MN - George Floyd, 46, died in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #17 - Chauvin Trial Day 14

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is to discuss the case of George Floyd. It is not a thread to discuss racism in general.

Unless your post relates to this case specifically, it is off topic and will be removed.

ADMIN NOTE:

Please stay on topic by discussing the trial without introducing the peripheral matters of riots and protests, BLM, all the extraneous chatter about racial inequities and other social justice issues.

We acknowledge, we understand how critical this trial is in relation to those issues, but we need to stay focused on this case and the trial itself. Yes there is overlap with those important issues, but the thread is specifically dedicated to discussing the George Floyd case and the Derek Chauvin trial and not all those other matters.

If members wish to generally speculate on how such issues may have influenced either the victim or the accused, that's fine, but please don't bring in specifics related to all those other matters and derail the thread with social justice issues that will not be resolved in this discussion.

Thanks !!

ADMIN NOTE:

To say simply that GF possibly had fear as a black man was left as reasonable speculation that doesn't warrant dissecting it any further. IF GF had that fear, surely we can all understand where it may have originated.

Quite a few posts had to be removed due to general back and forth bickering. There is no way to edit that many posts and be able to retain context so a lot of responses got removed in the process.

ADMIN NOTE:

Members have been previously advised not to trash the witnesses. They are not there for our enjoyment or entertainment and there is no need to publicly disparage them or belittle them.

Keep it classy folks !!

Thank you.

Thursday, April 15th:
*Trial continues (Day 14) (@ 8:45am Motions / @ 9:15-9:30am Trial CT) - MN – George Perry Floyd, Jr. (46) (May 25, 2020, Minneapolis, arrested for forgery & killed in police custody) - *Derek Michael Chauvin (44/now 45) police officer who held his knee on Floyd’s neck for 8 minutes & 46 seconds (Note: on 10/14/20 this has been changed to 9 minutes & 29 seconds) (& non responsive for 2 minutes & 53 seconds before officer took his knee off his neck; from 8:19pm to 8:28pm his knee was on Floyd’s neck; has been fired (5/26/20) & arrested & charged (5/29/20) with 3rd degree murder & 2nd degree manslaughter. Charges changed (6/3/20) to 2nd degree murder-unintentional-while committing a felony, 3rd degree murder-perpetrating eminently dangerous act (3rd degree charge was dismissed on 10/22/20 & reinstated on 3/11/21) & evincing depraved mind & 2nd degree manslaughter-culpable negligence creating unreasonable risk. $500K bond, reset (6/8/20) @ $1.25M & $1M with conditions. Posted non-cash $1M bond (10/7/20) & has been released from jail.
Trial began on 3/8/21 with jury selection. Jury selection ran through March 23, 2021. Trial with opening statements & the commencement of the State’s case began on March 29, 2021. Experts anticipate the trial could last 2-4 weeks. Jurors: 12 & 2 alternates (9 women & 5 men). Jurors will be sequestered during deliberations. None of the other officers will be testifying at Chauvin’s trial. The State rested their case on 4/13/21 & had 38 witnesses. Defense started their case on 4/13/21.
Closing arguments will begin Monday, 4/19/21. The jury will be sequestered then.
Jurors’ info & incidents Judge will allow against Chauvin reference post #8 here:
MN - George Floyd, 46, died in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #14 - Chauvin Trial Day 11

Bond conditions & court info 12/19/20 thru 3/23/21 & jury selection (3/9 thru 3/23) & Day 1 to 12 of Trial (3/29 to 4/13/21) reference post #12 here:
MN - George Floyd, 46, died in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #16 - Chauvin Trial Day 13

4/14/21 Wednesday, Trial Day 13: Each morning of the trial the Judge as set aside 9am CT/10am ET for any motions/issues with attorneys.
Motion hearing: Defense has filed a motion for acquittal after the state's case. Defense attorney Eric Nelson argued argued that the State did not prove the case against Cahuvin beyond a reasonable doubt. Citing use of force threshold not met. Also health, cause of death has not been established again, beyond reasonable doubt. Prosecutors argued against motion. Judge Peter Cahill DENIES motion for acquittal. Morries Hall attorney Adrienne Cousins tells the court he *cannot* put himself in Floyd SUV or he opens himself up to a drug related murder-3 charge if Chauvin is eventually acquitted. Judge Cahill dismisses Morries Hall's subpoena finding Hall has the right not to self-incriminate (5th amendment). He will not be testifying.
Defense witness: Nelson on direct: 7) Dr. David Fowler, licensed physician & retired forensic pathologist & was chief medical examiner of Maryland for 2 decades. Blackwell on cross. And re-direct. Blackwell on re-cross.
Judge said he will allow prosecution overnight to prepare a rebuttal case for tomorrow. Court is adjourned until 9:15-9:30am. Judge Cahill reminds jurors not to talk to anyone or watch the news. Trial continues on 4/15/21.

*Charged (722/20) with 6 counts of aiding & abetting taxes-false or fraudulent returns-filed with commissioner & 3 counts of aiding & abetting taxes-failure to file return, report, document. Omnibus hearing on 6/30/21.

The big question is will Chauvin take the stand in his own defense?

“He doesn't really have a great chance of walking away from this case. I think we all see that,” said Chicago attorney Karen Conti to The National Desk’s Jan Jeffcoat. “But he has no chance at all unless he testifies. He has to get up on the stand.”

“These lawyers are going to have to make him charming and make him sympathetic and empathetic, and that's not always an easy task,” said Conti. “He has to also apologize. He has to apologize to this family and say this outcome is not what I wanted, and I apologize, but I was just doing my job because I reasonably believed that there was going to be harm unless I did what I did.”

Will Chauvin take the stand? He has no chance unless he testifies, says lawyer

@MadMcGoo I can’t reply to your response to me on the sidebar thread, so I’ll just say thank you for replying here.

FYI, if you are on a computer (or turn your phone sideways) you will see the post number of the old post when *reply* is no longer available on a locked thread. Click on that, even on a closed thread, and it will give a link to the post which you can then cut/paste. While it may not show what the post says when you do such, it does give a link for folks to click on to read e.g. to share/ find information later.

Just a note for folks that may not be familiar with such, and may come in handy in the future.

DC will not take the stand. I guess this will be over today and frankly the trial has not had any surprises as I would have expected. Almost all expert witnesses after the first couple of days. With all the videos and advance media coverage there just was nothing left. Juror drama (if any) has been kept very quiet . Guess the Carbon Dioxide is the smoking gun??? White dot in mouth? I think 3rd degree will be the compromise and probably come fairly quickly. I do not rule out one hold out which would be terrible at this point.

Okay - real life calls for about a couple of hours for the start of the trial today. Don't know @Chelly is around to do Cathy's tweets - but if not - I'll gather them up when I get back - if I don't see them posted here.

I too don't think Chauvin will take the stand - BUT!! If he does some one has to definitely "tag" me - Please!! ;) I'll keep my laptop open! :cool:

I don't think there's much of a chance that DC will take the stand. I think that would open the door for State to introduce those 2 prior incidents that the Judge ruled as admissible, and possibly other 'character' evidence. (At least I don't think we've seen those incidents presented in court yet... With so much information, it's sometimes difficult to remember what we've learned outside the presence of the Jury and what's actually been entered!) I'd sure love to see that cross, though! MOO

I don't think there's much of a chance that DC will take the stand. I think that would open the door for State to introduce those 2 prior incidents that the Judge ruled as admissible, and possibly other 'character' evidence. (At least I don't think we've seen those incidents presented in court yet... With so much information, it's sometimes difficult to remember what we've learned outside the presence of the Jury and what's actually been entered!) I'd sure love to see that cross, though! MOO

I've been really wondering WHY the state didn't bring in those prior two incidences as one shows he was praised for saving a life by putting in the prone stance. It would be a slam if they indeed had the opportunity to do such after he testifies, but as many here believe, I do not think he will. If he does, that will definitely MOO be one of the states push backs.

Again, I don't see him testifying and will be shocked. And if he doesn't, I'm sad that this prior of him not only KNOWING about recovery, but he got a recognition for such.. has never been presented to the jury as I think so very important.

He was in recovery position when first out of the squad car, and he was moved OUT of such (lower profile to the street when in that position too)

ALL MOO

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members