Still Missing CA - Kristin Smart, 19, San Luis Obispo, 25 May 1996 *arrests* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Karen Cruz-Orduña @kcruzordunatv 3m
DA Dow says his office has filed a "no body" #homicide in the past and successfully prosecuted. He said the process is more difficult and complicated, but says the office doesn't file charges unless they are confident. #KristinSmart

Karen Cruz-Orduña @kcruzordunatv 3m
Dow says #PaulFlores' dorm room is considered to be a crime scene. #KristinSmart

Karen Cruz-Orduña @kcruzordunatv 11s
Dow says he is concerned about sexual assault cases specifically. #KristinSmart

Karen Cruz-Orduña @kcruzordunatv 59s
"There may be additional victims in the southern California area." -District Attorney Dan Dow #KristinSmart

Dusty Baker @DustyBakerTV 1m
SLO District Attorney Dan Dow said there are potentially more victims of Paul Flores. That is a huge development in the #kristinsmart case.

Ayrton Ostly @Ostly_Media 1m
SLO county DA Dan Dow says there may be "additional victims in the Southern California area." Did not elaborate further but asked potential victims to reach out #kristinsmart

Karen Cruz-Orduña @kcruzordunatv 2m
Statute of limitation for rape has expired, District Attorney Dow said. The allegations that #rape was committed or attempted the rape is the basis for filing felony murder charges. #KristinSmart

Ayrton Ostly @Ostly_Media 3m
Susan Flores has not been charged in relation to the #kristinsmart case. Only Paul and Ruben Flores.

In the Your Own Backyard podcast, Paul's mother Susan made a snarky comment that he did two girls. Kristen and the other name escapes me. Does anyone remember the name?

Paul ruined countless lives, including those in his own family. Why would his father help him conceal KS's body? Did Paul tell him a huge lie as to how she died? It reminds me of Perry March and how he involved his father, Arthur. I can't recall, but I think that Perry told his father that her death was accidental.

If it hadn't been for Janet March's parents' dogged persistence and knowledge of the law, I'm not sure justice would have ever prevailed in that case. Kristin's family has also been persistent in the pursuit of justice for their daughter.

I didn't realize that PF had been offered a six-year deal to tell where KS's remains were. Paul Flores: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

Last edited:
Like everyone else, I am itching to know what evidence LE has uncovered (might there be DNA?), but it appears that we will have to be patient. I am particularly interested to know what evidence they have on RF, PF's dad. I am encouraged by DA Dow's confidence, however.
The arrests brought me back to this case (hooray - finally) and I did a deep dive into some of the coverage trying to figure out where there could have been DNA/evidence. I have one thought about DNA since Kristin (and the earring - arghhh) are missing. In the following article, one thing stood out:

"On June 29, 1996, the mattress on the left side of Santa Lucia Hall Room #128 was seized as evidence and removed from the room."

http://californiaregister.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Issue-2-Volume-3.pdf

Could the mattress have been retested? Could it still be retained as evidence? For DNA? Both semen (there could be another reason that is there) but also for Kristin's DNA?

I also think that the beeping watch might have been found. Just started on the podcast. Fingers crossed that there is sufficient evidence for convictions!

ETA - I also thought it notable that in that heartbreaking statement by Kristin's parents, they specifically gave credit to Sheriff Parkinson - as I recall he was the one who came on board and did the retesting - after some insane earlier missteps.
Justice For Kristin 1hr ·

Statement from the Smart Family regarding today's arrest:
For over twenty-four years, we have waited for this bittersweet day. It is impossible to put into words what this day means for our family; we pray it is the first step to bringing our daughter home. While Kristin’s loving spirit will always live in our hearts, our life without her hugs, laughs and smiles is a heartache that never abates. The knowledge that a father and son, despite our desperate pleas for help, could have withheld this horrible secret for nearly 25 years, denying us the chance to lay our daughter to rest, is an unrelenting and unforgiving pain. We now put our faith in the justice system and move forward, comforted in the knowledge that Kristin has been held in the hearts of so many and that she has not been forgotten.
We honor Kristin today and those who worked with unparalled tenacity and dedication to bring us to this day. Without Kristin in our life, there will never be justice, but we will pray for peace. Unfortunately, the indifference and lack of resolve we experienced early on set the course for many years.
However, when Sheriff Parkinson took office in 2011, he made a promise that Kristin’s disappearance would be one of his top priorities. We are here today because he has remained true to his word. We have kept the faith; never given up; and fully placed our trust and support with him and his team.
The task he and his team accepted was unprecedented in volume and scope, yet they met every setback and challenge with resolve and an unequaled commitment to Kristin and our family.
Our gratitude to Sheriff Parkinson and his department for their professionalism, compassion, and perseverance is without measure. We are forever grateful for Detective Clint Cole who joined ‘Team Kristin’ in 2017 and brought new oxygen to Team Kristin and kept our hopes alive. We would not be here today without his professionalism, perseverance, and dedication. His heart and commitment are without equal.
We would be remiss if we did not acknowledge the exceptional skills, indefatigable work and unselfish dedication of Christopher Lambert who produced Your Own Backyard Podcast. Chris, along with four incredible angels (C, J, J, and J), balanced Kristin on their shoulders while lightening our burden and held our hearts and hopes with fierce resolve and commitment. There simply are ‘no words’!
We also wish to extend our deepest gratitude for all those on the SLOSO team, including Commander Nate Paul, Detective Cole, and their incredible and dedicated support staff. To each law enforcement agency that assisted the San Luis Obispo County Sheriff’s Department with their extraordinary efforts, our gratitude is immeasurable. Each gave 110% to ensure that this day would come.
We are pleased that Kristin’s case has now moved to the district attorney’s office, where we know we will be in good hands, and look forward to the day when there will be ‘justice’ for Kristin.
To HEAL, we must REMEMBER not only Kristin but also every heart that carried Kristin and our family in theirs! Kristin’s story is ultimately one of unwavering commitment, resilience and immense gratitude.

Last edited:
Reference other possible SA victims; it's possible that victims have talked to LE over the years but did not want to go public or press charges out of fear. LE/DA maybe hoping they'll change their minds now or that others will now come forward. My thoughts only.

The Sheriff did explain that he is not able to discuss the details of what was located at the Flores home; however, he could say that Kristin Smart’s body has not been found.

During the Apr. 13 search of Ruben Flores’s home, forensic crews were seen digging and sifting through a portion of the backyard under a blue pop-up tent, similar to where they dug during the search in March.

Throughout the day of the search, the press, neighbors, and other SLO County residents came to watch and speculate what investigators and forensics were looking for or have already found.

During the press conference, the Sheriff could not confirm if Smart’s remains are at a previously search location.

Paul Flores, over the years, has remained a “person of interest” in the case and then in March was named the prime suspect in her disappearance.
Justice Begins for Kristin Smart After Almost 25 Years • Paso Robles Press

Justice For Kristin 1hr ·

Statement from the Smart Family regarding today's arrest:
For over twenty-four years, we have waited for this bittersweet day. It is impossible to put into words what this day means for our family; we pray it is the first step to bringing our daughter home. While Kristin’s loving spirit will always live in our hearts, our life without her hugs, laughs and smiles is a heartache that never abates. The knowledge that a father and son, despite our desperate pleas for help, could have withheld this horrible secret for nearly 25 years, denying us the chance to lay our daughter to rest, is an unrelenting and unforgiving pain. We now put our faith in the justice system and move forward, comforted in the knowledge that Kristin has been held in the hearts of so many and that she has not been forgotten.
We honor Kristin today and those who worked with unparalled tenacity and dedication to bring us to this day. Without Kristin in our life, there will never be justice, but we will pray for peace. Unfortunately, the indifference and lack of resolve we experienced early on set the course for many years.
However, when Sheriff Parkinson took office in 2011, he made a promise that Kristin’s disappearance would be one of his top priorities. We are here today because he has remained true to his word. We have kept the faith; never given up; and fully placed our trust and support with him and his team.
The task he and his team accepted was unprecedented in volume and scope, yet they met every setback and challenge with resolve and an unequaled commitment to Kristin and our family.
Our gratitude to Sheriff Parkinson and his department for their professionalism, compassion, and perseverance is without measure. We are forever grateful for Detective Clint Cole who joined ‘Team Kristin’ in 2017 and brought new oxygen to Team Kristin and kept our hopes alive. We would not be here today without his professionalism, perseverance, and dedication. His heart and commitment are without equal.
We would be remiss if we did not acknowledge the exceptional skills, indefatigable work and unselfish dedication of Christopher Lambert who produced Your Own Backyard Podcast. Chris, along with four incredible angels (C, J, J, and J), balanced Kristin on their shoulders while lightening our burden and held our hearts and hopes with fierce resolve and commitment. There simply are ‘no words’!
We also wish to extend our deepest gratitude for all those on the SLOSO team, including Commander Nate Paul, Detective Cole, and their incredible and dedicated support staff. To each law enforcement agency that assisted the San Luis Obispo County Sheriff’s Department with their extraordinary efforts, our gratitude is immeasurable. Each gave 110% to ensure that this day would come.
We are pleased that Kristin’s case has now moved to the district attorney’s office, where we know we will be in good hands, and look forward to the day when there will be ‘justice’ for Kristin.
To HEAL, we must REMEMBER not only Kristin but also every heart that carried Kristin and our family in theirs! Kristin’s story is ultimately one of unwavering commitment, resilience and immense gratitude.

Though I a heartbroken for Kristin's family, I am so happy that they are finally closer to getting the closure I'm sure they need and deserve.

I just have one question and sorry to be a debbie downer! I found it a little odd that Dennis Mahon wasn't mentioned by her family or said anything about her being found. Does anyone know if he hasn't been involved recently?

Regardless, back to the most important thing: justice for Kristin may finally be able to be served.

We turned to Placer County District Attorney Morgan Gire who says the technology isn’t new but is now being used more frequently forensically.

The technology used in Kristin’s investigation is the same that was used during the search for the body of Christie Wilson who vanished in Placer County in 2005.

The device uses radar pulses and can detect objects including underground irregularities. He says in the case of Christie, there was prior investigative information that helped detectives narrow down specific areas during their search.

“In Christie Wilson’s instance, we had a piece of property that was about 5 acres. So trying to figure out based on other avenues of investigation and intelligence where on that particular portion of that property would be ideal,” he said.

He says the radar also helps pinpoint underground spots that have been previously excavated or disturbed.

“And that may be a good area to prioritize in your investigation to try and see, potentially there might be that body that you are looking for there,” he added.
Placer Couty DA Explains What Ground Penetrating Radar Is And How It Can Help Investigators

GUILTY - CA - Christie Wilson, 27, murdered, Roseville, 5 Oct 2005 *found in 2020*

"I can imagine that yesterday’s news of the arrests in the Kristin Smart case can raise a range of feelings, emotions and questions. While none of us were on the Cal Poly campus when she went missing in 1996, the strong connection that we have to this community makes her loss as present for us today as it was for the community 24 years ago," Humphrey said in a Facebook post.

Humphrey reminded students of Cal Poly's Safer Program that was developed in the fall after Smart's disappearance. The Safer Program provides assistance to members of the campus community and offers confidential resources for victims of "sexual assault, intimate partner violence, domestic violence, stalking, sexual exploitation and harassment."
Cal Poly vice president of student affairs releases letter to campus following developments in Kristin Smart case | NewsChannel 3-12

Though I a heartbroken for Kristin's family, I am so happy that they are finally closer to getting the closure I'm sure they need and deserve.

I just have one question and sorry to be a debbie downer! I found it a little odd that Dennis Mahon wasn't mentioned by her family or said anything about her being found. Does anyone know if he hasn't been involved recently?

Regardless, back to the most important thing: justice for Kristin may finally be able to be served.

I’m not sure but in the Susan Flores interview from last month, I think she mentions him several times (and not nicely!) as the “Smarts’ henchman.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288