Found Deceased Spain - Esther Dingley, from UK, missing in the Pyrenees, November 2020 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weather forecast for the coming week

The good weather we have had this Easter Week will come to an end just when this holiday ends on the night of Easter Monday. On Tuesday, a cold snap arrives which will cause a drop of almost ten degrees Celsius in the thermometers, a situation which will last until Thursday, when temperatures will recover again.

The mass of cold air that enters on Tuesday night arrives from Greenland, it will also cause strong gusts of wind. In the Pyrenees, the snow level could drop to 400 metres and in areas such as Benasque and Jaca the minimum temperatures will be six degrees below zero. Between five and ten centimetres of snow may accumulate in these hours in the highest areas of the Pyrenees.

BBM

Do we know that Esther did not have her travel pouch/papers with her?

Did the dossier reveal that she left them in the RV? Wouldn't she need some form of ID to drive and possibly to cross borders during COVID lockdown? Surely they were either in the RV or on her person, and not left at the housesit.

Anyway, do we know anything about this part?

Do we know that Esther did not have her travel pouch/papers with her?

Did the dossier reveal that she left them in the RV? Wouldn't she need some form of ID to drive and possibly to cross borders during COVID lockdown? Surely they were either in the RV or on her person, and not left at the housesit.

Anyway, do we know anything about this part?

BBM
From the site linked below, "If you are an EU national, you do not need to show your national ID card or passport when you are travelling from one border-free Schengen EU country to another.

Even if you don't need a passport for border checks within the Schengen area
ico-external-link.png
, it is still always highly recommended to take a passport or ID card with you, so you can prove your identity if needed (if stopped by police, boarding a plane, etc.). Schengen EU countries have the possibility of adopting national rules obliging you to hold or carry papers and documents when you are present on their territory."

I have a hunch she is somewhere in Spain.
However, it appears Esther, as a national of Netherlands, could cross borders within the Schengen area without showing ID.

I'm curious how, with no ID necessary, a person could prove what nationality they hold.
Travel documents for EU nationals

BBM
From the site linked below, "If you are an EU national, you do not need to show your national ID card or passport when you are travelling from one border-free Schengen EU country to another.

Even if you don't need a passport for border checks within the Schengen area
ico-external-link.png
, it is still always highly recommended to take a passport or ID card with you, so you can prove your identity if needed (if stopped by police, boarding a plane, etc.). Schengen EU countries have the possibility of adopting national rules obliging you to hold or carry papers and documents when you are present on their territory."

I have a hunch she is somewhere in Spain.
However, it appears Esther, as a national of Netherlands, could cross borders within the Schengen area without showing ID.

I'm curious how, with no ID necessary, a person could prove what nationality they hold.
Travel documents for EU nationals

Esther would have needed her ID, driver's licence, medical insurance card, registration papers of the van and International Vehicle Insurance card. No way she would have gone on her trip without those. She'd need the ID to register at hostals and gites, and to identify herself on request. She would have taken that with her on her hikes. In Spain, an ID is obligatory for anyone over the age of 14.

I followed these threads back in December and posted something similar much earlier which is probably lost in the conversation and more details have emerged since then including Dan Colegate's dossier which does give a lot of detail. I am struck by his high level of confidence in her abilities and given his close relationship with her and her experience it is hard to argue that this is correct but experience can also lead to actions/behaviour outside of what others would feel is a comfortable level of risk.

He says that if she had left the area of no mobile signal (near Pic de Sauvegarde) without problems she would have contacted someone on 23rd November, the day after she last made contact on 22nd November. His dossier also gives an estimate of the extent of mobile phone signal, presumably from his observations (though I would not rely on this too precisely as UHF cellular phone signal propagation is affected by things that vary day to day and minute-to-minute such as weather/humidity). In any case, she had been walking at that point for several days and it is perfectly plausible her battery pack was low or it might have even run out on the night of 22nd November making communication on 23rd impossible. Phone batteries and battery packs are notoriously problematic in cold weather. Given that the Pic de Sauvegarde area, and the area around the Refuge de Venasque was very closely searched (perhaps with the exception of the water in the lakes), it is less likely she is there though not impossible. Foul play ( in that area )seems unlikely as she would have probably have been found.

It seems likely that ED planned to descend towards the Hospice de France direction (North by North East) from the Refuge de Venasque at some point and it is perfectly plausible to me given her high level of fitness that on descending from the Pic de Sauvegarde on 22nd she reached the Refuge de Venasque quite early in the evening on 22nd and may have decided to progress further and camp further down near Hospice de France that same evening. Perhaps she just didn't fancy staying the night in the mountains on her own (I certainly wouldn't) or became unnerved by lack of phone signal at the Refuge de Venasque- bear in mind it was late November.

In any case, whether she stayed at the Refuge de Venasque (no sign reported of this) or camped lower down, it is perfectly plausible that she was up early on 23rd near the Hospice de France and ready to join the Chemin de 'Impeatrice in a generally Westward direction. This area is well described on this link including photos of the route: Chemin de l'impératrice entre l'hospice de France et le cirque de la Glère AA - ONVQF.over-blog.com (over-blog.com) . This blog contains a very detailed map of the area, and I note terrain on the Chemin is very steep to each side and the blog makes reference to various places where trips/falls are a risk including at some point ropes having been deployed to hold on. There are also some waterfalls near the start of the Chemin. Perhaps she set off early on the 23rd and had an accident on the Chemin de l'Impeatrice before she turned on her phone and touched base with Dan Colegate or her family. Although his dossier says this area was searched, I find it hard to believe that this area further down was searched in detail given that limited time available before the snow started and also the fact that it is a wooded and the steep area means it would be very easy to miss someone. The helicopters used in the search would have been of limited use in this area. Furthermore, the Chemin de L'Impeatrice is quite a long walk to Port de Glere through at least 1600m of wooded area so the search area is quite extensive and I think cannot have been completed to date.

My hypothesis is that she had an accident further along her planned path, perhaps in the area above but there are other possibilities like like foul play or a fall into water at the Refuge de Venasque etc which seem less likely.

I followed these threads back in December and posted something similar much earlier which is probably lost in the conversation and more details have emerged since then including Dan Colegate's dossier which does give a lot of detail. I am struck by his high level of confidence in her abilities and given his close relationship with her and her experience it is hard to argue that this is correct but experience can also lead to actions/behaviour outside of what others would feel is a comfortable level of risk.

He says that if she had left the area of no mobile signal (near Pic de Sauvegarde) without problems she would have contacted someone on 23rd November, the day after she last made contact on 22nd November. His dossier also gives an estimate of the extent of mobile phone signal, presumably from his observations (though I would not rely on this too precisely as UHF cellular phone signal propagation is affected by things that vary day to day and minute-to-minute such as weather/humidity). In any case, she had been walking at that point for several days and it is perfectly plausible her battery pack was low or it might have even run out on the night of 22nd November making communication on 23rd impossible. Phone batteries and battery packs are notoriously problematic in cold weather. Given that the Pic de Sauvegarde area, and the area around the Refuge de Venasque was very closely searched (perhaps with the exception of the water in the lakes), it is less likely she is there though not impossible. Foul play ( in that area )seems unlikely as she would have probably have been found.

It seems likely that ED planned to descend towards the Hospice de France direction (North by North East) from the Refuge de Venasque at some point and it is perfectly plausible to me given her high level of fitness that on descending from the Pic de Sauvegarde on 22nd she reached the Refuge de Venasque quite early in the evening on 22nd and may have decided to progress further and camp further down near Hospice de France that same evening. Perhaps she just didn't fancy staying the night in the mountains on her own (I certainly wouldn't) or became unnerved by lack of phone signal at the Refuge de Venasque- bear in mind it was late November.

In any case, whether she stayed at the Refuge de Venasque (no sign reported of this) or camped lower down, it is perfectly plausible that she was up early on 23rd near the Hospice de France and ready to join the Chemin de 'Impeatrice in a generally Westward direction. This area is well described on this link including photos of the route: Chemin de l'impératrice entre l'hospice de France et le cirque de la Glère AA - ONVQF.over-blog.com (over-blog.com) . This blog contains a very detailed map of the area, and I note terrain on the Chemin is very steep to each side and the blog makes reference to various places where trips/falls are a risk including at some point ropes having been deployed to hold on. There are also some waterfalls near the start of the Chemin. Perhaps she set off early on the 23rd and had an accident on the Chemin de l'Impeatrice before she turned on her phone and touched base with Dan Colegate or her family. Although his dossier says this area was searched, I find it hard to believe that this area further down was searched in detail given that limited time available before the snow started and also the fact that it is a wooded and the steep area means it would be very easy to miss someone. The helicopters used in the search would have been of limited use in this area. Furthermore, the Chemin de L'Impeatrice is quite a long walk to Port de Glere through at least 1600m of wooded area so the search area is quite extensive and I think cannot have been completed to date.

My hypothesis is that she had an accident further along her planned path, perhaps in the area above but there are other possibilities like like foul play or a fall into water at the Refuge de Venasque etc which seem less likely.
I was just thinking about Esther as it has been a while since there was a post .. and was pleased to find and read your post. I think what you say sounds very feasible. The only thing I’d query is that you say she’d been walking for several days up until 22 nd and her battery pack may have run out or been low - but I’m not sure that is correct. Hadn’t she had a break from walking just prior to 22nd? but anyway, your suggestion of location for an accident sounds likely to me.

That's a well laid out hypothesis. I see from the map on your link that Chemin de l'Impeatrice is actually in that fairly large wooded area to the North of the refuge de Venasque (which I see now is called Bois de Sajust).

I speculated on here a while ago about that being a possible location of interest, and I share your doubts about the likelihood of it having all been searched in the time that was available.

I was just thinking about Esther as it has been a while since there was a post .. and was pleased to find and read your post. I think what you say sounds very feasible. The only thing I’d query is that you say she’d been walking for several days up until 22 nd and her battery pack may have run out or been low - but I’m not sure that is correct. Hadn’t she had a break from walking just prior to 22nd? but anyway, your suggestion of location for an accident sounds likely to me.
Yes sorry you are quite correct she had not been walking for several days - she set off on 21st but nonetheless assuming she slept somewhere on the night of 22nd by the morning of 23rd she would have at that point have been out in a fairly cold environment for most of 2 days so an inoperable battery pack is possible (or she might have not charged it fully before leaving) . Even with a full battery and reception she might have fallen and not been able to turn on her phone if it wasn’t switched off .

Desaparecen tres montañeros solitarios en cuatro meses en el Pirineo: "Nunca hay que salir solo"

montaneros-desaparecidos.jpeg

In just over four months, three solo hikers have gone missing in the Pyrenees: "You should never go out alone"

In little more than four months, up to three mountaineers have been lost in the Pyrenees while out on a hike, an absolutely anomalous situation. As reported by Heraldo de Aragón, the Englishwoman Esther Dingley (37) went missing on 22 November on the Salvaguardia peak in Benasque; shortly before Christmas, Andrés Funes (61), a resident of Huesca, went missing in the French valley of Aspe. Finally, Miguel Villarroya (68) has not been heard from since 23 March, when he left Zaragoza for the mountains of Sallent de Gállego.

The coronavirus pandemic could be related to this strange coincidence in such a short time because more people are inclined to go out alone in the mountains so as not to go in groups. The problem is that in the event of an accident they won't find help, according to Guardia Civil lieutenant Santiago Gómez, head of the Mountain Rescue and Intervention Group (Greim) of Aragon and Navarre.

"There are few people in the mountains because of mobility restrictions. Nobody has seen the missing people and if they have had a problem, they have not been able to ask for help", says Gómez, who has recommended that "you should never go out alone". "The best thing to do is to go in groups of three: if something happens to one person, another stays with the injured person and the third goes to ask for help. And in any case, you have to tell them where you are going," he adds. However, none of the three specified their itinerary.

"Some people don't want to get together, not so much in the open air but when travelling, and they're encouraged to go out alone," says Marta Ferrer, coordinator of the Montaña Segura campaign. "We don't recommend solo activities, but we are aware that these mountaineers do exist. We regularly see them in the news because of incidents. They are more vulnerable in the event of an accident," she says.

The president of the Peña Guara mountain club in Huesca, Manolo Bara, for his part, insists on the difficulty of locating lone mountaineers. "You can fall on a rock, get dizzy... and end up in a small ravine or a canyon where no one can see you. If you haven't specified your route, they won't find you. Maybe they pass you and don't see you. Sometimes it takes years to find them. And with fewer people in the mountains now, even if you call for help, there is less chance of someone helping you," he explains.

The search for Miguel Villarroya is still active, but the search for Esther Dingley was interrupted by the first snowfalls. In the case of Funes, the search has continued when the weather has permitted, but without any news.

BBM

Meanwhile, the remains of Miguel Villarroya were found last week on the French side of the Arriel Peak.

The description of Miguel Villaroya is eerily reminiscent of that of Esther Dingley:

Miguel Villarroya had been missing since 23 March, when he told one of his sisters that he was going to Sallent de Gállego to spend a couple of days in the mountains. On the 29th, when there had been no news of him for several days, his family reported him missing at the Civil Guard station in Casetas. He was a mountaineering enthusiast - he usually went with good equipment- and often practised it alone, although he was not an expert mountaineer.

Localizan muerto en Francia al montañero zaragozano desaparecido hace 3 semanas

The Olive Press also has this article from 10 Dec 2020, and it says Dan was meant to meet Esther on the 25th at an event at Gascony. This is the first time I've heard about this event:

https://www.theolivepress.es/spain-...as-images-on-social-media-suggest-say-police/

".... Esther reached the mountain top and sent her boyfriend a selfie of her smiling from the summit. That was the last time anyone heard from Esther, and boyfriend Colgate reported her missing three days later when she didn’t show up at an event he was at in Gascony, southwestern France."

The Olive Press also has this article from 10 Dec 2020, and it says Dan was meant to meet Esther on the 25th at an event at Gascony. This is the first time I've heard about this event:

https://www.theolivepress.es/spain-...as-images-on-social-media-suggest-say-police/

".... Esther reached the mountain top and sent her boyfriend a selfie of her smiling from the summit. That was the last time anyone heard from Esther, and boyfriend Colgate reported her missing three days later when she didn’t show up at an event he was at in Gascony, southwestern France."

This link doesn't open for me, but isn't the farmhouse where Dan was house-sitting in Gascony? If so, I imagine the "event" Esther reportedly didn't "show up at" was a reunion there with Dan.

I have read about this quite a bit and from the beginning, but I don’t have any links to share Im afraid.

They obviously made that up, perhaps due to a mistake in translation or a typo. Esther was supposed to return to the gite where they were staying.

Yes, I don't think there would have been social events in Gascony in lockdown.

Some thoughts on this after reading through all the threads.

-- Dan believes that ED is very skilled and prepared for winter solo overnight hikes in the high mountains. But there is enough circumstantial evidence to suggest that actually, she is not. For example, she appears not to take enough food to cover her nutritional needs-- taking a lettuce, a pepper and some oats for an overnight hike is not enough food, and she was lucky that she came across another hiker who agreed to share her food. Esther also seems to not understand that if she does not take enough food, she will either (a) be left short which is dangerous or (b) force another hiker to go short potentially because they have to share their food with her. Sorry Dan but asking another hiker you just met by chance for fruit does not strike me as "part of a commitment to a healthy lifestyle", if Esther is committed to a healthy lifestyle she can ensure she has enough food including fruit for her trip.

-- Esther's messages to Dan about her plans are really, really vague and concerning. She "hopes" the refuge has a winter room, so that suggests she has not checked beforehand to ensure that she will have a safe place to stay overnight in the winter in the high mountains where she could die if she has no shelter. She "might dip into France" meaning she has no idea of where her route might take her, in winter in the high mountains.

She tells him she might not have cell signal, meaning if she has an accident, in winter in the high mountains, she won't be able to call for help.

These are not the actions of a skilled hiker. They are the actions of someone who leaves things to serendipity.

-- Esther was actually pretty isolated. She and Dan had been travelling alone, albeit yes with stops to make friends, but that is not the same as a settled lifestyle with friends you can see regularly to get some time away from your partner. To get some time away from each other she has to drive to a solo hike in dangerous conditions during a national lockdown where there will be far fewer, if any, people around to help her either supply her with the food that she fails to bring herself, give her company, give her advice, and keep her safe if she has an accident.

-- The couple do seem to have had diverging plans on what they wanted to do. They had been living a bit of a fantasy lifestyle traveling about for years but the reality was they were running out of money and circumstances around them had changed meaning that they were faced with some serious decisions about their future. They were also at an age where people do tend to consider settling down, kids, and so on, so this must have been a tough time for them.

-- They painted a picture of their lives on social media that was a bit of a fantasy. They had an idea that they could make money selling self published children's books about dogs which is a lovely idea but in practice would not likely have generated very much if any income. Also their social media lifestyle of being outdoor van life hikers and the cute messages of the books are not really for the same audience, so they would have had to do marketing beyond their existing social media, which they were not doing, and in any case their social media seems very unknown. It's not generating much interest. The BBC article would have driven traffic to them but its message was about their lifestyle not about cute children's books, so again it's not going to drive sales. They were facing having to do a lot of work, which Esther does not seem to have been that engaged with beyond some barely-read social media posts about doggy books.

My point here is that Esther, who clearly wanted to spend her life trekking about, and felt that this was what was keeping her from being depressed and so on, was facing having to make a serious lifestyle change that neither of them appeared prepared for or skilled in doing. Kudos for getting some media attention, but it would not have driven sales of doggy kids books, unless they put in some very serious marketing work which would have involved investment of time and money. And even then I don't think this was going to make them a living.

It was clearly a very difficult time for Esther and she coped with it by running away for a trek that she kept extending, not wanting to come home.

She was not prepared, was ill equipped, either didn't really know where she was going, she "hoped" there was a winter room, so the most likely hypothesis in my view is she went on a different route from the one Dan believed she was on, and had an accident and just wasn't seen, in the way that the other hikers who came to grief in the mountains in that region did. The SAR expedition was to find a living hiker on the trail that Dan believed she was on.

Dan's selection of messages does not show what he was asking her, we do know that he had sent her a lot of messages, she claims she needed them to get her going in the morning. That does not strike me as a confident, happy person, but someone who is a bit down and who needs her partner to gee her up.

I understand why he wants to believe she was well equipped and skilled, but a well equipped and skilled person doesn't go hiking in winter in the mountains with almost no food and no real idea of whether there is overnight shelter. She also doesn't give only vague details of her route. Hitching during a lockdown as a lone female also isn't very wise.

I feel desperately sorry for both of them and for their families.

Good summary of the situation!

she isn’t acting like an experienced hiker during those last days and it points to the likelihood that she perhaps had an accident and the location is just not clear based on what she had told Dan.

Maybe she isn’t acting as an experienced hiker because of those rather bleak circumstances,
When she went on a hike with just the meagre rations of oats, pepper etc I think this was a planned overnight hike with the girl she had met so there was no excuse to not be prepared in terms of food supplies.

I’m not sure if she was deliberately vague in her communication with Dan on those last days... or whether she just was vague about her plans in her own head and communicated them as such. Either way, it has not helped her situation. I feel for her and her family but it does highlight that putting yourself at risk in a mountainous environment means also putting a whole lot of others at risk too.

There are quite a few clues as to Esther’s state of mind including her relationship with food in the days leading up to her disappearance in her Facebook posts. She does not have much engagement at all on her posts and so we can assume she is telling the truth and not writing for an audience

on 20 November 2020 she wrote something that together with the evidence that she took a surprisingly small amount of food on her trips and that she often asked for food makes me wonder if she might have had a problematic relationship with food or even disordered eating.

right now for one reason or another I'm separated from these wonderful dogs and I've realised something... Dog walks are so healing for my overactive mind and my waistline! stopping my cravings to eat... ”

Esther did not appear overweight and talks about using the dogs to control her eating. That’s not someone who has a healthy diet or healthy relationship with food.

she also writes about her lack of motivation and direction without the dogs. She doesn’t mention Dan. She doesn’t sound happy or like a person who has direction and purpose. She sounds like someone who is trying to keep moving to keep bad thoughts at bay.
“The dogs give me the motivation to get outside when at times, I don't want the stimulation of a movie or social media... not even a book or writing in my journal.. don't feel like calling anyone. Times.. when I don't want to feel pressure to sit behind the computer and do more work (whuch is an endless rabbit hole for me at times)..”

Plus this:

Whereas now I've had a good day but still want to go and enjoy the cool night air yet i have no motivation to just wonder round the village on my own...”

these are Esther’s own words. The police officer was I believe right that everything wasn’t so rosy. But I think it wasn’t just her relationship with Dan — it was her general mood, something deeper.

It all for me adds reasons to think she wasn’t prepared, wasn’t happy, wasn’t in a great frame of mind, was running from herself and probably just ended up having an accident that proved fatal. She wasn’t where she vaguely indicated to Dan she’d be.

I think you’re probably right! Definitely points to an unhealthy relationship with food. Perhaps control in that area was vital to Esther as she couldn’t control anything else.
It all sounds quite bleak. I’m wondering whether Dan was frantically trying to help her by all the messages and encouragement and had recognised she was in some turmoil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla