NM - Officer Darian Jarrott, 28, fatally shot during Traffic Stop, I-10 near Las Cruces, 4 FEB 2021

Lemon Drop

Reaction score
"Sickening footage shows violent criminal Omar Felix Cueva, 39, stepping out of the driver's side of his Chevrolet pick-up truck with an AR-15-style rifle before firing one shot at New Mexico officer Darrian Jarrott over the rear of the vehicle.

Jarrott, 28, fell to the ground, at which point Cueva walked over to him and him several more times, including once point-blank in the head. He then took off in his truck on a 40-mile police chase that saw him die in a hail of bullets."

Moment drug dealer, 39, jumps out of his truck and shoots father-of-three cop dead | Daily Mail Online

"Sickening footage shows violent criminal Omar Felix Cueva, 39, stepping out of the driver's side of his Chevrolet pick-up truck with an AR-15-style rifle before firing one shot at New Mexico officer Darrian Jarrott over the rear of the vehicle.

Jarrott, 28, fell to the ground, at which point Cueva walked over to him and him several more times, including once point-blank in the head. He then took off in his truck on a 40-mile police chase that saw him die in a hail of bullets."

Moment drug dealer, 39, jumps out of his truck and shoots father-of-three cop dead | Daily Mail Online

Can't watch it. Officer Jarrott's family obviously can't. However the media should be showing it over and over again. JMO

God Bless this Officer. My deepest condolences to his fellow Officers.

Anybody, anywhere that is a cop in these days? Unimaginable.

28 years old this Officer. 28!

Can't watch it. Officer Jarrott's family obviously can't. However the media should be showing it over and over again. JMO

Thankfully they don’t show the actual shooting/death of this officer. The video stops right as the suspect is taking the first shot.
One thing I noticed in the video is how polite, calm and respectful this officer was to this guy. He immediately explained the reason for the traffic stop (tinted windows) and didn’t raise his voice or come across as demanding or threatening.
He even sees the rifle in the guy’s truck and asks him to give it to him for his safety. Still not raising his voice or becoming angry.

But this monster just shoots him anyway. And then executes him. Cold blood. This officer had 3 young children and another on the way. How senseless. And the piece of garbage that shot him ended up dying in a hail of gunfire a few minutes later.
Absolutely senseless. RIP to this brave policeman who was only trying to do his job and make the community a safer place.
MOO since this is just a recap of my memory of the article I read that the OP posted above.

Meanwhile the murderer had on a bullet proof vest. Moved a mountain of crystal meth in the past. Forgery. Just a rap sheet out the wazoo, and murders an Officer of the law with three children and a baby on the way?

Today. Even twenty years ago you wore the uniform you had a target on your back.

Officer Jarrott is a HERO! A word that's gotten all misconstrued for too long now.

This cop killer has to face a higher power.

This happened Feb. 4, 2021. LE is just now releasing the camera footage. I think the last part is from a citizen's cellphone.

I'm not sure which part of the whole sequence resulted in the image below from CNN. There is yellow tape outlining an area between patrol cars.

210204222025-new-mexico-high-speed-police-chase-large-169.jpg

New Mexico: Fatal shooting of police officer Darian Jarrott leads to a 40-mile chase and shootout - CNN

I can't imagine being a cop these days. Damned if you do damned if you don't. He was completely respectful never even raised his voice or pulled out his gun.

I can't imagine being a cop these days. Damned if you do damned if you don't. He was completely respectful never even raised his voice or pulled out his gun.
It has always been dangerous, though more so today due to the huge number of firearms and drugs out there. This is a tragedy, and I am glad the monster who murdered him was taken off the streets. Officer Jarrott was a hero, and his family deserved to grow up with him.

Thankfully they don’t show the actual shooting/death of this officer. The video stops right as the suspect is taking the first shot.
One thing I noticed in the video is how polite, calm and respectful this officer was to this guy. He immediately explained the reason for the traffic stop (tinted windows) and didn’t raise his voice or come across as demanding or threatening.
He even sees the rifle in the guy’s truck and asks him to give it to him for his safety. Still not raising his voice or becoming angry.

But this monster just shoots him anyway. And then executes him. Cold blood. This officer had 3 young children and another on the way. How senseless. And the piece of garbage that shot him ended up dying in a hail of gunfire a few minutes later.
Absolutely senseless. RIP to this brave policeman who was only trying to do his job and make the community a safer place.
MOO since this is just a recap of my memory of the article I read that the OP posted above.

I wish he had backup sooner. So many officers are killed at these stops. We need standardized training and routines for how to make these stops safer for police and for civilians.

This occurred on February 5th. It is interesting and unfortunate that the Daily Mail put this out today, presumably to counteract the press being given to another appalling incident that has hit the news due to a lawsuit. I appreciate that they brought attention to the death of this young man, but I sincerely hope they are not exploiting his death in order to minimize and justify the mistreatment of a US serviceman.

This occurred on February 5th. It is interesting and unfortunate that the Daily Mail put this out today, presumably to counteract the press being given to another appalling incident that has hit the news due to a lawsuit. I appreciate that they brought attention to the death of this young man, but I sincerely hope they are not exploiting his death in order to minimize and justify the mistreatment of a US serviceman.
I believe there is a thread for this elsewhere and out of respect for this officer it should be left there.

I wish he had backup sooner. So many officers are killed at these stops. We need standardized training and routines for how to make these stops safer for police and for civilians.
I do not want to derail this thread away from this officer but this post sounds a bit like victim blaming and a separate agenda.There are other threads for the subject.

I do not want to derail this thread away from this officer but this post sounds a bit like victim blaming and a separate agenda.There are other threads for the subject.
In no way would I blame the officer for not having backup. He was a hero, and he did not deserve this. I just wish backup was there to deter this horrible, horrible tragedy. I wish these stops were safer for all. I hope that clarifies things.

I honestly did not know that this happened in Feb and by no means am i trying to victim blame. this tragedy was only brought to my attention today. I should have done more research. I was only posting this to bring light into the gun violence America has suffered this past week...

The video was just released Friday. I’m sure that’s the reason they put it out and no other reason. Many other news outlets just released the video as well. IMO

How about keeping repeated violent offenders incarcerated.
The US does have longer sentences and the biggest percentage of citizens incarcerated in the entire world. You cannot keep them locked up forever. There just would not be enough prisons.

is it common to approach the passenger side of the vehicle and communicate with the driver there?
I know there's a danger of being hit by a passing vehicle when on the driver's side but around here, cops park their vehicles behind and slightly to the left of the pulled over car as a safety precaution - I've never seen them approach the passenger side unless there's two or more cops
just wondering if it is standard procedure there ...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back