MD - Peyton Ham, 16, fatally shot by state police trooper, Leonardtown, Apr 2021

SaguaroSpirit

Reaction score
"LEONARDTOWN, Md. (AP) — A Maryland State Police trooper responding to a pair of 911 calls shot and killed a teenager who was pointing what investigators determined was an airsoft gun at him, authorities said Tuesday.

The shooting occurred after state police received two 911 calls about someone acting suspicious, Superintendent Woodrow Jones II told a news conference. The first caller said he thought the person had a gun, left a telephone number but didn't give an address before hanging up, Jones said. "

Maryland trooper shoots, kills teenager who had airsoft gun

This reminds me very much of the shooting of John Crawford at Walmart in Beavercreek Ohio. John was holding a BB gun that looked real, and he was shot and killed by police.
Why can't LE shoot for the legs? The killer at the grocery story in Colorado killed several people, including a police officer, but was shot in the leg and taken alive.

I know every case is different, but I do always wonder why legs are not the target.

jmo

Why can't LE shoot for the legs? The killer at the grocery story in Colorado killed several people, including a police officer, but was shot in the leg and taken alive.

I know every case is different, but I do always wonder why legs are not the target.

jmo
I am not a member of LE but work very closely with several departments as a contractor. This is a question that we are asked very, very frequently.

The answer is that a wounded subject is very likely to be even a greater danger to bystanders and officers. Shooting them in an extremity does not disable them to the point that they aren’t able to shoot. It makes them more angry, agitated, and desperate. For the safety of officers, hostages, and bystanders officers are trained to shoot “center mass” to eliminate the threat.

Anyone who takes a firearms course will be taught to shoot center mass as well.

What people often don’t consider in these tragic cases is that if an officer DOESN’T shoot someone who is threatening with a gun or knife, and the person kills a bystander or other victim being threatened (girlfriend, wife, etc) the officer will be blamed.

It’s definitely a case of damned if you do and damned if you don’t.

Plus it is a split second decision that has to be made by the officer.

For example, if John Crawford did have a real gun (as reported by the 911 caller) in the Walmart, and started shooting customers and employees, the officers would have been slammed for not shooting him and costing the lives of employees and customers.

A waste of a young life is always sad, but reading the article it almost sounds like suicide by cop.
They (LE) should not have to wait until the gun is fired to determine if it's an airsoft or the real thing.
Imo.

What people often don’t consider in these tragic cases is that if an officer DOESN’T shoot someone who is threatening with a gun or knife, and the person kills a bystander or other victim being threatened (girlfriend, wife, etc) the officer will be blamed.

It’s definitely a case of damned if you do and damned if you don’t.

Plus it is a split second decision that has to be made by the officer.

For example, if John Crawford did have a real gun (as reported by the 911 caller) in the Walmart, and started shooting customers and employees, the officers would have been slammed for not shooting him and costing the lives of employees and customers.
bbm
Ita.
I find it reprehensible that LE are expected to basically 'know' if it's a genuine threat or not.
If a weapon, real or not -- is pointed at them, they should be allowed to defend themselves as well.

And what if the officer had waited or shot him in the hand, and the teen had an actual gun and fired it at a passerby ?
Then everyone would want the officers' head for allowing the teen to harm someone else.

We expect LE to protect us ... but slam them and judge them when we aren't out doing their job.
Walk a day or week in their shoes and see what they have to put up with.
I do not mean anyone here, just in the general sense.
I see some good and balanced perspectives being posted !!
MOO

Last edited:

jmo
That perp was shot in the leg because the officers shot wasn't that great. It is unrealistic to expect LE to shoot a suspect in the leg when they are brandishing a gun. Center Mass.

It's always centre mass. Just because a cop wings a suspect doesn't mean they had some altruistic motive. It usually means they are responding to the rush of adrenaline that's coursing through their veins during a tense situation. Their hands are shaking. So you rely on multiple shots to neutralize the subject. Sometimes what appears to be overkill illustrates just how many shots actually miss their target during a volley of shots.

That being said, living in Canada, we don't have people going into a Walmart picking up or buying any kind of weapon because Walmart Canada is not allowed to sell guns. So there's no possibility to get shot taking it out of the store. You can buy one air rifle to my knowledge that looks like a regular rifle.

Which brings me to how many people buy weapons or air rifles and BB guns in Walmart in the US? And how many have been shot while picking it up and looking through the sight?

I am not a member of LE but work very closely with several departments as a contractor. This is a question that we are asked very, very frequently.

The answer is that a wounded subject is very likely to be even a greater danger to bystanders and officers. Shooting them in an extremity does not disable them to the point that they aren’t able to shoot. It makes them more angry, agitated, and desperate. For the safety of officers, hostages, and bystanders officers are trained to shoot “center mass” to eliminate the threat.

Anyone who takes a firearms course will be taught to shoot center mass as well.
Thank you for that very thoughtful and thorough answer. It's good to be informed and learn more - thanks for helping me with that.

jmo

Mother Of Peyton Ham, Teen Killed In Trooper-Involved Shooting, Mourns 'Awesome Young Man'

The family statement focuses on their memories of Ham and his academic and personal achievements. They described him as “an incredibly smart, gifted sweet young man” with a “Alex P. Keaton” type personality, referring to the conservative, overachieving character played by Michael J. Fox on the 1980s-era sitcom “Family Ties.”

“Our family is absolutely heart broken and shattered over this sudden, unexpected loss of life of a talented young man, filled with promise,” the statement said. “Words cannot express the gratitude our family is feeling with the overwhelming love and support being extended by our friends and family in our amazing community.”

The family said Ham was an honor student at Leonardtown High School and history lover who enjoyed studying European history, ancient monarchies and the rise and fall of the former Soviet Union. His grandfather inspired his love for baseball and the Baltimore Orioles, in particular.

Ham was thrilled to make his school’s mock trial team and was picked to be a “prosecutor” for one of his team’s cases, his family said.

“Peyton dreamed of attending a 4-year university to obtain an undergraduate degree, and move on to pre-law, with the ultimate dream of being an elected Senator or Delegate, to represent his home state of Maryland,” the statement says.

Leonardtown High School Assistant Principal Katie Kortokrax made for a student-led memorial service on Saturday afternoon. Four of Ham’s Model United Nations Club members made the podium, his mother said. She noted that Ham’s stepsiblings, Kailey and Zach Long, wanted to have the 300-person event for students.

Community mourns Leonardtown 16-year-old's death

Worth reading - there are things to think about.

I note the officer says he did not have an issued Taser, so that wasn't an option. Is that odd, that he didn't have one?
And he did not have a body camera, which is a shame.

I also note that PH was the one who called 911; that is extremely sad. It sounds like he had depression but kept it hidden - heartbreaking.

All IMO.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77