MN - Daunte Wright, 20, fatally shot by police during traffic stop, Brooklyn Center, 11 April 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
"In a brief clip of body camera video, officers from the Brooklyn Center Police Department can be seen trying to handcuff the driver, Daunte Wright, before he suddenly lurches back into his car. One of the officers aims a weapon at Mr. Wright and shouts, “Taser! Taser! Taser!”
Minnesota Officer Who Shot Daunte Wright Meant to Fire Taser, Chief Says
He wasn't just standing still, he went to go back into his car.

Did you watch the body cam video? It tells you more than that description above.

I hope this is ok to post... Its long and kinda detailed.

Daunte Wright accused of choking and robbing woman at gunpoint, had arrest warrant

...snipped...
Wright and another man, identified as Emajay Maurice Driver, a high school acquaintance, had both been charged with first-degree aggravated robbery in a December 2019 incident in Osseso, Minn., Hennepin County District Court documents show.
As Wright and Driver were waiting for their rides, the other woman who stayed behind said Wright allegedly blocked the door, preventing her from leaving. Wright then allegedly pulled a black handgun "with silver trim out from either his right waistband or his right coat pocket," pointed it at the woman and demanded the $820, the court documents say.
The victim asked him, "Are you serious?" to which he allegedly responded, "Give me the f---ing money, I know you have it," according to the court documents.

When she asked again if he was serious, he allegedly told her, "I’m not playing around."

Wright then allegedly choked the woman while trying to pull the cash out from under her bra, where she had tucked it away.

https://www.scribd.com/document/502729366/12-4-Arrest#download

See page 5 of 6 for charges
And does that justify killing him?

How is this even a little bit relevant? The punishment for resisting arrest is not being shot. With a gun OR a taser. It has not escalated to that degree. We can all see what happened with our own eyes. She was afraid of him. And it was not because of any knowledge of a previous incident.
It is very relevant. It's the difference between life and death.

It’s fascinating to me how 20 people can view one thing and interpret it in 20 different ways. I don’t think any 2 of us feel the same way or think the same things when we watch that body cam footage.

This is just awful.

I dont get why the details of some crime a person may have committed (remember, innocent until proven guilty as has been said of the policewoman) is seen as justifying shooting someone dead. Sure, he may have been a really bad person, but he does deserve to die like that.

I dont get why the details of some crime a person may have committed (remember, innocent until proven guilty as has been said of the policewoman) is seen as justifying shooting someone dead. Sure, he may have been a really bad person, but he does deserve to die like that.
Under the law, it absolutely doesn’t. Innocent until proven guilty and all that. Everyone deserves their day in court. Seems some people have forgotten about basic civics and the right to a jury of our peers. Police officers are not judge and jury. They don’t have the right to murder us because they are afraid or because we have committed a crime in the past.

It’s fascinating to me how 20 people can view one thing and interpret it in 20 different ways. I don’t think any 2 of us feel the same way or think the same things when we watch that body cam footage.

This is just awful.
To some extent. But it's possible to keep an open mind and view something like this and see the steps that led up to the fatal incident.

Under the law, it absolutely doesn’t. Innocent until proven guilty and all that. Everyone deserves their day in court. Seems some people have forgotten about basic civics and the right to a jury of our peers. Police officers are not judge and jury. They don’t have the right to murder us because they are afraid or because we have committed a crime in the past.
So the officer who shot him is afforded that same sentiment?

They should prevent him from fleeing. If he successfully gets away, kills someone in the process, what then? Why didn’t they stop him? I’m only speaking to why they would have wanted to keep him detained. Nothing else.

There's always going to be people who commit crimes and who don't comply. I don't see how that will ever change.

We need to focus on what we can change. We can't have police out there killing people without justification.

We need real change and we need to demand changes!!!!!!

There's always going to be people who commit crimes and who don't comply. I don't see how that will ever change.

We need to focus on what we can change. We can't have police out there killing people without justification.

We need real change and we need to demand changes!!!!!!

Very well said. Let's pay our police well, train them well, and give them what they need to do their jobs safely and with accountability. I actually think we will see more members of the younger generation step up to join the ranks, and I think they will start to demand better, too. Things don't have to be this way. Police and civilians can interact safely, and justice can be administered properly.

Very well said. Let's pay our police well, train them well, and give them what they need to do their jobs safely and with accountability. I actually think we will see more members of the younger generation step up to join the ranks, and I think they will start to demand better, too. Things don't have to be this way. Police and civilians can interact safely, and justice can be administered properly.

I couldn't agree more!!!!

Taser Policy or Guidelines?
@kittythehare Thx for your post w this info. I wonder if it is actually from the policy manual of Brooklyn Center PD, as the pages* refer to the "Medford Police Department" (bbm) not to Brooklyn Center PD.

Linked pages appear to have come from Lexipol, a private company which offers services to law enforcement agencies, including policy manuals, per Public Safety Policies | Policy & Training Management | Lexipol
Re the Lexipol company generally.**

** "Services
"Lexipol offers policy manuals with an updating service, ... Lexipol offers their services to police departments,...
"The policy manuals provided by Lexipol can be customized by the contracting agency. Updates to the policy manual are presented to agencies in a mark-up form, allowing them to accept, reject or customize as needed.[14]
"... Lexipol requires contracting agencies to sign an indemnification clause, stating "We only suggest content". Lexipol's contracts state that Lexipol is not the policymaker..."
^ Lexipol - Wikipedia

Last edited:
No doubt she will have a lawyer to defend herself.Too bad Wright will never get the same chance.
She has a lawyer
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/04/13/kim-potter-daunte-wright-shooting/

This is her lawyer

Potter attorney also represents officer in Floyd case

Washington County Prosecutor Pete Orput told CNN that he "hopes" to have a charging decision regarding Potter in the fatal shooting of Wright by Wednesday.

Earl Gray, a St. Paul-based attorney, told CNN he is representing Potter.

Gray is also the attorney for Thomas Lane, one of the four officers involved in Floyd's death who faces criminal charges. He was also a defense attorney for Jeronimo Yanez, the former St. Anthony, Minnesota, police officer who was found not guilty of second-degree manslaughter for the fatal shooting of Castile.

Officer who shot, killed Daunte Wright and Brooklyn Center police chief both resign

Taser Policy or Guidelines?
@kittythehare Thx for your post w this info. I wonder if it is actually from the policy manual of Brooklyn Center PD, as the pages* refer to the "Medford Police Department" (bbm) not to Brooklyn Center PD.

Linked pages appear to have come from Lexipol, a private company which offers services to law enforcement agencies, including policy manuals, per Public Safety Policies | Policy & Training Management | Lexipol
Re the Lexipol company generally.**

** "Services
"Lexipol offers policy manuals with an updating service, ... Lexipol offers their services to police departments,...
"The policy manuals provided by Lexipol can be customized by the contracting agency. Updates to the policy manual are presented to agencies in a mark-up form, allowing them to accept, reject or customize as needed.[14]
"... Lexipol requires contracting agencies to sign an indemnification clause, stating "We only suggest content". Lexipol's contracts state that Lexipol is not the policymaker..."
^ Lexipol - Wikipedia
Thanks.
I just searched MN. specifically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads