MN - George Floyd, 46, died in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #16 - Chauvin Trial Day 13

Status
Not open for further replies.
JB: Is it true that in all the world literature, there have only been 6 reported cases of people who have died from a sudden heart event from adrenaline release from a paraganglioma.
DF: That's what the literature says…

JB cut off the rest of his response.

https://twitter.com/anavilastra/status/1382418607179771908?s=21

JB: Do you feel that Mr. Floyd should have been given the needed emergency attention to try to reverse the cardiac arrest?
DF: As a physician I would agree.

JB: Are you critical on the fact that he wasn't given immediate emergency care when he went into cardiac arrest?
DF: As a physician I would agree.

https://twitter.com/anavilastra/status/1382416594522025990?s=21

I thought Blackwell was going to seize on this with a follow up to the effect of ‘who in your opinion should have provided that medical attention?’

Blackwell did say 'before' lol
He did!
And we talked a lot about how the Defense "can't have it both ways" but I think the same for the State....I don't understand the point at asking multiple questions about if this witness used or tested for "quantities data" about GF'S breathing when he was laying on the ground or in the car. Of course he didn't, this witness wasn't even there, no one at the scene did that. The State has also argued many times that GF didn't get medical attention soon enough, medical attention sooner still wouldn't have involved testing like that, so of course this witness wouldn't have this data on his breathing. What's the point in trying to prove to the jury that this witness didn't have that? They know he wasn't at the scene. They know that testing wasn't done....by anyone....

Because he was trained that it could. We are trained not to drink and drive. Yet, a person continues to do it and nothing happens for years. One day, he gets in a wreck and murders someone. How was he supposed to reasonable know it'd be murderous that one time? :(
This is comparing apples to oranges I feel. I don’t believe we are “trained” not to drink and drive. But I do understand what you’re saying. This is where I can’t understand his actions. Did he know what he was doing was causing harm? I really don’t know. To us, looking from the outside in through a 20/20 lens, it looks quite obvious harm was being done.

JB: Is it true that in all the world literature, there have only been 6 reported cases of people who have died from a sudden heart event from adrenaline release from a paraganglioma.
DF: That's what the literature says…

JB cut off the rest of his response.

https://twitter.com/anavilastra/status/1382418607179771908?s=21
I'd say the context IS important. If one of the two types of these present almost no symptoms and can be overlooked or missed then yeah well it makes sense that there's not much reported cases of it. Then you could also argue that cases of it have been found but not reported to a medical journal and published for any number of reasons.....

This is comparing apples to oranges I feel. I don’t believe we are “trained” not to drink and drive. But I do understand what you’re saying. This is where I can’t understand his actions. Did he know what he was doing was causing harm? I really don’t know. To us, looking from the outside in through a 20/20 lens, it looks quite obvious harm was being done.

"Trained" not to, "warned" not to. Either way, we're taught it's a crime and the dangers of it. Likewise, he was taught the same about restraints. He's a cop and should be held to the highest standards because lives are on the line based upon his actions. I strongly believe that it doesn't matter what he "knew." It's what a reasonable officer should have known. And we had reasonable officers on the scene telling him what they thought should happen and he ignored them. No excuse for that.

If he got away with it in the past because people happened to live, it still doesn't excuse it in this case..

I'd say the context IS important. If one of the two types of these present almost no symptoms and can be overlooked or missed then yeah well it makes sense that there's not much reported cases of it. Then you could also argue that cases of it have been found but not reported to a medical journal and published for any number of reasons.....

and again, he did not say it caused the death, just that it may have contributed. Even just the natural production of adrenaline could have contributed, given his heart/high BP. IMO

My husband has chronic health issues that has required long term medications that have messed up his adrenaline/adrenal glands, or his "flight or fight" natural response. We typically joke that I can't come up behind him and say "boo" because it might kill him.. we joke, but it's a reality, he carries info in his wallet in case he ever gets into a 'stressful' (body or mind) situation, like a car accident. It can also be a factor if he gets sick, so has to monitor that and supplement accordingly.

Anyone think Chauvin will testify? I doubt it but I did just think of something very interesting....what if he did, would Nelson be able to ask something that elicits Derek to say he initially agreed to a plea deal with 3rd degree but DOJ wouldn't agree to that? THAT would cause quite a circus I imagine

"Trained" not to, "warned" not to. Either way, we're taught it's a crime and the dangers of it. Likewise, he was taught the same about restraints. He's a cop and should be held to the highest standards because lives are on the line based upon his actions. I strongly believe that it doesn't matter what he "knew." It's what a reasonable officer should have known. And we had reasonable officers on the scene telling him what they thought should happen and he ignored them. No excuse for that.

If he got away with it in the past because people happened to live, it still doesn't excuse it in this case..
I agree, he should not simply be excused.

Anyone think Chauvin will testify? I doubt it but I did just think of something very interesting....what if he did, would Nelson be able to ask something that elicits Derek to say he initially agreed to a plea deal with 3rd degree but DOJ wouldn't agree to that? THAT would cause quite a circus I imagine
I’m very torn on this. As I’m sure DC and the defense are too. I think it’s about his only real hope at this point. But mercy would it be a circus and I’m not sure I’d trust Nelson to represent me if I were in his shoes and decided to testify on my own behalf. Nelson’s done a decent job, but I’m not sure he’s a match for the prosecution.

I do not think he will. Do I want him to? ABSOLUTELY! I always want the defendant to testify, but they rarely do.

ETA: Jodi Arias doesn't count, she's a whackadoo :confused:

BBM:

Nope, jmo.

I don't think he will testify. So, if not and this is the last witness for the defense will the judge move up closing arguments to tomorrow and give the jurors their instructions which will start sequestration before the weekend?

No way Nelson puts Chauvin up! No way! The defense case has been discredited through these experts and all Nelson can hope for now is that some jurors will be so loathe to convict a PO of murder that they will hang on those counts and convict him on manslaughter only. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member