Tony Derima and RB's attorney answer that one.

It may not even be "just" distrust. While not pleasing to the public, giving law enforcement more than your constitutional rights can and has had it's downfalls. I've said it for awhile and I think that what his doing is upon advisement of his counsel. In addition, I don't think what he's being advised to do is any different than many other lawyers

Regarding revenue and income. We don't know his financial situation. He may have plenty of money and that's the least of his concerns. It was reported that they had 10 or more bookings valued at $100,000. Even if 60% of that is profit, there are plenty of people who wouldn't even notice losing $60k (a lot of them owns yachts also). Now, he may be on the hook for the boat and living month to month, year to year as well. Time will tell on that one

It may not even be "just" distrust. While not pleasing to the public, giving law enforcement more than your constitutional rights can and has had it's downfalls. I've said it for awhile and I think that what his doing is upon advisement of his counsel. In addition, I don't think what he's being advised to do is any different than many other lawyers

Regarding revenue and income. We don't know his financial situation. He may have plenty of money and that's the least of his concerns. It was reported that they had 10 or more bookings valued at $100,000. Even if 60% of that is profit, there are plenty of people who wouldn't even notice losing $60k (a lot of them owns yachts also). Now, he may be on the hook for the boat and living month to month, year to year as well. Time will tell on that one
I understand what you're saying. To further clarify my thoughts I'll add my surprise at RB's apparent lack of concern to find Sarm ASAP.

According to his story, the anchor alarm went off at 2 am. RB called LE at 2:30 after failing to find Sarm. He tells LE he thinks she fell overboard. He agrees to meet with LE to give his statement. He chooses to meet them on land rather than on his boat. He refuses to allow LE to search his boat. At 11:46 the next morning he calls the Coast Guard and refuses to let them search the boat.

What we don't know is when exactly RB called his lawyer but we know it was sometime during an approximate 10-hour window.

Constitutional rights aside I find it very odd that calling an attorney took priority over calling the Coast Guard. I get that it was his right to do so. I don't get why he didn't seem concerned about finding the woman he claimed to love. I can't imagine doing the same if my sweet husband went missing at 2 am. MOO.

We can't delve into RB's finances right now so I can only speculate and opine that he's a millionaire, has substantial income from elsewhere or else actually lives on the money he gets from charters. Still, in any case 100k+ (and higher if he books at least half the year) is a lot to flush down the toilet, even for a rich person. MOO.

I find it very odd that calling an attorney took priority over calling the Coast Guard. I get that it was his right to do so. I don't get why he didn't seem concerned about finding the woman he claimed to love. I can't imagine doing the same if my sweet husband went missing at 2 am. MOO.
Snipped for focus.

I think everybody reading about the story is going to view such behaviour as a lot more than odd. IMO, most people, including LE, likely interpret it as downright suspicious. But suspicion is not proof: the difference between them is being free vs. potentially being in jail.

However, I've seen a lot of trials where the lack of concern for a missing loved one is used as powerful evidence against a suspect. But there has to be other evidence: who, what, when, where and why.

Despite the OTT presentation of the articles, if any of this is remotely true I think it is interesting and relevant. We now know he has killed and dismembered animals - this is something that not everyone would feel comfortable doing. If he did try to feed his wife the fawn she cared for this demonstrates to me that there is something more than potential angry outbursts at play; it comes across to me as quite sick and disturbed. JMO

I agree, that it is also relevant and interesting, especially if it is all as has been reported, which may well be only the tip of the iceberg (or not).

I'd like however to see some of the other press report more on this story (or perhaps his other girlfriends), given the DM's track record for showcasing false claims to sell news and to give additional reinforcement/balance.

I understand what you're saying. To further clarify my thoughts I'll add my surprise at RB's apparent lack of concern to find Sarm ASAP.

According to his story, the anchor alarm went off at 2 am. RB called LE at 2:30 after failing to find Sarm. He tells LE he thinks she fell overboard. He agrees to meet with LE to give his statement. He chooses to meet them on land rather than on his boat. He refuses to allow LE to search his boat. At 11:46 the next morning he calls the Coast Guard and refuses to let them search the boat.

What we don't know is when exactly RB called his lawyer but we know it was sometime during an approximate 10-hour window.

Constitutional rights aside I find it very odd that calling an attorney took priority over calling the Coast Guard. I get that it was his right to do so. I don't get why he didn't seem concerned about finding the woman he claimed to love. I can't imagine doing the same if my sweet husband went missing at 2 am. MOO.

We can't delve into RB's finances right now so I can only speculate and opine that he's a millionaire, has substantial income from elsewhere or else actually lives on the money he gets from charters. Still, in any case 100k+ (and higher if he books at least half the year) is a lot to flush down the toilet, even for a rich person. MOO.
Thinking aloud here....

It could be he doesn't want LE on the boat because he's afraid of being railroaded and LE conducting a corrupt search. Honestly, that might be a valid concern.

On the other hand, it was entirely possible that if Sarm fell overboard, she could have been saved! By meeting LE on land and by delaying calling the Coast Guard, no one was searching the waters where she might be treading water or clinging to something waiting to be found! That looks, imo, that he knew she wouldn't be found alive in a water search.

jmo

Rich people don’t get rich by flushing money down a toilet. But they do stay out of prison by listening to their criminal lawyers.

The final movements of missing Brit Sarm Heslop were not captured on CCTV because of a power failure.

Cameras at the Caribbean bar where Sarm, 41, dined with wealthy Ryan Bane on the night of her disappearance were zapped in a power outage days earlier.
She and Ryan were at the edge of the bar, no arguing, no trouble, not that we know about. They were talking, that was it. It was about 6pm or 7pm when they came in. I think he had three beers and Sarm no more than two. They were here for about an hour-and-a-half.”
Missing Brit's final movements not caught on bar CCTV due to power failure

The final movements of missing Brit Sarm Heslop were not captured on CCTV because of a power failure.

Cameras at the Caribbean bar where Sarm, 41, dined with wealthy Ryan Bane on the night of her disappearance were zapped in a power outage days earlier.
She and Ryan were at the edge of the bar, no arguing, no trouble, not that we know about. They were talking, that was it. It was about 6pm or 7pm when they came in. I think he had three beers and Sarm no more than two. They were here for about an hour-and-a-half.”
Missing Brit's final movements not caught on bar CCTV due to power failure
Disappointing. Very disappointing. But also, sadly, not surprising. What on earth is going on there....

More reports via today's Daily Mail (UK) from the ex wife, including a suggestion that RB demonstrated cruelty to animals. She also suspected him of cheating on her.

EXCLUSIVE: 'He's already beaten me up. I'm worried he would still harm me.' Ex-wife of missing Sarm Heslop's boyfriend says she still lives in fear and now carries a .380 Smith & Wesson with her at all times

I'm not trusting of the DM at the best of times as they are so salacious. The fact that this lady has allowed herself to be photographed holding up her Smith & Wesson pistol with a look of distant vengeance also doesn't give me great reassurance. Feels a little like clickbait now. Does the DM incentivise folk with payment for this stuff?

BTW, I'm not suggesting for a second that she was not a victim at the hands of RB. DV is totally wrong and needs to be eradicated from society, IMO.
For me, the pic of her with the gun was too much and unnecessary. I do understand being afraid of an ex, I’ve been and maybe even should be. But over the top IMO.
Not trying to derail.... where is Sarm? This young woman is loved and cherished. It hurts my heart to think she’s gone forever. I pray for answers!!

BBM

Yeah, that's basically it.

The 4th Amendment requires that police have a reasonable basis for believing that evidence of a crime may be present at a location before they can get a warrant to search it. That can be an issue in missing persons cases because people can go missing without any crime occurring. They can leave voluntarily, they can have an accident, etc. So the fact that Sarm is missing doesn't by itself give the police probable cause to search the boat. They need additional evidence that suggests a crime occurred and that evidence of it may be on the boat.

What I don't get is how they don't have that already. The bf himself told them that Sarm returned to the boat and then disappeared from it. And there's reportedly a dog-walker who heard a scream early in the morning. I'd think that would be enough by itself. And the fact that the bf stopped the coast guard from searching might be additional evidence they could use. Normally you can't use a refusal to allow a search as evidence supporting a search warrant since that would basically nullify the warrant requirement, but if the coast guard already had a legal right to search the boat then I think the bf obstructing that search could be used. And the fact they give him a citation suggests they did have that right. But I don't know maritime law or how it interacts with the 4th Amendment, so I'm just guessing.
This is where I’m at as well. I know it’s been reported that there is doubt that she returned to the boat, but the boyfriend says she did! I would think that would be enough to get a search warrant.

It does seem from the latest report in The Mirror that there was no obvious sign of disagreement or aggravation between the two while at the restaurant, nor excessive alcohol intake. That doesn't necessarily mean any of these things didn't happen later in the evening, but it does shed new light on the context and mood.

MOO but all it takes to make a CCTV recording disappear is a bribe and a convenient excuse.
It's hard isn't it, not to be suspicious/cynical, given the suggestions of corruption and incompetence in LE there. Hopefully that's not the case...

A quick search does show that power surges on the USVI are pretty commonplace, and loss of equipment/functionality is frustratingly typical.

I agree. I too am not implying she was not a victim but it's as though she's making this about her and wanting to be in the spotlight. At this point, anytime I start to read what she has to say, I stop reading. If you feel so threatened that you're worried RB will show up at anytime, you should have done something about it in the last 3/4 of a decade. Stories about killing and cooking a deer and how RB got the dog in the divorce is not helping find Sarm

It happens that some will make money off the hardships of others.

More than anything, she has confirmed that the Captain is capable of doing some fairly nasty deeds. If she was a victim of DV, then she probably does keep a weapon close by if her psyche's been harmed.

I don't mind if she makes a little jingle as long as it's the truth she's telling. Besides, it is keeping the news of Sarm in the headlines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd